DebianDog - Jessie (21 June 2017)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#561 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

What's your opinion about the following?

Provide a .deb including all porteus-boot related scripts, with modified snapmergepuppy.
Downside is that it can be uninstalled, but 'Required: yes' and 'Priority: essential' in control file would give a fat warning (when using apt-get), and the need to type the exact phrase: Yes, do as I say!
Strange thing is btw, that aptitude doesn't give this warning, synaptic does similar as apt-get

The advantage would be that we can always upgrade it when needed.

Fred

fredx181

#562 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, All,

Here's a .deb package for the Palemoon browser;
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... 0_i386.deb

Tested on Jessie only.

From description;
Firefox-based, efficient and easy to use web browser
Pale Moon offers selected features and optimizations to maximize
the browser's speed, stability and user experience, while maintaining
compatibility with the thousands of Firefox extensions you have come
to love and rely on.

Pale Moon requires a processor that supports the SSE2 instruction set.
Run /proc/cpuinfo in a terminal, and look for sse2 in the flags to ensure
that your processor supports it.
Homepage:
http://www.palemoon.org/

It's smaller than Firefox or Iceweasel, and seems to run faster.

Fred

saintless

#563 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Toni, All,

Here's a .deb package for the Palemoon browser;
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... 0_i386.deb
Hi Fred.
Thanks, but can you confirm this package doesn't violate the palemoon license?
http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=6655
I don't like to upload something that could create problems for dd-repo ftp owners.

Toni

saintless

#564 Post by saintless »

Hi Fred.
fredx181 wrote:Hi Toni,

What's your opinion about the following?

Provide a .deb including all porteus-boot related scripts, with modified snapmergepuppy.
Downside is that it can be uninstalled, but 'Required: yes' and 'Priority: essential' in control file would give a fat warning (when using apt-get), and the need to type the exact phrase: Yes, do as I say!
Strange thing is btw, that aptitude doesn't give this warning, synaptic does similar as apt-get

The advantage would be that we can always upgrade it when needed.
Which files are porteus-boot related? Even make save file script and configuration files for Jwm and IceWm are porteus-boot related (they use wmpoweroff and wmreboot).
I don't like this idea much. I think porteus-boot related files are the same only in DD-Wheezy and DD-Jessie. This means 2 more different packages for MintPup and DD-Squeeze.
I guess you will like to include in this package the new save setup. It has not enough tested yet script changes and extra script in /root, /home/puppy, /etc/skel. And it doesn't work in DD-Squeeze because of make save file script (older yad version there). I'm also not sure if all other porteus-boot scripts are the same in DD-Squeeze.
In my opinion deffinetly not with 'Required: yes' and 'Priority: essential' in control file. I have a feeling this will create some kind of problem one day.

Maybe a package with long and unique name starting with debdog and only libc6 as dependency (as we did with debdoginstallscripts). It will be difficult to uninstall it by mistake anyway and it will not be auto-removed till libc6 is available.

Or deb package that has all files in /tmp or /opt and moves them to the right path from postinst script. This way uninstalling the package will not remove the porteus-boot files.

Toni

fredx181

#565 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Thanks, but can you confirm this package doesn't violate the palemoon license?
I can confirm that the package contains only the unaltered Palemoon binaries, nothing more.
Only thing I wasn't absolutely sure of: if it's still required to ask permission:

Here 666philb apologize and asks for permission
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=43307#p43307

Moonchild grants permission in reply and makes note of the changed licence
Updated:

3a. You have re-packed the browser in a different archive format (either common or proprietary)
(an exception to this is re-packaging required for specific target operating systems, e.g. rpm, deb, pet)
Here vicmz asks for permission (also about language modification):
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=44746#p44746
According to your reply, can I request permission to:
- include PaleMoon as default browser (unaltered) in Puppy Linux derivatives?
Moonchild's reply:
- include PaleMoon as default browser (unaltered) in Puppy Linux derivatives?
This is already allowed as per the (updated) redist license. Please have a read through it.
The last makes me conclude that it's permitted in the form of a .deb (if unaltered) and asking permission is not required, but I must admit I'm not very good in exactly understanding these things.

Fred

fredx181

#566 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Which files are porteus-boot related?
I just thought: snapmergepuppy, save2flash, wmpoweroff, wmreboot in /usr/bin and
/etc/init.d/snapexit and /opt/bin/snap (and postinst script with line: update-rc.d snapexit)
I guess you will like to include in this package the new save setup. It has not enough tested yet script changes and extra script in /root, /home/puppy, /etc/skel.
It's included in DD64, I can say I tested enough and no problems are reported about it in DD64 thread (although that doesn't say very much)
I understand that you don't like to include as default, we can keep it as it is now (option to load .squashfs)
Or deb package that has all files in /tmp or /opt and moves them to the right path from postinst script. This way uninstalling the package will not remove the porteus-boot files.
I like that idea.
But if you prefer to make only the replacement of snapmergepuppy in future iso release it's also fine by me.

