How to use any program I want in Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
Lazers1

How to use any program I want in Puppy?

#1 Post by Lazers1 »

I only just got puppy today, and am really confused..it seems you cannot download and use ANY program not specifically designed for puppy without getting a degree in super-computing and getting a million compilers...is there nothing universal? that will work fo EVERYTHING??

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Hi Lazers1; Linux isn't like WinBlows, it's many different distros.
Each has it's own flavor of how to get things done.
There have been many many calls for unification of Linux methods.
Uncle Bill G. loves the diversity of Linux for just the reason you stated.

There's alot of stuff in the packages (porgrams) for Puppy Linux if you look,
& if there's something in paticular you want... just ask.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

There are some things that work better than others. Firefox will install and run (hardware permitting) in darn near anything. You'll have to "install" it yourself, but the process is the same as extracting a .zip archive in Windows. That's it.

Try MU's PSI. It is a software installer that uses many repositories with Puppy software.

Nearly all linux programs will run on nearly any linux, so long as the dependencies are covered and the filesystem isn't much different.

As for compiling, all you need is the devx_xxx.sfs addon, which contains the most common development stuff. The biggest thing I've seen lacking in it is Python. There used to be another package for it too, I don't know if it still works. I installed it from source okay though.

But yeah, if you can't get something running yourself, feel free to make a request on the forums. Somebody else will give it a shot.

One thing to beware is programs that start with a 'k' that shouldn't, like something named kspeaker. Those types of programs are generally dependant on the KDE desktop environment. There is a package for that, but I'd recommend avoiding the KDElephant whenever you kan....
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

JohnMc

#4 Post by JohnMc »

Lazers1,

Which programs were you interested in? If you got a short list maybe we can point you to where they are (already puppyfied) or a already developed suitable substitute.

Puppy has not let me down yet!