How to diagnose a D-Link router model DI-524?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
benny7440

How to diagnose a D-Link router model DI-524?

#1 Post by benny7440 »

... and after looking through a magnifying lens the antenna connection I saw a cone-shape contact within pointing outward. Since I didn't have a connector with the right screw size I decided to deform the tip of the cone for a suitable cable to be able to be screwed in there.

Now that I've found a more-or-less suitable Power Supply (a little underrated in relation to power) I'm able to see for myself if the device is working or not. For doing this I need some help due to a lack of experience in dealing with modems and routers, in general.

It has a connection named WAN which I suspect goes to my modem's ethernet connector, right? Then, I should use one of the four ethernet connections for the laptop, right?

What else, then?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

benny7440

#2 Post by benny7440 »

Have tried the Quick Setup page directions but the response after trying to reach http://192.168.0.1 is: "the server is not responding". So, this means that no setup has been completed.

Now that I remember, never tried that RESET button..., maybe I'll look at that later. But, if any of you has something else in mind I'll hear it.

My laptop is an iBook G4 running OS X 10.5.8. The browser is Safari 5.0.6 (this might be a problem).

Atle

#3 Post by Atle »

I am not a expert at anything here, but I would start with resetting the router as a start. for that you need a needle or something. You can see a small hole and insert something there a bit hard, so you can feel a "click" and then hold it for 30 seconds. Something should start to blink..

You have then reset the router to default password etc.

You can use a normal Cat5 cable between a computer and this device, but I think you might want to use another computer rather than the old Maccie as Safari might be as you say, the problem.

You do not need the antenna to set up the device. But in order to get some real help, i think the PC must have or should have Puppy in order for you to get special puppy help.

Once you get connected you might want to check if there are some more recent version of the Firmware. D link site will know that.

Dont download from anywhere but D link.

You might also want to see if your device is covered by OPEN WRT or other open source firmaware for Wlan router. Then your really king...

Atle