PeasyScan Image Scanner Program

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
rcrsn51

#81 Post by rcrsn51 »

starhawk: How to Install Brother Printers and Scanners has a section for network scanning setup.

Do you have it working as a local USB scanner?

starhawk

#82 Post by starhawk »

I do not have it hooked up via USB. As that would involve carrying it across the room after making a place for it, I'd like to avoid that...

I do recall the scanner setup bit. I did that, IIRC -- downloaded and installed debbi, installed the requisite *.deb file (brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb) -- which IIRC did not produce any errors at all -- and then did the brscan4 setup bit so that it would do something with SANE that I didn't really understand but sounded important. I don't recall there being further steps to that, but if I missed something I'll be glad to be corrected.

Of note, I will be offline shortly tonight and tomorrow is quite busy, I will not be in the house for most of it -- perhaps a 48hr delay before deleting posts would be better than a 24hr delay? Just sayin'.

rcrsn51

#83 Post by rcrsn51 »

starhawk wrote:I do not have it hooked up via USB. As that would involve carrying it across the room after making a place for it, I'd like to avoid that...
You cannot troubleshoot a network connection until you have confirmed a USB connection.

starhawk

#84 Post by starhawk »

I am confused.

I can print from it over a network. I have done that. There is no 'network' problem here.

I simply want to add scanning capability to what I can already do with it.

starhawk

#85 Post by starhawk »

Apparently PeasyScan couldn't find the scanner because something got screwed up. I remember having to do a hard shutdown a few days ago, maybe it got nixed then.

Anyhow, I reinstalled the brscan4 DEB using Debbi, reentered the config information, and tried PeasyScan again.

Got further this time. It detected that there was a scanner, but upon attempting to start the scanner, it sat there for awhile before putting out the following error:

Code: Select all

Failed to open device 'brother4:net1;dev0': Invalid argument.
The only button I could click was 'OK' so that's what I used. It does this consistently.

Maybe I need to start the scan on the printer side of things? Dunno, this is my first Brother and my first network printer. I've plenty of experience with HPs and Canons... but they throw an error when you try to scan printer-side. At least, when connected via USB... usually something about "if you're not using our Windows software packages, you shouldn't use this button" -- to which I inevitably make the customary rude gesture ;)

starhawk

#86 Post by starhawk »

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaand now I know what caused that improper shutdown :(

Installing the brscan4 package does something pretty nasty to my system. Not sure what, but upon attempted shutdown, the monitor cuts out (turns off) and no keyboard input will restore it... it never quite gets to saving the session. This is on Carolina Vanguard ver.2...

Oh well.

At least I have my Epson DocuMate 410 still :( it'll do I guess. I don't want to risk any more hard shutdowns trying to troubleshoot this...

rcrsn51

#87 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you go to the last page of How to Install Brother Printers and Scanners, you will see two users who successfully installed network scanning using brsaneconfig4. There is nothing in the package that would cause shutdown problems.

starhawk

#88 Post by starhawk »

Well, all I know is, I install brsane4, config it, and have shutdown issues. Maybe it's missing something and not telling me...

...although, this second time, it also messed up some extensions in Chromium. pdf.js wouldn't load PDFs, and Classic New Tab Page was giving me a blank white page...

I dunno. Hard to believe when that's the only thing I changed in the filesystem at all -- but I suppose anything's possible.

rcrsn51

#89 Post by rcrsn51 »

Deleted.

rcrsn51

#90 Post by rcrsn51 »

Peasyscan updated to v2.8. See the main post.

rcrsn51

#91 Post by rcrsn51 »

Pic2txt v1.3 is posted on the main page. See the Update note.

-----------------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 12 Apr 2016, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#92 Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote:For the benefit of other readers, let me clarify some things.

1. Setting a static IP address for the printer is a ONE-TIME procedure done from a single Windows machine. The printer remembers its permanent address. You don't need to change the printer setups on the individual Windows machines - they appear to use the device's MAC address instead of the IP address.

With Epson, this involves downloading and running their separate network config utility.
Can I also suggest another alternative - If your printer is not currently set to "static IP" and is set instead to "Auto DHCP" it will get its IP address from your router and this address will be whatever the router decides to hand out on the day, depending on what other devices such as laptops and phones happen to come on line periodically. This can be a source of confusion for computers looking for a printer on a specific address.

