DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

Re: Corrected post on Laptop thread

#41 Post by fredx181 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Fred,

I corrected my wrong guess about flashplayer on the Laptop thread, quoting your instructions.

I had figured out how to increase sound volume. My comment about "tinny" was perhaps a misguided attempt at humor only owners of the Acer AspireOne D270 might get. On par with its choice of an odd-ball graphic card, tinny is a consequence of the low-end sound card chosen by Acer to keep its production costs down. It was marketed at about $150 below the cost of high-end netbooks: a solid and useful machine, but don't expect perfection.

No OS I've run on it produces better sound quality. In fact, DD64 --at least in terms of volume control-- surpass several I've tested.

mikesLr
Ah.. I see.

@Atle

I added grub4dosconfig to the repository.
Install from terminal:

Code: Select all

apt-get update # Refresh package list info
apt-get install grub4dosconfig
Or from Synaptic
It's a slighly older version (1.8.9) as the latest.
Latest v 1.9.2 somehow doesn't scan my puppy installs properly.

Fred

Atle

#42 Post by Atle »

Wow... that was quick

I just think grub4dos is one of the reasons puppy rocks.. it give me a simple way to control various installations etc

THANKS FRED

atle

Atle

#43 Post by Atle »

GTK Youtube issue

when i tested it, the program just stopped in the middle of the first video.
It reported to have stopped and i was asked to terminate it.

just as that was done the second issue occurred:

Then my Wlan connection started to play ping pong... Going on and off as for the connection. ...

more testing will be done...

fredx181

#44 Post by fredx181 »

Atle wrote:GTK Youtube issue

when i tested it, the program just stopped in the middle of the first video.
It reported to have stopped and i was asked to terminate it.

just as that was done the second issue occurred:

Then my Wlan connection started to play ping pong... Going on and off as for the connection. ...
Hi Atle,

I suspect that the video play error from gtk-youtube-viewer has to do with the dropping of your internet connection.

I have the same problem Wlan falling out, but only sometimes, my wifi adapter is iwlwifi, what's yours?

Can you test other frisbee version? To see if it's any better
The only change is that I added higher dhcpcd binary version.

Install from terminal (will be upgraded as I added higher frisbee version to repository):
apt-get update
apt-get install frisbee

EDIT: Sorry changed my mind about above, better add packages for testing not to the repo, instead download:
< removed link >
After that you'll need to setup wireless connection again because the earlier saved wireless profile has been removed.
Edit1: Removed the link above as it doesn't seem to solve anything from my further tests.

To get back to the previous (included) version:

apt-get install frisbee=1.2-20140602
EDIT2:
This might help (for iwlwifi) from terminal as root:

echo "options iwlmvm power_scheme=1" | tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlmvm.conf
echo "options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=Y swcrypto=1 11n_disable=1" | tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
Taken from here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/571236/1 ... et-renewed

EDIT3:
By more testing the above doesn't work (at least for me), here's a pretty workaround/fix for frisbee in case you experience wireless drop-outs:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 313#878313

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 23 Dec 2015, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#45 Post by dancytron »

I think you are missing the package gpart. I tried to use gparted to rescue data on a thumb drive and it said it was missing. After I installed it, then it worked.

Dan

fredx181

#46 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:I think you are missing the package gpart. I tried to use gparted to rescue data on a thumb drive and it said it was missing. After I installed it, then it worked.

Dan
That's very strange, I included gparted in iso.
Did you try from terminal?: gparted

Edit: Sorry, yes, "gpart" is missing indeed, I just thought at first you couldn't run gparted, added gpart install to Changes and fixes list
Thanks!

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 23 Dec 2015, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#47 Post by fredx181 »

Upgrade of package 'frisbee' to version 1.2-20140602dd64-mod
Fixed:
Modified /usr/sbin/dhcpcd_dropwait_option script so that it makes proper use of the "dropwait" -j switch from dhcpcd (which is included in in frisbee package)
This way wireless connection will reconnect directly (if dropped connection) instead of the whole restarting network process.
See some more about "dropwait" here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 288#803288
In DebianDog 32 bit, it's OK as it is because it has slightly different version of dhcpcd (dropwait -j switch works well).

Install from terminal:

apt-get update # update package list info
apt-get install frisbee # will upgrade to latest version
Added to Changes and fixes list

And edited post about this subject here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 748#877748

Fred

fredx181

#48 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

See Changes and fixes list
for "Added new to DebianDog64 repository" and "Added new to DebianDog64 Extra-Modules for loading with SFS-load", e.g:
- slimjet, Slimjet is a fast, smart and powerful web browser based on the Blink engine

Fred

Atle

#49 Post by Atle »

what will be the chance of there being a 32 and 64 bits Debdog that looks just the same and can both run the unstable branch of Scribus(1.5)

http://www.scribus.net/downloads/unstable-branch/

I am really looking for such a solution. the 32 bits is the primary, but also having full breed 64 bits would be nice

atle

fredx181

#50 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Atle,
what will be the chance of there being a 32 and 64 bits Debdog that looks just the same
Who knows, but I guess little chance, because DebianDog is Toni's project (specially Jwm version) and he hasn't got the hardware for running/testing 64 bit.

