How to use Realtek RTL8192EU USB Wireless?

MarcHoppe

How to use Realtek RTL8192EU USB Wireless?

#1 Post by MarcHoppe »

Hello, Second day using Puppy Linux so I've got a lot to learn. :)

Yesterday I spent quite a bit of time setting up the desktop, moving icons, selecting icons, selecting themes, wallpaper etc etc. When I shut down last night I was very happy with the results. Everything looked really cool. This morning when I booted up many of the icons were moved (to the right side of the screen). Also when I go to the menu button the icons there won't show up until I mouse over them. Apparently something has gone wrong graphically. I've tried saving my theme and rebooting but no luck. Any ideas what happened ?

Also now when using Grub2 Dos I can't access the WinXp side of the dual boot. I can write down the exact message I get next time I boot. Something I'm missing ? (probably).

Thanks for any help. :D
Last edited by MarcHoppe on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

Re: Newbie Questions

#2 Post by L18L »

MarcHoppe wrote:Something I'm missing ? (probably).
your hardware
your operating system
your version
your installation
your settings
your explanation of "Grub2 Dos". We only know about grub2 and ab out grub4dos.

First things should always be:
1 some settings
2 shutdown and save
3 reboot to test your settings are not lost.

Or shall we guess that you have a "full" install?

mostly_lurking

#3 Post by mostly_lurking »

Providing some basic information about your setup would be useful - like which Puppy version you have, and how it is installed. Full install, or a frugal install with a savefile, or something else? [To anyone who has experience with savefiles (unlike me, the multisession user): if there is a savefile, could it already have become corrupted, for example, by putting it onto a fragmented Windows partition? Does that happen?]

About the desktop icons... I remembered that there was a thread by someone who had misplaced icons. In that case, the problem was apparently caused by the user changing the placement of the "lock" icon. Not sure if this applies here - did you move any icons that were on the right side of the screen?

MarcHoppe

#4 Post by MarcHoppe »

Hey thanks for the non condescending post..... :P Like I said this is only my second day.

First of all let me say that I'm trying to use Puppy Linux (Slacko Puppy 6.3 Frugal install) to bring purpose back to this old Pentium 4, 2.53 2Gig Ram system with a Nvidia GeForce4 MX420 graphics card. I know it's an old system. I have an i7 desktop running Win 7 and an i3 Laptop running Win10 so all I'm asking this computer to do is run Puppy Linux or some other distro so I can learn Linux. It's not going to play games or do anything but access the internet. So again:

1. Hardware: Pentium 4 2.53Ghz 2 Gigs Ram, Nvidia GeForce4 MX420 (likely the cause of some graphics issues). It's dual booted with WinXP which runs very well on the same hardware.

2. OS :Slacko

3. Version 6.3

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20L ... elease.htm

4. Installation "Frugal" installed " not liveCD"

5. Settings ? Explain. I've done some tweaks changing Icons Themes, Desktop Icons, etc but only with files included in the install. Nothing downloaded and installed.

6. Sorry I meant Grub4Dos. The version that installs with Slacko. I have discovered that if I go to the advanced settings I can then boot WinXp but it will not boot from the WinXp entry on the main Grub boot page.
Anyway I saved "My Theme" again and now most of the icons are back where I left them. but "Trash" "Lock" and "Zip" have returned to the right side of the desktop (I have all the other icons placed on the left side in the default style of WinXp). The icons for the entries on the Menu button still show as whited out until I mouse over them and that would seem to indicate something is wrong with the Icon Theme but it worked yesterday and like I said it is a theme that is included with Slacko 6.3
Last edited by MarcHoppe on Fri 11 Mar 2016, 22:12, edited 2 times in total.

