DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#21 Post by fredx181 »

mcewanw wrote:
saintless wrote:Hi Fred.

Congratulations and sorry I can't give any testing reports but I'm sure William and others will do soon.
...Toni
Hi Fred, Toni,

It being summer here I haven't been using computer much so just noticed this new DebianDog64 post. Wow, I was delighted to see it since the only omission in the great DebianDog series (hope you manage a MintPup64 one day, but never a hurry). I will indeed be trying this out Fred - plan to download the iso tomorrow and maybe install on my partner's machine since she prefers a 64bit system. Almost Christmas Toni, I hope someone buys you a 64bit machine! ;-)

William
Hi William, looking forward to your test results.
I'm at the point of updating the iso, probably today or tomorrow, many essential things I forgot, so needs fixing.

One thing I'd like to ask help for, when you have time, is, e.g: picdrop which is missing in DD64, I don't have a clue how to do it yet (compile BACON app).

Fred

fredx181

#22 Post by fredx181 »

New DebianDog64-Jessie iso image uploaded:
Iso: DebianDog64-Jessie-openbox-2015-12-15.iso Size: 219MB
Md5sum: DebianDog64-Jessie-openbox-2015-12-15.md5

Browse DebDog64-Jessie at DropBox

First post link and information updated.

Changes and fixes list and information:

- File associations better organized. include some more pcmanfm custom actions.
- Smaller icons for wbar and move more to the left so there's no overlap with the clock.
- rox-pinboard icons, move to the left of screen, so no overlap by the clock.
(made mistake by initially testing only with wide-screen, should be ok also on 4:3 monitor)
- Upgrade of package "openbox-light" to version 0.0.4-dd (synchronized with the changes above)
- Add packages firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree
- Add some more firmware for wireless (e.g. b43, ipw2x00, etc..).
- Fixed a mistake I made resulting in games not working as /usr/games is not included in PATH for root, solution:
In /etc/profile the PATH needs changed for root, instead:

Code: Select all

if [ "`id -u`" -eq 0 ]; then
  PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
else
  PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games"
fi
export PATH
It should be this (to include /usr/games for root):

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games"
[ "`id -u`" -eq 0 ]&& PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
export PATH
Fred

mcewanw

#23 Post by mcewanw »

Downloading iso now. Will be first time I've tried Jessie-based DD actually. Just been using Wheezy variant, and MintPup more often recently.

Looking forward to trying it out.

William
github mcewanw

stemsee

#24 Post by stemsee »

Hi Fred

Is there a devx or just install development files independently?

fredx181

#25 Post by fredx181 »

stemsee wrote:Hi Fred

Is there a devx or just install development files independently?
Yes, in Extra-Mudules folder:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/363 ... ashfs?dl=1

Or downoad it using SFS-get from Menu>Accessories

Fred

mikeslr

How to create bootable DebianDog USB from Puppy?

#26 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Fred & All,

Maybe I missed it? Is there an easy way to create a USB-Key that will boot DebianDog64 --or any other DebianDog-- when one is running Puppy Linux?

Step 1. Boot into Puppy Linux.
Step 2. Download DebianDog ISO.
Step 3. Plug in USB-Key.

Then what?

mikesLr

fredx181

Re: How to create bootable DebianDog USB from Puppy?

#27 Post by fredx181 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Fred & All,

Maybe I missed it? Is there an easy way to create a USB-Key that will boot DebianDog64 --or any other DebianDog-- when one is running Puppy Linux?

Step 3. Plug in USB-Key.

Then what?

mikesLr
Hi mikeslr,

It depends if the usb-key you use is already bootable, e.g bootloader syslinux or grub4dos installed.
If it is bootable, see here for boot options;
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 571#771571
(for DebianDog64: 'live-boot-2' does not apply)
Then it's a matter of copying the 'live' folder from the (mounted) iso to the usb-key and add entry to menu.lst (in case grub4dos), example porteus-boot menu.lst entry for usb-key sdb1:

title Debian-PorteusDog (sdb1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ 
initrd /live/initrd1.xz 
In case it is not bootable yet, tell me if you need more info about that.
(have to arrange more for that to make things work for DebianDog64)
For DebianDog 32 bit there's a portable DebianDog-installer which should work running on Puppy:

http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/De ... ler.tar.gz

Fred

drunkjedi

Re: How to create bootable DebianDog USB from Puppy?

#28 Post by drunkjedi »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Fred & All,

Step 3. Plug in USB-Key.

Then what?

mikesLr
Hi mike,
I have used syslinux a year ago to create bootable usb stick.
The how to I followed is here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54566

I now use that drive to boot many puppies.

