(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Sep 2020, 16:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog - Jessie (21 June 2017)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 27 of 68 [1013 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jan 2016, 22:57    Post subject:  

To clarify - worked fine.

Opened a terminal in /root then
Code:
mkdir T
cd T
mkdir root
cd root
echo hello >testfile.txt
cd /root
mksquashfs T tst.squashfs

and then moved that tst.squashfs to the /live folder, deleted the /root/T folder ... rebooted and it loaded tst.squashfs ok and the /root/testfile.txt file containing hello is in /root.

Having verified that worked ok, next I made the changes folder (around 350MB of stuff - much of which was probably updated firefox (latest version) and the nvidia drivers/code) into a squashfs (I opted to just call it changes.squashfs i.e. mksquashfs changes changes.squashfs - which weighed in at around 140MB) and emptied the changes folder of all its content (I just deleted it and then created a new empty folder called "changes"), rebooted with the EXIT boot parameter (save on exit) ... and it fired up ok just as though the changes folder had been there (persistence). I did a load of stuff and exited, opted to not save ... and changes folder remained totally empty and the next reboot had the system exactly the same as before. The EXIT boot parameter defaults to save, unless you click NO within 30 seconds, personally I'd rather have that the other way around, so its one thing I'll be changing (default not to save, only if click YES within 30 seconds).

I see that the mksquashfs in DD supports lzo compression which is faster (but not so tight on compression), so tomorrow (late now) I'll be playing around with using lzo compression for squashfs's instead of the default gzip
Code:
mksquashfs <DIR> <SFS_name.squashfs> -comp lzo

unsquashfs is also present in DD
Code:
unsquashfs <SFS_name.squashfs>

PS that might all be specific to just puppy (Porteus) style of DD (I tinkered with the persistence (other) style but didn't get very far due to infamiliarity). But so far it looks like bringing the best of Debian and combining that with the best of Puppy Smile Resilient, stable core system with apt get etc ... with Puppy read only boot with optional persistence Smile

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan 2016, 04:13    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
From the nvidia web site you can search for and download the drivers appropriate to your card - i.e. provides a NVIDIAxxxx.run file

Thanks for sharing. Probably the same or similar information is available on Nvidia Debian Wiki page.

rufwoof wrote:
Sound solved : As simple as Just setting .mp4 to open with gnome mplayer instead of mpv did the trick

I guess it is OpenBox version and the problem is because of some settings in Mpv player. Jwm version doesn't include mpv. To test the sound settings run from menu or from terminal:
Code:
audio-setup

It should auto detect the sound card and open alsa mixer. in most cases it will be detected on boot without need to run audio-setup.

rufwoof wrote:
Solve one, along comes another. This time the network tray icon is permanently 'glowing' even though there's no network activity.

Sorry, I have no answer about this problem.

rufwoof wrote:
I'll be playing around with using lzo compression for squashfs's instead of the default gzip.

The default compression in /opt/bin/remasterdog and /opt/bin/remastercow scripts is xz for Wheezy and Jessie. Change it to what you prefer inside both scripts.

Persistent in Read-Only mode:

Porteus-boot with changes=EXIT:/ boot code is the one you need. On boot the save file/folder content is mounted read-only and the changes are saved on reboot.
mikeslr wrote:
...if possible, consider building a utility to permit Saving other than just at reboot/shutdown. It's handy being able to Save what's working and then explore further without having to reboot].

You can save in the middle of the session as described in Porteus-boot post:
Quote:
For the last two boot codes only “changes=EXIT:/path-to-save-file/folder” you can type from terminal:

Code:
save2flash

This will save the changes in the middle of the session and remount the save file/folder again in read-only mode.
Also you can try the new save setup module from Fred with improvements for saving on exit. The module and information available here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=870196#870196
Quote:
As half of the changes are for running without savefile, I think it makes no sense to create a .deb for this, so made it a .squashfs file, attached: 99-new-save-setup.squashfs.tar, remove dummy .tar extension
To test , place it in 'live' directory.
Or unsquash in 'rootcopy' directory.
And reboot

Or you can try the 64-bit DebianDog version from Fred which should include all porteus-boot improvements not included in 32-bit version by default yet.

