DebianDog - Jessie (21 June 2017)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#421 Post by fredx181 »

Rufwoof, did you try already "apt2sfs" or "apt2sfs-cli" (commandline, no gui)?
It can create a .squashfs module for one program or several programs (dependencies included) all in one sfs.
For example type:
iceweasel gimp libreoffice
and it will create module: "iceweasel_gimp_libreoffice.squashfs"
It's safe to load with sfs-load because the packages will not be registered by dpkg and apt.
Btw, the right-click option "Activate module (safe mode)" will not overwrite any existing files in the system.

Fred

rufwoof

#422 Post by rufwoof »

No I haven't tried those (yet) Fred, thanks.

The only one I've run so far is the one that converts the changes folder to a squashfs (create module from changes) and that worked well for me.

So rather than installing something into the core, if I boot with save on exit (and don't actually save on exit), install a program from the repository (apt get or synaptic), and then create a sfs of that, then at next reboot that program isn't in the core system (as I didn't save on exit) but can be loaded as a sfs. Cool :) (Handy and coincidental that your DD-Jessie 4.3.3 kernel coincides with the k4.3.3 based Tahr that I'm running - I'll be trying some sfs portability tests :) - build SFS using DD/Debian repository, run under Tahr).

In other pups it can be difficult to track down apps/sfs's, DD-J and its repository looks to be a good source of creating sfs's of desired apps for potential use in other pups (assuming compatible).

I had wondered about the activate safe mode and the difference to just 'activate' - so one (activate) overwrites existing, and the other (safe mode) doesn't. Thanks.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

fredx181

#423 Post by fredx181 »

Hi rufwoof,
So rather than installing something into the core, if I boot with save on exit (and don't actually save on exit), install a program from the repository (apt get or synaptic), and then create a sfs of that, then at next reboot that program isn't in the core system (as I didn't save on exit) but can be loaded as a sfs.
Well, yes, sort of. Not with synaptic but by running apt2sfs or apt2sfs-cli (which calls apt-get).
It "looks" inside the base system (01-filesystem.squashfs) for which dependencies are required and from there (as base) it installs the packages outside the actual running system (in chroot) and creates sfs module from it, leaving no traces behind in the running system.
See also here in Utility thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 224#773224
(not really up to date, apt2sfs has been changed a little in the meantime, the uninstall part is not needed anymore in latest version, as all happens in chroot)

Fred

rufwoof

#424 Post by rufwoof »

Just discovered for myself that it uses apt-get and the program doesn't already have to be installed.

Changed my /opt/bin/ap2sfs to use -comp lzo -Xcompression-level 1 (as I'm currently running with the original 3.16 kernel which doesn't support lz4) for the mksquashfsh part as the xz high compression existing choice was too slow for my liking. lzo level 1 is about the same speed as lz4 for decompression on a single core (such as mine), lz4 is faster on multi-core as it uses all cores available. Using audacity as a test case it all ran through fine, renamed it 05-audacity.squashfs and dropped it into /live so as to be between 01-filesystem.squashfs and 09-changes.squashfs, rebooted and its loading/running well. [Note : the standard jessie doesn't support mksquashfs lzo level setting and just has a single default setting, I've updated my mksquashfs so that lzo level setting is a option].

During apt2sfs it gave me the option to use 01-filesytem or 09-changes as a base to build upon and I opted for 01-filesystem as that seemed to be the more logical choice.

Under Porteus boot that I use I believe there's no limit to the number of sfs's that can be loaded (under the other choice of boot there's a low number limit I believe (6 or 8 )?). I use the Porteus choice so number of sfs's isn't a concern.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rufwoof

#425 Post by rufwoof »

Reading Debian news https://www.debian.org/News/ the recent 8.3 update article link led me to the security page https://www.debian.org/security/ in which I noted the advisory inclusion of deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free in /etc/apt/sources is already present in my installation.

That also advises you should run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade to download and apply any pending security updates. After running that I got a 0 (zero) changes made (not surprising as I ran a full update earlier in the day).

I'm wondering however whether I should be including that as a cron task so that it automatically runs once in a while (or maybe even as part of Startup so it's checked every day). What's the common practice?