I just have to mount a ISO, copy it's contents in a folder, Copy data from isolinux.cfg on that iso, and paste it in syslinux.cfg on pen drive with the folder name appended to it.

My pendrive has Fatdog64, Tahrpup, Tahr64, Debiandog32, Debiandog64, Slacko64, in it.
No other installer ever used.

If your usb is formatted with ext filesystem, you can use extlinux in same way.

Both extlinux and syslinux are available in all puppy linuxes (I think).

Hope this helps.

mcewanw

#29 Post by mcewanw »

Hello Fred,

DD Jessie64 booted fine on my HP Elitebook. Looks great.

Ethernet connectivity working out of the box, but wireless, on my machine isn't.

I checked and the system already contains the firmware-iwlwifi my machine needs as documented in example 2 of my DebianDog wireless howto link:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98112

However, frisbee couldn't find my wifi network. I believe it needs to access rfkill command to software enable the wifi adapter but, after a quick look, I believe the rfkill command is missing on the system, so I will need to install that later and hopefully all will be well after that. I documented the rfkill situation that is necessary for some machines (such as my HP Elitebook) in the thread here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 377#855377

Note, from the discussion there, that frisbee uses the rfkill command to soft enable the wifi adapter via frisbee function script /usr/lib/frisbee/func.

If I'm correct that rfkill command is missing from the system, I'd thus advise you to install it.

I'll confirm later if that addition fixes my wifi once I swap the machine over to ethernet connection point and find rfkill to install.

William
Last edited by mcewanw on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

mikeslr

Thanks

#30 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks Fred & drunkjedi,

for the clear instructions.

Been using Puppies for years. Got creating bootable Puppy USB-keys from Puppies down to a science. After the three steps I mentioned, Step 4 (depending on circumstances) gparted to format Key and flag as bootable; Step 5 Unpack ISO to Key; Step 6 install Grub4Dos to Key -- which, I found out doesn't work with DebianDogs.

Fred's recipe seems like an easy to remember variation.

Interestingly, drunkjedi suggestion that syslinux might be available in all Pups aroused my curiosity. As syslinux doesn't show up on the Menu, I started PPM to see if a version was easily installable. PPM reported that a version was already installed. Terminal "syslinux --h" confirmed that. I suspect its part of the Puppy (Universal) Installer. If so, it would in fact be available in all Pups.

By the way, IIRC, while running Windows LinuxLiveUSB Creator had no difficulty creating a bootable USB-Key from the MintPup (Trusty) ISO.

Thanks again,

mikesLr

fredx181

#31 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks William, added rfkill to the Changes and fixes list

The disadvantage of building from scratch is that initially some rather essential packages are not installed, there might be some more I overlooked.

Fred

dancytron

Using Latest Version of Chrome

#32 Post by dancytron »

Hi everyone,

I just finished setting up the latest version of Chrome to run from root (mainly for Netflix).

I downloaded the latest iso and did a manual frugal install as I described before and installed all the stuff I usually install.

I then used Iceweasel to go to the Chrome website and download the Chrome 64 .deb file. When it downloaded, I let it install it directly from Iceweasel.

I found 2 ways to get it to run when logged in as root, I am sure there are more.

The first is to use the --no-sandbox switch. I created the following script and put a link to it on my desktop.

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --user-data-dir=/root/chrome/user --disk-cache-dir="/root/chrome/cache" --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 --no-sandbox
The other parameters aren't really necessary.

This results in a warning everytime you log on that running without the sandbox isn't safe.

So, I searched and found a way to run it as user puppy.

First, you need to install the package "gksu".

Then, you can create the following script.

#!/bin/sh

gksu -u puppy "/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --user-data-dir=/home/puppy/chrome/user --disk-cache-dir=/home/puppy/chrome/cache --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000"
All the extra parameters aren't actually needed, this will work just fine.

#!/bin/sh

gksu -u puppy /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable
The first time you use it, you get a warning about changing users without a password, but you can check a box so you don't get that again.

After that, I uninstalled Iceweasel and remastered. During the remaster, I used GDmap to search and delete all the Iceweasel cache and configuration and all the left over Chrome user profiles and caches. I ended up with a 240 MB .squashfs file with Chrome set up and Iceweasel gone.

Edit: I also had to go into pcmanfm, find an *.html file, and add the correct parameters to get Chrome to open local *.html files. See attached. I assume that I'll need to do the same for rox filer.

