Banksy 3 - aka "The Personator"

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
greengeek

Banksy 3 - aka "The Personator"

#1 Post by greengeek »

(Updated 2014 Dec 12)

EDIT : ** Note** the Banksy3 "Personator" version saves limited personalisations. However the "Impersonator" version requested by Sylvander has much broader ability to save all personalisations. If you need the "impersonator" version please see towards the end of this first post.

EDIT 2019: RickGT351 has posted a link to a good slacko repository which can be handy for locating software compatible with banksy3 - see his comment here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 32#1045032

Banksy 3 (aka "The Personator") is aimed at users who want a puppy with the following characteristics:

- easily personalised.
- retains personalisations without having a savefile.
- user does not need to understand remastering to remember personal settings!
- resistant to online nasties as the code is unchanged and always fresh at each boot.
- no passwords retained.
- no history retained.
- intended to reduce risks from online usage. Don't use Windows for online banking!
- plenty of wallpaper choices (including the ability to add users own image file)
- primarily intended for CD or DVD boot to ensure code integrity. (Can be installed as frugal if desired)
- safe for Puppy first timers as it cannot write to ntfs (in default mode)
- show your friends how they can easily get online with a personalised Puppy CD or DVD without knowing anything about remastering.

This is a great way to recycle a PC or laptop that has a dead Windows install, or even a machine that has no operating system or hard disk at all. Turn a $50 laptop into a running machine booting from a personalised CD.
Burn a CD for each of your friends to use in emergencies.
All without remastering!

NOTE - the inbuilt automatic personalisation routines probably require a minimum of 768MB. My testing has been done on 1GB and 2GB machines.
(On lower ram machines it may be possible to run the personalisation manually using the routines in /root/isolator)

What does Banksy3 ("personator" version) remember?

1) "Quicksetup" parameters:
- Language / locale
- Keyboard type
- Timezone
- Hostname

2) Wifi parameters - as set up via sns ("simple network setup").

3) Browser bookmarks, homepage, security settings etc.

4) Desktop background image / wallpaper. (Allows choice from several existing images, or the addition of extra personalised images)

5) Singleclick or doubleclick preference.

6) Touchpad (flsynclient) settings.

7) Leafpad settings (wordwrap etc)

8) Any "user extras" that are stored in /opt/b3user. This can be .pets, documents, images, audio etc etc that the user wants to have available within a personalised puppy.

Also incorporates the following:

- Ability to burn new banksy3generic.iso CD or DVD with single click ease.
- Ability to burn new banksy3personalised.iso CD or DVD with single click ease
- Ability to create new generic iso or personalised iso for HDD use if CD/DVD version is not desired.
- Screen brightness utilities can be found in /opt/b3payload. (As well as up/down controls in the task bar). Different PCs require different methods so several options are included.
- Mochi Moppels 'terminal copy' modification. This allows the user to copy data from a terminal by using the Shift+Ctrl+c shortcut.
- Mochi Moppels 'PPM download only' mod for saving packages (first version)
- SFRs "Take-a-Shot" utility for image capture. Also permits animated gif capture of desktop activity.
- rcrsn51s "peasyglue"
- pupmd5 (01micko/shinobar/don570)
- Addition of "xbatalarm" to sound a warning if the battery is running low.
- Replacement version of "vattery" to improve system tray battery icon function.
- Shinobars "dir2iso"
- Updated pMusic
#- Updated SSL
#- Updated Bash
#- Updated wget
- Pmount hidden to avoid unintended mounting/deletion of partitions by inexperienced user.
- Drive icons disabled to prevent accidental access/deleting of offline data. (still accessible to experienced users)
- NTFS mounting locked to 'Read Only' to minimise risk to existing Windows partition.
- Provision of a variety of shutdown options ("traffic lights" on desktop) including "killdown" which permits more or less instantaneous shutdown during live session as a timesaver.
- /opt/b3payload includes "PeasyWifi 3.3" .pet in case some users have 'sns' problems and wish to try an alternative. Not yet installed as the user should refer to the forum thread for details of best usage.
- "Ipinfo" default external IP check disabled.
- Other apps include:
xdotool

