Mumble

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
greengeek

#21 Post by greengeek »

Semme wrote:C'mon now :D you couldn't find this?
Actually i couldn't. :oops: I went to the slacko 5.6 and 5.7 threads and followed the download links which gave me a choice of download mirrors. I chose the internode one (for geographic proximity) and the devx's were not listed there - just a README.txt saying that the devx's should be downloaded by using the sfs manager as it was able to distinguish between the PAE and nonPAE versions.

SFR responded to my request in the slacko thread and I have now grabbed the devx from the exact internode webpage that didnt have the devx when I first went there. I must be losing my mind...

I am interested to know how you locate such things - did you follow a link from a murga thread, or some internal PPM/wget process in Puppy itself or do you just have a preferred download site that you always go to? (I never really know how to find trusted sites that contain accurate up-to-date versions of critical files. Seems a bit like a lottery sometimes, especially with the recent ibiblio problems)

Semme

#22 Post by Semme »

No, no rocket science. Go here, scroll to "alternative download sites" and look.

I assure you I'm not the only one that considers ftp.nluug.nl *thee* fastest mirror.

Open either DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS or DISTRO_PET_REPOS and you'll see those used by PPM.
Attachments
pup-nix-us.jpg
(34.18 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

greengeek

#23 Post by greengeek »

Ok, with the devx loaded ldd shows zero 'not found' entries but still gives the 'no version' error for /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8,

So I need to get the source and compile mumble for slacko 5.6 I guess? Or is it the libcrypto file I need to find a new version of?

Semme

#24 Post by Semme »

Two things..

Symlink /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 to /usr/lib >> retry.

Otherwise, Pfind "libcrypto" and export the list to the forum.

==

I suspect Mumble fails because your Slacko libs are newer >> openssl version

Doesn't mean you couldn't have the files it requires alongside..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

greengeek

#25 Post by greengeek »

Code: Select all

/lib/libcrypto.so.0
/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
/lib/libcrypto.so.1
/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/libcrypto.a
/usr/lib/libcrypto.so
/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0
/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7
/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1
/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libcrypto.pc
Thanks for your help with this. I should have mentioned that I am doing this on a modified version of slacko 5.6 which contains openssl v 1.0.1g - so I should reproduce this process on slacko 5.6 original and see if there is any difference.

Semme

#26 Post by Semme »

Hmm, still think'n..

In the meantime, you should update again with these patched versions:

http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackw ... ck14.0.txz

Whether 5.6 shows these I don't know. All the same, they're here.

Semme

#27 Post by Semme »

Which of the *1's* here are REAL files?

Now the 098 shortcuts.. they point toward which.. a real 098 or one of the so1's?

You follow what I'm getting @?

greengeek

#28 Post by greengeek »

Semme wrote:I suspect Mumble fails because your Slacko libs are newer >> openssl version
Ok, what I've done is to go back to the original unmodified Slacko 5.6 and decided to stick with the versions available in the Slacko5.6 PPM. I downloaded Mumble 1.2.3 and all the dependencies (124MB worth!!) and Mumble now works. I was able to view the worldwide servers and connect to one ok. Only trouble is I don't know what to do once I am hooked up to the server :?

When mumble first started it asked me to go through an audio setup routine which checked that mic and speakers were enabled and levels set correctly, and the 'local echo' test sounded really clear, as did the 'speex' voice prompts.

What I want to do next is to go back to Slacko 5.3 and try the pets Phil listed at the beginning of this thread to see if they work ok in that version.

(When I ran mumble in slacko 5.6 I could see in the terminal that mumble was sourcing the openssl 1.0.1e libs which are considered risky, so I'm keen to see if Slacko 5.3 runs mumble ok, as I think 5.3 has the early versions of openssl that are not affected by the heartbleed risk. Next job after that is to see if 5.6 can have it's openssl upgraded and still run mumble successfully.)

Mumble also suggested that the latest version is 1.2.8 available from sourceforge - so that may be worth a look too.

greengeek

#29 Post by greengeek »

Semme wrote:In the meantime, you should update again with these patched versions:
http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackw ... ck14.0.txz.
Just updated Slacko 5.6 with these two openssl packages and mumble still runs and does pick up the new version of openssl (1.0.1i).

Just noticed an error message from mumble telling me that the server I have connected to uses the "opus" codec and that no-one there will be able to hear or speak to me. I guess choices are to add opus codec or use a different server.

greengeek

#30 Post by greengeek »

666philb wrote:can anyone confirm if this is working properly in their puppy? ...please state puppy version or nature of problem
Hi phil, your pets and instructions worked for me on Slacko 5.3 - as you noted it was necessary to load both pets and then also load mesa through the PPM (to get libGLU etc)

I have connected to a few servers and noted some error messages which are obviously relating to which codecs are supported by particular servers. One server said "Unable to find matching CELT codecs with other clients. You will not be able to talk to all users." and another said:
"Server: WARNING: Your client doesn't support the Opus codec the server is switching to, you won't be able to talk or hear anyone. Please upgrade to a client with Opus support"

Some servers gave no such error messages.

Next step for me is to work out how to prove that the voice comms is actually working. There doesnt seem to be a central server with an echo test such as skype has...

666philb

#31 Post by 666philb »

hi greengeek,

celt and opus should hopefully be in slacko's PPM
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Exilian

Mumble issue with Tahrpup 6.0.2 & 6.0.3

#32 Post by Exilian »

Hello, all,

I'm using an old Dell Latitude D620 with ~1g of RAM and a dual booted SCSI hard drive with 55g (40 for windows xp and 15 for puppy).

The dual boot is WinXP and Puppy Tahr 6.0.3 [it still says 6.0.2 but that's due to a layering problem according to 666philb in this forum. I do my research before bothering folks :) ]

Mumble works just fine when booted with Windows but when I use it under Puppy, the window appears when Mumble starts but is empty and unusable. Empty as in it is entirely blank except for the border which says it's mumble. It must be "killed" with the process manager at that point. Will not close.

I used ppm to install it and now it will neither work nor uninstall as I tried both.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I use mumble often (twice a week) for meetings.

Side note: Thanks so much for this great distro, regardless. I've loved it thus far and it's been a joy to use. I hope to become an expert with it ASAP.

Stay well!

Pelo

study that (after translation, the most difficult and boring

#33 Post by Pelo »

Bookmarked, because seems something new . I come back and study that (after translation, the most difficult and boring).
All interesting threads sank in the depth of this forum, dealing no more about what Puppy is able do do, install is not enough. Puppy must prove it offers fun to people
Merci for Mumble, that is the kind of things i am interested in.

smokey01

#34 Post by smokey01 »

Have you tried Psip (Puppy Phone)
http://smokey01.com/help/psip/psip-help.html

Pelo

not yet tried smokey

#35 Post by Pelo »

not yet tried smokey, it's new technology for me, never used before. It will not be easy.
My computer has a buit-in camera too. never tried. In fact i have never tchatted with a computer.