Slacko64-6.3.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pri

cannot detect wifi

#181 Post by pri »

seem not lucky with wifi. this laptop is sony vaio pcg. 71318l 64bit windows 7 home edition.

but work ok using slacko 32bit. thks gota take it to work on tomorow morning. with operator cellular using debian but i will bring it there.
Learning by Doing

Semme

#182 Post by Semme »

Pri, to tether with your Android? Does it connect wired?

Run PupScan then copy'n paste the info for your net card.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

pri

#183 Post by pri »

On fatdog can use tathering via usb. Will try using slacko 64bit when got home.
Learning by Doing

pri

usb tathering

#184 Post by pri »

conection to android using usb seem ok. posting on it. thks
Learning by Doing

Belham

Slacko64 6.3.0 openssl upgrade confusion

#185 Post by Belham »

Hi all,

Is there anyone that knows how to upgrade Slacko64 6.3.0's openssl, which is currently:

# openssl version -a
OpenSSL 1.0.1p 9 Jul 2015
built on: Thu Jul 9 12:59:08 2015
platform: linux-x86_64

I also use Slacko 5.7 (32-bit), and the repositories for that upgrading their openssl 1.0.1r to openssl 1.0.1s was just a click in the update menu and all was taken care of. In Slacko64, I can find written nowhere in the forums how to do this.

I saw Watchdog posted links for openssl 1.0.2f versions (new), but they were all i486.

I also found Musher posted .pets and sfs, but again, are they for 32-bit only, or 32 & 64-bit.

Thank you for any help, and sorry if I am not understanding something simple. I've managed to update all the other puppies I currently use, even the Tahr64 6.0.5, which, again, like the Slacko 5.7 version was just a simple click & upgrade to solve.

What and where (if there is one) is the openssl upgrade/fix for Slacko64 6.3.0??? :? Is it in .pet format or an sfs somewhere? I am assuming nothing can be done about the glibc currently in Slacko64 6.3.0 (it is GNU libc 2.17), unlike Tahrpup 6.0.5 which not only updated to the openssl fix, but also updated the glibc from 0ubuntu6.6 to the required (2.19-0ubuntu6.7) 2.19.

In Slacko64, both of these things, as far as I can tell, have not been updated, nor addressed, or even discussed in the Security forum section. Only the 32-bit version stuff has been discussed. Can I just use the 32-bit fix versions of glibc and openssl and stick them in my Slacko64 6.3.0 somehow and experience no problems??

Thank you for any help and/or pointers

watchdog

#186 Post by watchdog »

You should look at the slackware64 14.1 patches repository:

ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/s ... /packages/

Before testing backup your savefile. To update openssl you should install openssl and openssl-solibs. It is possible to test the glibc update, too, but it's dangerous.

harrisnyc

How to update Chrome to the latest version? (rel 49)

#187 Post by harrisnyc »

Hi all,

Please forgive me if I seem like a bit of a noob, but I love Slacko64 6.3 so far, and I really want to make it work for me.

Here's my issue:
- In PPM, the only version of Chrome I see is 46. Yes, I've updated the PPM database.
- The latest version of Chrome is 49. In fact when running 46, the Gmail webpage tells me that this version of Chrome is no longer supported.
- I installed 49 from the Chrome website (both the .deb and the .rpm versions, as I really wasn't sure which one to use, which is a separate noob issue of mine) but when running it, it tells me that it cannot run under the root user.

Any ideas? Thanks very much in advance.

Harris

Semme

#188 Post by Semme »

Pointless!
Last edited by Semme on Sun 20 Mar 2016, 23:31, edited 2 times in total.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Semme

#189 Post by Semme »

Pointless!
Last edited by Semme on Sun 20 Mar 2016, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#190 Post by Semme »

Pointless!
Last edited by Semme on Sun 20 Mar 2016, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#191 Post by Semme »

Pointless!
Last edited by Semme on Sun 20 Mar 2016, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#192 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Harris,

The following should work:
Go in /opt/google/chrome/ and open the script "google-chrome" with a texteditor
Then change this (almost last line):

Code: Select all

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome"  "$@"
To this:

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome" --no-sandbox --user-data-dir --disable-infobars "$@"
Save the changes and run Google Chrome from menu.

Fred

harrisnyc

#193 Post by harrisnyc »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Harris,

The following should work:
Go in /opt/google/chrome/ and open the script "google-chrome" with a texteditor
Then change this (almost last line):

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome"  "$@"
To this:

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome" --no-sandbox --user-data-dir --disable-infobars "$@"
Save the changes and run Google Chrome from menu.