Alternative option for read-only persistent is using RemasterCow. It works with all boot methods creating new squashfs module with the changes. You can load 8 modules on boot inside "live" folder with live-boot and I think much more with porteus-boot.
But to keep safe and working package management you need to allow dpkg registration and whiteout files support. This way RemasterCow will create read only module from session changes just the same way as changes inside save file/folder.
If you decide to use Remastercow instead save file boot with no-persistent code and uncheck "Disable dpkg registration" box and check "Include whiteout files" box before making module from changes and give higher number name for each module like: 02-changes.squashfs; 03-changes.squashfs; 04-changes.squashfs.
Move all modules in "live" folder to make sure they will be loaded on boot and when you like the result remaster the system in new main 01-filesystem.squashfs using RemasterDog. Then remove all squashfs modules from "live" and move there the remastered 01-filesystem.squashfs which containes all changes merged together. And use RemasterCow again to add more changes in 02-changes.squashfs; 03-changes.squashfs...

Keeping dpkg database (/var/lib/dpkg/ content) in shape is very important and it is easy to break it adding and removing squashfs modules often. This is the reason to keep dpkg registration disabled by default in RemasterCow. It renames the important files/folders in /var/lib/dpkg/ keeping the packages in the new module from changes hidden for dpkg and this is safe for the system. But it is not what you need, because some of the hidden packages will be reinstalled and included again and again in every next module from changes as dependencies for different programs since the system doesn't know the packages are already installed.

In any case I recommend using porteus-boot changes=EXIT:/ boot code instead RemasterCow till you get more comfortable and familiar with the way apt-get (dpkg) works.

Thanks for answering, mikesLr.

Toni

rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan 2016, 08:52    Post subject:  

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply Toni.

I've just started a fresh DM Jessie/Porteus boot and the network tray icon now stays permanently off, even if there's network traffic. Changing the desktop background to none and a gradient colour and then rebooting, still has the network tray icon and desktop backgrounds the same. Looks like there's a puppy type bug in DD Jessie/Porteus that sooner or later will be uncovered and if/when I do so I'll report back.

Yes I'm using OpenBox (learning that to at the same time). For the sound side of things I just right clicked a .mp4 file and selected Open With Other, and then selected Gnome Mplayer and made sure the ;always use this choice...' was ticked and its all great now.

Hardly had to change a thing. Used Help, About, Update to update Firefox, installed NoScript and Zoom extensions and created a save, mksquashfs'd that and cleared out the 'changes' folder and its rebooting as I like it (for now Smile). My existing Libre Office sfs loads/runs ok as-is.

Thanks again Toni. Debian resilience/stability combined with Puppy Read only/optional persistence is a very solid choice IMO.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan 2016, 11:48    Post subject:  

More or less finished my core layout, there wasn't too much to do Smile

Have my own /live/osmo.squashfs now being loaded that links the /root/.osmo folder out to my HDD copy (so common content across all pup's) - DIARY, CONTACTS, TASKS - SORTED.

Dropped in Libre SFS as a .squashfs into /live, added a Startup script to load libre to the tray at startup - OFFICE SORTED

Portable firefox on HDD works and internal firefox updated to latest version, and a few extensions added (noscript, zoom page) - INTERNET SORTED

I extracted (unsquashed) the 01 filesystem squashfs and re-squashed using lzop compression. For Libre and osmo squashfs's I used no compression as they're on HDD anyway (loads of space). Booting and running quicker that way.

Added a desktop icon to SAVE (just calls that save2flash you helped me with earlier Toni).

Created changes.squashfs from the /live/changes folder, also non compressed, emptied the /live/changes folder.

Now reboots as I like it, with nothing in /live/changes but option to snapshot/save to that if/when I like via the desktop SAVE icon (or when asked at shutdown). Mostly that wont be used such that the system is stable (boot, try a load of stuff and perhaps screw the configuration up, reboot and back to ok again). That will be handy for me as I'm unfamiliar with synaptic and apt-get and all that, from what I've seen so far (early learning days) it looks (very) impressive.

