32-bit Linux Google Chrome to end in March 2016

News, happenings
jamesbond

32-bit Linux Google Chrome to end in March 2016

#1 Post by jamesbond »

As the title said.

Pertinent excerpt:
Google Chrome Dev wrote:To provide the best experience for the most-used Linux versions, we will end support for Google Chrome on 32-bit Linux, Ubuntu Precise (12.04), and Debian 7 (wheezy) in early March, 2016. Chrome will continue to function on these platforms but will no longer receive updates and security fixes.
But to contain the storm, they also said
We intend to continue supporting the 32-bit build configurations on Linux to support building Chromium. If you are using Precise, we’d recommend that you to upgrade to Trusty.
Source: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.or ... oE6sL-p6oU
Sorry I can't linkify the URL or my post won't show up.

@Flash, if this is not the appropriate forum for this, please move it over elsewhere. Thanks.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

slavvo67

#2 Post by slavvo67 »

Another reason to dislike Google or just the wave of the future? Lately, it seems even Barry is moving away from the 32 bit.

James C

#3 Post by James C »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3010404/ ... ian-7.html
If you purchased your computer in the last decade, it probably has a 64-bit-capable processor. The transition to 64-bit operating systems has been a long one, but Google is about to give Linux users another push. In March 2016, Google will stop releasing Chrome for 32-bit Linux distributions.

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

To provide the best experience for the most-used Linux versions
Hard to see how stopping building for 32-bit can improve the experience on any system...

Although I'm more annoyed when they ruin their core services - gmail's been flagging all my topic reply notifications from this forum as spam for the last few months, even though I keep unflagging them, and have received many thousands in the past without flagging them myself. (If I log into the web interface it says the email doesn't comply with their guidelines as https://support.google.com/mail/answer/ ... entication).
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

darry1966

#5 Post by darry1966 »

“To provide the best experience for the most-used Linux versions, we will end support for Google Chrome on 32-bit Linux, Ubuntu Precise (12.04), and Debian 7 (wheezy) in early March, 2016. Chrome will continue to function on these platforms but will no longer receive updates and security fixes.

A warm fuzzy for Google Chrome users. F-------------------- them.

32bit forever I say.

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

Thumbs up darry1966!

Hoopla aside, I still can't see much of a difference in performance between a
1.9 MgHz mono-core 32-bit computer and a 1.6 MgHz dual-core 64-bit one.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Pelo

Running too fast will break the sleigh

#7 Post by Pelo »

64 bits starts faster, that is sure, Musher0. sled dogs are double.
Then you will need to feed them with 32 bit food ,
Running to fast will break the sleigh :)
Tu ne vois pas la différence ? Je m'en doutais. Au démarrage, on gagne bien 30 secondes pour une heure de Linuxation (relaxation)
I will try to push the needle of the speedometer to red zone, Then 64bits should do a difference, but i am searching a Puppy application for that.
Attachments
speed.png
Old sleds reach high speed with Puppy 64 !
(45.9 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 07:43, edited 2 times in total.

s243a

#8 Post by s243a »

James C wrote:http://www.pcworld.com/article/3010404/ ... ian-7.html
If you purchased your computer in the last decade, it probably has a 64-bit-capable processor. The transition to 64-bit operating systems has been a long one, but Google is about to give Linux users another push. In March 2016, Google will stop releasing Chrome for 32-bit Linux distributions.
A push for what? To add another computer to the landfill? Or however computers are disposed of these days.

bark_bark_bark

#9 Post by bark_bark_bark »

s243a wrote:
James C wrote:http://www.pcworld.com/article/3010404/ ... ian-7.html
A push for what? To add another computer to the landfill? Or however computers are disposed of these days.
Nope, you got it right with landfill.

gcmartin

#10 Post by gcmartin »

This is NOT a Google/Chrome direction. This is an industry direction.

In coursework, it is taught by some professors that 16bit/32bit is old architectures. Thus students concentrate all of their development on the machines they either have or are provided by the schools they attend.

Some of the "refurb for redistribution" non-profits, no longer accept 32bit PCs as they are TOO OLD and they have been receiving 64bit PCs for the past 5 years from donors for redistribution to poor, disadvantaged, educational, or needy locations.

One other thing with is ever-so-important to note is that there continues to be MUCH software technology that still is around which functions perfectly well on 32bit PCs. And, there are lots of PUP available which are 32bit ONLY accessible via the forum.

