Sound not working (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
rcrsn51

#21 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent.

I just checked in the PPM and was able to uninstall PeasyBT properly.

jss83

#22 Post by jss83 »

Yes I see it in PPM now. :)

jlst

#23 Post by jlst »

Interesting topic, you might want to try this MSCW, it writes to /etc/asound.conf and $HOME/.asoundrc to make sure both files have the same config...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 679#889679

rcrsn51

#24 Post by rcrsn51 »

@jlst: I looked at your mscw. It adds a new third line - defaults.ctl.card. Have you seen situations where it is needed?

Also, over-writing the ~./asoundrc can be a bad idea if the user has a customized version there. It would be better to just write /etc/asound.conf. Then the user can incorporate it into his own .asoundrc.

jlst

#25 Post by jlst »

rcns51, well the purpose of MSCW is to actually work, if .asoundrc has config, and you run a MSCW that only reads from and writes to /etc/asound.conf... then it doesn't work... displays incorrect active playback device and writes config that will not be used unless you delete .asoundrc ...

However I see you're working on this peasyBT, may I have a copy? Perhaps we can make these apps interact with each other?

EDIT: that extra line (.ctl.card) is to make alsamixer [and possibly other alsa mixers] pick the right soundcard, pcm.card only has effect on media players...

You see there is a lot of code, most of it actually needs a modified delayedrun to work ... and I'm also editing it to limit its scope when it does get triggered based on the presence of some files..

rcrsn51

#26 Post by rcrsn51 »

The purpose of ~/.asoundrc is to let users have their own ALSA configuration that will override the system defaults in /etc/asound.conf.

PeasyBT uses the asoundrc here to handle Bluetooth streaming audio.

Here is what I see happening in Tahrpup.

1. The standard Tahrpup setup has NO asound.conf.

2. The PeastBT setup installs the .asoundrc shown above.

3. I run mscw.

4. It creates a new asound.conf, then over-writes .asoundrc. So all the BT configuration is lost.

jlst

#27 Post by jlst »

You're right, I deleted the pet file, I'll rewrite the logic for writing and reading values from the config file..

I was following the concept I found in the original MSCW.. obviously writing that only to /etc/asound.conf makes a bit harmless.

I will post here or PM you an updated pet for you to test if it actually works...

rcrsn51

#28 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. I looked at the original MSCW and it doesn't touch ~/.asoundrc. That is the correct behaviour.

If someone is using the PeasyBT .asoundrc and needs to configure a different internal card, they can hand-code it into the top lines.

Also, it is possible to make alsamixer work with the BT audio device by adding a section to .asoundrc.