#141 Post by Sylvander »

1. "1. In a terminal, issue modprobe usb-snd-audio"
Done.
Here's the failure that resulted:

Code: Select all

# usb-snd-audio
bash: usb-snd-audio: command not found
# 
2. "2. Select Menu > Alsa Setup > ALSA sound Wizard > Click on Multiple cards button. Create a screenshot."
a. Went to "Menu > Setup > ALSA sound Wizard > Clicked on the "Multiple cards" button.
b. Completed a capture of the window = /root/capture15736.png
I will attempt to attach this file to this post.

3. "3. In ALSA Sound Wizard, select the analog device (maybe Card 0, Device 0) as default, then set the Master volume (and Headphone volume) to maximum. Test your headphone by issuing aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks wav (in terminal)"
a. Selected the 1st/top item listed, hw:0 now default, Retrovol set to use this card, OK'd this, issued aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks wav at a terminal command prompt, got failure:

#aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks wav
/usr/share/audio/2barks: No such file or directory
# 
b. Succeeded in playing/hearing the 2barks.wav file using "Menu > Multimedia > VLC > Media > Open file...", navigating to the /usr/share/audio/2barks.wav file and opening it. :D

4. "4. In ALSA Sound Wizard, select the analog device (maybe Card 2 or 3, Device 0) as default and set the Capture volume of your USB microphone. Test your mic using Menu > Multimedia > mhWaveEdit audio recorder/editor."
a. Selected item 2 [mid item] on the list, OK'd it, a new {I think?] dialog said "card 0" was now set as default = hw:0, OK'd that and got a Retrovol window, with both "Front mic" & "Rear mic" available.
b. So many other settings available also, like: Cannel=2ch/4ch/6ch, Capture, Capture1, Front mic boost, Rear mic boost, Input So > Front Mic=Front mic/Rear mic/Line; Input So.1 > Front Mic=Front mic/Rear mic/Line
There's a lot of "white noise" in the headphones only when I set Rear mic boost [RMB] to max [even with the hardware mic switch OFF, and there's no voice sound from mic even if I press/release hardware switch to ON and green light glows, just "white noise"],.
When I set Front mic boost [FMB] to max there's no change in "white noise, but when I set RMB to zero all white noise goes to zero [silence].

c. Selected item 3, OK'd it, new dialog showing "Card 1" "Default = hw:1", clicked OK, got new? Retrovol window with same settings as before.
c1. Clicked the "Front mic" box with FMB at max and got additional sound [sparking sound and buzz].
Sounded nasty so I minimized boost and all the extra nasty sound was silenced, leaving just the white noise as before.
I'll try to post a screenshot of the Retrovol window:
It's a pity that the Puppy forums place the latest screenshots above the earlier screenshots.

d. Just noticed I haven't tried mhWavedit, so will try that now.
d1. Tried to record some sound from mic, but when I click the Red "Record" button, I see no sign of it recording, and don't know where it's saving the resulting file [if any].
To explain further:
d2. "Start Recording" is faded out, and although there is an "Input levels" region, no levels are displayed
d3. Chose the "Low quality (mono)in the "Sample format" drop-down-box, and the whole window vanishes, thus I'm given no oportunity to actually record.
Attachments
capture8943.png
(18.37 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
capture28273.png
(22.71 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
capture15736.png
(15.61 KiB) Downloaded 525 times

gjuhasz

modprobe

#142 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:1. "1. In a terminal, issue modprobe usb-snd-audio"
Done.
Here's the failure that resulted:

# usb-snd-audio
bash: usb-snd-audio: command not found
# 
Dear Sylvander,

Maybe my request was misleading... the command is modprobe with the parameter usb-snd-audio :oops: . Please open a terminal and issue

modprobe usb-snd-audio
Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

P.s.:
In the meantime, I uploaded a nice package for USB headsets (headphone + mic). I have only one type but it works in Puli on various machines regardless of the number of other USB devices they have.
I am wondering if you have a complete USB headset (not only a single USB mic). If yes, try it out. If you prefer a USB mic only as you wrote, give this package a chance to drive your unique "analog headphone-USB mic" combo.
Download http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/usbaudio-0.4.pet then include it in your smartload file.
It assumes that the USB device is already plugged in when you boot Puli with this pet. However, if you connect the USB audio device later, then you need to restart X to activate it.
Again, this package has been created to handle a complete USB headset, but who knows...

