DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#161 Post by fredx181 »

Hi oui,
I have an other problem now. Skype works, but if I remaster the size of the 01-filesystem.squashfs to include the needing apulse:i386 in my base it increase terribly (from actually 395, because of Ted, NtEd, Granule, Merkaartor, Marble, Gramps and Python, etc., to 578 Mb, now after the use of Skype).

That's strange, because the addition of skype module should add only 56 MB (as it is as separate module)
So if xz compressed it should come at a total of around 452 MB.
Calculation based on the total size of your base module + skype module in theory, not tested.

To unload a module from terminal (if loaded during a session):

Code: Select all

loadmodule -d /path/to/modulename.squashfs
Parameter -a for activate (load) and -d for deactivate (unload)
There are right-click menu options with pcmanfm for it, but you removed it if I understood well

apulse;i386 is a very small package btw, so I assumed when you say apulse;i386, you mean the complete skype_apulse.squashfs module.

Please be more clear!

Fred

oui

#162 Post by oui »

Hi Fred

I did see myself, that I did save in the 01-filesystem.squashfs ALL *.squashfs that you did offer us :wink: (devx etc. ...). So is in those just under 600 MB xz squashfs all my Debian system more that complete :D and it start pretty.

perhaps a message in «remasterdog» before copying the system "will you quit and unload some modules? N/y" like the actual message after copying the system would made the remasterdog immediately more user friendly?

all works now very pretty.

as I did update, apt-get did require more ":i386 stuff but as it was for only 10 MB (before squash) I did accept...

but next question: It would probably possible to install in the same way more *:i386 stuff, especially iceape, the last one, to use an i386 release of flashplayer (having under 10 MB size)?

thank you for all your efforts: this Debian version, it is in my eyes a real Debian version, is perfect for normal average users :idea: as I am ...

kind regards

fredx181

#163 Post by fredx181 »

Hi oui,
I did see myself, that I did save in the 01-filesystem.squashfs ALL *.squashfs that you did offer us Wink (devx etc. ...). So is in those just under 600 MB xz squashfs all my Debian system more that complete Very Happy and it start pretty.
Ah, I see, personally I would prefer to keep the separate .squashfs modules as they are, instead having them merged in the remaster, sfs-load one of them if I need, or put it in the the 'live' directory if I would like to load everytime.
That's what they are for, but it's your choice of course.
perhaps a message in «remasterdog» before copying the system "will you quit and unload some modules? N/y" like the actual message after copying the system would made the remasterdog immediately more user friendly?
From RemasterDog GUI info, this line should be clear enough IMO :
If multiple modules are loaded these will be merged into one
but next question: It would probably possible to install in the same way more *:i386 stuff, especially iceape, the last one, to use an i386 release of flashplayer (having under 10 MB size)?
In theory, yes, but there could be conflicting situations, I didn't test much multi-arch.
this Debian version, it is in my eyes a real Debian version, is perfect for normal average users Idea as I am ..
You? Normal? Average? Hmm... :wink:

Good luck,

Fred

fredx181

#164 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

Added to DebianDog64 custom repository:

Palemoon Browser:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/363 ... _amd64.deb

Install with apt-get:

apt-get install palemoon
Description:
Firefox-based, efficient and easy to use web browser
Pale Moon offers selected features and optimizations to maximize
the browser's speed, stability and user experience, while maintaining
compatibility with the thousands of Firefox extensions you have come
to love and rely on.
Pale Moon requires a processor that supports the SSE2 instruction set.
Run /proc/cpuinfo in a terminal, and look for sse2 in the flags to ensure
that your processor supports it.

Probably it will be the default browser in next DD64 iso release.

Fred

oui

#165 Post by oui »

Hi Fred

Next problem (and I hope last problem): How to install xvidcap so that not only the video but also the sound comes and be saved?

