Saving Work on CD -- Please clarify

Using applications, configuring, problems
Delphi123

Saving Work on CD -- Please clarify

#1 Post by Delphi123 »

Dear friends:

I am using the latest Puppy Linux 2.13. Works great. I downloaded it and installed it on a CD-R in my Windows partition.

I notice that at the end of my work in Puppy I am asked if I want to save my work to a CD. I am quite confused by this. Since PuppyLinux runs in Ram, does that mean that I can remove my PuppyLinux CD and insert a CD-RW to save my work? Or does it mean that I should burn PuppyLinux to a CD-RW and then boot up with the C-RW and then save my work on that SAME CD disk that has PuppyLinux on it? And can I burn it to a DVD-RW and use it for the same purpose?

Really confused. Please clarify.

Thank you.

Benjamin

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

if you burnt your cd as multisession, then puppy can save any changes back to the same cd. see here:

http://puppyos.com/multi-puppy.htm

Delphi123

#3 Post by Delphi123 »

Dear muggisn:

Thanks so much for your kind help.

I read through the instructions in the link you mentioned but failed for whatever reason. I am using Nero 6.6 and single layer DVD-R. May I ask if you could please provide STEP BY STEP instructions. Do I first burn PuppyLinux to a DVD-R, then use it in PuppyLinux as Live CD? If so, just how do I do this? I do not see any option in Nero for multisession burning. Hope you can help. Thanks so much.

Benjamin

Delphi123

#4 Post by Delphi123 »

Dear friends:

I would also like to find out how I can use the DVD-R (or CD-R) to download and install additional software from PET and configure my settings such as network card, etc, mail, and have them persist when I reboot. I am mystified as to how to do this? And, of course, I would prefer to use DVD-R if possible. Should I burn the DVD-R in Puppy Linux or in Windows (Nero 6.6). Please provide step-by-step instructions for newbies.

I am quite stunned by what PuppyLinux has to offer. Never imagined this was even possible. Hope you can help me make full use of it.

Thank you so much.

Benjamin

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

on the link, above, there's a link to a tutorial, by g2, on using nero6 to burn a multisession cdrom. however barry expresses doubts about the availability of software to burn a multisession DVD, so it's probably best if you use your existing puppy cdrom version.

however, i'm currently using pupversion 1.08, and i'm not sure if your version has the same burner software as mine, or an upgraded one.

anyway, if you do Start->multimedia there should be a link there to burn an iso to CD/DVD. on 1.08 it's called Burniso2cd. (probably the sane with version 2xx?)

anyway it's a well wriiten sript, that's self-explanatory as you use it. just take hte multisession DVD option, when asked, and then point it at the iso.

after you've booted for the first time, when you first shutdown, you'll be asked where to save your settings. this is when you choose back to the DVD.

Delphi123

#6 Post by Delphi123 »

Dear muggins:

Thanks so much for your advice. Will definitely try it later today using PuppyLinux's own CD/DVD burner. Will report it all goes well.

Benjamin

Rhino

#7 Post by Rhino »

Delphi123,

You may want to check out the Puppy Tutorial Videos as well since they show you how to burn the multisession cd/dvd. Welcome to Puppy!

Rhino
Visit the Puppy Linux Video Tutorials @ http://rhinoweb.us

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

The best (most reliable) way to make a multisession CD or DVD is to burn the Puppy iso to the CD or DVD with burniso2cd in Puppy. Obviously this requires a bootable CD or DVD of Puppy to already exist. I've done it this way:
  • 1. Burn a bootable DVD+RW or -RW of Puppy any way you can.
    2. Boot the rewritable Puppy DVD, then use Puppy's Menu -> Multimedia -> burniso2cd to burn the same disk again, with the same iso, choosing multisession when you do. (You don't need to erase the rewritable DVD before you overwrite.)
The next time you boot the DVD, and then shut it down, it will ask you if you want to save to the disk.

After you're satisfied you can make a working multisession DVD, substitute a DVD+R or -R for the rewritable one in step 2 above.