Download link : Updated Dec 12 ("Personator" version)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/t2zh1 ... ric_01.iso
md5= 03e3ba185e45a530c6b519adc11a1c27

Banksy 3 / Personator 3 is based on Slacko 5.6 which is available here
Slacko 5.6 devx available here

"impersonator" version:
EDIT : I have made an alternative (experimental) version available here in response to Sylvanders request to save ALL changes rather than a select few. I call it "b3 Impersonator" as it effectively "clones" your setup.

Extra info for Banksy 3 (Personator):

Tips:
-
EDIT 2019: RickGT351 has posted a link to a good slacko repository which can be handy for locating software compatible with banksy3 - see his comment here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 32#1045032

Known bugs:
-

Possible future additions for next version:
(Please also look at next post down for versions incorporating some of these additions already)
- Add virtual keyboard eg: xvkbd - to frustrate keyloggers (mikeslr)
- Extend the list of functions in the 'distillor' script which determines what is transferred across to the personalised version.
- Possibly allow some method to remove generic, personator, singleclick and doubleclick icons to be removed from the desktop in the personalised version if user chooses. (mikeslr)
- Add some method to allow personalisation function to be locked out or passworded (mikeslr)
- Add Freeoffice {Now added to b3skype version. I will add to some other versions too. About extra 50MB though}
- Add Truecrypt and/or Tomb or similar to allow stored data to be encrypted. (mikeslr)
- Fork a 'kiosk' version that has Gparted and pmount completely removed to increase lockdown for all users (rather than just protecting new users and Windows refugees from basic mistakes)
- Find way to force pburn to default to its slowest speed for normal burn functions. (mikeslr)
- Add RSH timezone mods so that it can be passed as a boot time option if desired.
- Implement RSH pinterface mod so that interface language can be modified during boot.
- Investigate "peazip" as possible means of storing encrypted data. (mikeslr)
- Make a 'password-protected' version of pmounter so that a user receives a warning dialog and a password request when attempting to use pmount. (raffy)

Revision History:
banksy3generic_01.iso released Dec 12
- fixed incorrect wget symlink causing PPM download problem.

banksy3generic.iso released Dec 8
Attachments
Banksy3Default.jpg
(85.16 KiB) Downloaded 4979 times
Personator3.jpg
(57.84 KiB) Downloaded 4933 times
Last edited by greengeek on Thu 26 Dec 2019, 18:39, edited 23 times in total.

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Special purpose versions:

b3 "impersonator"
I have made an alternative (experimental) version available here in response to Sylvanders request to save ALL changes rather than a select few. I call it "b3 Impersonator" as it effectively "clones" your setup.

b3Libre
This version is somewhat weighty at 459MB but I use it as my daily driver - it contains LibreCad (which I use for all sorts of technical drawing) and LibreOffice, as well as having a printer installer for some Brother MFC models that are my favourite -all-in-one printer/scanner. It also has both Firefox (an old stable version) and Google Chrome so it handles the modern internet well.

It also has one other really important function built in - the "impersonator" script which collects all of your personalisations and offers to burn a new iso to CD, DVD or to a personal sfs file which can be substituted into a frugal installation if you have already set up a copy of b3Libre on disk or usb.
NOTE : Because of it's size and the ability to grab all of the changes/personalisations you have made to your Puppy it will be necessary to have a "swap" partition available before running the impersonator script. I have a usb stick made up for this purpose - I used Gparted to format the stick with one large "linux-swap" partition on it. Either boot with that stick in (so puppy grabs the swap partition automatically) or use terminal to "swap on sdxy" when you plug the stick in after boot.

