Which puppy is the fastest for old cpu's i.e. pentiium 4 ...

Booting, installing, newbie
olewilly

Which puppy is the fastest for old cpu's i.e. pentiium 4 ...

#1 Post by olewilly »

Hi

I am running tahrpup 6 on a dell dimension 8300 but I think it,s a bit slow. What kind of puppy is best for this ancient pc?

OW
Last edited by olewilly on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
Success is not more !
Success is better !

ally

#2 Post by ally »

slacko (5.3.3) always worked nice on my old P4's

:)

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, olewilly.

Hm. We-e-ell; I have an ancient Inspiron 1100 lappie.....circa 2002. Started life with a 2.2 GHz Celeron, 128 MB RAM, and a 20 GB HDD.

Now sports a gen-u-ine Pentium IV @ 2.6 GHz, 1 GB RAM.....and a 32 GB Transcend PATA solid state drive. (Which makes a huge difference). Anyway.....

I started with Tahrpup, year before last. Runs well (yes, a bit slow.....but you gotta expect that from such ancient hardware; it's the architecture, actually, that makes it slow.....not the age of the components).

I've used ETP's 'Chromebook' Pup......Precise 5.7.1 + Openbox.
I've used Slacko 570.
I'm currently using rg66's X-Slacko 2.3.2 (which is 570 + the XFCE desktop.....my favourite.)

Anything running a P IV is showing its age by now, as Intel turned away from the ultra-fast single-core idea with the Pentiums, and embraced the 'Core' architecture; multiple, slower-running cores, utilizing far more advanced instruction sets on smaller & ever smaller manufacturing processes.

If you're running a Pup (any Pup), then IMHO you are already running the best possible OS for such elderly hardware. You can in all likelihood find a more lightweight Pup than you're already using; it may run a bit faster. But it's limited by that ol' P IV.

My advice to people with such old hardware (like myself)? Yes, run Puppy; that alone will speed things up. But you'll never make an old mongrel run like a greyhound, no matter what you do. Learn to accept your hardware's shortcomings.....and optimize it to within an inch of its life, so it will run better than it's ever run before!

(And you will never find any other Intel chip that can repeatedly over-heat the way a P IV will.....and keep on going!)

Hope that helps.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 22:12, edited 5 times in total.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Willy, hands-down 528's the snappiest on my old P4 Inspiron.

The latest Tahr and Slacko builds are total dogs for me.

Slacko 5.7's fair.. And Precise, satisfactory.

==

Question here >> What kind of Internet connection have you got?

Are you wired or wireless?

If wired, I've got another suggestion, one I think you'd like to hear about. :wink:

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

No such product.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... ron_laptop

And I like Lucid 528 as well.

Chris.

s243a

#6 Post by s243a »

Id give Racy a try. I'm not sure how fast it is for old hardware but it is blazing fast on a virtual machine.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

I think it,s a bit slow
In what way does it feel slow?
You do what?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

cimarron

#8 Post by cimarron »

Probably a Dell Dimension 8300. I have an Inspiron 1100 with P4 2.8GHz processor and just 500M RAM and Precise Puppy runs very well on it (Tahr lags a bit). I like vicmz's Woof-CE build with Openbox and LXPanel: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94954

Lucid puppy would probably run fast as well, but Precise is a little more up-to-date and should run well also.

musher0

Re: Which puppy is the fastest for old cpu's i.e. pentiium 4 ...

#9 Post by musher0 »

olewilly wrote:Hi

I am running tahrpup 6 on a dell inspiiron 8300 but I think it,s a bit slow. What kind of puppy is best for this ancient pc?

OW
Hello olewilly.

You may wish to try this one.

Its main download site is under reconstruction at the moment, but you can get
"Dpup 487" from tubeguy or ally (the Internet Archive). Just go down in the thread
a bit and you'll find the links.

Although based on kernel 2.30.5 (very efficient for boxes 5 year old and older),
dpup 487 has the C library version 2.20, which is a version a couple of numbers
ahead of the C library version used in most recent Puppies.

In layman's terms, this combination means that the user can run without worry very
recent apps on a Puppy designed for older hardware.

I strongly recommend dpup 487 by dejan555 for your situation.

I hope this helps. Bye for now.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

cimarron wrote:Probably a Dell Dimension 8300. I have an Inspiron 1100 with P4 2.8GHz processor and just 500M RAM and Precise Puppy runs very well on it (Tahr lags a bit). I like vicmz's Woof-CE build with Openbox and LXPanel: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94954

Lucid puppy would probably run fast as well, but Precise is a little more up-to-date and should run well also.
Hey, cimarron.

Yes, I forgot that one. ETP's 'ChromeBook' Pup (v.1).....which is based on the very same Precise build you've just mentioned. I've had that one running from a USB stick on the Inspiron before now; lovely Pup. A joy to use, especially after upgrading Chrome.

Mike. :wink:

olewilly

#11 Post by olewilly »

Hi

Thank You all for the hints. I have switched to slacko 6.3. And I feel that it is a bit snappier than tahrpup, especially when I look streaming tv.

OW
Success is not more !
Success is better !

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

You're welcome! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)