I'm quite happy to let other (non security) updates lapse for a while, as after the full update I did earlier today the updated firefox (using Help, About, Check for Updates) that had raised Firefox to version 43.0.4, reverted to presumably the 'Stable' earlier version (something like version 34).

TIA.

PS - on a separate note, I've edited this earlier How To posting about video modes http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 372#883372 to include setting a 720p 32" TV as a monitor to use 1280x720 resolution rather than 1366x768. A 16:9 TV when mapped to 1280x720 is a perfect 80 times scale for both the vertical and horizontal and text/fonts are noticeably cleaner.

saintless

#426 Post by saintless »

Thanks for posting in HowTo thread, rufwoof.
I'm sure your information will help more people in the future.
rufwoof wrote:I'm wondering however whether I should be including that as a cron task so that it automatically runs once in a while (or maybe even as part of Startup so it's checked every day). What's the common practice?
Maybe something like this in executable script inside /root/Startup (or $HOME/Startup for user account):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
xterm -e "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y"

I think KDE, Gnome and other Desktops have different tools to do the same job and I read another method here with /etc/apt/apt.conf file and unattended-upgrades package (it is for older Debian system but maybe still works):
http://serverfault.com/questions/22324/ ... able#22375

Toni

saintless

#427 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Re-uploaded kernel-4.3.3-lz4+aufs+squashfs-tools.tar.gz. all files replaced that are kernel/boot related.
Hi Fred.
Just made quick test and I think with all kernels above 3.19 (or maybe 3.16) we have problem compiling some modules on jessie. This one for example fails on liquorix-4.4-0 and your 4.3.3-lz4 (but compiles fine on the official 3.16 debian kernel):

root@debian:~# apt-get install west-chamber-dkms
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  binutils cpp cpp-4.9 dkms gcc gcc-4.9 iptables-dev libasan1 libatomic1
  libcilkrts5 libgcc-4.9-dev libgomp1 libitm1 libubsan0 make
  xtables-addons-common xtables-addons-dkms
Setting up xtables-addons-dkms (2.6-1) ...
Loading new xtables-addons-2.6 DKMS files...
First Installation: checking all kernels...
Building only for 4.3.3-lz4
Building initial module for 4.3.3-lz4
Error!  Build of xt_ACCOUNT.ko failed for: 4.3.3-lz4 (i686)
Consult the make.log in the build directory
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/ for more information.
dpkg: error processing package xtables-addons-dkms (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 7
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of west-chamber-dkms:
 west-chamber-dkms depends on xtables-addons-dkms (>= 2.4); however:
  Package xtables-addons-dkms is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package west-chamber-dkms (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 xtables-addons-dkms
 west-chamber-dkms
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
And the make.log content:

