Java dot pup does not install

Using applications, configuring, problems
purple_ghost

Java dot pup does not install

#1 Post by purple_ghost »

Java dot pup does not install in Puppy 2.12

"File integrity ERROR: Sun.Java.1.5.0_06.pup
Suggestion: Download the Pup file again.
Not enough space to unzip?"

The error message occurs immediately. Dot pup has not yet downloaded.

Happy new year everyone.

ndujoe1

java install

#2 Post by ndujoe1 »

Try going to this site and downloading the JRE1.5.0_08.pup

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/

Joe

purple_ghost

Yes, that works.

#3 Post by purple_ghost »

I did that for Puppy 2.12.

I now have started with Puppy 2.13. Same problem.

Actually none of the dot pups seem to work.

Except the dot pups.

MIME-info-puppy-2.13.pup

Shared-mime-info-0.18.pup

rebooted to no benefit.

The new PET get works OK.

I guess no one else is having a problem with dot pups.

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#4 Post by mbutts »

just a quick one. i did get java to work with 2.12 with opera and firefox. i forget if i did for seamonkey. i do remember that in opera after you got java installed that u had to go to tools preferences content.... then make sure enable java and javascript are checked. then click on java options and validate java path. i had to do some looking in the forum but i dont remember what i finally did to get it working. I had the same problems you did at first. i do remember redownloading the pup. I will probably be working with 2.13 this week to put all the browsers on it with java so ill try to post back when i have the proceedure down pat for you and anyone else trying to get java to work. java gets installed in /usr/local as i recall. once installed check by doing a google of test java. it will take you to a page that will load a java window if everything is working ok. I did have a problem when i remastered the cd and thats where i stopped. I decided that 2.13 was going to be out soon and I thought i would wait to put it into it. maybe ill work on it tonight some if i can find my java pup.

MU

#5 Post by MU »

did you click on the link to download it?
Or did you use the dotpup-downloader?
How big is the file you downloaded (click on the details-icon in Rox)?

use this:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/Jre1.5.0_08.pup

Mark

klhrevolutionist

#6 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

purple_ghost

Dot Pup manager automatically installs for everyone else?

#7 Post by purple_ghost »

My difficulties seem to be deeper than just a work a round to get Java installed. If it was just that I would start with the Sun site and install JRE1.5.0-10.

When I click on install for nearly any dot pup I get the same error message. Last night I explicitly downloaded several different dotpups. Like I previously did with the JRE link (in 2.12, which worked to install Java). None of those other (fully downloaded) Dot Pups would start to install. I used Puppy 2.13 to download those Dot Pups.

A bit more history. Two days ago I used Puppy 2.12 to download the new 2.13. I started the download by clicking on the link. I went to the downloads box which had been started by Seamonkey. I told it to save the URL. I canceled the download. I started xwget. Pasted the URL in. I looked at websites with Seamonkey as the download proceeded. The download went to ninety megabytes. Which is (as you know) wrong. I went back and downloaded Puppy 2.13 with Windows 98 (and Free Download Manager). Which has the correct MD5. Puppy 2.13 seems to work pretty well.

(Might be someone could add a browse button for the place to save- file name on Xwget. Typing a file name is a weak point of a newbie.)

I seem to recall having to Re download Puppy 2.12 based on a similar scenario.

Seamonkey has display problems Yahoo.com has several places where text is superimposed on top of something else. This effect is more noticable on sourceforge.net.

Last night I spent a while reducing the settings of Xorg to see if that might have some effect. I had previously (2.12) had a problem with the modem wizard not finding the modem. Then I reduced the resolution and the modem wizard found the modem.

Hypothesis: Might this be a symptom of Xorg not working correctly. Xorg instability causing download problems? Does not seem likely to me. I tried using Xvesa (in a fresh start of 2.13) and tried to use a minimal resolution in a test of this. Dot Pup manager still would not work. Dot Pup manager never started the download of the Dot Pup.

I did find an oddity with the Modem Wizard. If I have my speakers off. I start the Modem Wizard at TTYs0. It does not find the modem. I turn the speakers on and start the test on TTYs0. Doink. Modem found. I can save that. EXIT Modem Wizard. Restart Modem Wizard. Test TTYs0. Buzz. Modem not found. Test TTYs4. Buzz. Modem not found. (Which is the correct answer). Save. Exit Modem Wizard. Restart Modem Wizard. Test TTYs0. Doink Modem found. I am using an External Serial Modem, TTYs0 is right and does work. Odd that the test requires the speakers to be on. Hypothesis: Might be some kind of electrical problem in my MOBO. Might be my power supply is getting a bit weak. This probably has nothing to do with my problems doing clean downloads or Dot Pups.

Other oddity. Gxine. In playing music. I use open. Navigate to an MP3 file. Click on a file name. Takes three seconds to start playing. While it is playing I start to pick out next song. I click on open. I wait until the current song is finished. Then Gxine is hung. To get rid of the Open (navigate to file) window the close will not work. I must kill it. Gxine is then a cast figure on the desktop. No button showing. To get of it I must kill it as well. Gxine will not restart unless I reboot the computer. I had a similar hang in Gxine when I used Gxine to watch a DVD movie (looks great). Then Gxine hung when I restarted it to listen to music from my hard drive. This oddity probably has nothing to do with my Dot Pup problems.

Last nite it seemed that Seamonkey would display the Dot Pup repositories. I was a bit tired. Seemed like I could not link to the Dot Pups in the Murga site.

I notice that this morning someone has drawn a line crossing off many dot pups on one of the sites related to dot pups.

Later today I will try a new start with the Puppy 2.13 Live CD and try the dot pups when I have never started Seamonkey. I will explicity download some dot pups from the .de site using Windows to see if those work.

Seems that there may be multiple problems. Dot Pup manager either does not find the Dot Pup to start download. Perhaps it knows it has the wrong Dot Pup for 2.13. Perhaps the Dot Pup repository is busied out.