What is your favourite Puppy distro?

Promote Puppy !
snayak

#121 Post by snayak »

I love Fatdog on my 64bit machine and Wary on my 32bit machine.
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

valdeg

#122 Post by valdeg »

Tahrpup worked for me better than others, so thats how it became my favorite pet))

rufwoof

#123 Post by rufwoof »

valdeg wrote:Tahrpup worked for me better than others, so thats how it became my favorite pet))
Ditto. I was using Slacko for the last 18 months, looked to upgrade to a more recent version but the latest slacko didn't do it for me. Tried Tahr and I've switched over to that now (with modifications to use a very recent kernel, swapped out 'stable' Abiword 3.0 for (more stable) 2.8.6, and I'm using very fast LZ4 compressed SFS's instead of the more usual gzip compression.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

Colonel Panic

#124 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've always liked Exton's spins on popular Linux distros (including Puppy of course), and at the moment I'm using ExTix, a live DVD which is based on Ubuntu 15.10 and can be copied to a USB drive and used from there.

http://www.extix.se/?p=94

I'm impressed by the fact that the whole distro can load into RAM if you have a minimum of 2 GB on your machine; I know we take that for granted with Puppy, but it's not the norm amongst Linux live disks (and should be IMO). One odd thing about it though is that it comes without XArchiver, so if like me you use it a lot you have to install it yourself.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Packetteer

#125 Post by Packetteer »

Hi All
Slacko 5.7.0
Everything I want to do with Linux just works out of the box.
Upgrading individual software is real easy with the included Update Manager
program. I have completely customize this flash drive version I use. I have made
it so it only saves to the save file when I tell it to. I basically work in a
"Sandbox".
I have completely gotten rid of Windows 10 (an upgrade from Window 7)
by formatting my hard drive which is now only used for data storage.

Thank you 01 Micko for all your hard work and dedication in making such
a fine product as Slacko.

The Laptop I use is old an ACER Aspire 1.4 Gkz 2 Gig ram. If it was not for
Puppy Linux making this old Laptop run so fast I would have had to retire
it for a newer one years ago.

Thank you to Barry and all the puppy developers making Puppy Linux
what it is today. We users owe all those who make Puppy Linux a reality
a dept of gratitude.

Best Regards
John

J_D_

#126 Post by J_D_ »

valdeg wrote:Tahrpup worked for me better than others, so thats how it became my favorite pet))

Same here. Tried several versions of Linux including a puppy or two. Tahr is the most user friendly OS I have found. Really like Quickpet.

slavvo67

#127 Post by slavvo67 »

Though technically not Puppies, Quirky Unicorn and Quirky April (32 bits versions) are my favorites.

Mike Walsh

#128 Post by Mike Walsh »

I run 6 of 'em, but if I had to choose I'd say Tahrpup 6.05 (32-bit), and X-Slacko 2.3.2 (570 with XFCE). Why? 'Cos they run on all my hardware with absolutely no fuss at all..!

Mike. :wink:

Trobin

#129 Post by Trobin »

I've been in and out of the Puppy world since 1.0.4.. I would have to say that my favorite versions are 1.0.8, 2.17, and 4.31. I have tried Wary, Precise, Slacko, and have returned to 431. Plain unvarnished 431. No it can't do everything, but then the question is - do I really want, or need, to do those things. More often than not, the answer is no. If it isn't broken don't fix it.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

mcewanw

#130 Post by mcewanw »

My vote goes exactly with what Trobin says: 2.17 was the best for me, and 4.31 the best of the succeeding generations - were they Woofed or hand-crafted I wonder? Alas that Linux app bloat effects were on the increase thereafter (particularly browsers and increasing resource usage of later GTK and/or QT graphics toolkits).

Slacko 533 and one of Pemasu's Dpups (Exprimo something I think) were the only Puppy's that came close IMO - I used both of these latter two for a long time and Pemasu's nice piece work sat on one of my older Toshiba laptops until recently (indeed it was the only Pup that would boot on that particularly tricky machine... replaced only by DebianDog in the end, which isn't really a Pup but provides everything Pup-like I currently want).

Oh, how could I forget... GuyDog - that actually became my strong favourite Debian Squeeze apps based actual Pup for a long time. The least resource using and fastest of that later generation - great video performance even on relatively slow machines like Pentium M 512MB RAM generation laptops.

William
github mcewanw

dk60902

#131 Post by dk60902 »

When I first started using puppy, it was 5.2.8. Then, on my HP box, Saluki 22 with Compiz worked great. I've been away from Puppy for a while since I've purchased my HP Mini Pavilion with Win10. However, I missed the lightning quick browsing of Puppy, and installed Tahr 6.0.5 on a USB stick. So far, it's great. My wireless dongle worked out of the box (a generic stick I bought on Amazon). I see that there is multiple monitor support, but haven't tried it yet.