Sylvander

#143 Post by Sylvander »

1. "...the command is modprobe with the parameter usb-snd-audio..."
a. Oops, I actually entered the correct command AND parameter, but must have repeated and made an error at that time.
Here it is again, correctly reported this time I hope:

# modprobe usb-snd-audio
modprobe: FATAL: Module usb-snd-audio not found.
# 
2. "I am wondering if you have a complete USB headset (not only a single USB mic)"
I don't have a USB headset, but I do have a Lindy USB Audio Adapter No.42961 that has 2-off 3.5mm jack-socket analog connections, 1 for mic and 1 for headphones.
An older version than this, with only 1 button rather than the 2 shown.
I believe that such USB devices are seen as separate video/audio cards.

3. The above is all I can do here in Puli, because my Firefox is in Hungarian, I cannot understand it, so am unable use it to download files and navigate to a location to which to save them.
I'll do it within Slacko, and further report.
Did the necessary in Slacko [Deleted the old Firefox], and now back in Puli.
Both firefox-en.pet and usbaudio-0.4.pet are loaded methinks.
Firefox looks OK, I cannot see anything to indicate whether it's en-US or en-UK.

4. "It assumes that the USB device is already plugged in when you boot Puli with this pet."
a. Before booting Puli, I disconnected both the USB mic and video camera, connected the Lindy dongle with both the headset and mic connected to it, and it switched on [green LED lit, orange not lit].
Only then booted Puli.
b. Here'[s a screenshot of the "ALSA Sound Wizard->Choose sound card", I'll choose item-4=card-2.
Card2 = hw:2
c. Nothing I do in Retrovol gives me ANY sound in the headphones.
I'm wondering if this dongle only gives line output. [WRONG,see e. below]
d. I've plugged in the amplified speakers instead of the headphones, used VLC to play 2barks.wav, and GOT THE BARKS!
e. Swapped the headphones back in and tried VLC with 2barks.wav, and GOT THE BARKS!
f. Tried to record using "Bacon Recorder" [BR] [looked better], but got only silence.
Tried to play [in mhWavEdit] the file made by BR, but graph is flatline, and only silence is heard.
g. Tried to use mhWavEdit to record:
Situation now improved; when I choose "Sample format=Low quality", the "Input Levels" panel shows various recording datail and says "Ready for recording".
I click "Start recording" and then I stop it after speaking into the headset mic, but I've no idea if/where it is saving the file.
I'll give up until tomorrow.
Attachments
capture28762.png
(18.79 KiB) Downloaded 468 times

gjuhasz

Solved?

#144 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote: GOT THE BARKS!
the "Input Levels" panel shows various recording datail
From your post, it seems that both firefox-en.pet and usbaudio-0.4.pet are working as expected. :D

a. Firefox: It provides an English interface now. You can run Firefox as spot user by clicking on the browse icon or from the Internet menu. Alternatively, you can run it as root user from the Internet menu.

b. USB audio: Thanks for your testing. As I understand, you could successfully use your analog headset through the Lindy USB dongle (means that my usbaudio-0.4.pet is OK for native USB headsets, too. Note that many laptops, e.g, some HP/Dell types, don't have separate jack for the mic of the analog headset).

c. You can chat by clicking on the "telephone" desktop icon (the nice webRTC-based Firefox Hello opens)

d. Based on your screenshots, I did a quick research to combine analog headphones with USB mic. I found references to special tools (jackd and qjackctl) that may resolve this issue.

----------

My last (and kind) request to you. Please do the following:

1. While your your analog headset is plugged in through the Lindy USB dongle, boot Puli with my firefox-en, libflashplayer-11 and usbaudio-0.4 pets smartloaded (you may need to download the latest Flash player. Available at http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/li ... yer-11.pet)
2. Click OK for the Session Setup dialog.
3. Open a youtube video in Firefox and check whether you hear the sound.
4. At this point, without any command-line magic, the Retrovol tray icon is already configured to control the Headset level (as shown in the attached picture). Please verify.
5. Also, please check whether your mic is working (using Firefox Hello or mhWaveEdit).

