How Do I Mount Remote Hard Disks?

Using applications, configuring, problems
ozboomer

#21 Post by ozboomer »

bladehunter wrote:Now I mount a share a ok.....now to export one
Yaaay! Congrats! See how it goes... Everything crossed here ;)

#22 Post by Guest »

ok we have success

Modded the slackware script, has a variable that point to the root of where the nfs binaires are

ie by default the tar file has all the binaries in
/root/my-applications/nfs

so NFS_PATH=/root/my-application/nfs

I thought I'd keep it this way to keep in clean

only the libs need will be copied to /root/my-applications/lib
exports & rpc will be placed in /etc
rc.portmap & rc.nfsd will be placed in /etc/rc.d
umount-NFS and mount-NFS are symlinks from /root/my-applications/nfs/bin to /root/my-applications/bin

One thing you will have to do is add the following line hosts.allow

Code: Select all

ALL:192.168.1.
Don't leave the period of the end........this assumes that your network is 192.168.1.0

EDIT

Youll have to change the modprobe command in /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd to the required insmod commands.....The machine I was testing on has the client\server nfs stuff compiled in

rpcinfo & rpc.rquotad have been included

Look if you test and it goes ok (the tar file) I'll release a dotpup...so many thanks for your time in testing :)

ozboomer

#23 Post by ozboomer »

bladehunter wrote:ok we have success

[...]

Look if you test and it goes ok (the tar file) I'll release a dotpup...so many thanks for your time in testing :)
...and to you for building it up :) I'm crashin' into the cot for now... but I'll try it tomorrow when I get home from work.

Fanx! again for your efforts :)

ozboomer

#24 Post by ozboomer »

bladehunter wrote:One thing you will have to do is add the following line hosts.allow

Code: Select all

ALL:192.168.1.
[...]
Youll have to change the modprobe command in /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd to the required insmod commands.....The machine I was testing on has the client\server nfs stuff compiled in
Well, I unpacked the file you had here into '/', placing all the files (and links) into the correct places.

I made the hosts.allow change and I had a look at the insmod commands you had earlier in this thread... but they didn't seem to do anything.

At any rate, I then had an rxvt session in /root/.etc/rc.d ... and here's what happened:-

root@tetrad # ./rc.nfsd start
Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.29/modules.dep
modprobe: Can't locate module nfsd
Starting RPC portmapper: /root/my-applications/nfs/sbin/rpc.portmap
Starting NFS services:
/root/my-applications/nfs/usr/sbin/exportfs -r
exportfs: /etc/exports [4]: No 'sync' or 'async' option specified for export "*:/root".
Assuming default behaviour ('sync').
NOTE: this default has changed from previous versions
exportfs: could not open /var/lib/nfs/xtab for locking
/root/my-applications/nfs/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 8
/root/my-applications/nfs/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
/root/my-applications/nfs/usr/sbin/rpc.lockd
lockdsvc: Function not implemented
/root/my-applications/nfs/usr/sbin/rpc.statd
root@tetrad #

Now, I'm not too flash on the modules that need to be loaded... Maybe you could do a modprobe (or whatever it is) and fling it here, so I can see what modules you have loaded... and we can try it step-by-step.

Oh... I can still ping Ok between the 2 PCs Ok, so I know the 'basic' networking is Ok.

Thx.

#25 Post by Guest »

if you have a look at the archive you'll see where the module nfsd.o and the others (nfsd.o.gz) is (I haven't got access to it right now)...when you run insmod the full path name will need to be put on the command line...apart from the modprobe error all is good or your rc.local could copy nfsd.o to where the other modules are kept, run depmod -a then modprobe will work...

Just for interest my new puplet has the nfs server and client modules compiled into the kernel..see announcements....no need to insert any nfs modules