Anyway attached modified snapmergepuppy:
TIP:
Extract in the rootcopy folder so you get <rootcopy>/usr/bin/snapmergepuppy

Edit; Another subject, Just for info, I found that this package for xvidcap (Ubuntu Jaunty) works nicely on DD jessie (or maybe also on squeeze and wheezy)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xvidca ... b/download
Doesn't need ffmpeg or libav-tools installed probably because it's statically linked to it.(but does depend on imagemagick for single frame capture)

Fred
Attachments
snapmergepuppy.tar.gz
Modified snapmergepuppy
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

saintless

#567 Post by saintless »

Hi Fred.
fredx181 wrote:I can confirm that the package contains only the unaltered Palemoon binaries, nothing more.
Thanks, this should be OK reading the license. I will upload it in DD-Jessie repo in the next days. (Edit: Done).
fredx181 wrote:I just thought: snapmergepuppy, save2flash, wmpoweroff, wmreboot in /usr/bin and
/etc/init.d/snapexit and /opt/bin/snap (and postinst script with line: update-rc.d snapexit)
OK.
I like that idea.
Lets make such package then. It will be easier for you to update it in the future and when the new-setup is tested well in all iso versions we can add it as upgraded package.
Edit; Another subject, Just for info, I found that this package for xvidcap (Ubuntu Jaunty) works nicely on DD jessie (or maybe also on squeeze and wheezy)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xvidca ... b/download
Doesn't need ffmpeg or libav-tools installed probably because it's statically linked to it.(but does depend on imagemagick for single frame capture)
I confirm it works in DD-Squeeze. Is there alternative xvidcap version in any multimedia debian repo? If you like to upload this package in dd-repository we have to make sure it doesn't have conflicting files with some other xvidcap version from multimedia repo.

Toni

mikeslr

Xvidcap

#568 Post by mikeslr »

deleted: more intelligently discussed by fredx181 here & following: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 266#891266

mikesLr

fredx181

#569 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Lets make such package then. It will be easier for you to update it in the future and when the new-setup is tested well in all iso versions we can add it as upgraded package.
Ok, I made 2 packages, porteusbootscripts old and new.

Old is v 0.0.1, it contains the scripts as they are now in the iso, except snapmergepuppy is modified.
New is v 0.0.2, it contains the scripts for the New save-setup.

Once installed, uninstalling one of the packages will make no change in the system, so in fact it's only possible to upgrade/downgrade.
It's new for me to make package with such a construction, so tell me if you have some idea to improve.
Tested on wheezy and jessie.

Also here's attached upgrade of 99-new-save-setup.squashfs, added modified /usr/bin/snapmergepuppy.

Edit:
I confirm it works in DD-Squeeze. Is there alternative xvidcap version in any multimedia debian repo? If you like to upload this package in dd-repository we have to make sure it doesn't have conflicting files with some other xvidcap version from multimedia repo.
Maybe there was in the past a Debian-mutimedia package xvidcap, but not anymore.
Yes, I would like to have it in the repository
Here's the Jaunty package from sourceforge with only change that I added oss-compat as dependency.
(/dev/dsp is default in the xvidcap preferences and works well for me)
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... 7_i386.deb

Edit2: Re-attached 99-new-save-setup.squashfs, forgot changing ownership of /home/puppy

Fred
Attachments
99-new-save-setup.squashfs.tar
Re-attached New new-save-setup.squashfs remove fake .tar extension
(12 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
porteusbootscripts_0.0.1_i386.deb.tar
porteusbootscrips v0.0.1 remove fake .tar extension
(8.42 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
porteusbootscripts_0.0.2_i386.deb.tar
porteusbootscrips v0.0.2 remove fake .tar extension
(10.35 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#570 Post by saintless »

Hi Fred.
fredx181 wrote:Ok, I made 2 packages, porteusbootscripts old and new.

Old is v 0.0.1, it contains the scripts as they are now in the iso, except snapmergepuppy is modified.
New is v 0.0.2, it contains the scripts for the New save-setup.
I will add this line in version 0.0.2:

Code: Select all

chown -R puppy:puppy /home/puppy/Startup/initchanges.sh
Otherwise:

ls -l /home/puppy/Startup/initchanges.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root  root   404 Nov  4 20:39 initchanges.sh
Any reason not to remove /opt/tmp in postinst script in both packages? Uninstalling works without errors with apt-get and synaptic.
Yes, I would like to have it in the repository
Here's the Jaunty package from sourceforge with only change that I added oss-compat as dependency.
(/dev/dsp is default in the xvidcap preferences and works well for me)
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... 7_i386.deb
OK, I will add it today.

Edit: 99-new-save-setup.squashfs also has ./home/puppy owned by root. I will change it to puppy.

Toni

fredx181

#571 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks for the corrections, Toni.

I never seem to remember changing /home/puppy ownership.