Google did not find some adequate package from Debian. I did use a lot of packages of Ubuntu of course :oops: (not really willing: only because the search in Debian did not success...):
xvidcap depends on libavcodec53 (>= 4:0.7-1) | libavcodec-extra-53 (>= 4:0.7-1); however:
Package libavcodec53 is not installed.
Package libavcodec-extra-53 is not installed.
xvidcap depends on libavdevice53 (>= 4:0.7-1) | libavdevice-extra-53 (>= 4:0.7-1); however:
Package libavdevice53 is not installed.
Package libavdevice-extra-53 is not installed.
xvidcap depends on libavformat53 (>= 4:0.7-1) | libavformat-extra-53 (>= 4:0.7-1); however:
Package libavformat53 is not installed.
Package libavformat-extra-53 is not installed.
xvidcap depends on libavutil51 (>= 4:0.7-1) | libavutil-extra-51 (>= 4:0.7-1); however:
Package libavutil51 is not installed.
Package libavutil-extra-51 is not installed.
xvidcap depends on libswscale2 (>= 4:0.7-1) | libswscale-extra-2 (>= 4:0.7-1); however:
Package libswscale2 is not installed.
Package libswscale-extra-2 is not installed.
xvidcap depends on libavcodec-extra-53; however:
They seem don't to harmonise with Debian sound stuff.

It seem to be mainly a problem of sound as xvidcap needs a good Pulseaudio with some utils and the connection at Dbus is also important.

(Xvidcap is know in the Puppy world but I did test divers ones on divers Puplets: no one excepted the one of fabrice works! You can always capture the video but only fabrice did be able to capture the sound :wink: with it!)

Kind regards

fredx181

#166 Post by fredx181 »

Hi oui,
xvidcap depends on libavcodec53 (>= 4:0.7-1) | libavcodec-extra-53 (>= 4:0.7-1); however:
Package libavcodec53 is not installed.
Yes, that doesn't work because it requires different version of libav-tools/ffmpeg dynamically linked.
I found that the version from sourceforge for jaunty is statically linked and works well on 32 bit Debian(dog)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xvidca ... cap/1.1.7/

So, because I like the program (Thanks for mentioning! :) ) I went on compiling and packaging for 64 bit.
deb package:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/363 ... _amd64.deb

Added to the repository, so can be installed with apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install xvidcap
It works well for me recording with sound, default settings from device /dev/dsp, therefore added oss-compat as dependency also.

Nice quality picture and sound.
(for sound I had some trouble to configure it right with alsamixer, but that might be because of my soundcard, hda Intel, ad1981)

Fred

oui

#167 Post by oui »

Hi Fred

I already am a step more:

- xvidcap has 2 important dependencies:

a/ imagemagick, no problem
b/ pulseaudio

- but pulseaudio hat not the right to run as "root"

and on systems where the sound manager works correctly and controls the rights, you can not use pulse audio after installation!

It is the old heritage of Puppy to work without some user (comparable with the old heritage of IBM PC to subdivise the memory in arbitrary areas!)
Attachments
installedPulseAudio.jpg
(55.06 KiB) Downloaded 2743 times

fredx181

#168 Post by fredx181 »

Hi oui,

The xvidcap package I provided in the DD64 repository has absolutely no dependency of pulseaudio.
Please try it, it should work with just alsa, I always try to avoid pulseaudio because I had bad experiences with it.

Edit: Re-uploaded the package because first time I forgot to add symlink to ppm2mpeg.sh script in /usr/local/bin (it's for single frame capture encoding) Fixed!
To reinstall:

apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall xvidcap
Edit: Not exactly true that it just works with alsa, it's recording device is /dev/dsp which is OSS sound capture.
The small dependency "oss-compat" does the trick.
Information from Toni here about making it work for MintPUP (Ubuntu based) it does require pulseaudio:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 555#891555

Fred

oui

#169 Post by oui »

Hi Fred

Thank you very much for your real patience...

DebianDog64 is the first live distro making absolutely ALL that what I will and what I need, including, of course, as you did say in your last message sound in xvidcap: I record sound, of course, but only in extremely poor quality. I suppose that it is not an internal sound capture.

As this job is very important for me actually, I did reinstall Kubuntu stable with divers Ubuntu studios for video, sound, photo etc. to also try it and see the difference (the first difference is I did install about 10 Gb and have only the KDE more! In LazY Pup Unicorn 32 bit, I have the most interesting things of KDE, the version of Slax reused by Jejjy in form of an *.sfs usable in a lot of 32 bit Puppy's, in only 99 Mb!)