I'm seeing what they say about the resilience/stability of Debian. Slow to evolve but in avoiding unstable versions and with bugs ironed out, long term support etc its a pleasant surprise to see just how good that is.
2016-01-21-160019_1024x768_scrot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   95.31 KB
 Viewed   688 Time(s)

2016-01-21-160019_1024x768_scrot.jpg

fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan 2016, 13:18    Post subject:  

Hi Toni, rufwoof,

Here's a small fix for frisbee:
The change is in:
- file: /usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/99-frisbee_tray
Changed every instance of "frisbee_tray" to "network_tray" (frisbee_tray doesn't exist in the system)
This way the tray icon will refresh (corresponding with the network status) when e.g. plugging in/out the cable or when connect to wireless.
Also added:
Code:
[ -z "`pidof network_tray`" ] && network_tray &

- script: /usr/bin/network_tray.sh
Changed to the above code instead of "network_tray &" (necessary, otherwise 2 icons will show at boot)

Not sure if this will fix the issue rufwoof had with it, but it's nice improvement anyway, IMO.

Thanks, rufwoof for describing your explorations, you also might want to have a look at the "cheatcodes" from porteus, here:

http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/26-general-info-tutorials/117-cheatcodes-what-they-are-and-how-to-use-them.html

E.g. this part (and more, e.g. rootcopy):
Quote:
load=module
load=module[1];module[n]

... Load optional modules from /optional/ directory on the booting
media. Additional modules can be listed, separated
by semicolons, without spaces.
Exampe: 'load=gimp;inkscape' would search for and load any
modules in the /porteus/optional folder that contain the strings
'gimp' or 'inkscape'.

But to make it work for DD, translate for example: /porteus/optional to: /live/optional

Attached: frisbee_1.2-20160121_i386.deb.tar (remove fake .tar extension)

Fred
frisbee_1.2-20160121_i386.deb.tar
Description  fixed frisbee: frisbee_1.2-20160121_i386.deb.tar (remove fake .tar extension)
tar

Download 
Filename  frisbee_1.2-20160121_i386.deb.tar 
Filesize  86.99 KB 
Downloaded  225 Time(s) 
rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan 2016, 18:57    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Not sure if this will fix the issue rufwoof had with it, but it's nice improvement anyway, IMO.

Hi Fred. Unfortunately no. The network icon still 'sticks'. Seems to get set at either on or off according to whatever coincides at bootup, and stays like that. Networking works fine. Running DD wheezy 32 non-pae openbox - and that's fine (tray icon flashes with in/out network traffic), but in DD Jessie 32 pae openbox - no.

EDIT :

Another problem I'm experiencing in both Wheezy and Jessie is that firefox running youtubes has no sound. I use usb headphones that usually get allocated to card 2 in Tahr. With alsa settings all up and with mplayer set to gnetcom (the usb headphones) and after having set mplayer as the default player for mp4's then they play fine (video/sound ok). Load web page with some wav's and I can play those also. Go to youtube and load up a video - see the video ok, but no sound. Reading around it seems like firefox and youtubes are a problem. That equally applies to me whether using HTML5 or flash for viewing youtubes in firefox. I did also try the desktop gtk youtube player and that also had just video, but no sound. I suspect that's down to not being associated to the right card. Usually in alsa when you F6 to select the card it sets that card as the default, but I suspect that isn't holding true for DD. In Tahr I did code
options snd-usb-audio index=2
at the end of /etc/modprob.d/alsa_base.conf to ensure correct association, but don't know where to do likewise in DD.

SOLVED. Not quite sure what did the trick, but the changes I made were to run alsamixer and note the card number of my headphones (which were Card 1 in DD)

add/change
/root/.retrovol
Code:
# Which soundcard to use
card=hw:1

/etc/asound.conf
Code:
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
Code:
options snd-usb-audio index=1

added after the last line

The only other changes I had to make was to open mplayer (desktop PLAY icon) and in EDIT, PREFERENCES, Player tab), change the Audio Output option to my headphones (GN Netcom USB Audio in my case). I also navigated to a .mp4 file using Thunar, right-clicked and selected the Open With Other Application option, and then selected gnome mplayer from the list and made sure that the 'always use for this filetype' was checked/ticked.

Last edited by rufwoof on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 17:29; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan 2016, 04:15    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
SOLVED. Not quite sure what did the trick, but the changes I made were to run alsamixer and note the card number of my headphones (which were Card 1 in DD)

Thanks, rufwoof.
Your solution posted in DebianDog HowTo thread.
Your read-only persistent setup looks ok. It is better to load the last changes on your system after installing packages as last module (I think changes.squashfs in your case). From your screenshot the loading at the moment is:

01-filesystem.squashfs
changes.squashfs
libreoffice.squashfs
osmo.squashfs
(any saved files in /live/changes using save2flash)

Just make sure osmo and office modules do not include /var/lib/dpkg/status and /var/lib/dpkg/available files (most probably not).

I would use numbers like:

01-filesystem.squashfs
02-libreoffice.squashfs
03-osmo.squashfs
09-changes.squashfs

If libreoffice and osmo modules are made for Puppy there is a small chance for errors trying to install the same packages from official Debian repository or different version libs (older or newer) troubles. Unloading the conflicting module will solve such problem. Just for information as safer choice you can use apt2sfs to create the same modules from official debian packages and we have also option to install osmo from puppy as deb package (with mods to prevent conflicts with official debian osmo version):
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install osmo-portable

And some special packages not included in debian repository and inside the iso you can find here. All available for install with apt-get or synaptic:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/DebianDog/DebianDog-Jessie/Packages/Extra/

Thanks, Fred.
All Repositories and fixes posts updated with frisbee changes.

Toni

rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan 2016, 06:40    Post subject:  

Thanks yet again Toni.

In Tahr I've converted all my sfs's to LZ4 compression. To get that operational I had to upgrade to a more recent kernel as the standard Tahr's kernel doesn't support LZ4 squashed file systems. Whilst the compression is less tight with LZ4 compared to xz and gzip, so takes more disk space, its decompression speeds are VERY quick - more so if multi-cores are available as it uses all cores ... and can churn out decompressed data on a multi-core at speeds that compares to ram speeds. IIRC LZ4 entered the kernel from 3.19 onwards, so DD-Jessie's is pre that. Whilst DD-Jessie has lzo, the next fastest choice, its mksquashfs doesn't have the -Xcompression-level choice enabled. lzop -1 decompression speeds are quick, with modest compression. As a overall choice lzop -1 is a good choice IMO for LIVE running from HDD. Typically lzop might halve data size, but decompress relatively quickly such that it compares in speed to reading non compressed (half of time to read, half of time to decompress ... that compares to reading twice as much non compressed data). Whilst not as good as lz4 for speed, its a reasonable second choice IMO. Accordingly I've just compiled a mksquashfs specifically to cater for lzop -1 compression and re-squashed all of my DD sfs's to that. Thanks to you Toni I've named them with a numerical (sort) prefix according to the appropriate load sequence order.

The better choice however remains LZ4 for overall speed. However that's a relatively trivial matter as the likes of Puppy (and DD Jessie) are relatively small compared to the amounts of memory/ram available in more recent hardware - such that more typically once a program has been read once, it remains in memory. i.e. the speed benefit is only on the first run when its being read from disk, and as Puppy/DD are relatively small/quick anyway, the additional speed improvements are negligible. I do however notice that with 01-filesystem.squashfs compressed using xz it does take longer for the desktop to initially load. With lzop typically the desktop is loaded before the frisbee ethernet number 10.0.0.2 or whatever flash up disappears, with xz typically the screen is still black when that flashup disappears. I am however running on older kit (Celleron D single core).

Thanks again Toni. You're a star. Loving DD Jessie.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan 2016, 07:01    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
If libreoffice and osmo modules are made for Puppy there is a small chance for errors trying to install the same packages from official Debian repository or different version libs (older or newer) troubles. Unloading the conflicting module will solve such problem. Just for information as safer choice you can use apt2sfs to create the same modules from official debian packages and we have also option to install osmo from puppy as deb package (with mods to prevent conflicts with official debian osmo version):
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install osmo-portable

And some special packages not included in debian repository and inside the iso you can find here. All available for install with apt-get or synaptic:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/DebianDog/DebianDog-Jessie/Packages/Extra/

The great benefit of running a frugal (live) read only system with optional-persistence is that risk is eliminated. I for instance now have DD configured to how I like, locale etc. and the programs I typically use added in as sfs's (Libre, Skype, Osmo) and the 'changes' folder converted to read only (09-changes.sfs), so that the 'changes' folder is empty - but available to be written if desired (save2flash or clicking yes at shutdown). So now I can play and learn to my hearts content, trying/learning apt-get with no concern if I make mistakes as a reboot has the system back to as before. Once I've played/learned then most likely I will switch to using the official apt-get choice, but equally likely I'll continue to run with a read-only (optional persistence) choice as I just love the security/stability of that. After a while typically the only changes needed are security updates. Otherwise you just run with the exact same system all of the time.

Once you're used to such security/stability its uncomfortable to revert to read/write based systems (read/write full installs). If you are anything like me sooner or later that will become corrupt and need to be reinstalled and reconfigured again, and more often by the time that occurs you've forgotten what and how you made the changes.

The downside is that data has to be stored outside of the system - on HDD or in the Cloud (googledrive or whatever). I for instance have my osmo files on HDD and sym-link to that. I also prefer Portable Firefox (and Chrome) that resides on HDD so all bookmarks added are preserved. And any data/docs I store on a HDD /DATA folder. Personally however that's not a issue/inconvenience for me.

saintless

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan 2016, 06:02    Post subject:  

Hi rufwoof.

Thanks for the xorg.conf video mode example. It solves the problem reported by Terry (sunburnt) a long time ago here.
Link added to the xorg.conf howto post.

I use very old hardware (P-II, P-III) and I can confirm xz compression boots slower and the system works slower in general. Main module compressed with gzip boots and works much faster and this is the reason to keep gzip compression for DD-Squeeze (for low ram old machines like mine).

I will try to experiment with LZ4 when I have some spare time. Changing the kernel to version 3.19 or 4.x is possible for Jessie, Wheezy and even Squeeze. I remember I had success with 4.0-liquorix kernel before. Maybe I will make separate kernel module later. I will check for squashfs-tools version with LZ4 support also.

BTW DebianDog project is a result from more people work posted at the end here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Wheezy/releases/tag/v1.0
All thanks go to them. The OpenBox version and porteus-boot are available thanks to Fred with help from sfs from http://forum.puppyrus.org/ active also in this forum (to make it work with official Debian kernel). My contribution is the small base to start with and the desire to keep it 100% Debian compatible (including official Debian kernel use).

Toni

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan 2016, 10:08    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
I can confirm xz compression boots slower and the system works slower in general. Main module compressed with gzip boots and works much faster and this is the reason to keep gzip compression for DD-Squeeze (for low ram old machines like mine).

I will try to experiment with LZ4 when I have some spare time. Changing the kernel to version 3.19 or 4.x is possible for Jessie, Wheezy and even Squeeze. I remember I had success with 4.0-liquorix kernel before. Maybe I will make separate kernel module later. I will check for squashfs-tools version with LZ4 support also.

As-is DD Jessie (openbox) includes lzo (lzop). From experience lzop -1 (low compression) is also fast, but I believe tied to a single processor. Trouble is that the current DDJ mksquashfs doesn't include lzo compression level setting and appears to opt for the higher level choice (something like level 2 through 6 are all much the same anyway IIRC). For my Tahr compiled version I have the option to

mksquashfs SOMEDIR SOMEFILE.sfs -comp lzo -Xcompression-level 1

so as to use the fast/low compression choice.

That's similar for HDD based files to using no compression (half sized (due to compression) filesize + decompression time compares to the time to straight read non compressed data).

Using no compression of squashfs

mksquashfs SOMEDIR SOMEFILE.sfs -noX -noD -noF -noI

(that's a big i in the -noI parameter (not a L or 1))

if you've loads of disk space and boot frugally from HDD is a reasonable alternative choice ... not only for low spec PC's. Either high speed decompression (lzo/lz4) or no decompression obviously alleviate the processor. If you do boot frugally from HDD i.e. have a grub4dos or similar boot-loader that is installed on HDD and that reads the main files (/live or whatever directory) from HDD, then no compression and no-copy is a great choice.

When not copied only the files required are copied as/when needed so more of memory remains free, and its like only copying in whatever files are needed piecemeal ... during the session lifetime. Once copied in the small size of DD/Pup usually means that things remain memory bound (paged in). Such that a slow initial boot when everything is copied in at bootup reduces to being a much quicker bootup, negligible (if any) operational speed.

Attached is a 32 bit pae DD-J compiled mksquashsh that supports lzo only (actually .gz i.e. is compressed using gzip). The current DD-J unsquashfs (and kernel) supports that already. I named mine mklzosquashfs and dropped it alongside mksquashfs so now I can

mklzosquashfs SOMEDIR SOMEFILE.squashfs -comp lzo -Xcompression-level 1
mklzosquashfs.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  mklzosquashfs.gz 
Filesize  112.54 KB 
Downloaded  215 Time(s) 

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan 2016, 10:38    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
rufwoof wrote:
From the nvidia web site you can search for and download the drivers appropriate to your card - i.e. provides a NVIDIAxxxx.run file

Thanks for sharing. Probably the same or similar information is available on Nvidia Debian Wiki page.

After running for a few days with the actual Nvidia drivers I found that the ones already inbuilt into Jessie were as good, and better integrated (more stable). Accordingly I've reverted to excluding the nvidia. That did result in some choices of resolution being unavailable, but as per http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=883372#883372 that's relatively easily resolvable.

As noted in the link you provided - As of jessie, the need for the proprietary drivers is pretty much over - nouveau now works quite well and works with dual-headed displays by simple and easy configuring from within your desktop

That's one of the great aspects of DD Jessie, in the past for puppy I've googled 'puppy murga ......' to search for solutions. With DD Jessie you can just use a total web search of 'debian jessie ....' and be presented with a wealth of knowledge. The other aspect I like is the wider user testing/debugging and Stable offerings. With puppy it seems that developers (quite rightly) move onto the next project once 'completing' their current project, leaving in some cases test/unstable versions in their wake. With Debian stable things are more ... stable for end users.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan 2016, 11:44    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Here's a small fix for frisbee:
The change is in:
- file: /usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/99-frisbee_tray
Changed every instance of "frisbee_tray" to "network_tray" (frisbee_tray doesn't exist in the system)
This way the tray icon will refresh (corresponding with the network status) when e.g. plugging in/out the cable or when connect to wireless.
Also added:
Code:
[ -z "`pidof network_tray`" ] && network_tray &

- script: /usr/bin/network_tray.sh
Changed to the above code instead of "network_tray &" (necessary, otherwise 2 icons will show at boot)

I've just tried to compile netmon_wce but that fails with includes being missing (iwlib.h and wireless.h for instance). Tried a lucid version http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=519304#519304 and that compiled ok but had a always on icon. netmon_wce uses a number of icons usually located in /usr/share/pixmaps/puppy and I think delayedrun also has some influence (I'm somewhat in the dark with how it all works).

Perhaps I've overwritten some stuff or otherwise messed things up so it might just be me. Does standard DD-Jessie (32bit pae openbox) normally have the network icon blink/change as data flows (or not) when hard wired (ethernet)? Conky shows data activity dynamically ok.

fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan 2016, 13:54    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
Does standard DD-Jessie (32bit pae openbox) normally have the network icon blink/change as data flows (or not) when hard wired (ethernet)?

No, it doesn't for me, the little wire at the bottom of the icon shows if there's connection (lightens up) or not.

With the latest fix the icon becomes green if there's connection, but doesn't change when there's data flow.

Fred
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan 2016, 15:13    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
rufwoof wrote:
Does standard DD-Jessie (32bit pae openbox) normally have the network icon blink/change as data flows (or not) when hard wired (ethernet)?

No, it doesn't for me, the little wire at the bottom of the icon shows if there's connection (lightens up) or not.

With the latest fix the icon becomes green if there's connection, but doesn't change when there's data flow.

In DD Wheezy all works fine. I created a squashfs of netmon-wce contents and Activated that and it continued to work ok in Wheezy. So looks like its something in Jessie that's not anything to do with netmon-wce.

Page 27 of 68 [1013 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: