FileFinder - a filename search tool

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
rcrsn51

FileFinder - a filename search tool

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

Project withdrawn.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 24 May 2017, 18:01, edited 65 times in total.

ebisu

#2 Post by ebisu »

Last edited by ebisu on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have posted v1.1 to address this. In the config file, you must enclose the path in quotes.

Please test.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 21 Dec 2015, 02:06, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Rcrsn51

I know you hate it when I make ANY suggestion to help. But, here's another idea: Once the list is created, might you consider a button to open the list from the utility's screen? Or an option to open the list upon exit/quit?

If you find favor, I'm sure it will surface in the PET's future.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

gcmartin wrote:I know you hate it when I make ANY suggestion to help.
What I hate are feature requests in lieu of test reports. You should appreciate how early-stage testing is supposed to work.

I will consider your suggestion.

ebisu

#6 Post by ebisu »

Last edited by ebisu on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

To avoid what you consider feature request in the future, the opening might indicate that you have no interest in ideas which might improve the experience.

i didn't see one such statement, so I offered something for your review.

I should have mentioned that I did test your 1.0 PET on a TahrPUP32-604 and basic operations tested, worked.

Here to help.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

ebisu wrote:TMPLOCATION problem solved.
Excellent.
"The Copy button copies all the files in the list to a temporary folder named FIND2LIST" It does not copy "all" files. Files with identical names are overwritten.
Do you mean if the same file was found in two different locations? That's getting complicated. I will consider the problem.
Even when search does not find any files the message "Search completed" appears. It would be tremendously helpful to know that the search was not succesful.
That's because the "find" command returns an error code of 0 even if it doesn't find anything. But if I implement gcmartin's suggestion of a View button, you can quickly check the results of the search.
Also clicking on "copy" shows the "All files in list copied.." dialog. OK, zero files are in the list and zero files were copied, in this sense it is not a lie, but misleading.
Having quick access to the list should help this.

Thanks for your test reports. I am particularly interested in the results of using more complicated search patterns.

ebisu

#9 Post by ebisu »

Last edited by ebisu on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

ebisu wrote:If the success dialog would contain the number of matches then the user can decide if it is worthwhile to view the list and see what has been added. If the dialog informs the user that nothing has been found then he can try with a different pattern instead of wasting time with examining the list.
Agreed. See v1.2

I have also switched from pattern-matching to keyword-searching. This allows more options.

don570

#11 Post by don570 »

I'll test version 1.2 as well and report back.

I've been modifying my Bulldog finder program to do a search in a file list.

So far it's very fast and seems useful. Here's my script so far.
I use 'while read LINE' to go line by line through the list of pathnames.
I found that the list of path names must end with a line ending character
or else the final path name won't be processed.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
rm -r /tmp/bulldogsearch.txt
[ !  -s  /root/list.txt ] &&  xmessage  "zero size file" && exit 0  

echo "" >> /root/list.txt  # file must end  with  line ending
cat /root/list.txt |
while read LINE  # go through list of files on hit list
do
echo LINE= $LINE
grep -i -H -n 'some_text'   "$LINE"   >> /tmp/bulldogsearch.txt

done
echo +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
cat  /tmp/bulldogsearch.txt

exit 0

B.K. Johnson

#12 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@gcmartin
You wrote:
might you consider a button to open the list from the utility's screen? Or an option to open the list upon exit/quit?
We differ on this feature request. After we have thoroughly tested that the program works as it ought to, I cannot think of any reason to routinely see the list, Should I at any time later (after test phase), want to look at the list I have my file manager and other standard tools. Can you say why you would want to have this feature?

It would be useful during the testing phase, but not as a feature IMHO.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

gcmartin

#13 Post by gcmartin »

B.K. Johnson wrote:... It would be useful during the testing phase ... IMHO.
Yes. but, again, this is Randy's application, not ours. We do what we can to help.

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

Find2list v1.4 reports the total size of the files in the list before doing a Copy operation.

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

Version 1.5 posted above. See the note about changing the name of the output file.

In v1.5 you can quickly run a search by making a desktop shortcut and dragging the target folder onto the find2list icon.

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

Version 2.0 posted above with some bugfixes.

Also see the note about searching through links.

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

Version 2.1 is posted above.

There are some changes in how links are handled. Please read the notes.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

FileFinder v2.2 introduces an Open function. After a search, you can display the list and select an item. You can either open the item in its default application or open the folder where it resides.

Open is designed to work with the ROX file manager. In LxPup, run your Config and change FILEMANAGER=rox to FILEMANAGER=pcmanfm.

---------------------------

ASD

#19 Post by ASD »

At the end of the opening post of this thread is the note (hopefully temporary)
Project withdrawn due to lack of community interest.
Most fortuitously I had downloaded the pet of FileFinder v2.2 before it was withdrawn.

Here is what I really appreciate about the exceptional and unusual facets of FileFinder v2.2 :

(1) I set my Config (via the button in attached screen shot) making two of the options as follows:
export COPYORLINK=link [this will often save huge space and copy time]
export USETEXT=enabled [this facilitates finding keywords within text files and, as pictured, I prefer to find and isolate the text files first]
(2) Typing "/" on the first line [enables a search of all mounted partitions].
If desired, first using rcrsn51's "Partview v2015" then clicking its "All" button, all unmounted partitions (except optical ones) may be mounted in the blink of an eye.
Partview may now be minimised to the system tray to keep all partitions mounted until quitting Partview when the original unmounted state of all partitions will be rapidly restored.
(3) The keywords entry line, possibly using "and/or/not" with [square] or {curly} brackets e.g. as in the screen shot (where no brackets are required) is simple, fast and easily remembered (as explained in Help and the opening post)
(4) Suppose, in the example shown in the screen shot, I forgot to add "or .hlp " - I could add .hlp files to the current list (or I could start a new list).
(5) In the screen shot example I am searching for text files which is quick (well under 10 seconds here) to find more than 4000 files and then quickly copy them with space saving links so that using the Text button I can now search for any words within those text files.

It seems that experimentation with this superb project - which many new testers may well find far superior to "locate" and often simpler, faster and better than "tree" has been woefully sparse - so I ask rcrsn51 to reinstate his pet so that others may try it and report their findings.

PS musher0 might search from his reported 602 iso files with a keyword line, such as:

Code: Select all

.iso [ sla or tah ] not 64
Attachments
shot.png
(72.08 KiB) Downloaded 335 times

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

FileFinder v2.3 posted above.