DKMS make.log for xtables-addons-2.6 for kernel 4.3.3-lz4 (i686)
Tue Jan 26 10:08:17 EET 2016
make: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.3.3-lz4'
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
echo >&2;							\
echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
echo >&2 ;							\
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/.tmp_versions/*
make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/.compat_xtables.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i586-linux-gnu/4.9/include -I./arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -fno-pic -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -mtune=generic -maccumulate-outgoing-args -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -DCONFIG_AS_SSSE3=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CRC32=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -Wframe-larger-than=1024 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-var-tracking-assignments -g -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=strict-prototypes -Werror=date-time -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(compat_xtables)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(compat_xtables)" -c -o /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/.tmp_compat_xtables.o /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/compat_xtables.c
  if [ "-pg" = "-pg" ]; then if [ /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/compat_xtables.o != "scripts/mod/empty.o" ]; then ./scripts/recordmcount  "/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/compat_xtables.o"; fi; fi;
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/.xt_CHAOS.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i586-linux-gnu/4.9/include -I./arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -fno-pic -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -mtune=generic -maccumulate-outgoing-args -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -DCONFIG_AS_SSSE3=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CRC32=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -Wframe-larger-than=1024 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-var-tracking-assignments -g -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=strict-prototypes -Werror=date-time -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(xt_CHAOS)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(xt_CHAOS)" -c -o /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/.tmp_xt_CHAOS.o /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_CHAOS.c
  if [ "-pg" = "-pg" ]; then if [ /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_CHAOS.o != "scripts/mod/empty.o" ]; then ./scripts/recordmcount  "/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_CHAOS.o"; fi; fi;
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/.xt_DELUDE.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i586-linux-gnu/4.9/include -I./arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -fno-pic -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -mtune=generic -maccumulate-outgoing-args -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -DCONFIG_AS_SSSE3=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CRC32=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -Wframe-larger-than=1024 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-var-tracking-assignments -g -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=strict-prototypes -Werror=date-time -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(xt_DELUDE)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(xt_DELUDE)" -c -o /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/.tmp_xt_DELUDE.o /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DELUDE.c
  if [ "-pg" = "-pg" ]; then if [ /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DELUDE.o != "scripts/mod/empty.o" ]; then ./scripts/recordmcount  "/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DELUDE.o"; fi; fi;
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/.xt_DHCPMAC.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i586-linux-gnu/4.9/include -I./arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -fno-pic -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -mtune=generic -maccumulate-outgoing-args -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -DCONFIG_AS_SSSE3=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CRC32=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -Wframe-larger-than=1024 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-var-tracking-assignments -g -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=strict-prototypes -Werror=date-time -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(xt_DHCPMAC)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(xt_DHCPMAC)" -c -o /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/.tmp_xt_DHCPMAC.o /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DHCPMAC.c
  if [ "-pg" = "-pg" ]; then if [ /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DHCPMAC.o != "scripts/mod/empty.o" ]; then ./scripts/recordmcount  "/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DHCPMAC.o"; fi; fi;
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/.xt_DNETMAP.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i586-linux-gnu/4.9/include -I./arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -fno-pic -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -mtune=generic -maccumulate-outgoing-args -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -DCONFIG_AS_SSSE3=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CRC32=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -Wframe-larger-than=1024 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-var-tracking-assignments -g -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=strict-prototypes -Werror=date-time -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(xt_DNETMAP)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(xt_DNETMAP)" -c -o /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/.tmp_xt_DNETMAP.o /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c: In function 'dnetmap_prefix_destroy':
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c:185:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'remove_proc_entry' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  remove_proc_entry(p->proc_str_data, dnetmap_net->xt_dnetmap);
  ^
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c: In function 'dnetmap_tg_check':
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c:321:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'proc_create_data' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  pde_data = proc_create_data(p->proc_str_data, proc_perms,
  ^
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c:321:11: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
  pde_data = proc_create_data(p->proc_str_data, proc_perms,
           ^
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c:329:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'proc_set_user' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  proc_set_user(pde_data, make_kuid(&init_user_ns, proc_uid),
  ^
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c:333:11: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
  pde_stat = proc_create_data(p->proc_str_stat, proc_perms,
           ^
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c: In function 'dnetmap_seq_open':
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c:598:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  st->p = PDE_DATA(inode);
  ^
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c:598:8: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
  st->p = PDE_DATA(inode);
        ^
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c: In function 'dnetmap_tg_proc_write':
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c:605:29: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast
  struct dnetmap_prefix *p = PDE_DATA(file_inode(file));
                             ^
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c: In function 'dnetmap_stat_proc_open':
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c:816:51: warning: passing argument 3 of 'single_open' makes pointer from integer without a cast
  return single_open(file, dnetmap_stat_proc_show, PDE_DATA(inode));
                                                   ^
In file included from include/linux/pinctrl/consumer.h:17:0,
                 from include/linux/pinctrl/devinfo.h:21,
                 from include/linux/device.h:24,
                 from include/linux/dma-mapping.h:5,
                 from include/linux/skbuff.h:34,
                 from include/linux/ip.h:20,
                 from /var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c:23:
include/linux/seq_file.h:140:5: note: expected 'void *' but argument is of type 'int'
 int single_open(struct file *, int (*)(struct seq_file *, void *), void *);
     ^
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c: In function 'dnetmap_proc_net_init':
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c:830:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'proc_mkdir' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  dnetmap_net->xt_dnetmap = proc_mkdir("xt_DNETMAP", net->proc_net);
  ^
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.c:830:26: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
  dnetmap_net->xt_dnetmap = proc_mkdir("xt_DNETMAP", net->proc_net);
                          ^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:264: recipe for target '/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.o' failed
make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions/xt_DNETMAP.o] Error 1
Makefile:1395: recipe for target '_module_/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions' failed
make: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/extensions] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.3.3-lz4'
Probably because of the older gcc and libc6 in Jessie.
I don't mind to provide modules with 4.x kernel as option for lz4 compression boot but with warning it will not be possible to compile some modules or programs.
In any case I don't think we should recommend running unofficial kernel.