Nothing to do to install xvidcap in Kubuntu Willy :x and divers little problems on my laptop (temperature = permanent fan noise, cursor leave a trace on the screen, CLI job opens outside of the screen and you have to move them back into the screen, bad correlation between keyboard layouts and usual keyboard short designations... to much for a distro wishing to be the best at the linux world! DebianDog64 is a lot better else if you don't have some KDE...).

but at the ubuntu forum, I did be made attentive on simply screen recorder as it easy to install in ubuntu willy as all dependencies are acquired:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get simplescreenrecorder
(xvidcap is, of course, really superior because of the easy handling, but the sound...)

kind regards

fredx181

#170 Post by fredx181 »

Hi oui,

I keep it short for now because I'm sick at the moment
I might reply later in more detail.
as you did say in your last message sound in xvidcap: I record sound, of course, but only in extremely poor quality. I suppose that it is not an internal sound capture.
What are you recording from then?
From stereo-mix?
I did that and sounds good to me, maybe you record from microphone.(just a guess)
Again, please provide as much information about what you did as you can.

For stereo-mix I needed to enable "loopback", but that's probably soundcard specific.
See screenshot

Fred
Attachments
stereomix_loopback_capture.jpg
stereo-mix, loopback and capture enabled
(51.51 KiB) Downloaded 2574 times

fredx181

#171 Post by fredx181 »

New DebianDog64-Jessie iso image uploaded:
Iso: DebianDog64-Jessie-openbox-2016-03-20.iso Size: 185MB
Md5sum: DebianDog64-Jessie-openbox-2016-03-20.md5

DEVX: 061-DEVX-DebDog64-Jessie-2016-03-20.squashfs
Locales: 99-locales-DebDog64-2016-03-20.squashfs

Browse DebDog64-Jessie at DropBox

First post link and information updated.

First of all: The DebianDog64 repository has moved to smokey01.com.
Thanks to Toni (saintless), he was so kind to share the webspace with me for the 64-bit DebianDog packages.
http://smokey01.com/saintless/64-bit-DebianDog
Now it's for the custom repository in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://smokey01.com/saintless/64-bit-DebianDog/Packages/ ./
Changes and fixes list and information:

1) ... Add package "rfkill"

apt-get install rfkill
This might be required to soft enable the wifi adapter via frisbee function script /usr/lib/frisbee/func.
See more from William's comment here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 240#877240
2) ... Add small package "cpufrequtils"

apt-get install cpufrequtils
Useful included utilities:
- cpufreq-info. to get frequency info
- cpufreq-set, to set e,g. governor to powersave or performance etc... (default is 'ondemand')
It's included in all DebianDog 32 versions, forgot to include in DebianDog64
3) ... Add package "gpart" as it could be useful addition to gparted.

apt-get install gpart
4) ... Upgrade package "frisbee"

apt-get update
apt-get install frisbee
See more here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 313#878313
5) ... Fix and add some scripts: cowsave (fix, applies only for live-boot v3) remount-rw (add, applies only for live-boot v3, (was missing) )
6) ... Install new package 'sfsload' and upgrade of package 'portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse'

apt-get update
apt-get install sfsload
apt-get install portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse
See for more info here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 996#878996
7) ... Replace Ubuntu version of package libxml2 with the official Debian
For now; (may be upgraded to higher version in the future)

apt-get install libxml2=2.9.1+dfsg1-5+deb8u1 
8] ... The small included package "transmission" (gtk2-based) conflicts with the official Debian version.
When trying to install the Debian version the package manager refuses because of some files existing with the same name.
Upgrade to the fixed DD64 package:

