linux hardware incompatibilty list

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
muggins

#1 Post by muggins »

i don't know if this has been posted before but it could be a useful link to check whether the hardware you're intending to buy is linux friendly.

http://www.leenooks.com/
Last edited by muggins on Fri 11 Jul 2008, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

jonyo

#2 Post by jonyo »

Checked it out & dunno how useful it might be in regards to puppy. Noticed when clicking on the wifi link that the d-link dwl g122 (usb) goes on the 'in'compatibility with linux section- (Wifi cards that don't at all work with Linux).

I've got the B version humming on 4 (all I've tried so far) systems (3 laps & 1 desk) using puppy 2.12 live CD.
Last edited by jonyo on Sat 13 Jan 2007, 02:46, edited 3 times in total.

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

jonyo,

did you post this to the site? as it says:
This site is a wiki, which means anyone can edit the text.

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

although i must say i agree with you about doubts about it's use. what we need is a linux compatibilty list, where you know if you buy model such&such, it will work.

Gn2

#5 Post by Gn2 »

Compatibilty lists - for any platform.... sounds good in theory
In practice there are many - out of date, incorrect/misleading,
subjective opinions instead of proven fact:

All it takes is one lesser known bug - forums are over filled with rants from irate users.
Up to the user to do own research (preferably before purchase).
Many do - & still run into glitches.
Most must face working with the hardware they already have.

The best resource is a good search engine such as Google
Then for distro or hardware specific requirements, dedicated forums.
What works for one Distro - may be impractical on another.

jonyo

#6 Post by jonyo »

Barely glanced at the wiki site & dunno how it works, but will look into it.

Just clicked on the link (after doing a search in puppy forums) to try to find out which wifi's work with puppy.

I'm assuming the site is not Puppy specific.

Skipper

Hello, girls!

#7 Post by Skipper »

All my hardware does run with Puppy! Even that which doesn't work in other distributions, like Debian based (Xubuntu, DSL, Musix); or PCLinuxOS.

There is only a little problem, about an old CD drive, made in China, manufactured in 1999. When I boot my Puppy Live CD, it say that this drive can't be mounted writable, but read-only, and it never start. I guess this can be solved at further editions of Puppy, because it is readed by Puppy, and the other CD-RW drive just run fine.

But, the great new here is that my old 1999 matherboard for Celeron Mendocino, upgraded to Pentium II 400 MHz ("Deschutes", like some distros said), can't recognize my new 80 Gigabytes Hard Disk, but Puppy can! Puppy does completely override the PC hardware detection! It read the non-readable "WDC WD800BB-00JHC0" Western Digital 80 GB (I already had hardware detection problems in other old machines).

And other good new is, that the other very old Hard Disk "FUJITSU MPC3064AT" (6 GB) have many problems about blocks and sectors information. Some distros complains about these errors, and after start, can't write over it. Other distros even doesn't run at all, when it is plugged; they stay freezes at boot! But Puppy Linux does run, and run well whit it, even from it.

Bye!

rockaway

#8 Post by rockaway »

muggins wrote:although i must say i agree with you about doubts about it's use. what we need is a linux compatibilty list, where you know if you buy model such&such, it will work.
I agree the one that muggins posted was that of Linux Incompatible list.The Compatible List Is http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

Hi rockaway,

along similar lines, to you link, is this:

http://hardware4linux.info/type/94/
Last edited by muggins on Tue 10 Jun 2008, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

mano_negra

intel mothers 201

#10 Post by mano_negra »

intel 201GLY2 board works only with the 4.01.
with the 4.00 version does not recongize the usb flash neither the state of the onboard network card.

i have an image running , with the spanish translation (at least in basics,
abiword, gnumeric and seamonkey) , usb scanner hp2410 , lprng as lpd and cups as client. the problem is that i was configured my sfs to full the
usb pen drive, so i dont know how i can share this 986mb image.

puppyluvr

#11 Post by puppyluvr »

The site shows Dell Insperon 1300 cannot do wireless under linux, (no linux driver), and
says ndiswrapper is the only way to make it work...I have to disagree..BCM43XXX (or something like that) works fine on my wifes DEll, running wNOP. (which is one of the only distros to run xorg on her Intel 910/935 video!!)

Of course, Puppy recognizes more hardware than anything else, so maybe the site dont
apply to us...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

KF6SNJ

#12 Post by KF6SNJ »

Near as I can tell, PCLinuxOS shouldn't work at all on my Inspiron. Somehow I think that the Linux Laptop site is in serious need of an updating.

muggins

#13 Post by muggins »

Guys,

If you just post here that it's information is incorrect, or out of date, without registering & updating it, then.....?

zapp22

#14 Post by zapp22 »

zonet ZEW2500P.
ralink 2870 -based.
great device, no worky.

dogged

Mwave sound card is not supported

#15 Post by dogged »

Some ancient systems like the Thinkpad 760XD have an "Mwave" sound card, and there is no driver for it in Puppy.

smith

#16 Post by smith »

Check it out & dunno how useful it might be in regard to puppy. notice when clicking on the wifi link that the d-link dwl g122 (USB) goes on the 'in'compatibility with Linux section. I’ve got the B account droning on 4 (all I've tried so far) system (3 laps & 1 desk) by puppy 2.12 live CD

ObliviousJinx

#17 Post by ObliviousJinx »

muggins wrote:jonyo,

did you post this to the site? as it says:
Yes, it is a wiki but the list is somehow reliable

Boru

installs

#18 Post by Boru »

Although it took some doing, I have managed to install Puppy on my Thinkpad 240 with 168MB of memory. It required removing the HD and installing the system using my desktop and then returning the HD to the 240. The 240 doesn't support external boot and doesn't have a DVD or Floppy, but has a non booting usb port.

This message is being sent on it and all the apps seem to work although slowly.

Thanks for the effort from the puppy team. I now have 4 different linux systems on different machines in home. I guess I enjoy the challenge of making it work.

Thanks for listening

Flash858

Puppy incompatible

#19 Post by Flash858 »

Well, my new video card is not Linux incompatible, but it is Puppy incompatible, as every effort I have made to get the driver installed has failed. I can get it running fine in the "big" distros, but the darn thing just won't build in Puppy.

So I would definitely avoid the Nvidia GT 430 for now...

Aitch

#20 Post by Aitch »

Flash858

Been awhile since your post, but I remember posting this a couple of days ago
There's a dotpet for the Nvidia GT 430

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66961

Aitch :)