Thanks in advance.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Attachments
Retrovol-USB.jpg
(10.01 KiB) Downloaded 452 times

Sylvander

Re: Solved?

#145 Post by Sylvander »

gjuhasz wrote:...download the latest Flash player. Available at http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/li ... yer-11.pet)
a. DONE [whilst working in Slacko, downloaded to /mnt/sdb1/packages].
b. Also did the necessary in the /mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/smartload file.
c. Will do the other stuff later today I hope.

Sylvander

#146 Post by Sylvander »

1. "1. While your your analog headset is plugged in through the Lindy USB dongle, boot Puli with my firefox-en, libflashplayer-11 and usbaudio-0.4 pets smartloaded (you may need to download the latest Flash player. Available at http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/li ... yer-11.pet)
2. Click OK for the Session Setup dialog.
3. Open a youtube video in Firefox and check whether you hear the sound.
"
a. DONE.
Had to use ALSA->Sound wizard->Multiple cards->chose item-4, to get sound in headphones.
b. Played Youtube video, sound is heard good and loud in headphones, but cannot adjust volume using software [e.g. Master volume control does nothing], had to use the hardware volume control included on the headset cable.

2. "4. At this point, without any command-line magic, the Retrovol tray icon is already configured to control the Headset level (as shown in the attached picture). Please verify."
a. I see no Retrovol controls of the type included in your screenshot [Headset capture, Headset].
Tried to adjust headphone volume; none of the software slider controls had any effect on volume.

3. "5. Also, please check whether your mic is working (using Firefox Hello or mhWaveEdit)."
a. "You can chat by clicking on the "telephone" desktop icon (the nice webRTC-based Firefox Hello opens)"
Tried clicking on the telephone icon, but nothing happens, so...
Searched for "Firefox Hello", went here, then here...
Clicked the hello button, clicked "Start a conversation"...
The mic icon says "You are currently sharing your mic with this page", but I see no way to test the mic, and hear nothing.
When I did this kind of thing in the past [using Skype?] there was a method included for testing the mic.

b. "or mhWaveEdit"
I'm having zero success in attempting to use this to test the mic; any suggestions for using something that actually works?
This reminds me of way back about 1958, trying to get a decent picture on a black&white TV. :roll:
I'm in Skype right now, and cannot find the means of testing the mic.
OK, found it, and the method works, but no mic sound heard.
In the past [on my previous PC?] I could hear my USB mic in the headphones, and the Skype test method was successful in both recording and playback.
I guess something fundamental is amiss at a lower [software?] level.
I think the hardware is functional.

Sylvander

#147 Post by Sylvander »

1. Working within Slacko, headphone and mic connected to LINDY dongle with both LED's lit, ran ALSA->Play_test_sound gives silence->Multiple cards->chose 3rd item = card-1, OK, now "Play_test_sound gives 2_barks.
See below screenshot of Retrovol with PCM,mic_capture,Auto_gain_control only.

2. Tried to install Skype within Slacko and it wouldn't run.
Won't save these session changes.
Will re-try them at a later time, and try to find a way to check the mic.

3. I wonder if we should use Teamviewer for you [Gabor?] to take control of my Puli, and do anything necessary?
Attachments
00.jpg
(13.7 KiB) Downloaded 413 times

gjuhasz

Remote support

#148 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:I wonder if we should use Teamviewer
PM sent

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#149 Post by Sylvander »

1. Within Slacko, copied teamviewer-10.sfs from your repo to /mnt/sdb1/packages and edited /mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/smartload file so teamviewer would auto-load at Puli startup.

a. Rebooted into Puli, teamviewer loaded, tried to run it using "Menu->Internet->TeamViewer", but it didn't run.
b. Entered the teamviewer command at a terminal prompt and got:

# teamviewer 

Init...
Checking setup...