apt-get update
apt-get install transmission-2.60
9) ... Fix for loading encrypted save file when using porteus-boot (using live-boot-3 works well)
Problem is with USB keyboard. Not possible to type the password as the module hid_generic is not loaded at this point (keyboard not enabled)
Fixed with new initrd1.xz
10) ... Add full LZ4 support, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 453#888453
11) ... Packages upgraded for LZ4 support are: apt2sfs, remaster-scripts, edit-sfs-pcmanfm, squashfuse, squashfs-tools.
12) ... Package 'DogRadio' upgrade to 0.0.6 with some small improvements
13) ... Package 'openbox-light' upgrade to v 0.0.7, added keyboard shortcut presets.
14) ...Added new package 'porteusbootscripts'. Scripts for working together with porteus-boot options, these scripts are default already included in ISO, updated script in new package is /usr/bin/snapmergepuppy
The change in snapmergepuppy will prevent/fix possible crashing when upgrading libc6 (in case porteus-boot save-on-exit option used)
15) ... Bugfix: replace the currently installed "wget" package with version 1.15-1+b1

apt-get update
apt-get install wget=1.15-1+b1
This solves a problem with "certificate not found" e.g. when installing package flashplugin-nonfree
16) ... Install new packages: f2fs-tools (for f2fs filesystem support) and flashplayerchoice
17) ... *** New *** ... f2fs filesystem support., modified initrd1.xz and initrd.img
As far as I know there's no bootloader that boots directly from f2fs, but anyway now it's possible to use a separate f2fs formatted partition to have the save storage on.
18] ... Default WebBrowser changed to Palemoon
Because of that (and some more cleaning) the size of the ISO became a lot smaller than before :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added new to DebianDog64 repository (also as an attempt to synchronize a bit more with DebianDog 32bit version repository):
- ceni, A Curses user interface for configuring network interfaces with ifupdown.
- yad-splash, graphical yad message utility.
- findnrun, a gtk-dialog based application finder and starter for freedesktop.org desktop application files.
- grub4dosconfig, Grub4DosConfig GUI script from Shinobar written for Puppy linux.
- slimjet, Slimjet is a fast, smart and powerful web browser based on the Blink engine
Modified for to run also as root (no sandbox)
- sfsload Replacement of scripts loadmodule and loadsfs
- Palemoon Browser Firefox-based, efficient and easy to use web browser
- flashplayerchoice Small utility for installing/removing flashplayer
- xvidcap A screen capture enabling you to capture videos off your X-Window desktop

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 21 Mar 2016, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#172 Post by dancytron »

Excellent. Downloading it now.

I'll do my normal configuration with it and report back.

edit:

Ok, done. Everything worked fine. Posting from it now.

To summarize:

-Switched to rox based desktop. Made some other little config changes that I always do.

apt-get install lxterminal mesa-utils  libgl1-mesa-dri firmware-linux-nonfree libva1 libva-x11-1 libva-tpi1 rar xine-ui usbutils gksu
Then installed the latest version of Chrome straight off the website.

Then uninstalled Palemoon.

Added script from before to run Chrome as user puppy from inside root account.

Then remastered as xz type. Remastered file turned out to be 219 Mb.

Great work.

oui

#173 Post by oui »

dancytron

#174 Post by dancytron »

I wanted to enable the login for DD64. The Jessie 32 thread said to download slim. The link went to a 386 version. So I installed slim from the Debian Repo instead.

Seems to work and I am able to log in as root or as puppy. There was nothing in the menu though and no *.desktop file in /usr/shared/applications.

Slim was already enabled in the start up utility. I also enabled sudo in the start up utility.

I was not able to figure out how to exit back to the console. When I choose exit off the menu, it logs out and goes back to the slim login screen. If someone knows how to do that off the top of their heads, please let me know. No urgency, I am just playing around.

edit: Okay, I figured it out. When you are at the slim login page, just type exit into the user name. That will cause you to exit to the console. Then, when you want to go back to X, just type "slim", which will bring the slim login page back again.

edit again: When you go to console by typing "exit" in the user name, it sends you to the console logged in as root (which kind of defeats the purpose of locking it down). To fix that, simply change the default autologin to puppy as explained here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 601#850601. Then, type "sudo slim" at the console to get back to slim login screen.