In such cases you can tell the router to assign the same IP address to the printer each time.

This could alleviate the need to use an external utility such as the Epson one mentioned.

The way to do this is to get access to the address allocation tables in the router and highlight the printer as requiring a constant address. (your isp or google will help you get this done). Some people may find this easier than trying to change the setting in the printer.

step

#93 Post by step »

Hi, I need to report a very minor issue with the latest peasyscan bundle in Fatdog64-702: the preview window unit label should be "mm" instead of "cm". Equivalently, the slider units should be divided by 10, i.e. decimal numbers instead of integers.
Version

peasyscan-2.5-noarch-1 [inst=yes]: peasyscan 2.5 (Simple Scanner GUI)  
xscanimage-peasy-2015.05-x86_64-1 [inst=yes]: xscanimage-peasy 2015.05 (xscanimage for peasyscan)  
Cheers!
Attachments
xscreenshot00000.png
(50.03 KiB) Downloaded 894 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

rcrsn51

#94 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyScan v2.9 is posted on the main page. See the Update note.

To translators: there is a new .pot file posted here. It is a complete rebuild.

rcrsn51

#95 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is a 64bit build of PeasyScan v2.9. It should work with most 64bit Puppies and their derivatives.
Attachments
peasyscan_tahr64-2.9.pet
(49.43 KiB) Downloaded 492 times

charlie6

#96 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Bill,

I really find this Peasyscan awesome ! Again lot of thanks for it !
especially the "Auto" + combine pdf features.

Just that the scanimage's Gray mode option produces
- poor contrasted black and white images
- rather huge images (ca 540K for 75 dpi resolution gray A4 sized images);
This latest point could be a "nice to have" option of peasyscan when scanning to pdf files: add the command line under 2. below, inside the peasyscan script :?

I got a try digging into peasyscans codes, and also the possibility to apply a config.cfg file, ans found the following:

1. config.cfg file to get a better black and white contrast (scanner = Canon Pixma MP160), to be placed in /usr/local/peasyscan/config/

<uri>pixma:04A91714_F30F67</uri>
<source>Flatbed</source>
<mode>Gray</mode>
<resolution>75</resolutions
<paper>A4</paper>
<other>--custom-gamma=yes --gamma-table `gamma4scanimage 0.1 0 3000 4095 4095`</other>
NB:
- the 3000 value is a first trial value; it still might need to be somewhat optimized;
- the 4095 value is the gamma4scanimage (*) gamma table size range;
--------------------
(*)http://www.pkill.info/linux/man/1-gamma4scanimage/

running the following reports an error message giving the max range or size "maxin" of the gamma table:

sh-3.00scanimage --mode Gray --custom-gamma=yes --gamma-table [0]0-[99999]255  >image.pnm
scanimage: option --gamma-table: index 99999 out of range [0..4095]
[0..4095] means: 4095 = max gamma table size = "maxin"

--------------------

2. To reduce the size of pdf files without noticeable degradation, I use to run the following command line (up to 1/10th reduction, which allows to spare memory and/or bandwidth):

sh-3.00# gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=/mydir/output.pdf input.pdf 
Best regards
HTH
Charlie

moi_classic2007

#97 Post by moi_classic2007 »

Anyone please help me! I coudn't make my scaner HP AIO Deskjet 6525 work in PuppyTahr 6.0.5
Last attempt gave this result:
"Error during device I/O"

This is my configuration file:
<uri>hpaio:/net/deskjet_6520_series?ip=192.168.1.108:9100</uri>
<source>Flatbed</source>
<mode>Gray</mode>
<resolution>75</resolutions
<paper>A4</paper>
<other></other>

rcrsn51

#98 Post by rcrsn51 »

moi_classic2007 wrote:<uri>hpaio:/net/deskjet_6520_series?ip=192.168.1.108:9100</uri>
Get rid of the ":9100". That port is only used for setting up the printer.

Argolance

#99 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Having this issue using the 2.7 release, I downloaded/installed the 2.12 but got the same error message:

# peasyscan
sh: line 1: 16147 Segmentation fault      $PEASYPATH/xscanimage-peasy "$URI"
pnmtopng: Error reading magic number from Netpbm image stream.  Most often, this means your input file is empty.
Cordialement.

rcrsn51

#100 Post by rcrsn51 »

Details please. Which Puppy? Which scanner model? Which driver?