An Android OS for x86 PCs "Phoenix OS"

News, happenings

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

I decided to look at both Remix OS and Phoenix OS. Test equipment consisted of two laptops -- my Dell e4310 and my mother's Win7 ( :roll: ) HP tc4400.

Remix OS would not boot at all on the HP, and it barely ran on the Dell... any time I clicked there was a roughly one-second 'freeze' (cursor unresponsive) as the machine contemplated its directed action.

Oddly, Phoenix OS must be a little lower-resource, because that's how it behaved on the (much wimpier) HP! Haven't tested it on the Dell yet. Phoenix OS 'felt' friendlier, too -- don't know offhand how to put that any better or more clearly, sorry.

I must say, the version of WPS Office that comes with Phoenix OS is, er, a bit more aligned with a tablet or large smartphone than with desktop anything... but I'll take what I can get, you know? Solving that, and adding in a real Google Play Store (I'm pretty sure Phoenix OS doesn't have that yet) would be the only two improvements I'd immediately suggest.

On a qualitative scale, from "get this **** outta here" to "best thing since sliced bread" I'd rate Phoenix OS a solid "not bad". Remix OS needs a little work, I dunno about that one.

Neither is a Puppy replacement, to put it mildly -- too much of a resource hog, and even though both are 32bit, I'm told they need a 64bit CPU (?!) -- but give Phoenix OS a year or two, and it might be something relevant in everyday conversation. I suppose we'll see... ;)

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Does either PC have a touch screen?

Although not required, it would be interesting to get feedback for those who have a smartPhone and a touch PC, as well as this very good report of user experience.

Thanks @StarHawk

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

The HP does have a touch screen, being one of those "convertibles" that's a notebook one moment, cumbersome x86 tablet the next. I'd say a few words about its design, but it''s not particularly relevant and I'm in polite company anyways ;)

I will note that I've literally never used the touch input on that particular system... heck, I don't know that it works in Windows! I sure didn't try it with Phoenix, and I've since handed the laptop back to Mom.

Further testing will be done later, when I see how it performs on the Dell. I'll note that the Dell is a purely laptop/notebook type -- no touch anything 'cept the trackpad, I'm afraid.

d4p

#5 Post by d4p »

To get full speed just install on internal HDD.
I installed androidx86, remix and phoenix on tree diff. laptops for comparison(toshiba, lenovo and HP). Wifi and bluetooth for androidx86 and remix work fine on all laptops. Phoenix has no wifi at all. You have to create google account for each OS's, otherwise remix and phoenix will load playstore Apps instate of webstore Apps.
Remix OS may not opensource? I read somewhere.