Pelo

i let them finish the job

#175 Post by Pelo »

"Seems to work and I am able to log in as root or as puppy. There was nothing in the menu though and no *.desktop file in /usr/shared/applications".
i was decided to take a glance at the hungarian version, but 'nothing in the menu" makes it useless, unless i am a developer , what i am not. I download ISO in spite of my doubts of non linuxian graduate.
Debian Puppies are starting from zero, let them finish the job.
"So I compiled latest kernel 4.4.0-rc8 with the aufs patches.
This it not at all "pure" Debian, that's why stated above: "Experimental"
"
If it was a real Puppy, it coud not be a pure Debian
What do you want ; a puppy with Debian packages or a Debian running fast in RAM ? DebianDog 64 will do it !
SOS sent on facebook Puppy, help from Amiral Nilson (Morales) could arrive soon on the forum.
Attachments
debiandog.jpg
European should help, adding applications from PPM should be easy to do, but it is not.
(65.31 KiB) Downloaded 2297 times

fredx181

#176 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Dan,
Seems to work and I am able to log in as root or as puppy. There was nothing in the menu though and no *.desktop file in /usr/shared/applications.
I understand you mean there's nothing in the menu to enable slim or something?
edit again: When you go to console by typing "exit" in the user name, it sends you to the console logged in as root (which kind of defeats the purpose of locking it down). To fix that, simply change the default autologin to puppy as explained here:
Thanks, didn't know about "exit"

Probably for what you want it's best to disable autologin in /etc/inittab, change this:

1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f root tty6 </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
#1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
To:

#1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f root tty6 </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
And then if you want autologin edit /etc/slim.conf e.g.:
default_user puppy
and
auto_login yes

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#177 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Pelo,

This thread is for DebianDog - Jessie 64-bit, not for Stretch.
Sorry for possibly misleading anyone by sharing a experimental Stretch version at some point.
It's Jessie I will maintain here, so let's focus on that.
i was decided to take a glance at the hungarian version, but 'nothing in the menu" makes it useless,
There is no hungarian version.
You might have understood 'nothing in the menu" as: "the menu is empty", which is probably not what Dancytron meant.

Btw, I'm curious, did you even try it? Or you just like to write some comments here and there.

I'd suggest you better think before writing a reply otherwise people might not take you serious anymore.

Fred

dancytron

#178 Post by dancytron »

My reply in red
fredx181 wrote:Hi Dan,

I understand you mean there's nothing in the menu to enable slim or something?

Yes, the instructions in the Jessie thread seemed to indicate there would be a menu entry to turn slim on and off. The version I used didn't have that.
Thanks, didn't know about "exit"

Probably for what you want it's best to disable autologin in /etc/inittab, change this:

1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f root tty6 </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
#1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
To:

#1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f root tty6 </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
And then if you want autologin edit /etc/slim.conf e.g.:
default_user puppy
and
auto_login yes

Fred
Okay, I'll give that a try when I have a chance.

Pelo

But for users, Puppy is wonderful.

#179 Post by Pelo »

I run Debiandog64 In virtual machine last Night. The problem with Porteus is no pupsaves (one pupsave by session).
If Puppy returns to Porteus, it's not a step forward, but backward.
Loading the distro is very long time, slow,
Black screen. I gave up.
What the advantage on Puppy ? Puppy is largely better. That's the reason why we use it..
That was just a try... Puppy is not difficult enough, for developers, that is the truth.
ISO Used :
DebianDog64-Jessie-openbox-2016-03-20.iso: 185 M

mcewanw

Re: But for users, Puppy is wonderful.

#180 Post by mcewanw »

Pelo wrote:
That was just a try... Puppy is not difficult enough, for developers, that is the truth.
I think it is more to do with what you are used to Pelo. My partner, who is qualified in accounting but not in any way a computer specialist, uses and likes DebianDog a lot (currently 32bit version). Puppy has its own way of doing things compared to most distributions, so from a developer's point of view there is actually a bit of a learning curve getting used to creating and handling dotpets. DebianDog, on the other hand, uses the well tried apt package manager, which has Synaptics GUI for those users who prefer not to use commandline. Puppy is easy enough to use, so is DebianDog - it is sometimes difficult to find and install larger programs on Puppy because no-one has created dotpet or dotpet is too old (even sometimes the case with small programs actually). DebianDog has advantage for users there - pretty much every program known is available just by point and click install - so not much for developers to do there actually...

Why DD64 didn't work on your virtual machine I couldn't say - but you should post more details if you truly want to see it working, which I'm sure it could.

William
github mcewanw