MarcHoppe

#5 Post by MarcHoppe »

Also I can not get Slacko to recognize my Realtek USB Wireless Adapter which if I am not mistaken uses the rtl8192 cu drivers which are available to load. If I load the module the report is that "No New Interfaces were Detected". I have unplugged and re-plugged the unit back in with the same results. I did get this WiFi device to work in PCLinuxOS which I briefly had installed but have since deleted due to poor performance. I will continue to experiment and see if I can successfully get this device working.
From the USB Devices list:

Manufacturer=Realtek
Product=802.11n NIC
SerialNumber=00e04c000001
VendorID=0bda ProductID=818b KERNEL-DRIVER(builtin)=(none)

EDIT; I did just find this:

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.14.55 (i686)
Version : #1 SMP Mon Oct 26 11:54:01 AEST 2015
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.17 (stable)
Distribution : Slacko Puppy - 6.3.0
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc2726
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown (Window Manager: JWM)
-Misc-
Uptime : 49 minutes
Load Average : 0.17, 0.28, 0.34

moeppyfan

#6 Post by moeppyfan »

Hello MarcHoppe,

Just so you know, when writing is blue, it's usually a link you can click on. So in this post:
mostly_lurking wrote:About the desktop icons... I remembered that there was a thread by someone who had misplaced icons. In that case, the problem was apparently caused by the user changing the placement of the "lock" icon. Not sure if this applies here - did you move any icons that were on the right side of the screen?
You can move your mouse over and click on the words "a thread by someone who had misplaced icons" to read the link. ;)

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

Hello MarcHoppe.

Your icon displacement problem is not actually a bug in Puppy. It's a feature... :twisted:
Because of the "super-imposed layers" concept Puppy is based on.

I'll spare you the theory and go right to a solution.

Once you have finished moving the icons to your liking:

open a ROX-filer window and go to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer
copy PuppyPin to PuppyPin.bkp

If this mingling ever happens again, you now have a back-up.

Just go at the same place and do the reverse:
copy PuppyPin.bkp to PuppyPin, and confirm the copy.
Then go back to the initial black console with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and type < xwin >
and you'll get back your nice personalized icon set-up.

There is a way to do painlessly this with scripts, and if you push me a little, I'll
provide mine! :)

I'd like to conclude by saying that this "teflon" behavior on the part of the Puppy
doesn't happen all the time. It happens, as you noticed, on 2nd boot, and every time
at boot AFTER you load or unload an "sfs" file. But now you know what to do to
restore your personalized setting.

Why some members above are asking you all sorts of "confidential" :) questions is
because in recent Puppies this bug has been fixed. They're not nosy: indeed it
would help us help you if you answered them.

I hope this helps.

Bye for now.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

MarcHoppe

#8 Post by MarcHoppe »

mostly_lurking wrote:did you move any icons that were on the right side of the screen?
Sorry I didn't see your post until now...Yes I did move all the icons that were on the right including the Lock icon. Guess I should jut leave them there ?

MarcHoppe

#9 Post by MarcHoppe »

musher0 wrote: open a ROX-filer window and go to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer
copy PuppyPin to PuppyPin.bkp
Ok thanks I've completed those steps. :)

Sorry everybody but I'm experiencing the same issue now with Slacko that I have with all the other distros I've tried on this machine. I can barely scroll through pages on the forums due to poor graphics performance. There is something about the drivers for my Nvidia card that will not allow it to perform well. Like I said on the WinXp side the system performs like a champ considering it's age. But now even using SeaMonkey I can barely scroll the forum page so if I miss your posts I apologize. Perhaps a reboot will help.

Anyway for the record I'm new to Linux but not new to computers as I've owned at least one since the mid 80's. I now have five working systems. I also do unofficial tech support for Windows based music production software like VSTi plugins and DAWS and frequent an half dozen PhPBB style forums.

So I understand the need to provide system information I just didn't know exactly what would be needed in this case. Hopefully I have provided the necessary info. I can also get info from the terminal if you'll tell me what code to enter.

So thanks everybody for the help! I'm going to re-boot now and see if the performance issue on the forum clears up. If I can't figure out a way to get around the Nvidia driver issue then it may be that this system simply will not run any distro. I've tried Ubuntu, PCLInuxOS, Lubuntu and Mint all with pretty much the same results. But yesterday Slacko was running just fine so maybe I've bunged up a setting somewhere. I've got Ubuntu running just fine on an old Celeron 1.5, 1 gig system so other than the driver issue there's no reason the Pentium 2.53 shouldn't at least be able to run Slacko to the level I need just to learn. I'll re-boot and see if I can get some performance back......... :D

EDIT: Ok after a re-boot I found a way to switch to the nuveau Nvidia driver which is the wonky driver that has caused issues on other distros. It was set to something generic in Slacko so performance is back to acceptable. Desktop Icon issue is fixed if I leave the Lock Icon on the right. Menu Button Icons are still not showing correctly but to me that seems like an Icon Theme issue......let me work on that.