Fred

dancytron

Testing install on DD 64

#51 Post by dancytron »

Edit: What I had below was wrong. I now believe that both the entries below, were putting the changes file on my hard drive (sda3, an ext4 partition on my hard drive). with just /live/ it was sharing a changes folder with my DD 32 bit install and that's what caused the spectacle crash. Changing it to /live/changes was just giving it a clean folder but it was still on my hard drive, not the thumb drive.

Done for now, but will revisit and see what is really going on.

edit 2: Well, when I boot from one of the clean choices andcreate the save folder from inside DD 64 on exit, it works and saves my changes to the thumb drive as expected. So the problem has to be with grub4dos and the menu.1st file. I'll look more later.

Old post, observations correct, conclusions are totally wrong.

Okay, this is what I did.

I booted to Puppy 5.72a Precise with no save file. Ran the lastest version of the Debian Dog installer that I had, used Gparted to put a ext4 partition on a 2 GB thumb drive and installed DD 64 with Grub4Dos. It said it disabled journaling.

I then switched out the default *.squashfs file with my remastered, "Debian Dog with Chrome instead" squashfs file.

I then tested the Porteus boot entries to see how they worked.

Any place a save folder is specified, it needs to be changes=/live/changes instead of just changes=/live/. If it is just changes=/live/ it fails specatularily finally telling me that it is going to wait 5 minutes for things to get better before any more computing will occur.

My test results and the modified menu entries I wrote can be seen in the portion of menu.1st I tested

#added this one. use this one 
title *Debian-PorteusDog Main -  changes=EXIT:/live/changes   sysvinit
 uuid 759b028a-3e88-4aa4-89b8-6c03ac76c97d
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ noauto changes=EXIT:/live/changes 
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz

#make change changes=EXIT:/live/ fails same as other script
# title *test failure* Debian-PorteusDog  -  changes=EXIT:/live/  sysvinit
# uuid 759b028a-3e88-4aa4-89b8-6c03ac76c97d
# kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ noauto changes=EXIT:/live/ 
# initrd /live/initrd1.xz

# title *original fails badly* Debian-PorteusDog  -  changes to /live/ sysvinit
# kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ noauto changes=/live/

#make change changes=/live/ to changes=/live/changes
title *this one works* Debian-PorteusDog  -  changes to /live/changes sysvinit
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ noauto changes=/live/changes
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz

title *Tested boots to desktop. Works*Debian-PorteusDog  -  Always Fresh sysvinit
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ nomagic base_only norootcopy
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz

title *Tested boots to Desktop* Debian-PorteusDog  -  Copy to RAM sysvinit
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ copy2ram
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz

# presumed to fail for same as above, not tested
# title Debian-PorteusDog  -  changes to /live/ systemd
# kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ noauto changes=/live/ init=/bin/systemd

#boots to desktop 
title *modified works -Debian-PorteusDog  -  changes to /live/changes systemd
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ noauto changes=/live/changes init=/bin/systemd
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz 

title *worked boots to Desktop *Debian-PorteusDog  -  Always Fresh systemd
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 from=/ nomagic base_only norootcopy init=/bin/systemd
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz

title *Worked* Debian-PorteusDog  -  Copy to RAM systemd
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ copy2ram init=/bin/systemd
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz
--Posted from the latest Chrome in Debian Dog.

oui

how to start it frugal?

#52 Post by oui »

how to start it frugal like other Puppys without to burn an ISO on CD or without to use any USB memory?

mikeslr

#53 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Qui,

With saintless' help on the MintPup (Trusty LST) thread, I just was able to do this myself.

As with Puppies, Left-click the ISO. Within the window which opens, you'll find a folder named "live". This is the only folder you'll need. [With MintPup, the folder is named "casper"].

I copied that folder into a folder named "deb64" --I like short names-- on the third partition of my first sata drive. Puppies see it as sda3. Consequently the reference below to hd0,2.

I then added the following to my Grub4dos Menu.lst.

title DebianDog64 porteus-boot save on EXIT in /live/changes folder
root (hd0,2)
kernel /deb64/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/deb64/ changes=EXIT:/deb64/live/
initrd /deb64/live/initrd1.xz

Note "vmlinuz" is actually named vmlinuz1 --- that the number 1; and the initrd file has an xz ending.