Yes, removing /opt/tmp should be ok then.

Fred

fredx181

#572 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

Just for info, I noticed a very nice DebianDog derivative for spanish users here
http://www.puppylinuxjosejp2424.com/201 ... night.html

It is made from forum member josejp2424, Great job jose!

Posting from it now.

Also here is japanese version for jwm icewm, did not try it
http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/simosnet-livecd/debiandog/

And there is a DebianDog Tshirt also now, I want it!!
http://www.cafepress.com/debianstuff.10878255
No just kidding :)

Fred

saintless

#573 Post by saintless »

Thanks for the links Fred, nice to see DD derivatives :)
If josejp2424 reads this thread, please, add Fred in the information. He is the OpenBox version developer.

Porteusbootscripts uploaded in DD-Jessie and Wheezy repo.
Xvidcap uploaded in DD-Squeeze, Wheezy, Jessie and MintPup repo. For MintPup it doesn't work with oss-compat. I had to add pulseaudio as dependency and to edit the desktop file startup command to "padsp xvidcap". I think the problem is some oss-compat module missing from the official Ubuntu kernel but works with pulseaudio for me (I will add this information in MintPup thread later).

I will make updated package for snapmergepuppy for MintPup and DD-Squeeze and update the fixes posts when I have time (in the next few days I hope).

Toni

fredx181

#574 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
For MintPup it doesn't work with oss-compat. I had to add pulseaudio as dependency and to edit the desktop file startup command to "padsp xvidcap"
Ah, just curious, does it absolutely depend on pulseaudio for Mintpup?
I mean, it doesn't just work with alsa recording device?

Edit: Never mind, On DD it seems to work only using /dev/dsp, and found doing a websearch that it works only with OSS.

Fred

saintless

#575 Post by saintless »

Hi all.

DD-Jessie, Wheezy, Squeeze and MintPup repositories and fixes posts updated with the fix for porteus-boot changes on exit libc6 problem.

Toni

cinclus_cinclus

Debian Live

#576 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

On Fri 29 Jan 2016, 13:11 rufwoof
Given that the Debian CD and Installation teams killed off Live Debian
While there's life, there's hope:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/20 ... 00044.html

rufwoof

#577 Post by rufwoof »

Been hitting a few certificate validation problems more recently, such as the one attached.

I use the latest firefox (44.0.2) and have all Debian updates applied, but looks like some of the browsers local certificates aren't matching security levels.

Is anyone else seeing similar problems (or know of a fix)?

Mozilla indicated that I needed to close firefox and delete a cert8.db file. I tried deleting /opt/bin/Firefox/profile/cert8.db and restarted firefox (that creates a new cert8.db apparently ok), but the invalid security messages still reoccur.
Attachments
i.jpg
(47.91 KiB) Downloaded 842 times

saintless

#578 Post by saintless »

Hi rufwoof.

Tested with Jwm and OpenBox Jessie and I can't reproduce this problem.
The included Firefox upgraded to version 44 and Iceweasel version 38:

root@debian:~# firefox --version
/opt/bin
Mozilla Firefox 44.0.2
root@debian:~# iceweasel --version
Mozilla Iceweasel 38.6.1
Then the system ugraded and checked if ca-certificates is latest version:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install ca-certificates
Opening us.rd.yahoo.com redirects to yahoo.com and works. The mail page login.yahoo.com also works without problem for me with Iceweasel and Firefox. Browsing some sites like github.com, abv.bg and this forum works.
If you give some direct links that do not work for you I can test them to confirm the problem.

Toni

rufwoof

#579 Post by rufwoof »

If you give some direct links that do not work for you I can test them to confirm the problem.
Thanks Toni.

Sorry I don't have a direct link however from
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=^FTSE
which is a web page chart of UK's FT100 stock index, if I click the DOW tickbox and then click COMPARE in the chart frame, the next page seen is a certificate error page.

Same if I run that after having run update/upgrade and install ca-certificates.

Another case is my banks web site. Different error number but similar certificate associated problem.

saintless

#580 Post by saintless »

rufwoof wrote:https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=^FTSE
which is a web page chart of UK's FT100 stock index, if I click the DOW tickbox and then click COMPARE in the chart frame, the next page seen is a certificate error page.
Ok, with this link I have the same problem using Iceweasel, Firefox and Dillo.
I'm afraid the only thing you can do is to accept us.rd.yahoo.com certificate and the same for other websites you have problem with. You should see it added to the list (see the screenshot).
It is not included in Jessie ca-certificates package. It is not included in ca-certificates for Stretch and SID also (upgrading ca-certificates didn't solve the problem for me).
I don't know why this problem didn't appear before for you. Probably yahoo.com and other sites are changing the certificates lately. Maybe next Firefox version will update the trusted connections list.

Toni
Attachments
2016-03-04-195415_646x452_scrot.png
(35.34 KiB) Downloaded 718 times