Error: InitProfile failed. Please check '/opt/teamviewer/logfiles/startup.log'

# 
Looks like failure to me. :(

3. I'm wondering if I aught to begin right back at the beginning and make a fresh Puli install, but to a FAT32 partition this time.
What think you G.J.?

4. I'll attempt to attach the '/opt/teamviewer/logfiles/startup.log' file as a fake .tar.gz file.
That worked.
Attachments
startup.log.tar.gz
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

Sylvander

#150 Post by Sylvander »

1. SUCCESS! :D
a. Managed to get mic working.
b. Discovered a small switch on the volume control on the headset cable.
I remembered that this is the mic on/off slider-switch; it's off when the red shows and on when the black shows methinks.
c. Having used ALSA to enable item-4=card-2=hw:2, I used "Bacon Recorder" to try to record to a wav file in /
Whilst speaking into the mic I used the on/off button on the LINDY dongle to switch the orange LED off and slider=red/black to slide it to display black.
i.e.
d. Discovered the hardware button&slider settings that work are:
d1. LINDY dongle orange LED off.
d2. Headset control slider = black.

2. SUCCESS! :D
a. Then made a test call within Skype and got sound via both the headset mic and headphones.
So the headset is now fully functioning.
@G.J. : Could you send me a new PM to specify a time [about tomorrow, Saturday 21st Nov, about 11:00-17:00] I should make a Skype call to you?

3. Hmmm, Tried to make a backup of the new arrangement.
Three attempts [incorrectly?] reported failure after I'd deleted the existing backup.
But there are 3 backups made just a few minutes after each other a short time ago.
So I've deleted the latest 2 leaving only the 1st.
WAS able to Save:smart OK.

gjuhasz

TeamViewer compatibility issue resolved

#151 Post by gjuhasz »

I played with teamviewer and wine and skype and found some incompatibilities.

1. Incompatibility between different wine versions:

The official TeamViewer package contains wine 1.6 modules that are incompatible with newer wine versions. I promise a fix or at least a workaround. So, I updated the wine version from 1.6 to 1.7.21 in my Teamviewer package. Downloadable from my storage site as http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/te ... -10w17.pet Now its wine version aligns with http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/wi ... 1.7.21.pet. Now you can use them together.
I also created a "bare" TeamViewer package that does not work in standalone mode but co-operates the wine package without unnecessary duplicates installed. Will share it after a few days of testing.

2. Incompatibility between different TeamViewer versions:

There is a king size Chrome extension available, it is practically TeamViewer 1.8 and does not need wine. I ran a quick test but did not find voice connection feature there. Same for earlier TeamViewers. Some of them allow the connection with another version but cannot control the remote desktop. Others simply say that "Old Version, please update". Others are OK but no voice connection allowed or even crash when tried.

3. Skype (in)compatibility:

I learnt that Skype compatibility (better saying: pulseaudio capability) is available in Teamviewer 1.7.55 and later versions only.
I think I can have a fix for this in a few days.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

TeamViewer 11 - wine 1.7.21

#152 Post by gjuhasz »

I got a PM from a friend.
I'd appreciate anyone with wine installed (other than version 1.6) to test if this does indeed solve the conflict problem.
Here you are...

http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/te ... -11w17.pet

This TeamViewer includes wine 1.7.21 modules.

(The wine_puli_wdt-1.7.21.pet is in the same folder: http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/)

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

TeamViewer 11 bare

#153 Post by gjuhasz »

Another package does not contain Wine at all.

http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/te ... 11bare.pet

Works, however, if you have wine 1.7.21 co-installed, e.g., wine_puli_wdt-1.7.21.pet - also from http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/)

Tested in Puli

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#154 Post by Sylvander »

1. I have both of these in my /mnt/sdb1/packages folder with the necessary settings in the /mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/smartload file, so they auto-load during Startup.
I sent you a PM quoting the "failure to load" warning displayed during Startup.
WINE is working OK.

2. I started a Puli session, and ran TeamViewer-11, noted my ID & Password [rebooted into Slacko because I didn't have an email client set up in Puli but had Thunderbird set up in Slacko] and sent you my ID & Password from Slacko.