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oemdx4f02 ... eneric.iso
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jw06gyxbe ... so-md5.txt

b3skype ***Now no longer functional***
This version contains my skype42/43 combo pet (runs with alsa and does not need pulseaudio), Softmaker Freeoffice 2012 (full version 697 including lots of dictionary locales), and peebees DRM pet to allow Firefox to stream "delayed TV" websites that require DRM. Firefox also has the usual download button for youtube videos. I have also added the ability for the alsamixer settings to be retained in the personalised version, so that record and playback volumes are remembered (helpful for skype and mhwaveedit etc).

Other than that it allows all the other 'b3' personalisations as normal (referred to above and in previous 'banksy' threads).

It's quite weighty at approx 320MB but I find it a nice complete pup that satisfies all my online (and most of my offline) needs.
Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/xrm26 ... eneric.iso
md5: 4fbd1a42f4794b8a81b5dfbf712f5921

Notes:
1) In order to use Freeoffice you must have an activation code from Softmaker - (free of charge). This activation code is remembered by the 'personator' script.
2) If you use the 'personator' routine to build the new iso you will need to have at least 1gig ram. (If you have less ram you will need to use the scripts in /root/isolator to do it manually)
3) Skype details are deliberately not retained by the personator script - by requiring fresh login each time it avoids any issues with credentials expiry on the skype server.
Start skype as follows:
- Click 'skypelogin' in the internet menu.
- You'll get 45 seconds during which time you must do the following:
-- agree to the skype terms
-- enter your username and password
-- tick the 'log me in each time skype starts' (tiny checkbox visble at bottom of login screen when you enter your username/password)
- click 'login'

Skype 4.3 will log you in and display your contacts, then at the end of the 45 seconds it will close down and automatically login Skype 4.2 (which will run with alsa instead of needing pulseaudio as 4.3 does)
Last edited by greengeek on Thu 26 Dec 2019, 18:45, edited 8 times in total.

ally

#3 Post by ally »

Last edited by ally on Thu 08 Nov 2018, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

Puppus Dogfellow

#4 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mirrored here as well.

must be pretty popular, greengeek. i don't remember my download last week of version two taking nearly as long.

:)

slavvo67

#5 Post by slavvo67 »

This one looks interesting. Downloading now.... Just hoping it doesn't come with Arnold's ugly face. LOL

Best,

Slavvo67

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

Thanks for the mirroring guys.
Downloading now.... Just hoping it doesn't come with Arnold's ugly face. LOL
Plenty of wallpaper choices in there. Nothing wrong with old Arnie though..!
:-)
(and you can also add your own wallpaper into /usr/share/backgrounds/personal)

greengeek

#7 Post by greengeek »

My apologies - wget is broken and PPM cannot find packages
Please hold off on downloading till I upload new version. I will advise when done.
Really sorry about this...
:oops:

EDIT - resolved Dec 12 - new download link

greengeek

#8 Post by greengeek »

New download link added to first post

- Resolved missing symlink which was causing wget connection failure when trying to download new packages via PPM.
- Added pupmd5 to rightclick menu (01micko/shinobar/don570)

New download is banksy3generic_01.iso

Puppus Dogfellow

#9 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

greengeek wrote:New download link added to first post

- Resolved missing symlink which was causing wget connection failure when trying to download new packages via PPM.
- Added pupmd5 to rightclick menu (01micko/shinobar/don570)

New download is banksy3generic_01.iso
mirrored (earlier one removed).

greengeek

#10 Post by greengeek »

Thanks P.D - much appreciated.

mikeslr

Easy Encryption Technique

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi greengeek,

As I tend to be haunted by unresolved problems until a solution is found, from time to time the question of a user being able to encrypt sensitive data while running banksy kept re-emerging. I think I've found an almost perfect solution; or at least a solution unless and until something better is developed.
Since protecting sensitive data is a question not confined to banksy, but arises whichever version of Puppy is used, I've posted about it in detail here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 424#815424.