Toni

saintless

#428 Post by saintless »

rufwoof wrote:Hi Toni

I just installed the Infinality Fonts - and Synaptic no longer works (Jessie using k4.3.3). Not a issue for me - just highlighting a observation.
Seems we have option for Jessie. I still keep the infinality testing packages on my hard drive.
If you like to test it download and extract this archive and check out the Readme.txt inside:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/De ... sie.tar.gz
This infinality setup should not break Synaptic or anything else.

Toni

rufwoof

#429 Post by rufwoof »

saintless wrote:
fredx181 wrote:Re-uploaded kernel-4.3.3-lz4+aufs+squashfs-tools.tar.gz. all files replaced that are kernel/boot related.
Hi Fred. Just made quick test and I think with all kernels above 3.19 (or maybe 3.16) we have problem compiling some modules on jessie.
That may have something to do with modules signatures and signature key codes not compiling/working correctly (or perhaps outdated/invalid keys, or signature/key code missing from a build). See for example http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... Nvidi485ac. That all started coming in at around kernel 3.19

Thanks for the other details Toni. Even after just installing/reboot the fonts are great. Haven't tried applying any of the custom configurations yet (EDIT : just noticed that the custom configuration is already applied by default :) ).

fredx181

#430 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Hi Fred.
Just made quick test and I think with all kernels above 3.19 (or maybe 3.16) we have problem compiling some modules on jessie. This one for example fails on liquorix-4.4-0 and your 4.3.3-lz4 (but compiles fine on the official 3.16 debian kernel):
Yes, that seems right to me, tested with the Jessie-backports kernel and it's the same:

root@jessie:~# uname -r
4.3.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae
root@jessie:~#
root@jessie:~# apt-get install west-chamber-dkms 
Building dependency tree       
The following extra packages will be installed:
  xtables-addons-dkms
Recommended packages:
  linux-headers-686-pae linux-headers-amd64 linux-headers-generic
  west-chamber-common
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  west-chamber-dkms xtables-addons-dkms
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 77 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/299 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1608 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
Selecting previously unselected package xtables-addons-dkms.
(Reading database ... 97344 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../xtables-addons-dkms_2.6-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking xtables-addons-dkms (2.6-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package west-chamber-dkms.
Preparing to unpack .../west-chamber-dkms_20100405+svn20111107.r124-5_all.deb ...
Unpacking west-chamber-dkms (20100405+svn20111107.r124-5) ...
Setting up squashfs-tools (1:4.3-3) ...
Setting up xtables-addons-dkms (2.6-1) ...
Loading new xtables-addons-2.6 DKMS files...
First Installation: checking all kernels...
Building only for 4.3.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae
Building initial module for 4.3.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae
Error!  Build of xt_ACCOUNT.ko failed for: 4.3.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae (i686)
Consult the make.log in the build directory
/var/lib/dkms/xtables-addons/2.6/build/ for more information.
dpkg: error processing package xtables-addons-dkms (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 7
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of west-chamber-dkms:
 west-chamber-dkms depends on xtables-addons-dkms (>= 2.4); however:
  Package xtables-addons-dkms is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package west-chamber-dkms (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 xtables-addons-dkms
 west-chamber-dkms
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@jessie:~# 
Btw, if we can solve the problem with this backports kernel I think it is the most proper solution (close as possible to official Debian), to add separate module for LZ4 support (squashfs.ko), just similar as with the aufs-module .deb
From what I tested full LZ4 support works well by just replacing /lib/modules/4.3.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae/kernel/fs/squashfs/squashfs.ko then:

depmod -a 4.3.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae
Fred

rufwoof

#431 Post by rufwoof »

rufwoof wrote:Reading Debian news https://www.debian.org/News/ the recent 8.3 update article link led me to the security page https://www.debian.org/security/ in which I noted the advisory inclusion of deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free in /etc/apt/sources is already present in my installation.