Probably a better/different way to do this would be to find the wrapper script that Chrome uses and alter it, like some of the people who make Chrome pets and sfs's for Puppy do. I assume if you did that, the same approach I used would still work.
Attachments
debdog-20151217164502.jpg
(41.77 KiB) Downloaded 1637 times
chrome-puppy-gksu3.sh.zip
remove .zip. not really compressed.
(193 Bytes) Downloaded 406 times

drunkjedi

Re: Thanks

#33 Post by drunkjedi »

mikeslr wrote:Interestingly, drunkjedi suggestion that syslinux might be available in all Pups aroused my curiosity.
I have found that Syslinux comes pre-installed on all Pups, and also on Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware too.
Also can be used on windows too.

So Creating a bootable USB from any PC may be possible with it.

See http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX

mcewanw

#34 Post by mcewanw »

I'm sick at the moment, Fred, so haven't done any further testing as yet. I forgot to check if CPU Freq utilites was installed. I think it should be.

Hopefully I'll get back to testing in a day or two.

Cheers,

William
github mcewanw

mikeslr

Follow-up on Installing to USB-Key

#35 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Fred & All,

Followed your instructions which went without a hitch. Used the USB-Key to boot into a Dell Latitude E6400. Everything worked OOTB.

It happens I've been exploring the potential of an Acer AspireOne D270, a netbook which, when I acquired it, had a problematic video card. Since then the new Pups I've tried have provided acceptable graphic. As it only came with 1 Gb of RAM, I was researching upgrading that and noticed, in passing, that its specs indicated that it had 64-Bit architecture.

So having a DebianDog64 on a bootable USB-Key, I figured "what the hell."

Booted to desktop without a hitch. The rest of my quick discoveries you can find here as I thought it worth reporting on the Laptop Thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 446#877446

I must say, you and saintless do some fine work. :D Thanks a lot.

mikesLr

Atle

#36 Post by Atle »

Testet on ASUS U36 with no problems what so ever, apart from the boot option "default", not making it to the desktop.

But once the other options worked and so did the rest. Savefile came out fine and more testing is upcoming.

Very good looking... Very good work

EDIT... The only thing that at least for me is so important is Grub4dos... i could not find it, but i might just not be looking good enough...

fredx181

#37 Post by fredx181 »

mcewanw wrote:I'm sick at the moment, Fred, so haven't done any further testing as yet. I forgot to check if CPU Freq utilites was installed. I think it should be.

Hopefully I'll get back to testing in a day or two.

Cheers,

William
Take your time William, all the best.
Indeed cpufrequtils is not included, thanks, added to the fixes and changes list

Fred

fredx181

#38 Post by fredx181 »

Hi mikeslr,

Thanks for the report!
Booted to desktop without a hitch. The rest of my quick discoveries you can find here as I thought it worth reporting on the Laptop Thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 446#877446
Reading your post in the laptop thread, a few comments:
- Playing Youtube video from Iceweasel works because of HTML5 support, Flashplayer is NOT included in DD64 iso.
It can be installed however by typing in terminal:

apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
Or from Synaptic package manager, search for 'flashplugin-nonfree'
- Sound is set very low at first time boot (without changes saved to savefile/folder)
It can be increased from Menu> Multimedia> Alsamixergui or from volume tray icon (Open Mixer)
I'm not sure I understood well you have problem with it, just mentioning anyway.

Fred

fredx181

#39 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Atle,

Thanks for your reply, glad you like it!
EDIT... The only thing that at least for me is so important is Grub4dos... i could not find it, but i might just not be looking good enough...
You probably mean grub4dosconfig? It's not included in DebianDog64.
Just for info, the DebianDog Installer (included) has option to create grub4dos MBR and menu.list with grldr to make bootable usb or hdd (also there's choice to use syslinux or extlinux bootloader).
But it's only for DebianDog frugal install.
What do you need grub4dosconfig for on DebianDog?
Asking because I'm just curious as I think it's more specific to Puppy, I tried it already on DD, and noticed it doesn't find any DD installs for some reason.

Fred

mikeslr

Corrected post on Laptop thread

#40 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Fred,

I corrected my wrong guess about flashplayer on the Laptop thread, quoting your instructions.

I had figured out how to increase sound volume. My comment about "tinny" was perhaps a misguided attempt at humor only owners of the Acer AspireOne D270 might get. On par with its choice of an odd-ball graphic card, tinny is a consequence of the low-end sound card chosen by Acer to keep its production costs down. It was marketed at about $150 below the cost of high-end netbooks: a solid and useful machine, but don't expect perfection.

No OS I've run on it produces better sound quality. In fact, DD64 --at least in terms of volume control-- surpass several I've tested.

mikesLr