Poll of multi-session puppy users

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
mikeb

#21 Post by mikeb »

ok......will be later today (saturday) hopefully..
Ok best laid plans of mice and men went astray
While remastering is not the issue in this current thread, I wonder if some of these remastering problems are interwoven with or similar to writing usable multisession disks
hmm...this occured to me also.
The only test I did was with an old copy of 1.09 which behaved perfectly on the same machine so was unable to try the hack.
The disk with which I have noticed the not saving problem was remasterd by hacking the pup_xxx.sfs file to bring the size down so obviously I couldn't test the original(2.2 regression).....no changes in etc or root though...further versions were remastered using the built in script...burned at 4x with nero 6.6 gave reliable results for booting and running.

So apologies for the delay but the subject is not forgotten...I haven't even been near the forum since my last post...lost presumed drunk

regards

mike

mikeb

#22 Post by mikeb »

Would you mind trying this command line method to add a session, to see if it does the same thing as adding a session with Nero?
Ok finally some results.

I am using a multisession cd not dvd....so I attempted to use the cd parameters for growiosfs...no sucess as the disk is not recognised as writable...ie cdrecord fails to find a sector to write to.

Now this is definately a hardware issue as I tried various puppys...version 1 and 2 and writing the first save worked every time on another machine with a GCE-8160 drive and failed every time on the machine with the Aopen drive.

Now I was never convinced about the quality of the aopen drive as it was inconsistant burning certain formats using nero ,they do not make cd drives any more I believe(!!) and I read bad reports on the web so it would appear if anyone is using a drive with the same innards for example will probably have the same problem.

The dummy track workaround has to be done on a different machine either by burner software or command line as the drive itself seems to decide that the disk is not multisession.

Incidentally results where the same for both cdr and cdrw, and ejecting and reinserting the cd made no difference.

Conclusion...be choosy about hardware

mike

paulsiu

NEC 3550A does not work

#23 Post by paulsiu »

I tried the multisession CD and DVD on several computers. I notice that while the disc seems to work for a lot of the comptuers, it did not work with the Nec 3550A. Not sure why.

JohnMc

#24 Post by JohnMc »

Multisession works fine! on DVD.

Problematic:

Asus Spresso 1112
HP USB CD RW external (sorry no model numbers on the case)
Puppy 2.10
burned with TK-cd/dvd (uses burn2iso as backend?) and was using a RW disk.

With a CD the system worked but would at times not seem to pull THE latest session but the one previous. Intermittent problem.

Now:

Asus Spresso 1112
Memorex DVD RW (mfr: 32023292) 16x4x16 internal
Puppy 2.10
burned with TK-cd/dvd (uses burn2iso as backend?) and was using a single layer DVD disk.

With the DVD session support is flawless. Response time is good.

puppyluvr

#25 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello :D

@ Equipment: Compaq P3 600 "coppermine" 256cache, 382mb sdram , onboard Intel 82810e graphics, oem compaq bios, Philips pcrw1208 cd burner
Lite-On dvd-rom/cdrw. Multisession CD`s: BuddaPup-215/Teenpup/Macpup/Puppy 215ce/
puppy 109ce/Gamepup216..
Multisession works great on all...
Compaq Evo n610c, P4 768mb ram ati radeon 7500 video, Sony dvd-rom/cdrw. All multisession cd`s work fine..

Really, every multisession cd Ive ever done works great on every machine the live cd ran on..In fact Ive found that it is the easiest way to save sessions for me.

@ Note that I ONLY use BurnISO2cd in Puppy to burn multisession cd`s, although I will use BurnCDCC in windows to burn live cd`s, and have later multisessioned them as well, with varied success. But when burned with burniso2cd they always work fine..

@ Will be trying Dingo next, will post results...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...