How Do I Mount Remote Hard Disks?

Using applications, configuring, problems
ozboomer

How Do I Mount Remote Hard Disks?

#1 Post by ozboomer »

I have a couple of PCs running 1.0.1 and 1.0.4 versions of Puppy and I have the networking going over a crossover cable between the two. I can 'ping' and so on... but, in a nutshell, what do I have to do on each PC to make the other computer's hard disks visible/mountable on each PC?

As is often the case, for some unknown reason, the Wiki is inaccessible at the moment (well, it takes 2-3 mins. to render a page)... and I've looked there before and haven't had any joy finding any relevant info.

Thanks in anticipation...

John

#2 Post by Guest »

Depending which way you wanna do it..

The *nix way

grab nfs utils and portmap packages and you'll be wanting a proper version of mount as busybox's mount doesn't do nfs mounts from slackware-9.1 and higher and unatr them to suitable directories

trot over to the linux documantation project web site and follow the howto for nfs or google for NFS HOWTO.......Now I know that puppy has the nfs filesystem modules modules but I can't remember if the kernel is configured for nfs server.

or you could do the SAMBA but this is a huge install

ozboomer

#3 Post by ozboomer »

bladehunter wrote:grab nfs utils and portmap packages and you'll be wanting a proper version of mount as busybox's mount doesn't do nfs mounts from slackware-9.1 and higher and unatr them to suitable directories

trot over to the linux documantation project web site and follow the howto for nfs or google for NFS HOWTO.......Now I know that puppy has the nfs filesystem modules modules but I can't remember if the kernel is configured for nfs server.
Okie... The biggest requirement here is *simple* :)

When I work it out, I'll probably write-up a lil' HOWTO on this, 'coz I can see it being a common thing to do when people want to migrate between PCs.

Fanx!

#4 Post by Guest »

That's how I learnt to do NFS about 12 months ago..it's a very clear and concise howto and has some good problem solving suggestions

ozboomer

#5 Post by ozboomer »

bladehunter wrote:grab nfs utils and portmap packages and you'll be wanting a proper version of mount as busybox's mount doesn't do nfs mounts from slackware-9.1 and higher and unatr them to suitable directories
I've found a couple of RPMs for nfs-utils, portmap and mount for RedHat 8.0 i386... Will they be suitable for use in Puppy? I can't find anything referring to Slackware in rpmfind.net ... and there's no mention of any of these in pupget or DotPups...

...and I've not done any 'make-do' installations for a long time now... so can I simply unpack the .rpm contents into the 'correct' directories on startup and unionfs will take care of everything? (I understand I would need to 'unleash' things and/or remaster Puppy to make the installations of nfs-utils, etc permanent).

#6 Post by Guest »

Ok feeling kinda groovy

Got the required stuff from slackware...included the nfsd kernel module too...have a look in tthe archive to see whats here and you can decide where to put things

I think you may have

insmod sunrpc
insmod lockd
insmod nfsd

That should do ther server

for the client
modprobe nfs

I've included the startup scripts from slackware for portmap and the nfs server cos I think if I remember correctly you are a bit of a shell scripter
Last edited by Guest on Sun 07 Aug 2005, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

ozboomer

#7 Post by ozboomer »

Thanks... Have collected the slackware items... but the mount item in this discussion is missing -- when I try to download the mount file, the forum says the file doesn't exist anymore.. ???

#8 Post by Guest »

oooops ummmmm I kinda edited the post....hope you didnt waste too much time downloading :oops:

ozboomer

#9 Post by ozboomer »

ooop! We running our msgs at the same time, methinks :)

Okie... I'll grab the nfs thingy you've put up... I've yet to examine/unpack any of these just yet but if these things need something in /usr/lib or /var/lib, I'm not sure what I'll haveta do with it.

