First Puppy Install Successful!

Booting, installing, newbie
edoc

First Puppy Install Successful!

#1 Post by edoc »

Been haunting the list for a few days but just now got around to loading up Puppy on a IBM 600X laptop. Smooooth!

600X Projects:

1. Am using a Xircom wired nic, want to get the Buffalo G54 wireless working.
2. Haven't tried sound yet, nothing heard during boot.
3. Haven't tried video yet.
4. Haven't tried streaming audio yet.

Next Project:

Puppy w/Java & Thingamablog on a 1G USB stick. Suggestions as to which version of Puppy welcomed!

I have been using Suse 9.2 but from what I see of Puppy I am not sure what Suse gets me that Puppy does not! Great distro guys (& gals?)!

doc

Bancobusto

#2 Post by Bancobusto »

Hi!

I would suggest using the most current version of Puppy - right now, that would be version 1.04. Just because, generally speaking, the bugs and annoyances get less and less the higher the version number (unless we're talking about distro's that inflate their version numbers, like SUSE or Mandrake) :)
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... ozilla.iso

Another alternative is the xfree86 version (by bladehunter) - that seems quite stable as well. http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/cd-pupp ... theros.iso

But really, you could use whichever version you like.

Good luck with it all :D

Rich

#3 Post by Rich »

I agree that any version would do, but later versions are more stable AND there are more people on the forum who could help out with any problems or questions you may have.

I'd stay clear of 1.0.3 as it had kernel issues. 1.0.4 is the current one and should provide everything you need !

Bancobusto

#4 Post by Bancobusto »

I thought it was version 1.02 that had the issues (2.6kernel, yes?)

Anyhow, guess it doesn't matter - you're right, more support for the latest realease usually, good point.
:D

Rich

#5 Post by Rich »

Bancobusto wrote:I thought it was version 1.02 that had the issues (2.6kernel, yes?)

Thanks.......even I get confused sometimes !
( I'll get it right one day...........promise) 8)

edoc

#6 Post by edoc »

Bancobusto wrote:Hi!

I would suggest using the most current version of Puppy - right now, that would be version 1.04.

Another alternative is the xfree86 version (by bladehunter) - that seems quite stable as well. http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/cd-pupp ... theros.iso

Good luck with it all :D
Thanks! I did load the 1.0.4 version and it looks good so far.

I am now going to see about stuffing it on my 1G USB and then try to load Java and Thingamablog ... am trying to figure out the dotpup thing via another thread.
I am guessing that I need to create a dotpup for thingamablog if I want it to install properly, true?

Thanks! doc

Rich

#7 Post by Rich »

not really.....
the dotpup is one way of installing software, but not the only way.
It is a way of making the package available to the Puppy users with auto install simplicity.

If the software works on puppy you can just do a manual install from the tarball.
i.e. unzip the files into the appropriate directories. I've installed Gimp and other stuff like this. All a DotPup is is the tarball with a script to verify, extract and install the files. Smarter ones also edit the start menu to add the package too.

Rich

Bancobusto

#8 Post by Bancobusto »

Yes, unless you wish to compile it on Puppy itself
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/news.htm Look at July 29th news....

But creating a dot-pup would be awesome, and i bet that you'll get the help you need in the other thread...

I know I'll be watching that one carefully, because I would like to learn how to create a dot-pup myself...

EDIT; beat me to the post.... damn these stumbling, inaccurate fingers! Damn them!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

1.0.2 used the 2.6 kernel - it's problem was writing to NTFS (which it did not do)
- I found it stable and faster BUT others did not like a flaky puppy

there are 3 versions of 1.0.4

Barebones - 39 meg - only dillo browser - for older slower connections and hardware - first thing I do is get a 'real' (modern) or complet browser

Chubby Puppy - forget size of that under 100meg but includes Open Office
(which you can download as a pupget if you require) - I use this

Puppy 1.0.4 standard - uses Gnumeric instead of above and abiword - smaller

They are all solid, stable and very every day usable

Hope that helps :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Lobster wrote:Puppy 1.0.4 standard - uses Gnumeric instead of above and abiword - smaller
Lobster, I'm using 1.0.4 and it shows the icon for Abiword on the desktop. I haven't actually used it for anything, but Abiword opens when I click on the icon.

Rich

#11 Post by Rich »

Bancobusto wrote:
I know I'll be watching that one carefully, because I would like to learn how to create a dot-pup myself...

You not read this page in the Wiki yet??

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/DotPupHowToMake

Bancobusto

#12 Post by Bancobusto »

I actually had just found that one yesterday shortly after making that post...

I believe that I had come across it before, when I first got turned onto Puppy, but never bothered to scroll down far enough to see it again :wink:

The Wiki truly is a great source of info. And that how-to is extremely well done, I might add.

Cheers :D