Puli 32/64 bit

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gjuhasz

Re: powerapplet_tray merged with xbatalarm

#161 Post by gjuhasz »

gjuhasz wrote:For those cannot get powerapplet_tray working, I referenced it in xbatalarm.
The full version is uploaded with my other post, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&start=12
Hi,

There are updates for xbatalarm available (bugfixes, new features). See the referenced forum thread for details. Package updated at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=154, too

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

Netsurf 3.4

#162 Post by gjuhasz »

I compiled netsurf 3.4

Download link:

http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/netsurf-3.4.pet

Runs fine in Puli. Probably works with most of 32-bit puplets, too.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Attachments
Netsurf--3.4.jpg
(78.93 KiB) Downloaded 361 times

Sylvander

#163 Post by Sylvander »

PROBLEM
1. Used a 2nd Puppy to copy the Netsurf pet file into the Puli Packages folder, and added a "netsurf" entry in the .../profiles/Common/smartload file.
Then rebooted to Puli.

2. During the loadup...
I could see that netsurf was being loaded ok.
But then...

3. A warning was given in red that additional packages were failing to load.

4. Once into Puli there was no sign of Netsurf being available. :(

gjuhasz

Netsurf

#164 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:PROBLEM
1. Used a 2nd Puppy to copy the Netsurf pet file into the Puli Packages folder, and added a "netsurf" entry in the .../profiles/Common/smartload file.
Then rebooted to Puli.

2. During the loadup...
I could see that netsurf was being loaded ok.
But then...

3. A warning was given in red that additional packages were failing to load.

4. Once into Puli there was no sign of Netsurf being available. :(
Dear Sylvander,

If you "conventionally" install my netsurf-3.4.pet (by clicking the filename), it works.

However, you are right, smartloading the same netsurf-3.4.pet file fails.

So, I created another pet file in a different way then uploaded it to my storage.

http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/netsurf-3.4.pet

This version is OK for smartload, too. Tested in Puli.

Thanks for the notification and sorry for the inconvenience.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#165 Post by Sylvander »

OK...
The new pet file works OK. :D

roadster3043

Puli Smartload

#166 Post by roadster3043 »

Hi.

I've been testing Puli 6.0.4, but can't seem to load anything that I've placed in the smartload file and the packages directory.

Sometimes at boot it says omit even though I pressed a key to load it.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks.
--
Take care.

Juan

gjuhasz

Re: Puli Smartload

#167 Post by gjuhasz »

roadster3043 wrote:Hi.

I've been testing Puli 6.0.4, but can't seem to load anything that I've placed in the smartload file and the packages directory.

Sometimes at boot it says omit even though I pressed a key to load it.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks.
Dear roadster3043,

Please check whether you hit the key in time and this key correctly identifies the package(s) you want to smartload.
  • 1. Proper timing - To select a package set to be smartloaded, you need to hit a key within a specific timeslot in the boot process. It begins as soon as the purple "copying to ram" text appears and ends 5 seconds after Puli asks you for the selection.

2. Unique reference - For example, if you hit key "a", it is expected to have a smartload file named "smartloada" in the /profiles/Common folder of your boot pendrive. If you hit "x" while you don't have "smartloadx" there or if you hit the spacebar, then nothing will be smartloaded. If you don't hit any key or if you hit Enter, Puli seeks the default "smartload" file there.

In the case you use a laptop without a separate numeric keypad, some character keys can be interpreted as numbers at boot time. Also, if you have non-US keyboard, some keys are placed differently. (The default numlock and language settings can be controlled by the syslinux.cfg and the puli.cfg files).

The selected smartload file should list the requested packages, referencing them by the first few characters of their filename. Of course, if this type of reference is ambivalent, i.e., points to multiple packages, then only one of them will be smartloaded.

3. Existing packages - The packages, with file extensions .pet and/or .sfs and/or one (chrome) .deb, should be placed in the /packages folder of the boot pendrive. For smartload, I recommend to use the packages tested in Puli.
    Note that none of the smartloaded packages appear among the installed ones in the Puppy Package Manager.

FYI: You may include references to all your favorite packages in all your smartload files (for example, I do this) but in this case those need to be skipped in a particular smartload file should begin with "-" minus sign.
Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#168 Post by Sylvander »

Just wondering...

Would Puli counteract Ransomware?
Or does Ransomware only act against servers?

gjuhasz

Ransomware vs Puli

#169 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:Just wondering...
Would Puli counteract Ransomware?
Or does Ransomware only act against servers?
Dear Sylvander,

Ransomware can encrypt your files even in Linux environment. It can be activated if you open an attachment of an email. However, Puli can block ransomware if you are careful enough and avoid common traps:
  • First of all, do not use the Puli pendrive for other purposes, e.g., do not plug it into an infected machine - don't use it as temporary storage of Windows files.

Second, after you booted Puli, unplug the pendrive as soon as Puli recommends this (i.e., before the network connection is established). It is an advantage if you boot Puli from a USB device with write protection switch - a simple SD card is good for this purpose.

Third, use the safest (Lazy) security profile of Puli. While you are browsing using Chrome in the Lazy mode, the /bin folder is hidden thus the malicious code, such as ransomware, gets no resources to auto-install then infect. Note that this defense is active only while you are browsing in Lazy mode - so using a web based mail service is strongly recommended.
    (Actually, the above is true for Chrome browser only. I write this post in the next Puli version that allows Lazy mode also for Slimjet and Iron - I am thinking on Firefox yet.)
Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Sylvander

#170 Post by Sylvander »

Hello gjuhasz,

Thanks for your reply.
I...
Never use my Puli pendrive for other purposes.
Never knowingly plug it into any computer unless I believe that computer to be uninfected.
Never store Windows files on it.
Always remove the Puli pendrive when prompted.
So far I've not installed Puli to an SD memory card.
Just now switched my Puli to loading "force_lazy" in "/mnt/sdb1/profiles/Common/smartload".
I never fetch email in Puli.
When fetching my POP3 email in other Puppies, I first view the emails using "SaveMyModem" [smm], and delete any that I suspect may not be genuine/safe, and I seldom if ever open attachments.
So far I only use the natively included Chrome web-browser.

gjuhasz

Suspicious links

#171 Post by gjuhasz »

Sylvander wrote:... and delete any that I suspect may not be genuine/safe, and I seldom if ever open attachments.
I just received an email that looked like a training proposal from a famous company. Then I moved the cursor over a link and recognized that each of the six links point to the same URL.
See the attached screenshot.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Attachments
Malicious_email.jpg
This is a screenshot only - never click such links in emails...
(75.01 KiB) Downloaded 777 times

tirdoldog

Fool Puli 6.0.4 into "booting" from internal SD card reader

#172 Post by tirdoldog »

So I need to move my laptop around a lot and it seems wise to boot off the internal SD card reader before I trash the USB ports or worse. Unfortunately, the BIOS does not allow booting from the internal card reader. In researching this I have seen several reports of success with this issue & puppy, for example: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 19&t=68104 & http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77417.

Specifically for puli & this laptop, I am attempting to boot vmlinux & initrd.gz off the internal HD and then have it switch root and grab zdrv & puli sfs's off the SD card. This is similar in concept to using a boot floppy to boot to UBS or CD when the BIOS can't handle it. Puli has no problem using SD cards in the reader after booting is complete so I know all the modules needed are there, Turns out that all modules needed are built-in to the kernel except tifm_7xx1 so that means this approach cannot work without modifying initrd.gz. to provide the missing module. However I am going batty trying to get initrd.gz right. I get kernel panics due to sync failure because the module is not really loaded and the sfs's are not really read.

I use pfix=rdsh to drop into the shell and run commands manually to try and figure out where i am going wrong. probepart_init shows the SD card is not loaded and an ls of /lib/ shows the modules folder and subfolders are all missing even though initrd.gz can be shown to have them. So it seems like there is a problem with file system layering. More evidence pointing to this is when I use a usb drive for the sfs's (and HD for the kernel/root fs) puli boots but is crippled in that certain hardware like the touchpad do not work and /lib is missing folders and files related to kernel modules.

So I may have two separate problems: the separation of critical files on 2 devices and the mechanics of properly adding/modifying all required elements in initrd.gz. Does anyone have a solution to this issue? Can anyone point to a step by step example for moving one module into the initrd.gz that is relevant to puli's design?

(By the way I have made minor modifications to init that are specific to this laptop and puli's kernel and I have increased the sleep time for mmcblk device discovery as recommended by BK)

Edit-7/23/16: SUCCESS. For anyone researching a similar problem, I would like to report that I was able to boot puli 6.0.4 from the pci connected SD drive on this particular laptop. I am using it now to write this. After much troubleshooting, I found that (my) syntax errors were the source of all my woes (kernel panics). Along the way I also found that playing around with sleep commands (as recommended elsewhere) was unnecessary at least for this particular laptop. HOW TO:
1. place vmlinux & initrd.gz on the root directory of the hard drive.
2. place all other puli specific files on the SD card.
3. I use grub4dos as the boot loader. Use menu.lst to pass the location of the following files to the kernel like so: pupsfs=mmcblk0p1:/puppy_puli_6.0.4.sfs pdev=mmcblk0 zdrv=mmcblk0p1:/zdrv_puli_6.0.4.sfs
4. You will need to modify init within initrd.gz. Insert the following at line 193: insmod /lib/modules/TI/tifm_7xx1.ko #160605; tirdoldog (AJS) force loading for mmc discovery.
5. Copy tifm_7xx1.ko into the newly created TI directory located as indicated in initrd.gz.
That’s it. I have been testing/using for the last 6 weeks with no observed problems. IMPORTANT NOTE. Unless you have an HP compaq laptop made circa 2004-2006 with a TI internal card reader, this how to will likely not work for you. However, you can use it as a template to modify for your particular hardware. Hope you find this useful.
Last edited by tirdoldog on Sat 23 Jul 2016, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

gjuhasz

Re: Fool Puli 6.0.4 into "booting" from internal SD card reader

#173 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear tirdoldog,

I somehow missed your post, sorry for the late reply.
tirdoldog wrote:So I need to move my laptop around a lot and it seems wise to boot off the internal SD card reader before I trash the USB ports or worse.
If I understand well, you prefer the SD card because it is swallowed into its slot within the laptop case. A nice idea to prevent physical damages..
I will implement something to support this in the next version.
Until it is announced (soon), try to unplug the pendrive just after the boot process, then use the SD card as a storage. This way, neither the pendrive nor the USB slot are in danger while moving the laptop around.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Pelo

Puli ? why not ?

#174 Post by Pelo »

Puli ? why not ? i will download it to-day. It could change a little from standard puppies.
However when a Puppy protects you, often it is by putting you in jail. Jail is the safest place, you are protected by the sheriff.
Bad Mind, wait and see, i download it.
299MB.. Hungarian Puppy ? oh, that is a quality label :wink: I know that i will get support not only here, but in Facebook too and in the specific hungarian puppy forum.
Nota Bene : i read none of the fifteen english pages, we shall see.
Attachments
puli.jpg
If headhaches, i abandone
(68.62 KiB) Downloaded 483 times

Pelo

What is the password ?

#175 Post by Pelo »

All started well from my pendrive, untill i was asked .. a password..
My computer is used only by me ! For amusement only..
What is the password ? English needed to get it, i must translate the topic..
"a. When asked, log in as root.
b. Type root as password. Later you can change the password and save it for next logins."
:x ok
Le mot de passe est root, changez-le ensuite.

Pelo

i need a browser, Seamonkey loaded on the fly.

#176 Post by Pelo »

i need a browser, Seamonkey loaded on the fly.
Links is as browser that will frigthen all invaders , links is for the maintainers, the overhaul department, if your puli cannot run better browser. Version 6.0.4 with links, what a mistery ?

gjuhasz

Re: i need a browser, Seamonkey loaded on the fly.

#177 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:if your puli cannot run better browser. Version 6.0.4 with links, what a mistery ?
Dear Pelo,

Thanks for playing with Puli.

You can download Puli-compatible Chrome, Firefox and Opera packages from http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/

FYI: I will upload Puli 6.0.5 with many unique features in a couple of days. Tested with Chrome (up to v48.0.2564.103), Iron, Slimjet, Firefox and Opera.
Detailed description of the new version is available at http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/readme.html

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

Puli 6.0.5 rc uploaded

#178 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Puli users,

You can download and try Puli 6.0.5 from http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/Puli-6.0.5_Jul2016/ link.

Detailed description of the new version is available at http://www.smokey01.com/gjuhasz/readme.html

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Last edited by gjuhasz on Fri 22 Jul 2016, 21:36, edited 2 times in total.

gjuhasz

Puli 6.0.5 uploaded

#179 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Puli users,

Version 6.0.5 has been tested successfully. So, I removed "rc" from the name of the above download folder. However, this is still a release candidate.

Announcement is expected in a couple of days, as soon as I finish the Hungarian add-ons. I plan to change the name of the final version to Puli 6.1.0 due to the number of new features.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Last edited by gjuhasz on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 14:16, edited 3 times in total.

tirdoldog

Chrome Issue

#180 Post by tirdoldog »

@gjuhasz: I really like puli. I have used fatdog in multi-session mode and puli seems like a more advantageous implementation of multisession concept in that its more customizable and easier to move/delete session stores. Nice job!

Regarding chrome, every version up to and including 34-0-1847-116_i386 works perfectly on my laptop but all newer versions won't run. Because this version is 2+ years old I have opted for FF plus noscript which is working fine for me both as spot and root. I am not sure why newer chrome does not run but it is maybe either a memory problem (only have 750MB; also getting messages about segmentation errors if I recall correctly) or perhaps the requirements for newer chip extensions (for example I know pentium III is no longer supported in the newer chrome versions).

The point being in looking at your security profile scripts, they seem to be targeted at google chrome only in that I see no other browser mentioned therein. Am I correct? What limitations/restrictions are their regarding browser/security profile combinations?