Puppy myzt2 [closed see T290]

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
scsijon

Puppy myzt2 [closed see T290]

#1 Post by scsijon »

Initially I was intending to build a new Racy59 (or Racy6 from BarryK's coding) using T2's Version 9.0 with the normal woof2.

However I've decided to extend the project to a new structure and having both 32 bit and 64 bit versions available.

UPDATE1: renamed myzt2 for now from T290 (to follow my myz standard) as a minimal racy 6 build from t2 V9.0r44460~ with kernel 4.3, no x or user apps but I shall add with code from Jemimah's Saluki extend it to give up to 8 sfs places. Each extra sfs place creates a block of real memory not available for other things even if not used, so I think 8 will be the safest max. First alpha for testing will be myzt2-985 out in early Jan 2016.

When this is stable I shall build and add an extra sfs for the x components of BarryK's Racy6, and another sfs for the basic set of puppy user apps. These are to allow racy users to update their systems from 5.5.1 to update to newer packages. This should also mean, without the dev loaded 4 sfs's will normally be maximum wanted, but with dev's you can goto 8 or if you have other sfs's you want to build or use. I only intend to build these sets once or twice, as that should be all needed, as it's not my end target. If someone wants to take these xorg and user sfs components of puppy over from this point and run from there, I don't mind.

And then, I shall finally start to build a wayland / waylandx sfs that should be able to replace x, and work from there. btw Joe is working on JWM to be wayland compatable, so it will remain the default desktop, it's too good not too use and we in the puppy world seem to have taken it too our hearts.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*********Marker, will fill in further details later.****************
Last edited by scsijon on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 22:33, edited 2 times in total.

scsijon

Update-1 15 Sep 2014

#2 Post by scsijon »

Yes, this is slowly happening.

I am getting more and more into it on the T2 side towards completing that end of it and hope to have a first alpha for you all to play with in about a month.

My respect for BarryK grows hourly as he had to do all this from scratch, I at least have his legacy to work from. It's still a decent learning curve!

I also have a number of pet packages as updates for Racy 5.5.1 already built as an interim, which have their own thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95699 and updated when as I get time. They will live on my website under http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/551updates when I get that directory setup, however links will be via the thread.

The T290 Compatable Distro Compiled Packages will be in a packagename-version.tar.bz2 form, which is the T2 standard and is already recognized by Puppy. Packages for the alpha will live on my website under http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/t290/alpha1 when I get that directory setup.

And please note that this IS A RACY EQUIVALENT and NOT A WARY Equivalent. T2 Version 9 is a dynamically developing system and changes seem to happen with package version updating daily. Although i shall do a lockdown on updates for the first alpha. Although I might do a stepback version AFTER I have the first Beta out if there are enough requests and time permits.
Last edited by scsijon on Mon 15 Sep 2014, 04:01, edited 3 times in total.

partsman

#3 Post by partsman »

Hello scsijon :)
On the edge of my seat waiting to test been way to long since we have had a T2 puppy !! Cant wait !
And let me say ! Thank you for your effort ! A daunting task ! I am sure :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

bark_bark_bark

#4 Post by bark_bark_bark »

i am already getting impatient. Just don't include GTK3 or any software requiring it.

scsijon

#5 Post by scsijon »

bark_bark_bark wrote:i am already getting impatient. Just don't include GTK3 or any software requiring it.
Now, now!

Here's a fresh bone to chew on :wink: !

It's in the source repository, but it's not built and included by default for X86 so I won't be, at least for now.

In fact, the first test alpha release at present won't have either xorg or a desktop in it. I want to thoroughly test the underlying system to be stable before moving forward.

Although this may change after this weekend after the group have a 'talk' about it.

scsijon

#6 Post by scsijon »

late update , sorry,
since barry is BACK and playing with the T2 repositry and adding puppy packages to it I've put this on hold for the moment while he sorts it out from a puppy perspective and I look at another idea i've been considering since mage2 that will also be added if it works out.

On the other hand T290 will be a racy551, just with updated (and extended) packages, even has the libso6 stuff. My worst problem is actually grub and it's variations and i'm looking at a replacement that will autobuild from your menu scrip. I'm giving myself until feb1 2015, else I shall just re-build and release what I have done as a testing alpha/beta.

teaser: consider a basic puppy without apps, something like myz was but even further cut down. What about one that builds what you want in it from the source code, and even finds and builds dependancies for those that are not there already. We have the packages to do it, just not the scripts.

scsijon

#7 Post by scsijon »

See the first post UPDATE1 for details of initial changes.

I have sucessfully built a first T2 packageset for this first alpha (891), I just need to do it again(892) with adding a few I hadn't come across but now needed with puppy and T2 package updates, and remove some others no longer used or replaced in puppyland. Then I shall woof it up and see what breaks.
More next week.

Pelo

More next week... here we are ! :)

#8 Post by Pelo »

More next week... here we are ! :)
I like your Racys,

scsijon

#9 Post by scsijon »

It's coming Pelo,

I'm just a little slow by trying to work through as many ALPHA problems as I can before releasing anything.

I'm just doing a second unnecessary files cut now. There will not be any X in it (if I can help it), but I suspect a few will remain for now.

I am also thinking of building a fresh set of T2 Program Files as my current set of ones are a bit 'long-in-the-tooth'.

My current plan is to have a first public 'alpha-something' by the last weekend of Jan. This will only be a 64bit X86-64 and become the base for a Puppy T2-Wayland, which I have promised to them to work with.

But a lot of my ideas won't be in it until I have sorted out a number of problems, such as why the same gcc is building under 32bit but not always under 64bit. It's frustrating!

anewuser

#10 Post by anewuser »

Letting you know I'll be testing this on a Toshiba netbook.

scsijon

#11 Post by scsijon »

I'm closing this one as things have changed.

My respect for barryK back when he started puppy has grown tremendously, I thought I had some idea of linux, but not like this and working with T2 and Rene has expanded my world.

I shall restart with the subject as T290 as i've learn't a lot between the ideas listed here and what I intend to do now, although the outcome is very similar!

New T290 Topic url is http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108731