Dpup 487

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
musher0

#101 Post by musher0 »

dejan555 wrote:I don't remember that being an issue.

musher0, not sure about kernel also I never really compiled one, and any newer doesn't really work for my PC so I wouldn't be able to test it properly, that's why there are other puppies for newer stuff.
Ah. Ok. No problem!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Mayou

Dpup 487 bookmarked,

#102 Post by Mayou »

Is it really a so nice Puppy ? No You Tube demo ?
Downloading (slow).
Newer is not better, for music or Puppies. Just nowadays, things are electrified. But people are so in a hurry that Puppies are quite without flavour...
:) 247MB downloaded on my old computer. In fact it was fast.
Installed near by kitchenpup by my Puppy assistant
Hard to read on my laptop because of reflecting lights a lot, and i have changed colors of theme due that.
Last edited by Mayou on Wed 28 Oct 2015, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#103 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Mayou.

Well, at least I like it. Because
  • 1) dejan always does good work.

2) for sentimental reasons: dpup 487 is the latest offshoot of the original
    dpup 482 from +/- 2010, built by gposil from Debian Lenny applications.
    dpup 482 was IMO the first of the new line of Puppies like we have today.
    Also, it was my first collaboration to a Puppy. (I should light a candle,
    eh?!)

3) it's perfectly suited to older computers.
BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Mayou

Dpup487 installed ASPIRE 3000 (second hand)

#104 Post by Mayou »

Dpup487 installed ASPIRE 3000 (second hand) at first try, without help of my son. My english is not rich, so i hardly understand the english speech.

Pelo

3.0.25 is a Kernel running yet Dpup

#105 Post by Pelo »

saintless wrote:Thank you, Dejan.
Downloading now.
Just an idea for later versions: Newer kernel above 3.x (maybe even above 2.8 ) and squashfs-tools-v.4 will give you the option to use xz compression. For the price of little more CPU usage Dpup can be compressed 25-30% smaller.
Toni
If Pierre gets a smaller sized ISO by XZ, then Paul will complain about slowness of install :?:

Kernel 3.0.25 fits very well wit KDEPUP484, it should fit to Dpup487...
Frenchies do not practice a lot switching the kernels. I believe i am the only one. Canadian perhaps could help (from Quebec :))

Dpup487 refused to run in my computer. When i succeed reaching desktop, my first pupsave never finish. So I switch off computer, and trash Dpup487, I previously run Dpup487 virtual machine, and made videos of it. But the public did not show some interest in them too.
I can try to change the kernel of Dpup487, if you need. But the best should be you read the topic. It's easy to do, just obey what is said.

Pelo

Dpup487 kernel 3.0.25 now starts on my brand new laptop

#106 Post by Pelo »

Dpup487 kernel 3.0.25 now starts on my brand new laptop.
It was just an experience. If an poor user whose linux language in not the cup of tea does it, that gives hope to our latin developers.
There is a lot of people doing that in our forum Puppy, they are UK citizens, two step aheads on barbarians (the rest of the world) :!:

MTpaint has a problem with scale, confirmed.
I agree that DPUP487 is a nice Puppy, 237MB sized, i will no trash it. Unfortunately i cant get no... Rolling Stones songs, because audio cannot be activated.
That the problem will all series 4 Puppies, my audio card is unknown.
It lacks realtek and HDMI codec. And there, the user has reached his limits. :(
Attachments
blue-carboon.jpg
C vraiment joli, ce bleu carboune !
(64.89 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 14:23, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

MTpaint downloaded, from Dpup repository.

#107 Post by Pelo »

MTpaint downloaded, from Dpup repository.
remove buildin not found ?
version 3.44.59 scales your picture as you like, and save it where you decided. Is the matter closed ?
mtPaint-3.44.59-i486-dpup487.pet: 321 K
Only 321K ? ok perfect.
OSMO : data imported from my OSMO in Tahrpup ( copy all XML, to avoid to Fullfill the base again)

dejan555

#108 Post by dejan555 »

Yes, mtpaint pet fixes scale issue, there were several updates after the iso which are applied via script/deltas, check first post for instructions. Good to see that you ran it with a different kernel. Sorry for not having more time to dedicate to some updates, though they would be some minor ones.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

TheNH813

Bus error?

#109 Post by TheNH813 »

So, I'm having a problem getting Geany to open. I NEED to edit some config files and it simply does nothing if I click it's icon or use open as text. Typing "defaulttexteditor" in terminal simply says "Bus error" on one line and exits without saying a word else.I am honestly stumped by this problem. Could you help me figure out what is causing this? Because using Abiword to edit config files feels wierd. Maybe it's the lack of syntax highlighting and line numbers XD. I guess I could use MP on a terminal.

Side note: CUPS refuses to let me login, the password it told me to use dosen't work. I think it might not be receiving interapplication communication, thus I think the "Bus error" might refer to D-Bus.

TheNH813

Well, I have no idea either.

#110 Post by TheNH813 »

Mkay, had to reset BIOS for unrelated issue. Now I'm even more stumped, they both work flawlessly now.

I have a different issue now. How come it never asks to create save a file? I keep loosing my settings and applications, so I made a .pet that installs them for the time being. Any idea why this would happen? Is it a bug?

