OPL3SA2 soundcard module on an old Toshiba laptop -WORKS!

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
cookevillain

OPL3SA2 soundcard module on an old Toshiba laptop -WORKS!

#1 Post by cookevillain »

Hi everyone,

I have just installed Puppy 2.12 on my Toshiba Satellite 2530CDS laptop and everything went impressively smooth. I got the most important part to work (the wireless card WN825GP, in case anyone is interested, with ndiswrapper) but there are two flies in this otherwise impeccable ointment:

1. the sound does not work
2. the irda does not work

I got both of those things to work before under ubuntu but had to switch to (oh, horror!) XP because of problems with the wireless and ubuntu being impossibly slow. The new ndiswrapper solved the wireless problems and Puppy sped things up a lot. But ...

One of the reasons I cannot get these cards to work is I cannot find opl3sa2 and daunoboe modules. I would really like to avoid building a new kernel for the laptop (takes forever and I would have to get gcc installed on it). Is there a more complete version of the 2.6 kernel for Puppy available somewhere? Thanks in advance.

Alex
Last edited by cookevillain on Tue 09 Jan 2007, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

Re: OPL3SA2 soundcard module problems on an old Toshiba lapt

#2 Post by WhoDo »

cookevillain wrote:One of the reasons I cannot get these cards to work is I cannot find opl3sa2 and daunoboe modules. I would really like to avoid building a new kernel for the laptop (takes forever and I would have to get gcc installed on it). Is there a more complete version of the 2.6 kernel for Puppy available somewhere? Thanks in advance.
Are you using the zdrv version of 2.12? If not, perhaps it would solve your problems. The zdrv_212.sfs file is available as a separate download if required.

If you are using the zdrv version, are you sure the zdrv_212.sfs mounted? If not, search the forum for MU's solution to mount the file as a loop file system and copy the contents elsewhere.

Hope that helps.

marksouth2000

#3 Post by marksouth2000 »

I am running Puppy 2.12, the zdrv version, on an old Toshiba laptop with the same soundcard, using the opl3sa2 module. (Satellite 4010CDT.)

Sound is not automatically configured because this is not a PCI sound card, it's ISA.

All I did to get the sound working was to run the ALSA wizard, which scans through the PCI cards, fails, and then asks if one wants it to scan for ISA cards. I just said yes and accepted the defaults.

Cheers,
Mark

cookevillain

#4 Post by cookevillain »

Thanks so much, guys! Everything worked great! The only piece of hardware I have not figured out how to bring up is irda (I have an irda pronter and a lot of my robots are programmed via an irda interface). I know the kernel sees the hardware (it automatically loaded daunoboe and reports the correct chip) but how do I get the interface up? I remember in the old day I had to set up an alias for irda0, etc. Can Pupy work its magic here, as well? In any case, thanks a lot for the tip!

Alex

marksouth2000

#5 Post by marksouth2000 »

On my machine irda0 was set up automatically, and blinky even started showing traffic on it.

cookevillain

#6 Post by cookevillain »

Hmm, still no success with irda. Could you post (or maybe pm me) the contents of modprobe.conf so I could tell what is missing from my setup. When I run `grep -r irda /etc' I get nothing so it is not aware of this interface. Could you send me the output of this command on your machine? I know it worked before (I ran linux on it for a while before I got wireless) so it *should* be a matter of the right setup. I had to tweak the autodetected alsa setup as well to get it to come up on every reboot (even though it did save the settings in modprobe.conf) so it does not surprise me that irda is not working `out of the box'. One last question: when you click on `connect' icon does it show irda0 as one of the interfaces or am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks in advance.

I will probably start a new thread after this since the audio problem has been solved, thanks to you, guys. Thanks again.

Alex

tombh

#7 Post by tombh »

Hello cookevillain,

I just noticed that you had exactly the same sound card problem as me -- namely opl3sa2 detected by ALSA, BUT settings not properly saved such that sound will load at each boot. Yes some new lines are added to modprobe.conf but to no real avail, although interestingly now all I need do is run ALSA to the first 'close your other sound programs' and sound's up and running. You mention something about 'tweaking the ALSA automatic detect setup', could you explain what you did -- for a Puppy newbie?

Many thanks,
tom

cookevillain

#8 Post by cookevillain »

Hi Tom!

I just pm'd my reply to you. I forgot to mention that I also posted a detailed description of everything I had to tweak in the HOWTO section of the forum (that includes not only sound but irda, wireless and printing).

What I did was change isapnp=0 to isapnp=1 in modprobe.conf. See pm for a different (crude) fix. Let me know if this helps.

Alex