However, the gist of the solution is:

(1) Include Asterisk's peazip in banksy. I tested it and it works.
(2) Either have no menu entry; or a camouflaged one. Probably the former. peazip can be started by typing "peazip" --without the quotes in a terminal. It may be possible to rename that binary without breaking peazip. I haven't tried, yet.
(3) Peazip enables various compression and encryption techniques, including the use of AES256 encryption of a "pea" archive. [Including/Adding files and folders to an archive is easy].
(4) Only peazip was able to "unzip" an encrypted pea archive.
(5) The symbol/icon of a pea archive looks exactly like that of a "binary", but its name has a ".pea" suffix. If the archive is renamed by deleting that suffix, not even peazip can open it --until the archive is renamed to include that suffix.

Of course, to even open or store an archive from an already personated version of banksy, access to storage media only becomes available after a terminal call to the mounting application.

[Perhaps if peazip's binary can be renamed, we could associate the two necessary commands: name the first mac, and the second gyver. :lol: ].

I tested peazip as an SFS loaded on the fly onto banksy. I'll see how easy it will be to include by remastering your SFS. Once I unpack your SFS into a directory, I can keep it to explore other edits. So I'll also test whether the command to invoke peazip can be changed without breaking things.

I suggest that you have testers and early users of banksy try its scanning and printing modules. Creating encrypted files shouldn't be the only way for a user to preserve data, especially while running banksy while "on the road."

The holiday season is upon us. The spirits of other unfinished projects may haunt me. So if I don't have a later chance to may

I wish You & All,

A Happy Holiday & Peace.

mikesLr

greengeek

#12 Post by greengeek »

Thanks Mike - I've now added "peazip" to the list of updates for next version. Scanning and printing are on my 'backburner' list of things to work on later too - it's just that they are very specific to scanner/printer model and I need to clearly identify exactly which directories to grab to ensure the correct configuration and driver files are brought across. Also need to understand cups better. That one is a job for long cold indoor winter days.

(currently working on improving browser drm functionality on "TV replay" websites - almost sorted)

Many thanks for testing!

greengeek

#13 Post by greengeek »

I have now completed the 'TV replay' version (thanks to peebees drm pet) and included this along with skype (alsa version) and 'full locale' version of Softmaker Freeoffice in "b3skype".

I have added this to the second post at the start of the thread here. I will be adding further special purpose versions there as i finish testing them.

raffy

can't save

#14 Post by raffy »

Can't save my file to hard disk! For you, maybe that's good news. 8)

When I try to mount a drive, maybe a dialog should pop up that says "To be sure that you know what you are doing, type the Puppy password" and I will then type "woofwoof" and live happily ever after. :oops:
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

greengeek

Re: can't save

#15 Post by greengeek »

raffy wrote:Can't save my file to hard disk!
Hi raffy, the way to save to hard disk is to manually enter the command 'pmounter' in a terminal. I have set it this way so that new users (and Windows refugees) don't damage their existing hard drive data through inexperience and wild clicking.

Also, as an extra protection I have locked out the ability to write to ntfs partitions. The user can still read their files from ntfs without restriction.

Are you wanting to write to ntfs? I could make a version that allows this (or I can explain how to temporarily get around the restriction...)
When I try to mount a drive, maybe a dialog should pop up that says "To be sure that you know what you are doing, type the Puppy password" and I will then type "woofwoof" and live happily ever after.
Good suggestion. I will add that to my list of features for future versions.

Sylvander

#16 Post by Sylvander »

1. Now posting from within my personalized version of Banksy3.
FABULOUS! :D
Everything was so easy to do.
"Just worked".

2. Oops, spoke too soon.
Some personalizations not working.
e.g.
a. I installed Xfe, and it's showing in "Menu->Filesystem", but won't run when clicked there.
Entering xfe command in a terminal window produces "bash: xfe: command not found".
b. I configured PPM "Classic" interface, but that isn't displayed when I run PPM.
Forced to choose it each time I run PPM.