Update 9/13/16:

I've come across an abandoned eMachines EL1300G-01w (single core, running Win Vista). I haven't been able to boot a USB stick on this box despite making the appropriate BIOS settings. I tried running Tahr 6.0.5, and Slacko 6.3.0 off a CD, but it freezes, and becomes unresponsive with a whited screen. I reverted back to 5.2.8, and it's rock stable on this version. I even got an HP wireless printer to work. However, samba share is a problem. I just don't know how to configure it to network with my windows box and android devices. I also installed Linux Lite 3.0 to dual boot. I still enjoy using Puppy for internet browsing, as it's extremely fast.
Last edited by dk60902 on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 21:34, edited 2 times in total.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

Mike Walsh

#132 Post by Mike Walsh »

I've recently installed rerwin's Sulu-002, in response to helping out another Puppian with a few queries to do with Chrome and PepperFlash. I am absolutely astounded by its speediness, and minimal resource usage. On my old dual-core, 64-bit, original Compaq business-class desktop PC, Lucid doesn't just 'fly'.....it's practically in LEO..!

Despite not being able to run later than Chrome 26 (because of the elderly glibc), I find myself using it more and more.....and this is on a system that runs the two current 64-bit 'flagship' Pups with regularity. I'm a long-term Chrome user (ever since version 1 was in 'beta', back in '08 ). I'd forgotten just how snappy Chrome used to be; it's become a real 'super-tanker', what with all the sandboxing & security-related stuff that's now coded in to it.

Chrome 26 is too old to be supported by the App store, or even the sign-in process nowadays, but it loads in a fraction of the time it takes 52 to do so.....

My regular day-to-day browsers are peebee's Chromium 36.0.1985.143, and my own re-packaging of the same version of Chrome.

And then I 'discovered' the 64-bit Pups.....

So, in order, it would nowadays have to be:-

1) 'Slacko' 570 (like Packetteer, everything just 'works' on here.....and it runs so sweetly. Really excellent work by Micko.)
2) Sulu-002 and 'Precise' 571 (Richard and BarryK) tying for second place, followed by
3) Tahr64 & Slacko64 tying for third.

All good stuff!

Mike. :wink:

8Geee

#133 Post by 8Geee »

A lot has changed since my original post in 2014.

Slacko 5.7-2017 that I have updated/remastered from the original Slacko5.7 is my 2nd fave.
The eons-2017 for my ASUS Eeepc is my daily driver.

So, from the "near Xandros" experience of Slacko 5.5XL (640Mb -->2.2Gb) to the Eons-2017 version (146Mb --> 440Mb) Quite a lot has been trimmed, yet still functional.

/Patting my self on the back :P
But hey, you can roll your own, and share with others... is that great or what?

8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Pelo

My first was Toutou 431 because french explained,

#134 Post by Pelo »

Trobin wrote:I've been in and out of the Puppy world since 1.0.4.. I would have to say that my favorite versions are 1.0.8, 2.17, and 4.31. I have tried Wary, Precise, Slacko, and have returned to 431. Plain unvarnished 431. No it can't do everything, but then the question is - do I really want, or need, to do those things. More often than not, the answer is no. If it isn't broken don't fix it.
2.17 ??? :?: next week !
My first was Toutou 431 because french explained, then Slacko 5.3.1 533, Precise 5.4.3 5.7.1 5.7.3 ? (Triton) ToOpPy Legopen...
Now I am looking for difference, by searching Old CDs, and renew them, as old movies, classical recolourized.
backgrounds , icons, gtk theme can easily be transfered to any Puppy.
But I must get a wireless connection. Dongle and RTL8192CU succeed with some old Puppies, but not all.
I will never trash a computer, until a Puppy is able to run on it.
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#135 Post by nic007 »

I have frugal installs of 412, Racy, Precise Retro and Tahr. Using Tahr mostly. Racy with size of only 120MB is fun to use and is also probably the last of the truly "lean" puppy's.

musher0

#136 Post by musher0 »

musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

drunkjedi

#137 Post by drunkjedi »

I have no idea why but I keep going back to Fatdog.

rokytnji

#138 Post by rokytnji »

musher0 wrote:Mine! :lol: ;)
Well, Puppeee and MacPup and GrumpyWolfs XFCE version were all sweet hearts for me.

I guess I'll move on to the next table dance, and check out the smooth moves on my new/old

link

when it comes in. I just love it when a md5sum is posted on a thread. It is like bait dangling before my eyes. :D

Pelo

Rendez-vous with rokytnji

#139 Post by Pelo »

Rendez-vous à la Table dance de rokytnji
Age mini maxi to be accepted, rokythji, pleeeaaase ? 7 to 77 !

rokytnji

Re: Rendez-vous with rokytnji

#140 Post by rokytnji »

Pelo wrote:Rendez-vous à la Table dance de rokytnji
Age mini maxi to be accepted, rokythji, pleeeaaase ? 7 to 77 !
Living in France. I bet hedonistic pleasures are way more advanced than in my Baptist controlled section of the planet. I have to travel to Mexico to see the really good shows.

No age limits or many laws in Mexico. Also open all night long. Remember " Dusk till Dawn" and the "Titty Twister" ?