Does Slacko 5.7 have driver for Realtek RTL8188cus?

mgolden

Does Slacko 5.7 have driver for Realtek RTL8188cus?

#1 Post by mgolden »

Any idea if this will work? Since I'm buying, I'd really like to find an adapter that would be plug and go w/o having to load drivers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Realtek-RTL8188 ... 0973235744

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Their search is quite good >> https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Main_Page

As for 5.7, you're referring to Slacko, correct?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Slacko 5.7 contains the rtl8192cu driver, which should support both the Realtek RTL8192CU and RTL8188CUS chipsets
... however, there's no guarantee that any individual product is supported, unless you can tell us its USB device ID.

I would venture there's a 90% chance that eBay adapter should work with Slacko 5.7 out of the box. Even if not, once plugged in you can tell us its USB device ID (with the "lsusb" command) and we could modify the rtl8192cu driver to recognise that device ID.

ardvark

#4 Post by ardvark »

Hi mgolden...

It's a bit more expensive but this adapter worked "out of the box" for me with Precise 5.6.1, although I'm not entirely sure if Slacko (I'm guessing is what you're using) will support it. :)

Regards....
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

mgolden

#5 Post by mgolden »

Yes, I'm running Slacko Puppy Linux v5.7

Thanks for all the suggestions!

ardvark

#6 Post by ardvark »

mgolden wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions!
You're welcome, let us know how it turns out. :)

Regards...

mgolden

#7 Post by mgolden »

ardvark wrote:Hi mgolden...

It's a bit more expensive but this adapter worked "out of the box" for me with Precise 5.6.1, although I'm not entirely sure if Slacko (I'm guessing is what you're using) will support it. :)

Regards....
ardvark,

The Penguin wireless adapter you mentioned is $31.92 on eBay including shipping.

There is also this with the same chipset for $11.98 including shipping.

I still haven't ordered anything as I'm debating whether to buy an adapter and battery for this old Dell Inspiron 1100 or just chuck it.

ardvark

#8 Post by ardvark »

mgolden wrote:The Penguin wireless adapter you mentioned is $31.92 on eBay including shipping.

There is also this with the same chipset for $11.98 including shipping.

I still haven't ordered anything as I'm debating whether to buy an adapter and battery for this old Dell Inspiron 1100 or just chuck it.
Hi...

You can buy the adapter I mentioned at Thinkpenguin for $24.97 unless you want to add additional products like the cable and extended warranty, in case you didn't notice it. Just scroll to the bottom of the page I linked to and click on "Add to cart." :)

Regards...

mgolden

#9 Post by mgolden »

Just for the record, the adapter was for a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop circa 2003.

I decided to forgo using a USB adapter and bought a Proxim AP-2000 PCMCIA card with an Atheros chipset for less than $5 delivered on eBay.

It was literally plug and surf. The drivers automatically loaded and all I had to do was associate the card with my wireless router.

Thanks for the suggestions.

rokytnji

SMC SMCWCB-N2 cardbus 300M PCMCIA Wireless N Wifi Adapter

#10 Post by rokytnji »

Late to the party

Code: Select all

Card-2: Ralink RT2800 802.11n PCI
           driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 07:00.0
Linkto ships worldwide.

A few dollars more than 5 bucks for wireless N.

mgolden

Re: SMC SMCWCB-N2 cardbus 300M PCMCIA Wireless N Wifi Adapter

#11 Post by mgolden »

rokytnji wrote:Late to the party

Code: Select all

Card-2: Ralink RT2800 802.11n PCI
           driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 07:00.0
Linkto ships worldwide.

A few dollars more than 5 bucks for wireless N.
Wow. A PCMCIA "N" card. I'm surprised such a thing even exists.

A "N" ExpressCard maybe, but not original PCMCIA 1990's technology.

rokytnji

#12 Post by rokytnji »

It is my wireless card on my IBM T23 test bed laptop.

I have some Belkin and Dlink pcmcia cards with atheros and realtek linux compatible wifi chips but they are wireless G.

With the Belkin F5D 7010. You have to be careful what you buy.
The version 6 card is the card you want for using in puppy.
At least. That is all I know.