Why am I having bad luck today. DX

dejan555

#111 Post by dejan555 »

I've never had a problem with Geany.
It should ask for savefile too as far as I know.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

TheNH813

#112 Post by TheNH813 »

Good news is, Geany is still working perfectly since I reset my PC and all the "Bus error" messages went away. Still confused about the not saving thing. Like you said it should just work. I'm beginning to suspect the integrity of my installation.

Maybe the files copied wrong to my flash drive. I generally extract the main sfs, init and kernel to my flash drive in their own folder. I have other folders like Slacko,Lucid528,FatDog64,UbuntuInstaller,etc in the root of my flash drive. It uses a custom Grub4DOS multiboot menu with auto list sorting and splash image. Could the fact the files of DPup are in a subfolder (/DPup relative to the drive's root) confuse the scripts responsible for saving somehow? It should'nt though as I specified psubdir=DPup psubok=TRUE pmedia=usbflash pfix=nocopy.

I'l verify the MD5 of the files I copied out of the *.ISO against a known good downloaded copy to make sure they're good. Or better yet, just redownload it, not like it'l take longer then 5 minutes.

TheNH813

Bad copy

#113 Post by TheNH813 »

Fixed it.

For some reason, the MD5 matched, but downloading a new copy fixed it. Most likely my flash drive had some weakly written information in the flash and rewriting it solved the problem. That was one of the oddest bugs I'v ever seen a disk problem cause. Thanks for letting me know that it did have a save function, otherwise I would have blamed the OS.

I did have to update some stuff to run the newest version of Chrome, Blender and GIMP because they refused to build or start. I compiled a newer version of GCC, libpng, libjpeg, libffi, lots of base libraries, and a few others I just felt like updating or for security reasons. I left the old libraries installed for any applications that need them (ex: libjpeg.so > libjpeg.so.9, leaving libjpeg.so.<oldnumber> in existance for applications specifically searching for it). I guess if anyone really wants the updated libraries it wouldn't be too much of a bother for me to package them.

It's a great OS by the way. The theme is nice, and it seems to run a bit faster then any other version of Puppy Linux on my PC, besides Lucid. Graphics were a bit buggy at first till I tuned the options, but now it runs most things fine. It's the perfect portable Linux installation for my uses. One of the things I haven't seen in other Puppy versions or even heard of before is the Beep Media Player. Does what it needs to and nothing more, plus files opened after another replaces the currently playing item by default.

dejan555

#114 Post by dejan555 »

I see this reply late, but yes, I would like the upgraded packages :) Or if you can do a remaster you're encouraged to up the version to next one with your updates.
Not sure if you saw but there were some updates post-iso using delta files.
Beep Media Player is successor to old Xmms player iirc, but it's now outdated to, in last update I actually replaced it with Audacious.

Mayou

playing again with dpup487 for editing a lot of pictures

#115 Post by Mayou »

playing again with dpup487 for editing a lot of pictures. Sure this little Puppy will be LTS at home, mainly because it's a pretty one.
MTpaint : replaced it with a version without bug, newer... or older. It's no such important. Generally old pets do what you need, when your are not yet a champion of editing.
Sqlite pet loads, but does not start, no matter, this app is available as add-on in browser, i just take a look at it, but i can do my life without, databases sure are useful, but spreadsheets kill them a long time ago, with Lotus 1.2.3 and clones, so easy to fulfill

Pelo

alsaplayer is perfect in Dpup 487

#116 Post by Pelo »

PPM Multimedia, alsaplayer is perfect in Dpup 487 (artist ant title listed)
Attachments
Alsaplayer.jpg
What a nice desktop !
(64.09 KiB) Downloaded 428 times

musher0

#117 Post by musher0 »

Great! Indeed this Pup is a neglected jewel...
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

DPUP 487 is burned on a CDs at home

#118 Post by Pelo »

DPUP 487 is burned on a CDs at home. that is not the case of all puplets.
But Puppy user is waiting for a new start, that is why puplets released recently are occupying the forum. Many of them will be forgotten as soon as they reach page 2. they are even forgotten by their creator.
So my preferred Puppies are burn in a CD

and the "very very best of" is installed i my old laptop. I must say that is DPUP exprimo squeeze-5.X.3.4.12-SCSI.iso: 138 M that i choose, beside Saluki 023.

The defaut of 'Debian' Puppies is the PPM. Either it does nor work anymore, either dependances are huge, perhaps not useful, but the poor french user does not understand what means most of the dependances descriptions

Pelo

The Jessie project soon will come

#119 Post by Pelo »

waiting for a Debian version being released, i link Dpup 487 to the Wheezy topic here. (sclerosed). The Jessie (Christ) project soon will come, promised by Josejp2424.
Do people really want a Debian version, that is the question ?. Few users are writing about wheezy and Jessy, and those waiting for answers are dead in the waiting room.
"But Jessy himself was broken
Forsaken, almost human
jessy sank beneath your memory like a stone" played the poor canadian singer :? (Christian Musher was his name)
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 10 May 2016, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#120 Post by musher0 »

You're off topic, pelo.
Also, your constant pokes are demotivating me.
So I'll ignore your comments.

Have a nice monologue! :twisted:

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~