This method of booting is pretty much like PupMode 13, with the option to Save only taking place at shutdown/reboot, including the first shutdown.

The "live" folder contains both an initrd1.xz and an initrd.img. The porteus boot method uses the former. The other can be used if you'd rather have a system more like what you'd get if you install "other Linuxes" to a USB-Key.

You'll find information regarding Menu.lst using that other method here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Live-boot-2. When you've mounted the ISO, you'll also see a text file of other Menu examples.

mikesLr

fredx181

#54 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks, mikeslr,
You'll find information regarding Menu.lst using that other method here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Live-boot-2. When you've mounted the ISO, you'll also see a text file of other Menu examples.
Note that live-boot-2 is not supported for DebianDog64, however live-boot-3 is:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Live-boot-3

Fred

oui

#55 Post by oui »

mikeslr wrote:As with Puppies, Left-click the ISO. Within the window which opens, you'll find a folder named "live". This is the only folder you'll need. [With MintPup, the folder is named "casper"].
Thank you very much! It works pretty and that DebianDog64 is wonderfull!

It is the first Puppy of the 2 last years able to process xombrero with absolutely no problem (probably also luakit or vimprobable etc as far now also on Debian - I did find them on Ubuntu 16.04!).

As no Iceape available any more, I would like to erase definitively Iceweasel and remaster with Xombrero. But it is only a part of my hassle: I need a WYSYG HTML editor! Which one will Debian offer us today :cry: ?

(Absolutely) not optimal in DebianDog: The inept asking if you will save...I know: it only follow the habit of a lot also inept asking other Puppy' s :lol: . It would be half damage if the default value would have be set to "no" (you can pass with "enter") else if it is in my opinion no stuff to quit a system (it is stuff to be in the menu under "settings" or are puppyists to simple to search that in a menu and install without a "pat on the shoulder" themself that file or file system?). quit DebianDog64 is extremly long, nothing for hyper nervous people being permanent in hurry :idea: !).

what is to take in consideration to remaster to get a small new ISO?

is there somewhat like ~/mystartup.sh actually somewhere im system available (as no .jwmrc = no startup command field!)

my grub.cfg entry derivated from you example:
menuentry "deb64 sda6" {
set root=(hd0,6)
linux /0deb64/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/0deb64/ changes=EXIT:/0deb64/live/
initrd /0deb64/live/initrd1.xz
}
NB: there is a big difference between "casper" and "live": you can start each iso from ubuntu / each ubuntu derivate (including mint based on ubuntu, but not mint derivated from debian) directly and immediately after download simply adding it in grub.cfg using following exemples (no CD, no DVD, no USB memory needing! no time loose to prepare them...):
menuentry "Trisquel 7.0" {
insmod loopback
insmod iso9660
set isofile="/trisquel_7.0_i686.iso"
#recherche de la partition dans laquelle se trouve le fichier ISO et montage de celle ci dans "/"
search -sf $isofile
#Montage du fichier ISO dans (loop)/
loopback loop $isofile
echo 'Chargement du noyau Linux ...'
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz locale=fr_FR bootkbd=us console-setup/layoutcode=us_intl iso-scan/filename=$isofile boot=casper file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed quiet splash --
echo 'Chargement du disque mémoire initial ...'
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd
}

menuentry "Ubuntu64 16.04" {
insmod loopback
insmod iso9660
set isofile="/xenial-desktop-amd64.iso"
search -sf $isofile
loopback loop $isofile
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi locale=fr_FR bootkbd=us console-setup/layoutcode=us_intl iso-scan/filename=$isofile boot=casper file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed quiet splash --
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

menuentry "Vinux 5.0" {
insmod loopback
insmod iso9660
set isofile="/vinux-5.0-i386.iso"
#recherche de la partition dans laquelle se trouve le fichier ISO et montage de celle ci dans "/"
search -sf $isofile
loopback loop $isofile
echo 'Chargement du noyau Linux ...'
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz locale=fr_FR bootkbd=us console-setup/layoutcode=us_intl iso-scan/filename=$isofile boot=casper file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed quiet splash --
echo 'Chargement du disque mémoire initial ...'
}

menuentry "Emmabuntus3" {
insmod loopback
insmod iso9660
set isofile="/Emmabuntus3-desktop-amd64-14.04.3-1.02.iso"
search -sf $isofile
loopback loop $isofile
# echo 'Chargement du noyau Linux ...'
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi locale=fr_FR bootkbd=us console-setup/layoutcode=us_intl iso-scan/filename=$isofile boot=casper file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed quiet splash --
# echo 'Chargement du disque mémoire initial ...'
}
and would also boot DebianDog.iso directly without any more actions as complete the grub.cfg would DebianDog.iso be based on "casper" and not "live"...

you can start directly with your keyboard in you favorite language! hm...