Anyway, Fanx! for the help... and ya, I'm more-or-less familiar with shell scripts [ altho, perl is my forte :) ]

ozboomer

#10 Post by ozboomer »

I appreciate the efforts in building the .tgz etc but the startup scripts in the one bladehunter posted, as well as in the slackware 'nfs-utils' package all refer to something that doesn't seem to exist in puppy - /usr/sbin/rcpinfo ...

It's mainly used to see if the networking things are actually running but is it something that is required for nfs to work? I guess it isn't but I don't want to compromise something with my Puppy installations.

Also, it would seem I *need* to do the 'unpacking' of the .tgz or .rpms at every boot (unless I remaster Puppy) as the scripts in various locations (/usr/sbin, /etc/rc.d/init.d, etc) all fully-reference the various 'elements', eg /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd)...

...unless I make my Puppy 'customized' and non-standard and change all the scripts that are used to point to my own, custom locations. I guess that's what you were talking about, bladehunter?

Hmm... Having such customizations will make for a problematic upgrade path when new versions of Puppy are released. Will have to think about that more...

#11 Post by Guest »

Just unpack the binaries and kernel modules into /root/my-applications/nfs

rename mount to mount-FULL and put that into /root/my-applications/bin

Add the nfs server commands into rc.local remembering the locations where you put the binaries

Or create a rc.nfs-server & rc.portmap script for puppy and call them from rc.local

By putting things into /root/my-applications things should survive the upgrade path without too much worry

I could do a roughie dotpup but would need your help in cleaning up the start-stop-restart scripts...interested...I know not a wide audience but it would be there.....or maybe barry could be persuaded to add the needed stuff to main stream Puppy as I dont think it would add a great deal of stuff and would be great for Puppy accessing remote unix shares

#12 Post by Guest »

I'm going to test a kernel (2.4.29) with nfs client and server stuff compiled in...I don't know if it will suit you application but it's given me the idea anyways :)

rarsa

#13 Post by rarsa »

This thread is great, I think it will help many people that need to map drives.

Still, I'm going to start one step back. What is your need?

A) Do you need to mount the folders
or
B) Do you want to be able to copy files between computers?

If it's A, this is the right thread.

If it's B, you could just use FTP . Puppy comes with a simple FTP server "Start | Network | BetaFTPD FTP Server". You can have it running in 5 minutes without downloading anything else.

ozboomer

#14 Post by ozboomer »

Ok... I've been thinking about all this, too.

If we put everything in /root/my-applications/nfs... we use the 'complete' (full-featured) mount image... and we write a couple of scripts (in rc.d) to start nfs for a server and a client... and call those from rc.local, *theoretically* it should all work, I agree. It's just that I'm not too flash on Linux dependencies, etc and if things are missing from 'vanilla Puppy'...
bladehunter wrote:By putting things into /root/my-applications things should survive the upgrade path without too much worry
Yup... although, we still have to watch when upgrades come through that nearly everything in /root/... is 'touched' or something -- I think sysinit still has this silly 'copy everything from the CD even if it's older' command in there, so etc/hosts, etc/hosts.deny, /etc/exports, etc might all be trashed with an upgrade.
bladehunter wrote:I could do a roughie dotpup but would need your help in cleaning up the start-stop-restart scripts...interested...
Surely... and we can get lots of info from the existing scripts to see what issues are addressed in the startup/shutdown/restart, etc.
bladehunter wrote:I know not a wide audience but it would be there.....or maybe barry could be persuaded to add the needed stuff to main stream Puppy as I dont think it would add a great deal of stuff and would be great for Puppy accessing remote unix shares
For me, it's a philosophy question. Barry's 'Mission Statement' talks about Puppy being 'extremely friendly for Linux newbies' and will 'have all the applications needed for daily use'. Particularly where we have people moving from M$ into a Linux environment, one of the things that's critical is that people can access their old data... easily.

To have the Ethernet/network wizard is a great start (I've managed to get my 2 PCs talking at least with minimal effort... but we still need to explain a bit more about IPs and netmasks... but to get the computers connected isn't too bad)... but we need to make things simple for new people to get to their old data. Plug in a cable... run a wizard or two... and they can get to their old data quickly... that's what I think we need to do (and why I'm an advocate for automounters... we can always use something like MTU to disable startup mounts.. ultimately)... but I get sidetracked AGAIN.