3. Discovered that once I rebooted back into Puli, the ID & Password had changed , so your attempt to connect to my PC failed.
Is it necessary or not to set up a TeamViewer account, and log in at the beginning of a session?

4. I had Skype running, was logged in, mic and headphones worked OK, and I could see your text being typed on my screen, but it seemed that you couldn't see the text I was typing in reply.
So I need to get some practise [not practice] on Skype also, to learn in detail how it works.

5. Which info to post here, and which to send in PM's, or emails?

gjuhasz

powerapplet_tray megred with xbatalarm

#155 Post by gjuhasz »

Hi,

For those cannot get powerapplet_tray working, I referenced it in xbatalarm.
Among other changes, I applied new icons and forced the right one to appear in the tray.
Changed the default alarm level to 10%.
Tested in Puli, probably works for other puppies, too.

As powerapplet_tray is a built-in feature in Puli, it is excluded from the attached pet package.
The full version is uploaded with my other post, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&start=12

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Edit on Jan 28: xbat-p.pet uploaded again after some bugfix
Attachments
xbat-p.pet
MD5sum: 9da6003131a28e269dbd5d969c68204e
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Last edited by gjuhasz on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 13:23, edited 4 times in total.

gjuhasz

Vulnerability in the OpenSSH

#156 Post by gjuhasz »

Hi,

A new vulnerability in the OpenSSH client was detected yesterday. It affects all versions of the program, from 5.4 to 7.1. The detected bug (CVE-2016-0777) allows an attack leading to a leakage of the private key.

While patches and updates are being rolled out for affected distributions, the feature causing this security issue can be disabled manually in order to resolve the issue. This can be done by adding a line to your SSH configuration. Edit your /etc/ssh/ssh_config file as follows:
  • 1. Find the line that contains Host * (in the default ssh.config, this is Line 19)

2. Just after this line, create a new one with the following content:

UseRoaming no 
  • 3. Save this file.

4. Create a new folder on your boot pendrive as /patch/etc/ssh

5. Copy your updated /etc/ssh/ssh_config file to the new folder on the pendrive.

6. Unmount the pendrive.
Warning! An earlier ssh.config file may be accidentally restored if you edited /etc/ssh/ssh.config some time ago then created a backup file. If you have never touched /etc/ssh.config, then please ignore this warning note.

Note that servers could be also potentially affected in case key-based auth is used to connect to other servers by SSH. See https://access.redhat.com/articles/2123781

This patch / the fixed OpenSSH package will be included in the next Puli expected in Feb 2016.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#157 Post by Sylvander »

Completed steps 1 to 6 in the post immediately above. :D

Any way to test that it's working?
Or is this a silly question?

greengeek

Re: Vulnerability in the OpenSSH

#158 Post by greengeek »

gjuhasz wrote: Find the line that contains Host * (in the default ssh.config, this is Line 19)
My ssh_config file looks like this:

ForwardAgent yes
	ForwardX11 yes

with no other contents.

There is also an sshd_config file in the same directory. Am i exposed to this bug? Why don't I have a line 19?

- I am not using Puli I'm on a Slacko 5.6 derivative but thought you might have some insight to offer.
cheers!

gjuhasz

OpenSSH

#159 Post by gjuhasz »

As it is written in the bug description, this vulnerability is related to a non-public feature of the OpenSSH client. :shock:

So, there there should be some lines

Host *
UseRoaming no
as a mitigation in the ssh.config file regardless of the other content. (I mentioned Line 19 because I referenced the default ssh.config file of Puli 6.0.4.)

Analysis of the fix is available at http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2016/01/14/7 ... nice, isn't it?
More details could be answered by only those had been interested in putting this "feature" into OpenSSH... Be sure, I was not among the requestors. Maybe Mr. E.S. knows some of them. :)

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

Puli defends Linux Kernel Vulnerability (CVE-2016-0728)

#160 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Puli users,

Just FYI...

the newly discovered Linux kernel vulnerability (CVE-2016-0728) is unable to impact (any version of) Puli operated either in the Crazy or the Lazy security profiles.

:D

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz