Keep Puppy 2.0 Settings While Trying Puppy 2.13

Using applications, configuring, problems
pixturesk

Keep Puppy 2.0 Settings While Trying Puppy 2.13

#1 Post by pixturesk »

I would like to try Puppy 2.13 live cd, am currently in a comfort zone with Puppy 2.0. Is there any way of trying 2.13 utilizing the save settings from 2.0, including continuing to use Opera rather than Seamonkey? I am not of the computer generation so experimenting, from scratch, with re-configuring a significant new update is too challenging for me. Please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks.

WhoDo

Re: Keep Puppy 2.0 Settings While Trying Puppy 2.13

#2 Post by WhoDo »

pixturesk wrote:I would like to try Puppy 2.13 live cd, am currently in a comfort zone with Puppy 2.0. Is there any way of trying 2.13 utilizing the save settings from 2.0, including continuing to use Opera rather than Seamonkey? I am not of the computer generation so experimenting, from scratch, with re-configuring a significant new update is too challenging for me. Please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks.
Yes, you can use your current settings. First things first, though: How is your Puppy 2.0 installed? Is it a frugal install using a pup_save file, a frugal install using the Puppy partition for saved settings or a full hard drive install, no pup_save file.

The answers to these questions are central to instructions for how to safely retain your settings while trying the updated version.

Cheers

pixturesk

#3 Post by pixturesk »

Thanks WhoDo. I am just using the Puppy 2.0 live cd, so the save settings are on the pup save.3fs and the Pup 200.sfs files on my "C" drive. I have this live cd configuration just the way I want it, so if I can't save it, I am quite happy to continue using 2.0

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

pixturesk wrote:Thanks WhoDo. I am just using the Puppy 2.0 live cd, so the save settings are on the pup save.3fs and the Pup 200.sfs files on my "C" drive. I have this live cd configuration just the way I want it, so if I can't save it, I am quite happy to continue using 2.0
When you burn the new 2.13 LiveCD, make sure you create it as multi-session, same as your current LiveCD. Then you can copy the pup_save.3fs file to the new CD and Puppy will pick it up and modify it for your new OS automatically. Then save your new, modified settings to the new LiveCD. You don't need to copy the pup_200.sfs as it contains no personal settings.

That should give you an untouched Puppy 2.0 LiveCD with all your settings as they are, and a new Puppy 2.13 LiveCD with your settings transferred and modified for the new OS. Then you can boot either as it suits you.

Hope that helps.

pixturesk

#5 Post by pixturesk »

Thanks WhoDo. I will print out your excellent reply, give it a try. Thanks again.

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

pixturesk wrote:Thanks WhoDo. I am just using the Puppy 2.0 live cd, so the save settings are on the pup save.3fs and the Pup 200.sfs files on my "C" drive. I have this live cd configuration just the way I want it, so if I can't save it, I am quite happy to continue using 2.0
Hmmm... I may have misread your reply. Did you say your "pup_save.3fs and the pup_200.sfs files" are on your "C" drive or your "CD" drive? :?:

The instructions I gave were if those files were on your CD drive. If they are on your C drive you need to copy the pup_save.3fs somewhere else as pup_save_bak.3fs so you will have a clean and unmodified copy for later.

Hope that helps.

pixturesk

#7 Post by pixturesk »

Please forgive me WhoDo for not getting back to you right away, I wasn't expecting another reply.There has been some confusion. I save those 2 files on my "C: drive on my computer, not on a single cd. Can I not burn the pup_save.3fs file as well as the Pup 200.sfs file (which as I got from your forum saves the boot up settings, allowing Puppy to load much quicker, not even, for me, 30 sec.), "asis" without renaming, as my clean copy for later?

So, if I am getting this right, what you are saying is that I have to burn the Puppy 2.13 iso to a separate cd, then try it on its own, have to re-configure everything, but at least I am saving my Puppy 2.0 configuration?

Just to be clear, remember I am not of the computer generation, I want to combine my current Puppy 2.0 settings with the new 2.13 iso to form one composite new 2.13, thus perhaps allowing me to use both Opera + Seamonkey. If I have to use Seamonkey only, then I will just stick with 2.0 which I am quite happy with. Thanks.

WhoDo

#8 Post by WhoDo »

pixturesk wrote:So, if I am getting this right, what you are saying is that I have to burn the Puppy 2.13 iso to a separate cd, then try it on its own, have to re-configure everything, but at least I am saving my Puppy 2.0 configuration?
Ok, now I have a clearer view of what you have here are your instructions:

1. Burn a new multi-session LiveCD of Puppy 2.13 - multi-session will allow you to save your settings on the CD instead of the hard drive and when you boot from CD Puppy finds the pup_save.2fs file there first! Do NOT boot from the new CD until you have completed step 4 below!

2. Make a backup of your pup_save.3fs on the C: drive and place it in another directory lower down the tree.

3. Rename your pup_save.3fs to pup_save.2fs - this will still work with your Puppy 2.00 LiveCD.

4. Burn your copy of pup_save.2fs, complete with Opera and other personal settings, from your C: drive to the new Puppy 2.13 LiveCD - it's multi-session so it will add it to the CD, not overwrite your Puppy 2.13.

5. Delete the pup_200.sfs from the hard drive - it may confuse Puppy when trying to boot. There is a pup_200.sfs on your Puppy 2.00 CD anyway and pup_200.sfs doesn't keep any personal settings.

Now, when you boot with Puppy 2.13, it will first find the pup_save.2fs file on the LiveCD - that's how Barry has programmed the search script. It will then upgrade your settings for Puppy 2.13 but retain your Opera and other personal configurations. When you shut down be sure to save the new settings to the LiveCD. You will have a new Puppy 2.13 with all your old configurations intact.

OTOH, when you boot with Puppy 2.00, it will just find the pup_save.2fs on the C: drive - because you have no pup_save file on the CD. Your file will remain as is and not be upgraded by Puppy 2.13 - in case it doesn't you still have your backup copy for protection.

Hope that helps

pixturesk

#9 Post by pixturesk »

Thanks again WhoDo. I will try to follow your instructions very slowly (I assume you want me to use a CD-RW). But I think I will just back up my current Puppy 2.0 files on my "C" drive by just burning them onto another blank cd. Then if everything messes up for whatever reason, I can just copy back these two Puppy 2.0 files to my "C" drive, carry on again with Puppy 2.0.

WhoDo

#10 Post by WhoDo »

pixturesk wrote:Thanks again WhoDo. I will try to follow your instructions very slowly (I assume you want me to use a CD-RW).
No, you don't need a CD-RW. An ordinary CD-R will do, and is less likely to be a problem. Some CD-RW disks have proven unreliable in this context.

Backing up your current pup_save.2fs is the most important, but if you are more comfortable backing up the others, by all means do so.

Cheers