I'll have a go at your last post re: file locations, etc... and see what happens. That ref. you gave to the LDP was/is very useful and I'm still ploughing through it :)

ozboomer

#15 Post by ozboomer »

rarsa wrote:What is your need?

A) Do you need to mount the folders
or
B) Do you want to be able to copy files between computers?

If it's A, this is the right thread.

If it's B, you could just use FTP . Puppy comes with a simple FTP server "Start | Network | BetaFTPD FTP Server". You can have it running in 5 minutes without downloading anything else.
FTP is probably sufficient... but for me, I have a couple of requirements...

I want to find out more about Linux anyway... and Puppy is fairly kind :)

...and I'm talking about transferring complete directory structures. It's far easier to just drag'n'drop with Rox, etc than to try and work out an ftp script and/or do things interactively... especially if we're going to give this sort of facility to the non-technical user. They don't 'need to know (minister!)'... that nfs is running, disks are being mounted remotely, blah, blah, blah... *until* they really NEED to know about such things. The Puppy philosophy again - it just works.

Anyway, enough of this for now... I've been Puppying for... (looks at the boot time for Puppy running on his M$ PC) ...5.5 hours and my brain needs a rest :P

Many thanks for everyone's interest...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

I avoid the difficulty of making two computers talk to each other by transferring the files to a rewriteable CD or DVD, or a USB pen drive. This approach is not a long-term solution, and not all computers will have the necessary hardware for it, but it is a quick and dirty solution for when you occasionally need to transfer a few files.

ozboomer

#17 Post by ozboomer »

I've been trying to do something with all this just now... with no joy at all.
bladehunter wrote:Just unpack the binaries and kernel modules into /root/my-applications/nfs

rename mount to mount-FULL and put that into /root/my-applications/bin
Doing that broke my startup disk mount scripts, although I don't know how, considering I only call 'mount' and not mount-FULL... As soon as I removed /root/my-applications/mount-FULL and umount, all my disks appeared again on the next reboot.

Additionally, when I entered the 'server' commands into rc.d/rc.local, viz:

/root/my-applications/nfs/rpc.portmap
...rpc.mountd
...rpc.nfsd
...rpc.lockd
...rpc.rquotad

...each of the programs complained about no such directory, /var/lib/nfs (as well as there not being any rpc.rquotad at all).

So, it seems we'll have to try building a .tgz, .rpm, etc that gets unpacked into the correct, conventional locations in RAM disk at boot time and we'll try it again.

#18 Post by Guest »

Hang on I'll give it a whirl on a fresh pup001 file with a kernel with nfs client\server modules compiled in

ozboomer

#19 Post by ozboomer »

bladehunter wrote:Hang on I'll give it a whirl on a fresh pup001 file with a kernel with nfs client\server modules compiled in
Ok.. I just tried unpacking and setting-up the Slackware 9.1 images... and, after setting files to executable (doing all my un/packing on Win98 removed some of the attributes, I think) and building a .gz file which I unpacked into the correct dirs. on Puppy 1.0.4, I had the following:

rpc.portmap - ran and is in the 'ps' list
rpc.mountd - ran without displayed error but created no 'ps' entry
rpc.nfsd - ran without displayed error but created no 'ps' entry
rpc.statd - ran and is in the 'ps' list
rpc.lockd - ran but terminated with the error -
lockdsvc: Function not implemented

I REALLY don't know what I'm doing here... but at least I have backups that I can roll back to after tonight :)

FYI...

#20 Post by Guest »

Ok I missed the lib required form e2fsprogs-1.35

libuiid.so.1.2 which needs to be symlinked to libuuid.so.1
libblkid.so.1.0 which needs to be symlinked to libblkid.so.1

Now I mount a share a ok.....now to export one