Fred
Thanks Fred, this worked! Now... another, unrelated problem. In Puppy, as there's no setting to enable "natural scrolling" (i.e., the way the touchpad works on a Mac, where scrolling on the touchpad works as though you were scrolling on a phone or tablet) I found and used the following command:

​echo "pointer = 1 2 3 5 4 7 6 8 9 10 11 12" > ~/.Xmodmap && xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
This command enables natural scrolling... except that it doesn't work in Chrome! It's just one thing after another... ;)

Thanks again,
Harris

Belham

Watchdog---thank you! Installed openssl & all glibc

#194 Post by Belham »

Watchdog,

Just wanted to say thank you for posting that ftp link for Slacko64 6.3.0 updates. Sometimes, I go brain dead and get lost on the Slacko pages looking for the correct updates.

Well, I updated my Slacko64 6.3.0 first with both of the updates to bring the openssl up to 1.0.1s, and all went smoothly. I then next updated all five of the glibc update packages, and it too went smoothly. The only thing I can tell that got borked was Google Chrome, which was nothing to uninstall and then reinstall.

With Slacko64 6.3.0, Tahrpup64 and Barry's old Precise 5.7 and his now even better Quirky Werewolf64 7.4, I've finally found my nirvana in using computers after 25 years. Only unfortunate thing is that I had to give up trying with Fatdog64 recently. Sure, Fatdog64 runs well (that is, when it finally gets going after 3-5 maddening mins with that initrd loading), but struggling trying to understand how to pare the the initrd so that it loads faster plus having problems with actually getting Fatdog64 on a usb drive (something I've never encountered in 5-7 years of using versions of puppies, where I've put them all on various USB drives and/or SD cards with zero issues)..........the hassle of using Fatdog64 is just no longer worth it. I see others having posted problems with both of these things I mention, and I honestly think James Bond and his mate need to look at doing something with the initrd & its size, instead of relying on people who want to use it to know what to do. Jmho.

Anyway, thank you again for the Slacko64 link. Have bookmarked it for good! I'll post back on here if I see Slacko64 6.3.0 acting funny in any other way (other than the Chrome issue mentioned above) with all the openssl and glibc updates I did.

watchdog

#195 Post by watchdog »

Fatdog64 becomes useful and worth to learn it when you want to use linux and a puppy like distro on a windows>=8.0 machine with UEFI boot.

Mike Walsh

#196 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

I keep trying to get Slacko 64 set up the way I want it. One thing I do want is VLC. I'm wondering if there's anything wrong at the Slackware repositories, because every time I try to install VLC, it freezes the system up & it becomes totally non-responsive.....and the only way to shutdown is a hard power-off. Then, of course, on trying to re-boot again, I get a kernel panic, and the OS is totally unusable.

Has anybody else come across this same problem? If they have, and they know of a solution, would they please point me in the right direction?

Mike. :wink:

musher0

#197 Post by musher0 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Afternoon, all.

I keep trying to get Slacko 64 set up the way I want it. One thing I do want is VLC. I'm wondering if there's anything wrong at the Slackware repositories, because every time I try to install VLC, it freezes the system up & it becomes totally non-responsive.....and the only way to shutdown is a hard power-off. Then, of course, on trying to re-boot again, I get a kernel panic, and the OS is totally unusable.

Has anybody else come across this same problem? If they have, and they know of a solution, would they please point me in the right direction?

Mike. :wink:
Hi Mike.

For audio files, you could use my mplayer script instead of vlc. :)

Else you could try good old gxine? I personally don't like how it looks and how it
works, but it did the job on the pup-jibaro-jessie.

Other than that, try (bouncing a few ideas off the wall here):
-- cvlc? (It's still vlc, but CLI version.) See if you can install that and work from there?
-- to install a deb package (no, no, that's blasphemy on Slackware...) :lol:
-- to compile vlc on the Slacko 64 Pup on your machine?

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Billtoo

#198 Post by Billtoo »

Not Slacko64 but I'm running LxPup-Sc 16.05.2 Linux 4.6.0-lxpup-32-pae
and there is a Vlc-2.1.0 available in PPM.

I compliled the newest version 2.2.3 and it works well on my hardware:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2003 1: @2003 MHz
I have the proprietary Nvidia driver installed.

I didn't try the version in PPM but it might be worth your while if you
want to give LxPup-Sc 16.05.2 a try.

Another option might be Quirky Xerus 8.0, screenshot shows Vlc-2.2.5 installed from QPM.
Attachments
vlc-2.2.5.jpg
(89.12 KiB) Downloaded 1362 times
vlc.jpg
(54.2 KiB) Downloaded 1386 times

dejan555

#199 Post by dejan555 »

I also compiled vlc for slacko, it's the command line version though, 2.2.1 version, I can upload the files if anyone wants them.
# cvlc --version
VLC media player 2.2.1 Terry Pratchett (Weatherwax) (revision 2.2.1-0-ga425c42)
VLC version 2.2.1 Terry Pratchett (Weatherwax) (2.2.1-0-ga425c42)
Compiled by root on localhost (Jan 9 2016 13:26:36)
Compiler: gcc version 4.8.2 (GCC)
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

gcmartin

#200 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @DeJan555

Any chance that VLC221 is a PET that you upload?

Looking forward...