3. Personalizations that ARE working:
a. Installed WINE.
That is functioning just fine.
Was able to use "pmounter" command to mount my Flash Drive that holds "Acerose Password Vault" [APV], then run APV and use it to go to my banking website and log in.
That alone makes this a GO-er.
I can now use it as my number-1 online banking Puppy.
Now I'm wondering: "for what else can I use Banksy3".
Its simple remastering process seems so useful.
Suggestions welcomed.
b. Various configurations using "quicksetup" and "Menu->Desktop->Nathan Wallpaper Setter" worked just fine.

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

Sylvander wrote:Some personalizations not working.
Hi Sylvander, many thanks for trying banksy 3.
In terms of personalisations banksy works completely the opposite way to other puppies:

- Normal pups save almost every change (good or bad) that has been made to the system, with a few minor exceptions (special directories).
- By contrast banksy 3 is designed to reject all changes, with the exception of a few specific system changes that I have decided are critical to set up banksy on its first run the way the user wants it to be. These changes are only remembered at the time the "personator" scripts are run - ie you only run them once, the "remembering" does not occur at every shutdown as a puppy is normally set to do by default.

Of course there is a downside to these "selected" personalisations - I don't have any idea what changes other users might want to remember permanently on their systems - I have only set it up to satisfy my own needs.

However - if a user needs to include other specific personalisations there are several ways that a user can do so at the time they run the personator scripts to build the personal sfs file. Here are a couple:

1) If you use a text editor to have a look at the script /root/isolator/1-b3distillor you will see exactly what I have chosen to "remember" at the time that the personalisation script is run. Modifying this script prior to running the personator script will allow new personalisations to be included.

In your case you may wish to modify the script to include any Wine config files in the data that is collected at personalisation time.
(Just remember that the changes to that script are only valid while your system is running and the file exists in memory. As soon as you shutdown or reboot the changes to that file are lost - that is part of how I intend banksy to work. This is normally fine as you only want to run the personalisations once).

2) If you don't wish to modify the b3distillor script there is another way to achieve the same thing. The scripts in /root/isolator allow the personalisation routines to be run manually one at a time. Here is a summary of what happens:

a) Set up your system according to first run etc, and making other changes (if you want) that are described in the "HowTo" file on the desktop.
b) Run the /root/1-b3distillor script and it will create the directory /tmp/banksydistillor (and automatically populate it with the basic personalisations)
- this directory will be used in the next step where we create the new personalised sfs - but before we do that we can add other files manually into that directory. This is where you may wish to add Wine config files wherever they need to be (maybe /tmp/banksydistillor/root?), or add other program files (into /tmp/banksydistillor/usr/bin for example), or even add some pets, sfs files or other miscellaneous stuff as a "user payload" into /tmp/banksydistillor/opt/b3user (this is a special "holding pen" for stuff you may want to access occasionally from within your running system but can't be bothered remastering into the main sfs or don't wish to access from a mounted storage for security reasons)
c) When you have set up the changes you want then you can run /root/isolator/2-b3compressor and it will convert the distillor directory into your personalised sfs.
Once that is done you can simply graft that personalised sfs into your HDD frugal or usb frugal installation or continue with the /root/3-b3isolator script if you wish to create a full .iso file.
If you go down the iso creation route you can then run either /root/isolator/4-b3cdcreator or 4-b3dvdcreator depending on what kind of optical media you want to burn (make sure you put the media into the optical drive first).
a. I installed Xfe, and it's showing in "Menu->Filesystem", but won't run when clicked there.
Entering xfe command in a terminal window produces "bash: xfe: command not found".
b. I configured PPM "Classic" interface, but that isn't displayed when I run PPM.
Forced to choose it each time I run PPM.
Yep, these are all things I didnt include. I don't use xfe (yet) and seldom make any changes to themes or general appearance (other than desktop background) so I haven't tried to include that sort of stuff. I've just gone for the basics.
Now I'm wondering: "for what else can I use Banksy3".
Its simple remastering process seems so useful.
Suggestions welcomed.
The sky's the limit. Once you feel comfortable with how to graft new personalisations in you can add whatever you like. One thing I like to do is to make .pets of my favourite programs (pdf editors, librecad, printer drivers, alternative browsers etc etc etc) and load them as required. After I shut down the installed pets are lost from memory and my basic personalised banksy comes back fresh as a daisy next boot. This is a real bonus when I try out pets that are faulty or badly made - any problems they cause are only temporary rather than getting grafted into a savefile.
I keep my favourite pets on an external usb (or wherever my frugal install is) and just access them via pmounter as needed.