That also advises you should run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade to download and apply any pending security updates. After running that I got a 0 (zero) changes made (not surprising as I ran a full update earlier in the day).

I'm wondering however whether I should be including that as a cron task so that it automatically runs once in a while (or maybe even as part of Startup so it's checked every day). What's the common practice?

I'm quite happy to let other (non security) updates lapse for a while, as after the full update I did earlier today the updated firefox (using Help, About, Check for Updates) that had raised Firefox to version 43.0.4, reverted to presumably the 'Stable' earlier version (something like version 34).
Ahh! The Debian synaptic version is the ESR firefox version. Debian rebadge that as iceweasel. The ESR is more stable and has less frequent updates (excepting security patches). So it would appear that using the synaptic (apt-get) iceweasel instead of firefox is a good choice if you are going to run things the Debian way (only installing things via apt-get or synaptic). I'm starting to like this very much :)

For frugal type installation using ext format partition space and booting with optional save on exit (or at any time manually during the session by running save2flash) i.e. a menu.lst (grub4dos) something like

title Debian-Jessie 32bitpae openbox (sda3) save on EXIT 
root (hd0,2) 
kernel (hd0,2)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/
initrd (hd0,2)/live/initrd1.gz
Set up things as you like, saving as required ... and after configured (installing only apps from synaptic/apt-get) and you can get to a state where you just boot, run apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, apt-clean to update everything to the latest stable versions, run save2flash to save that ... and then use the session doing whatever ........ before finally exiting (shutdown) without saving. That way you keep a clean/healthy frugal system running. This assumes you store all data/docs (and osmo diary/browser bookmarks) outside of the savefolder space (i.e. somewhere else on HDD).

Combine that with periodic backup of the savefolder (/live/changes) .. and of course your data/docs folder/tree. A lz4 supporting mksquashfs is ideal for those backups (which can be made to/on a NTFS partition) as lz4 uses all available cores (so a 1GB savefolder (/live/changes) content in effect gets compressed on a 4 core as though it was processing just 250MB ... and lz4 compression is fast so runs through that quickly).

The benefit is that you have a solid stable system, that unlike a full install is factory fresh/pristine at each reboot, that is updated to the latest versions. The downside is that you're restricted to the programs/apps in the Debian respository (and should avoid installing anything from outside of that). With 45,000+ apps however that's not that limited, but being stable versions often the apps wont be the latest versions of the apps/programs.

It's all a mindset shift (at least for me). Instead of 'I have a PC so what programs can I install' its more a case of 'here's a central repository of stable programs that I can link my PC into and use'. I'm also starting to see why many Ubuntu users are somewhat p'd off as unlike Debian who proclaim their 'Free' priority, Ubuntu have (being commercial) dropped such proclamation and started feeding in adverts etc to users who have 'locked' into their repository.
Last edited by rufwoof on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

That's where SFSes play their role

#432 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rufwoof & All,

rufwoof posted, "...The downside is that you're restricted to the programs/apps in the Debian respository (and should avoid installing anything from outside of that)"

That's where loading and unloading SFSes have a role to play. Could add more as DebianDogs offer a couple different ways to employ SFSes. But I'm still working on my first cup of coffee and their distinctions and use --not yet fully internalized-- is currently fuzzy :? .

But, at any rate, not much of a restriction. :D

mikesLr

rufwoof

#433 Post by rufwoof »

The way I outlined to run DD, not much of a risk either as you might load a sfs during a session after having booted/updated/saved DD and it wouldn't matter if a sfs screwed up the (local) synaptic database or whatever as at the next reboot you'd be back to pristine again. Only if you saved after having loaded/unloaded sfs's would it risk jeopardising the local synaptic database.

If you used a sfs regularly the sfs loading could be tagged onto the end of the apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, apt-get clean sequence (assuming you had a script in Startup or wherever that was doing that). i.e. no squashfs's in /live other than the 01-filesystem.squashfs, load sfs's dynamically (after desktop rather than before desktop).

mikeslr

#434 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rufwoof,

Exactly my fuzzy half-thought-out idea, more fully and accurately fleshed out. :)

mikesLr

rufwoof

#435 Post by rufwoof »

I think I'm doing something wrong!

Fundamentally so far over the last few days I've just installed Libre from synaptic, removed firefox, installed iceweasel.

A moment ago I ran apt-get upgrade and that picked up on the most recent iceweasel and installed that later version ... and its running fine. /live/changes however is expanding rapidly - prior to the iceweasel update it stood at around 1.3GB and now its up at 1.7GB.

/usr/lib is at 660MB of which 236MB is in libre sub-directory and 210MB is i386-linux-gnu

When Libre was installed there were a lot of other things that were also installed (dependencies) so the increase in /lib/changes wasn't a surprise to me. For just a iceweasel update seeing the /live/changes expand by around 300 or 400MB however ???

A extract of /var/log/apt/term.log shows ...

(Reading database ... 100%
(Reading database ... 43118 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../iceweasel_38.6.0esr-1~deb8u1_i386.deb ...
Leaving 'diversion of /usr/bin/firefox to /usr/bin/firefox.real by iceweasel'
Unpacking iceweasel (38.6.0esr-1~deb8u1) over (38.5.0esr-1~deb8u2) ...
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.47) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1) ...
Setting up iceweasel (38.6.0esr-1~deb8u1) ...
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/bin/iceweasel because link group x-www-browser is broken
update-alternatives: warning: not replacing /usr/share/man/man1/x-www-browser.1.gz with a link
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/bin/iceweasel because link group gnome-www-browser is broken
update-alternatives: warning: not replacing /usr/share/man/man1/gnome-www-browser.1.gz with a link
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.47) ...
Log ended: 2016-01-27  22:51:36
Is it just finding its foundations? For instance I've seen different versions of perl and python that seem to be installed, or is there a apparent problem with such a /live/changes size expansion?

TIA

saintless

#436 Post by saintless »

rufwoof wrote:Fundamentally so far over the last few days I've just installed Libre from synaptic, removed firefox, installed iceweasel.
Hi rufwoof.

Tested on fresh frugal install DD-Jwm version saving changes in live folder. The result should be similar in DD-OpenBox. Something is wrong with your numbers and /live/changes should be smaller or you have something more installed. Maybe checking some package in Synaptic by mistake?

This is what I did using apt-get in terminal from fresh DD-Jessie frugal install:

root@debian:~# apt-get update
root@debian:~# apt-get install libreoffice
Building dependency tree       
  coinor-libcbc3 coinor-libcgl1 coinor-libclp1 coinor-libcoinmp1
  coinor-libcoinutils3 coinor-libosi1 dh-python fonts-dejavu
  fonts-dejavu-extra fonts-opensymbol fonts-sil-gentium-basic iso-codes
  libabw-0.1-1 libblas-common libblas3 libboost-date-time1.55.0
  libboost-iostreams1.55.0 libboost-system1.55.0 libcdr-0.1-1
  libclucene-contribs1 libclucene-core1 libcmis-0.4-4 libcolamd2.8.0
  libe-book-0.1-1 libeot0 libetonyek-0.1-1 libexttextcat-2.0-0
  libexttextcat-data libfreehand-0.1-1 libgfortran3 libglew1.10 libgltf-0.0-0
  libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 libgstreamer1.0-0 libharfbuzz-icu0
  libhunspell-1.3-0 libhyphen0 libicu52 liblangtag-common liblangtag1
  liblapack3 libltdl7 libmhash2 libmpdec2 libmspub-0.1-1 libmwaw-0.3-3
  libmythes-1.2-0 libneon27-gnutls libnspr4 libnss3 libodfgen-0.1-1
  liborc-0.4-0 liborcus-0.8-0 libpython3-stdlib libpython3.4
  libpython3.4-minimal libpython3.4-stdlib libraptor2-0 librasqal3 librdf0
  libreoffice libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer libreoffice-base
  libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-base-drivers libreoffice-calc
  libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-impress
  libreoffice-java-common libreoffice-math libreoffice-report-builder-bin
  libreoffice-style-galaxy libreoffice-writer librevenge-0.0-0 libvisio-0.1-1
  libwpd-0.10-10 libwpg-0.3-3 libwps-0.3-3 libxslt1.1 libyajl2 lp-solve
  python3 python3-minimal python3-uno python3.4 python3.4-minimal uno-libs3
  ure
0 upgraded, 90 newly installed, 0 to remove and 73 not upgraded.
Need to get 114 MB of archives.
After this operation, 420 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
You can see the message 420 Mb disk space will be used and it is correct.

Then I did the same with iceweasel:

root@debian:~# apt-get install iceweasel
Building dependency tree       
  iceweasel libevent-2.0-5
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 73 not upgraded.
Need to get 41.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 97.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Again the 97,4Mb disk space message is correct and the version is the same as the one in your log report.

The results (after running apt-get clean first):

/live/changes/ = 572Mb
/usr/lib/ = 420MB
/usr/lib/libreoffice = 229MB
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ = 53MB

Then I did apt-get upgrade (I guess you also have the upgrades inside /live/changes). Note this upgrade will install new version of packages you already have in 01-filesystem.squashfs but inside /live/changes. To save space this apt-get upgrade result should be remastered in new 01-filesystem.squashfs before installing libreoffice and Iseweasel:

root@debian:~# apt-get upgrade
Building dependency tree       
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse
The following packages will be upgraded:
  apt apt-utils base-files ca-certificates cryptsetup-bin curl curlftpfs dbus
  dbus-x11 exfat-utils file fixdepinstall frisbee fuse gnome-mplayer-1.0.7
  lame libapt-inst1.5 libapt-pkg4.12 libc-bin libc6 libc6-i686 libcurl3
  libcurl3-gnutls libdbus-1-3 libegl1-mesa libfreetype6 libfuse2
  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa
  libgnutls-deb0-28 libgnutls-openssl27 libgssapi-krb5-2 libgtk-3-0
  libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common libk5crypto3 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0
  libldap-2.4-2 libmagic1 libmp3lame0 libpam-modules libpam-modules-bin
  libpam-runtime libpam0g libpcre3 libperl5.20 libpng12-0 libsasl2-2
  libsasl2-modules-db libssl1.0.0 libsystemd-login0 libsystemd0 libudev1 login
  multiarch-support ntp openssl passwd perl perl-base perl-modules rsyslog
  sudo systemd tzdata udev unzip wpasupplicant xserver-xorg-video-modesetting
72 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 44.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 4699 kB disk space will be freed.
The message 4699 kB disk space will be freed is not correct for frugal install. It will be correct if you make system remaster in new 01-filesistem.squashfs module.
And the result after the upgrade will increase the /live/changes size:

/live/changes/ = 858 Mb
/usr/lib/ = 552 MB
/usr/lib/libreoffice = 229 MB
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ = 163 MB

Still /live/changes size is much smaller compared to yours. So I suspect you have some other extra packages installed (not only Iceweasel and Libreoffice) or dependencies from uninstalled package or deb packages in /var/cache/apt/archives

Check the size of /root and try:

apt-get clean
apt-get -f install
apt-get autoremove
Toni

saintless

#437 Post by saintless »

Hi Fred.
fredx181 wrote:Btw, if we can solve the problem with this backports kernel I think it is the most proper solution (close as possible to official Debian), to add separate module for LZ4 support (squashfs.ko), just similar as with the aufs-module .deb
From what I tested full LZ4 support works well by just replacing /lib/modules/4.3.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae/kernel/fs/squashfs/squashfs.ko then:

depmod -a 4.3.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae
I doubt we can solve this. It is not gcc problem because I can't compile it after upgrading libc6 and gcc to the sid versions.
I suspect west-chamber-dkms will have the same compiling problem in Sid and Stretch with kernel 4.x I will do such test when I have time. I think rufwoof is right what the real problem is and I see no solution for the moment:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 998#883998
Even if we can make west-chamber-dkms compiling work we don't know how many packages have the same problem. In my opinion the best option is to compile 3.16 kernel with lz4 support but I'm not sure it is possible.
Or we can make any kernel 4.x module you prefer for optional lz4 compression for jessie and Wheeze and add warning about some compiling problems using such unofficial kernel.

Toni

saintless

#438 Post by saintless »

rufwoof wrote:The way I outlined to run DD, not much of a risk either as you might load a sfs during a session after having booted/updated/saved DD and it wouldn't matter if a sfs screwed up the (local) synaptic database or whatever as at the next reboot you'd be back to pristine again. Only if you saved after having loaded/unloaded sfs's would it risk jeopardising the local synaptic database.

If you used a sfs regularly the sfs loading could be tagged onto the end of the apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, apt-get clean sequence (assuming you had a script in Startup or wherever that was doing that). i.e. no squashfs's in /live other than the 01-filesystem.squashfs, load sfs's dynamically (after desktop rather than before desktop).
It will be safe method to run the system as long as you make sure you don't have /var/lib/dpkg/info, /var/lib/dpkg/status and /var/lib/dpkg/available in other extra sfs modules. They should be included only in 01-filesystem.squashfs and the updated versions in /live/changes
This is the reason to have /var/lib/dpkg files renamed by default in RemasterCow and in apt2sfs utilities.

If you have /var/lib/dpkg/info, /var/lib/dpkg/status or /var/lib/dpkg/available in some extra module running "apt-get update && apt-get install some-package" will break dpkg (apt-get, Synaptic), because the /var/lib/dpkg/ content in /live/changes will be updated with false information. Loading the module (before or after boot to desktop) will overwrite the /var/lib/dpkg/ content as long the module is loaded. Even if you use safe mode loading some new files in /var/lib/dpkg/info could be added from extra sfs module and they also could break the package manger after installing/removing programs.

If you don't install/remove programs while extra modules are loaded you are safe.

Toni

rufwoof

#439 Post by rufwoof »

You're a star Toni - thanks.

It was /root. Looks like when I made a lz4 squashfs backup of /live/changes (after having apt-get upgraded) a copy somehow ended up under /root. With that gone its great - thanks. Thinking back I did make a typing mistake when making the backup, fired-it-off and then cancelled when I noticed the mistake to then re-run the corrected version, I suspect however that the first version still continued to run to completion without me noticing it had generated a (large) file under /root.

Just a thought, but is it conceptually possible to have a 01-filesystem.squashfs that is near empty with all/most of its content moved into /live/changes, so that any updates actually replaces/removes those 'original' files if/when they are replaced by updates? I guess that some files would have to remain in 01-filesystem.squashfs, but a large chunk might be in /live/changes. I'm seeing 01-filesystem.squashfs uncompressed being comprised of around 537MB total, 166MB of that is /lib which would have to stay (mostly firmware/modules), but /usr (258MB) and /opt (75MB) (combined 333MB of the 537MB total) could perhaps be in /live/changes (reducing 01-filesystem.squashfs down to around 200MB of uncompressed (perhaps 100MB compressed) that would always (unless remastered) remain (if even 'deleted').

saintless

#440 Post by saintless »

Hi, rufwoof.

It is possible to boot with empty 01-filesystem.squashfs module having all files inside save file or save partition only with live-boot-2 and live-boot-3:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 639#771639
With live-boot-3 you can use persistence-read-only to mount the save file read-only. But you don't have option to save on Exit only or in the middle of a session like save2flash does.
Such system setup will not work with porteus-boot. 01-filesystem.squashfs has to contain some system files to be able to load /live/changes folder. I don't know what it needs to be included in 01-filesystem.squashfs to be able to load /live/changes on boot.

The problem with this setup is again dpkg database. You will have it in 01-filesystem.squashfs for the included there programs and inside save file for all installed programs (in 01-filesystem.squashfs + the programs inside save file). If you break dpkg inside the save file you will end up with very basic system without Xorg inside 01-filesystem.squashfs.
Or even with nothing using live-boot with empty 01-filesystem.sqquashfs.
You will have to backup the save file content often.

Edit: If you mean to move most files from 01-squashfs in /live/changes keeping /var/lib/dpkg content untouched inside 01-filesytem.squashfs it is possible but needs testing what could be removed. Again you will need backups because 01-filesystem.squashfs will have missing files.

Toni