Lastly, NO ONE is required to use anything that they don't like or want. So, it is important to make a choice that matches what you would like to have and do.

Time will NOT stop. And industry will continue to innovate to match directional needs as they see.

Thanks @JamesBond for the heads-up.

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

@gcmartin and all:

"Time is an ever-flowing river," as the saying goes. Of course... but then again,
book technology has been stable for the past 500 years... The simple book
technology can be credited with humans being where they are today. Quite a feat,
I'd say.

Tech changes so fast nowadays, you couldn't finish storing the entire knowledge of
humanity on medium X before medium Y appeared and made medium X obsolete.
You're not finished with your task on medium X and you have to start over on
medium Y.

Compared to book technology, this is not good for human evolution. Not good at
all. Humans need stability. You need to keep medium X until you're finished with
your task -- and distributed it. If you change tech too fast, you're caught in the
tech loop only, like the gerbil in her carousel. You don't have the time to distribute
or publish to others the human benefits that particular tech or medium can produce.

"Factorial 32" technology provides nuances of color and sound way beyond human
perception already. In that respect, "factorial 64" technology can't bring anything
more. There are certainly machine or technical or science advantages to going
64-bit, but not strictly human advantages.

You could see and hear the result of the transition from 8-bit to 16-bit computers,
and later from 16-bit to 32-bit computers. But humans do not have the sensory
capability to notice the transition from 32-bit to 64-bit computers.

A digital 64-bit sine wave can emulate better the natural, analog sine wave of say,
a flute? Technically, that is true; however we humans are not equipped to hear
this difference.

Also, what's wrong with going to a school concert and hearing your daughter play
a real flute live with her band? That's out of context, you'll say. I'm not so sure.

Think about it. Technology is for human use -- not the other way around. At least
humans should NOT be used as technology.

Try how this sounds: "Humans are for technology's use." It doesn't work, does it?
Now try this sentence: "Your daughter is for technology's use." You're up in a roar.

My conclusion is this:
We should keep the strain of 32-bit computers for "ordinary humans" (aka simple
mortals) and market 64-bit computers only to scientists and die-hard techies. Let's
put the brakes on "escaping into the future". Let's enjoy life more, the here and
now, and share it with others, with the tech that we currently have.

My 2¢. TWYL.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

starhawk

#12 Post by starhawk »

musher0, I know your post wasn't directed at me -- but I read it, and I like what you say ;)

I concur.

Just wanted to put that out there.

bark_bark_bark

#13 Post by bark_bark_bark »

starhawk wrote:musher0, I know your post wasn't directed at me -- but I read it, and I like what you say ;)

I concur.

Just wanted to put that out there.
Same here, but I myself need 64bit for gaming.

musher0

#14 Post by musher0 »

Thanks guys! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

darry1966

#15 Post by darry1966 »

Hi Musher and others

I still use 2 32bit Laptops and will continue to do so, as they do want I need computing wise. They were cheap and run Linux well.

I'm in no hurry to go down the 64bit path and if I did it would be an older machine without the odious UEFI thing.

smokey01

#16 Post by smokey01 »

I prefer 64bit as it's much faster when compiling but I must admit I'm not keen on UEFI, at the moment anyway. Maybe it will improve down the track.

What we need is a browser that can take the place of google-chrome so we can watch Netfix etc.

nubc

#17 Post by nubc »

Code: Select all

Users affected will still be able to use Chrome after the axe has fallen, but they will no longer receive any updates.
What updates? The problem with Google is that it lacks a visionary leader with perspective, someone like Steve Jobs. Google is just as imperious as Microsoft when it comes to pushing state-of-the-art hardware and equipment.

darry1966

#18 Post by darry1966 »

nubc wrote:

Users affected will still be able to use Chrome after the axe has fallen, but they will no longer receive any updates.
What updates? The problem with Google is that it lacks a visionary leader with perspective, someone like Steve Jobs. Google is just as imperious as Microsoft when it comes to pushing state-of-the-art hardware and equipment.
Too true.

s243a

#19 Post by s243a »

nubc wrote:

I sort of wonder if they get some deals from hardware vendors by pushing state of the art hardware.

Burn_IT

#20 Post by Burn_IT »

Of course they do!
They (and all others) push people to buy new hardware of any/all sorts.
Then the new hardware requires new software.

And round and round we go on the marketing carousel.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett