System Tray Icon for Alsamixer?

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Disco Makberto

System Tray Icon for Alsamixer?

#1 Post by Disco Makberto »

Hi, there!

Please let me know, is there a system tray icon for Alsamixer? The idea is for me to be able to click on it, open Alsamixer, and avoid having to go all the way through the menu, for instance. I am using TahrPup 6.0.3, and although Alsamixer is not on the menu by default, I think can add it somewhat easily. But again, the idea is to have Alsamixer handy by adding a system tray icon which would make Alsamixer just a click away.

All the best to everybody for 2016!

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: System Tray Icon for Alsamixer?

#2 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Disco Makberto wrote:Hi, there!

Please let me know, is there a system tray icon for Alsamixer? The idea is for me to be able to click on it, open Alsamixer, and avoid having to go all the way through the menu, for instance. I am using TahrPup 6.0.3, and although Alsamixer is not on the menu by default, I think can add it somewhat easily. But again, the idea is to have Alsamixer handy by adding a system tray icon which would make Alsamixer just a click away.

All the best to everybody for 2016!

Carlos Albert
D-Mak
you could put it on the the jwm tray by opening the file (geany /root/.jwmrc-tray (or leafpad /root/.jwmrc-tray) in the terminal is probably the fastest way to get there) and then adding

<TrayButton label="alsa" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/sound.svg">exec:alsawizard</TrayButton>
or, for one without a label,
<TrayButton icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/sound.svg">exec:alsawizard</TrayButton>

to it. top to bottom in the file is more or less relative position left to right on the tray--use the dock, pager, tasklist and clock as additional placement guides.

hth

rufwoof

#3 Post by rufwoof »

/usr/local/pequalizer/pequalizer (Menu, Multimedia, pEqualizer) is another that you might like to add in a similar manner.

Would be nice if perhaps both were added to the right click speaker menu options.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

Disco Makberto

#4 Post by Disco Makberto »

Wonderful, Puppus Dogfellow! I have been waiting for such a solution for a long time now (: One way or another, after including the lines you told me to add to .jwmrc-tray, the alsamixer icon that opens alsamixer appears on the left side of the panel. How do I move it to the right side? I noticed, on the .jwrc-tray, that many icons that appear on the right side include </Swallow> -->.

By the way, I use the words alsamixer in lieu of alsawizard since I am looking to deal with alsamixer and not alsawizard.

Many thanks,

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

Disco Makberto

#5 Post by Disco Makberto »

rufwoof wrote: Would be nice if perhaps both were added to the right click speaker menu options.
Yes, rufwoof. That would have been my second best option. I was thinking along the lines of "Retrovol-0.14.3.2-X extended version" (with extra options for Alsamixer and even pEqualizer) by Geoffrey and rg66. You can read more about this modified Retrovol here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100081 .

Cheers,

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

Puppus Dogfellow

#6 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Disco Makberto wrote:Wonderful, Puppus Dogfellow! I have been waiting for such a solution for a long time now (: One way or another, after including the lines you told me to add to .jwmrc-tray, the alsamixer icon that opens alsamixer appears on the left side of the panel. How do I move it to the right side? I noticed, on the .jwrc-tray, that many icons that appear on the right side include </Swallow> -->.

By the way, I use the words alsamixer in lieu of alsawizard since I am looking to deal with alsamixer and not alsawizard.

Many thanks,

Carlos Albert
D-Mak
your tray should look something like the following:

<JWM>
<Tray autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="28" >

<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->

thing 1:
<TrayButton label="Menu" icon="mini-dog.xpm">root:3</TrayButton>

<!-- <TrayButton popup="Run commandline" icon="gexec.xpm">exec:gexec</TrayButton> -->
<!-- <TrayButton popup="Free space in drives" icon="mini-hdisk.xpm">exec:partview</TrayButton> -->
<TrayButton popup="Show Desktop" icon="mini-desktop.xpm">showdesktop</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="Virtual Keyboard" icon="mini-keyboard.xpm">exec:xvkbd-wrapper</TrayButton>

^last thing before the thing that shows the desktops:

PAGER SETS WHICH DESKTOP AND IS AN EASY VISUAL MARKER:

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
<Pager/>

<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
DO YOU WANT THE BUTTON BEFORE

<TaskList/>
OR AFTER THE LIST OF OPEN WINDOWS THAT APPEARS ON THE TRAY?

<Dock/>
THE DOCK HAS THE VOLUME CONTROL AND STUFF LIKE THAT. MOST OF THE STUFF THAT FOLLOWS IS PART OF IT UNTIL YOU GET TO THE XLOAD METER AND CLOCK

<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->

<!-- <Swallow name="blinky">
blinkydelayed -bg "#DCDAD5"
</Swallow> -->
(blinky's not active)
<!-- <Swallow name="xtmix-launcher">
xtmix -launch
</Swallow> -->
(also commented out by default)
<!-- <Swallow name="asapm">
asapmshell -u 4
</Swallow> -->
(this one too isn't really here according to the computer and tray)
<!-- <Swallow name="freememapplet" width="34">
freememappletshell
</Swallow> -->
(nor this)
<Swallow name="xload" width="32">
xload -nolabel -bg "#888888" -fg red -hl white
</Swallow>
MOST OF THIS SWALLOWED STUFF (APART FROM THE XLOAD METER) APPEARS COMMENTED OUT BY DEFAULT--THOSE ARROWS TELL THE MACHINE TO IGNORE THE LINE--IT'S ALL JUST RELATIVE POSTITION LEADING TO THE XLOAD METER AND THE CLOCK

PLACE HERE FOR BEFORE THE CLOCK
<Clock format="%l:%M %p">PupClockset</Clock>

HERE FOR AFTER THE CLOCK
</Tray>
</JWM>

hth and sorry for the caps--i rarely use them and perhaps got carried away.

:lol:

Disco Makberto

#7 Post by Disco Makberto »

Okay, thanks!

Carlos Albert
D-Mak