Remastering; how do I enlarge image.gz file system?

Booting, installing, newbie
kirk

Remastering; how do I enlarge image.gz file system?

#1 Post by kirk »

I'm using the "Remaster Puppy live-CD" option and selecting "yes" the question about changing image.gz. After adding some files to the root0 folder I get an error message saying the device is out of memory. Is there a way to resize the image.gz file system that gets mounted on /mnt/image? I've tried changing the value stored in /etc/ramdisksize to 20000, but that did'nt help. The total size of the root0 file I'm trying to use is 6215k.

Thanks for any help,
kirk

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Let me get my mind into gear...

You're using Unleashed?

If you look through the createpuppy script, you will see where it reads the size for initial ramdisk "image" which becomes image.gz.
It is currently 12288K.

I am on a different pc right now, so can't look at the script, but if you look down you should see where the image is created.
I think I may have used "dd" program to create a file called "image" of a certain size -- look at that size variable, then go up the script to find where it is initially set.
I think it gets set from /etc/ramdiskfssize, so you change that. and change /etc/ramdisksize to match.
BUT you then need a "ramdisk_size=" parameter in isolinux.cfg as the kernel default is set to 12288K.

I'm surprised you have this problem, as for Pup 1.0.4 I increased the kernel ramdisk from 11264K to 12288K, a whole extra megabyte.

kirk

#3 Post by kirk »

Thanks Barry, I'll give that a try.

#4 Post by Guest »

I've tried the unleash script...but due to reasons I can't fully explain, and since others have had no probs using it, I tend to remaster my the manual method, seems to work great and gives me a finer grain control......usually I start off with a 16MB ramdisk image...but that's just me

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote: I'm surprised you have this problem, as for Pup 1.0.4 I increased the kernel ramdisk from 11264K to 12288K, a whole extra megabyte.
Bladehunter, and others,
Some people ran into trouble using the "creatpuppy" script in Unleashed because the image.gz file got full, but the change made for 1.0.4, increasing it by 1M, should have fixed that problem.