Both Belkin and my Dlink pcmcia cards are wireless G.
I even have a MA401 netgear old old old wireless b pcmcia
card that will connect wirelessly on my circa 1990's laptop.
As long as the wifi network is open. That card dates back to wep only.
No wpa tech in it.
Pmcia pins and card on it is early (16bit) and is compatible for the netbook pictured below.
Modern pcmcia (32bit) does not fit that netbook.

http://i44.tinypic.com/1t3fk7.jpg

Hoping one day it will be worth a keg of beer. Or 5 - 16 inch 1990s Dodge Ram 1500 Pick Up truck rims that I can use on my 1963 Ford F100 pickup truck.

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, mgolden. Also late to the party!

Welcome to the Inspiron 1100 owner's club..!!

I've had one of these old ladies since it was new, in 2003. Heavily upgraded; RAM from 128 MB > max 1 GB, 2.2 GHz Celeron > 2.6 GHz P4, Hitachi 20GB Travelstar > Transcend 32 GB PATA/IDE SSD.

Started with Tahrpup about a year ago. I have one of these. Costs about £10, UK. The driver is included with Tahrpup, and rcrsn51 has compiled the driver for Slacko 570. Works extremely well.

I've also just purchased one of these. The idea being to run a 'period' adapter with a 'period' laptop..! I did my research, and knew that the 'ath5k' driver, which has been supported in the kernel for quite some time, was the one required. Turned up yesterday; plugged it in, and it connected straight away with no issues. And in real terms, there is no noticeable speed difference between this one, and the more modern 'n'-rated TP-Link.

Not bad, really.

See my reports here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 459#878459

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 27 Dec 2015, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

mgolden

#14 Post by mgolden »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, mgolden. Also late to the party!

Welcome to the Inspiron 1100 owner's club..!!

I've had one of these old ladies since it was new, in 2003. Heavily upgraded;RAM from 128 MB > max 1 GB, 2.2 GHz Celeron > 2.6 GHz P4, Hitachi 20GB Travelstar > Transcend 32 GB PATA/IDE SSD.

<snip>
There may be a problem with the USB ports on my 1100. I tried a total of 3 different USB adapters in the old gal and each time Puppy would barf when I'd load a driver. It was a relief finding the Proxim card worked without a hitch.

It's my intention to give the 1100 away when I find the right person who will appreciate it. At the moment I have it in a nice rolling laptop bag with a new battery installed.

I wasn't aware a P4 would work with the motherboard. Mine has the original Celeron, 1 GB memory, and a 60GB Travelstar.

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

mgolden wrote:There may be a problem with the USB ports on my 1100. I tried a total of 3 different USB adapters in the old gal and each time Puppy would barf when I'd load a driver. It was a relief finding the Proxim card worked without a hitch.

It's my intention to give the 1100 away when I find the right person who will appreciate it. At the moment I have it in a nice rolling laptop bag with a new battery installed.

I wasn't aware a P4 would work with the motherboard. Mine has the original Celeron, 1 GB memory, and a 60GB Travelstar.
Hiya.

Mm. Yeah, mine has has occasional problems with the USB ports at times. If you get hold of a CardBus USB adapter, however (something like one of these):-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-32Bit- ... B002MXUYHW

.....it will, definitely, work. Not only that, but you get some extra USB ports as well! I've got one, and it works very well. Don't forget, this is a direct connection to the PCI bus.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the P4 is concerned; well, you have to realise, of course, that back in the dim, distant mists of time when the 1100 was conceived and built ( :lol: ), there was no such thing as a low-power, mobile processor. They weren't even on the drawing-board at that time. What you have in there is a full-blown, desktop processor, sitting in a regular ZIF socket.....which is why it pulls nearly 60W TDP; and is, in part, why you have that massive battery pack! It had to provide the same output as a normal desktop PSU would have done. Mine was replaced with a high-capacity one when the original expired, about 3 years ago.

The P4 isn't that much faster; the biggest difference is the fact of the L2 cache being four times the size, and the fact that it runs nearly half-a-GHz faster. They're never going to be powerhouses (it's ancient architecture by today's standards!), but they're very capable processors for their time.

Anyway, if you happen to have the owner's manual, you'll see that the P4 was offered as an option originally. You can pick them up for a song on eBay these days; nobody wants them any more. I just happen to enjoy faffing about with old technology. I think the Transcend solid state drive has made the biggest difference; Puppy loads perhaps 2 1/2 times as fast as it used to!