If anyone has any ideas on the USB wireless issue I would appreciate that. I've got it hardwired at the moment but that requires me to run a Cat6 cable through the house from my router and I've tripped on it a half dozen times already....... :lol:

Thanks again for the help everybody......... :D

MarcHoppe

#10 Post by MarcHoppe »

Ok I've discovered that I need the rtl8192eu 4.3.1.1 driver to get my wireless USB adapter to function and it's not listed in the modules included in Slacko 6.3.0. I've done a search in the Puppy Package Manager but with no luck.

(this is the driver I used to get the WiFi working in PCLinuxOS which I have since deleted. I assume the driver would be the same for Slacko 6.3.0).

How would I get this driver to install ? (Remember I'm very new to Puppy Linux). :D

Manufacturer=Realtek
Product=802.11n NIC

Thanks for any help !

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

Realtek RTL8192CU WiFi Drivers for Puppy - Look Here First
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100675
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

MarcHoppe

#12 Post by MarcHoppe »

Thanks but it was the 8192eu drivers that got the adapter working in PCLinuxOS:

[root@pclos ~]# modinfo 8192eu
filename: /lib/modules/4.4.4-pclos1/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8192eu.ko
version: v4.3.1.1_11320.20140505
author: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
description: Realtek Wireless Lan Driver

I haven't been able to find out how to install the eu version. Google has not been of much help.........
Last edited by MarcHoppe on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

@Marc:

Just a word to tell you that on this forum, we usually ask only one question per
thread. It's easier to follow.

(This is not a reprimand. I'm just saying, for next time.)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

MarcHoppe

#14 Post by MarcHoppe »

Ok I didn't think I should start a new thread. I'll know going forward.

I have changed the thread title to focus on this issue.

I managed to get dkms-rtl8192EU_linux_v4.2.4_8819.20130822_beta.tar.gz downloaded and unzipped but I have no idea how to apply or install the drivers in Linux. :?

Like I said with the help of users at the PCLinuxOS forums I was able to get the adapter to work in that distro but PCLOS performed poorly on this system which is why I've installed Slacko 6.3.0 instead.

Oh and I have the driver disc that came with the adapter and it does have Linux drivers but I was told elsewhere you can't use them because they aren't compiled for the kernel or something along those lines.

april

#15 Post by april »

Driver changed by realtek and needs to be recompiled for each kernel for it to work properly
See herehttp://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97324

rscn57+ has some knowledge of how to compile it for various kernels but I can't get him to explain it to me or I would do it for you.
Pemasu also did one for me -the first one .

You could try a PM to them on the offchance they are feeling happy.

For some kernels-maybe you will get a hint or two from these what you need for yours. Used in the kernels mentioned for each I can confirm they work well for Puppy Precise .
Attachments
8192cu-k3.2.29.pet
(216.57 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
8192cu_precise571-k3.9.11.pet
(253.38 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Last edited by april on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

@MarcHoppe: Please state the brand name and model number of your adapter.

I don't own a [0bda:818b] rtl8192eu device, but I have compiled the driver for Slacko 630 and posted it here. Click the small green DOWNLOAD box.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

MarcHoppe

#17 Post by MarcHoppe »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016Z1 ... ge_o05_s00

Manufacturer=Realtek
Product=802.11n NIC

This is the info when I had it up and running in PCLinuxOS:

[root@pclos ~]# modinfo 8192eu
filename: /lib/modules/4.4.4-pclos1/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8192eu.ko
version: v4.3.1.1_11320.20140505
author: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
description: Realtek Wireless Lan Driver
Last edited by MarcHoppe on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

No. I want the information printed on the box or the adapter. For example, is it a D-Link DWA-131?

MarcHoppe

#19 Post by MarcHoppe »

I just added the link to the post above.

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glam Hobby is not very helpful. Install the PET and see what happens.