EDIT : I feel the need to add one more comment - although this might seem confusing till you get familiar with the process I described above:
- it is important to realise that the b3personator icon on the desktop only ever allows the collection of the personalisations specified in the /root/1-b3distillor file.
This means that if you use the manual process above to create a highly personalised version of b3 you will not be able to create a cloned version of that puppy by using the b3personator icon.
The b3personator icon can only ever clone all of your personalisations if they have all been harvested through being specified in the /root/1-b3distillor script.

If you have used the manual method to add the personalisations and you wish to make multiple copies of the outcome you are probably best to go the whole hog and produce a complete iso file so that you can burn as many CDs as you like. (The iso can be created by sequentially using all four of the scripts found in /root/isolator)
(What I am saying is that if you use the manual process to extend the personalisation you have to forget about the personator icon - it is only designed to help newbies grab a specific subset of basic personalisations)

One more thing - if you do decide to modify the /root/1-b3distillor file keep a backup copy of it on external storage. It will disappear from memory after each boot (as it never becomes part of the main banksy3 sfs unless you remaster it in there). You may find over time that your modifications to the distillor script allow you to harvest the perfect set of personalisations for your needs and you will find it handy to have a record of what you did last time rather than re-inventing the wheel each time you make a newly personalised b3

Hope I haven't lost you with all the blurb!

ps: I try to avoid remastering the main banksy sfs as I don't like to have multiple different versions of that sfs. If the name doesn't change then I feel the contents shouldn't change either. That's the whole point of adding a personal sfs - you can change the name of it to reflect it's contents, or it's creation date etc etc.

Last edited by greengeek on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 18:42, edited 5 times in total.

Pelo

Nice idea, a ready for use Puppy, newbies will like it !

#18 Post by Pelo »

Nice idea, a ready for use Puppy, newbies will like it !
Banksy 3 had passed through my casting. Thank you to issue such OS, for our large but Linux ignorant public
Insert the CD, all what they need. :)

Sylvander

#19 Post by Sylvander »

@ greengeek

1. My latest news:
a. I booted my latest personalized version of my CD-RW burned originally using the "banksy3generic_01.iso", intending to use it for online banking.

b. Discovered that no WINE was included, although I had installed it prior to clicking the "b3personator" icon and remastering.
Hence I was forced to [yet again] install WINE prior to doing the necessary to bain access to the "Acerose Password Vault" [APV] on my Flash Drive.
It's ESSENTIAL that WINE is available once at the b3 desktop, without the necessity of installing it each time b3 is booted.
SO...

c. I attempted to read and understand your [what seem to me to be] detailed [and for me, difficult to grasp] explanations/instructions.
I don't think I'll manage to complete your instructions.
e.g.

2. "The b3personator icon can only ever clone all of your personalisations if they have all been harvested through being specified in the /root/1-b3distillor script."
Understood.
My problem is that I don't believe I have the ability to successfully modify the [content of the] /root/isolator/1-b3distillor script file.

3. "2) If you don't wish to modify the b3distillor script there is another way to achieve the same thing. The scripts in /root/isolator allow the personalisation routines to be run manually one at a time."
Understood, BUT...
I believe that even though using this method, it would still be necessary for me to edit the /root/isolator/1-b3distillor script file, which I'm incapable of doing.
Or have I misunderstood?
Any chance you could do the necessary for WINE [and Xfe?] and upload a copy of the modified file for downloading by me [and others?]

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

I will try. Are you able to post links to the versions of Wine and xfe packages that you found compatible?
Cheers