:idea:

mikeslr

Can folders named "live" or "casper" be otherwise named

#56 Post by mikeslr »

Hi fred & All,

In DebianDog64 the essential folder is named "live". In MintPup it's named "casper". Obviously, you can't have two "live" folders or two "casper" folders at the root of the same partition. But I recall reading on one of the threads something about not having a second "live" or "casper" folder on other partitions. My apologies. I don't recall the exact wording and I should have bookmarked the post. :oops:

At any rate, "the warning" can be interpreted several ways.

(1) Because the name of the essential folder can not be changed it is absolutely impossible to run on the same computer two debiandogs whose essential folders share the same name.

(2) Two debiandogs whose essential folders share the same name can be run on the same computer if their essential folders are contained within uniquely named folders.

(3) It might be possible to run two debiandogs whose essential folders share the same name on the same computer if their essential folders are contained within uniquely named folders, but even so there might be some problems.

(4) It is possible to rename the essential folder. For example, Qui could have changed "live" to barbet and --assuming I haven't screwed up the necessary changes :oops: --written his menu list as follows:

menuentry "deb64 sda6 barbet" {
set root=(hd0,6)
linux /barbet/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/barbet/
initrd /barbet/initrd1.xz
}

Just wondering. Figured I'd ask while I thought of it and before I was in the middle of something.

mikesLr

oui

#57 Post by oui »

You error is:

You extract all files from the ISO!

See please my example in my precedent message:

I can have as much essential folder as I want as long I don't open the ISO before Grub and I need to use the actual official version of Grub, not Grub legacy (I use the actual official version, but the one coming from LinuxFromScratch with very reduced start COMPLICATIONS! Note: the new linux guys seems to have the same human character as Windows programmers of Microsoft: as more complicated seems for her as more better! Please continue to refuse the new Grub as used in Debian, Ubuntu, Arch and more, but please, please, accept and encourage the version one distributed by LFS, Nutyx etc.! The comportment of Puppy to refuse each progress and turn to grub4dos, which is a different evolution as GNU, is not acceptable...)

I can only recommand:

developpers, please make you new iso's using "casper". as the most often Puplets are made of Ubuntu, it must be easy for you! Developpers from Debian, forget "live"! Ubuntu is here better... Accept it! And please renonce to continue to support "grub legacy": the simple form of the actual "grub" supported by Gnu and distributed by LinuxFromScratch is able to start iso's also if in each Iso the essential folder has the same name :roll:

saintless

#58 Post by saintless »

Hi mikesLr.
mikeslr wrote:At any rate, "the warning" can be interpreted several ways.

(1) Because the name of the essential folder can not be changed it is absolutely impossible to run on the same computer two debiandogs whose essential folders share the same name.
Possible but not recommended. If you have /live on sda1 and /live on sda3 and you boot from sda1 all will be fine.
But if you boot from sda3 the system most probably will load the initrd1.xz and vmlinuz1 from sda3 and 01-filesystem.squashfs from sda1. Same goes for save files - the save file on sda1 will be used because both use the same /live path. The system loads the first /live folder found starting the search from sda1.
(2) Two debiandogs whose essential folders share the same name can be run on the same computer if their essential folders are contained within uniquely named folders.
Yes and safe for all boot methods (live-boot-2, 3 and porteus-boot).
(3) It might be possible to run two debiandogs whose essential folders share the same name on the same computer if their essential folders are contained within uniquely named folders, but even so there might be some problems.
Possible for all boot methods. No problems.
(4) It is possible to rename the essential folder. For example, Qui could have changed "live" to barbet and --assuming I haven't screwed up the necessary changes :oops: --written his menu list as follows:

menuentry "deb64 sda6 barbet" {
set root=(hd0,6)
linux /barbet/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/barbet/
initrd /barbet/initrd1.xz
}
No. Porteus-boot depends on /live folder name. You can do this only with live-boot changing /live to /casper or any name using live-media-path= parameter. For porteus-boot you can only move /live in folder with different name.

Added extra section at the end of each boot method post with examples for several frugal install on sda1, sda2 and sda3:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Porteus-boot
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Live-boot-2
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Live-boot-3

Toni

oui

#59 Post by oui »

saintless, you don't need some "live" nor "casper" at all: start the iso :roll: !

but you need one actual grub and ...

casper in the iso!

mikeslr

Qui, you're right but not when using Grub4dos

#60 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Qui,

I don't doubt that your method works. But I explore various Pups --and for purposes of this discussion include the DebianDogs in that category-- and my computers all use Grub4dos as bootloader. As none of them are UEFi, I have no reason to use a different bootloader. As far as I know, Grub4dos does not support loading an ISO directly.

mikesLr