sound card problem

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
varaahan

sound card problem

#1 Post by varaahan »

I have recently installed Puppy 2.13 9all drivers) version and I have a problem with my sound card.
The mobo is Asus A8V-VM which uses onboard VIA AD1986A sound card.
This is identified by puppy and I could install it with alsaconf.
But while playiny a file using gxine, if I adjust the volume, sound goes off abruptly and I have to re-run alsaconf/alsamixer/alsactl store again.
How to rectify this?

metal1

Here Too

#2 Post by metal1 »

I have sound problems as well. I tried to run Puppy 3.1 with my new pc but the sound card crashes the pc. It has the on-board Soundmax sound card. My MB is the Asus k8V SE Deluxe.
My old pc sound works with the add-on Audigy card but I have to start the sound in the Alsa mixer manually. Hope you get yours straightened out. Best of luck.

nic2109

Just to add to the general misery .......

#3 Post by nic2109 »

Just to add to the general misery ....... sound has never been any good in any Puppy I've tried so far.

I don't know whether that's something I'm failing to do, but out of the box it's always muffled and indistinct. Sadly using the ALSA wizard hasn't made much difference to me. I get stuck where it says "For adjustment of sounds use your favourite mixer". I don't have a favourite mixer (well I do but it's a Out house Aid!) so what do we need to do to make it sound half-decent? The Puppy Volume Mixer talks about "master", "pcm" and "input gain" - just what do these do? And what difference do the numbers make?

Lots of help needed, I fear.

metal1

Mixer

#4 Post by metal1 »

I am new to Puppy but I just set all the sliders to 100% and the sound is ok. Don't have much else to adjust I fear. Best of luck.

mdisaster2

#5 Post by mdisaster2 »

metal1:

I have the same MB (Asus K8V SE Deluxe), for what's worth the onboard audio works fine for me since version 2.14. Gxine does crash a lot , but this has been reported from owners of different audio cards as well.

Note that motherboard producers are known for using different audio chips on different revisions of the same motherboard (or even of the same revision for that matter). Soundmax is just a software layer but there is a onboard chip that does the actual job, so it could be worth figuring out what exactly your mobo is using - the Asus site says that the onboard chip is a ADI 1980, but I am pretty sure that my onboard sound is detected as a VIA 8237.

Another thing: with SPDIF audio the drivers control on which connector the audio is output, so it is worth trying out different connectors just in case.

Hope it helps...