#41 Post by backi »

Hi Folks !
Why i cant'nt make slimjet running .
Using tahrpup 6.0.5 .

Loading Slimjet sfs .

In terminal:
root#flashpeak-slimjet
root#aborted

Tried in Puppy Precise ......also .. no luck .
What's the trick ?

OscarTalks

#42 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello backi,

With my modified packages if starting from terminal use the command slimjet

Alternatively you do get a menu entry which should work or a .desktop file with icon in /usr/share/applications which you can drag onto your desktop and rename.

Or are you saying that this version doesn't work but an earlier one did?
Could it be that your hardware is not supported?
It runs OK for me on various test machines.
Oscar in England

backi

#43 Post by backi »

Thanks Oscar ...
But earlier Version did not work .
Started with Terminal :
slimjet
aborted

Destop icon in /usr/share/application exists ...

Running an older Toshiba 3000 Satellite .
Intel Celeron M .

So seems workingn out of the box for most of the people here .
Maybe ....as you stated.... has to do with Hardware .

O.K ......Thanks for your reply Oscar.

Sylvander

#44 Post by Sylvander »

Slacko-5.7.0-pae->slimjet-9.0.0.0-slack14.0.sfs is loading and running OK on my desktop PC. :D

backi

#45 Post by backi »

Hi Sylvander !

The Slack sfs did the job !

Strange ...is'nt it ?
Thanks !

Mike Walsh

#46 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, Oscar.

Now have the SlimJet Precise, Tahr & Slacko 9.0.0.0 packages running on all Pups in my sig. No problems to report so far.

I am curious about one thing, though. Since Google have now officially dropped 32-bit Chrome, where's the incentive for Adobe to continue maintaining & developing 32-bit Pepper? You can't get hold of it for Chrome through the normal channels...

Ah, well; ours not to reason why, I suppose. I'm not questioning it, anyway; I know at least one other person who'll be pleased to get hold of the newest version...!

Cheers.

Mike. :wink:

Sylvander

#47 Post by Sylvander »

"The Slack sfs did the job !"
Nice one. :D

OscarTalks

#48 Post by OscarTalks »

Slimjet 9.0.1.0
Only adds support for video backgrounds on the new tab page. Just decorative bling rather than functionality but maybe some people like all that.

@ backi
The slack version has --disable-namespace-sandbox which Slacko needs but which I thought was not needed in the deb versions but maybe in some types of hardware it is needed so I have added it to all versions. Perhaps you would like to try the precise and tahr versions again in your machine when you have a few moments?
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB
Oscar in England

backi

#49 Post by backi »

Hi Oscar Talks !
Tried it .... but i have to say ...Slimjet is'nt my cup of tea .

I am highly satisfied with Palemoon ......can't be beat ...
....in my opinion .

Cheers !

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Oscar.

Some information for you. Following the NetFlix testing for Chromium, like I said, I would love to get it up-and-running in SlimJet.

Accordingly, I've done the following:-

In SlimJet 9.0.0, I've copied over the WideVine modules from your Chrome 48.0.2564.97 (the last 32-bit Chrome we're going to get), checked in 'chrome://flags' (actually 'slimjet://flags') to see if 'Encrypted Media Extensions' was enabled by default (it was), then started SlimJet, and gave NetFlix a whirl.

Usually, what happens when I select a movie, or whatever, is that it goes straight to the error page. On this occasion, I got the red 'spinner' in the centre of the black screen, followed by the 'show' page for the movie, as though it was about to start playing.....and then it goes to the error page. :?

This time, I've made a note of the Error:Code in the bottom left corner of the screen. NetFlix's Help Centre gives the following, for this particular code:-

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/22952

What do you reckon? It's getting further through the process before the error shows, this time, so.....I don't quite know what to make of it.

Do you know if HTML5 support is enabled in SlimJet.....and if so, how do you check for it?

gjuhasz

HTML5 in SlimJet

#51 Post by gjuhasz »

Mike Walsh wrote:Do you know if HTML5 support is enabled in SlimJet.....and if so, how do you check for it?
To check HTML5 spport, visit http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com then click GO.
As I see, the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is not supported yet.

Firefox included this a few weeks ago. The Iron browser can play those videos, too.
In Puli, I use both Iron and SlimJet (for Iron, I borrow the PpperFlash package from SlimJet).

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

OscarTalks

#52 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Mike,

If you untick the setting "force the use of flash player on youtube.com" you will find that youtube is using HTML5 (right click on the player) so I am fairly sure it is enabled. That setting is one of the features that the Slimjet devs added.

Seems crazy that they have Netflix on the speed dial page. Perhaps it works in Slimjet in Windows. Latest version has improved support for NPAPI plugins but I don't think that helps us with this issue. I expect we'll get to the bottom of it before long.

EDIT:- I found this post by Stephen Cheng of FlashPeak on the Slimjet forum posted March 12th 2016
"We don't put in support for the h.264 codec on Linux due to the patent and royalty issue. On Windows, we simply call the codecs shipped with the Windows system to get around that. However, so far, we didn't have the time to add the same kind of workaround on linux by delegating the decoding to external libraries."
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#53 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Oscar.

Yah, that sounds about right; 'patents and royalty issues'.

I've got round that by adding the 'h.264-ify' extension from the Chrome web store. Seems to work okay.

OscarTalks

#54 Post by OscarTalks »

Slimjet version 10.0.5.0 now released.
Based on Chromium 50.0.2661.75
Oscar in England

davids45

Older Full Pups

#55 Post by davids45 »

G'day Oscar,

Thanks for your work in providing Slimjet - it has performed well as a Chrome-replacement browser for me in a range of newer 32-bit Pups.

They're Fulls so each has its own partition.

I run Slimjet (10.0.5.0) by symlinks from a boot-mounted data partition that has the expanded Slimjet in its own directory. My Slimjet profile is also shared out to all the Pups from the data partition.

However, I've a minor problem running Slimjet in a couple of older Pups. The desktop-icon link to flashpeak-slimjet on the data partition won't run. I can only run Slimjet via a terminal which gives several worrying messages before Slimjet starts up (see screenshot of terminal window before and after running Slimjet in OVPrecise58). I'm posting from Slimjet in OVPrecise so Slimjet runs fine after the terminal has its whinge.

How can I set up a desktop icon (script?) to simply run Slimjet without having to open the terminal and enter 'slimjet' in these Pups?

In a couple of even older Pups (SnowPuppies 015 and 016), terminal doesn't run Slimjet and gives a message about GLIBC mismatches:
sh-4.1# cd /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet
sh: cd: /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet: Not a directory
sh-4.1# /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet
/usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.12' not found (required by /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet)
/usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.5' not found (required by /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet)
/usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet)
/usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found (required by /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet)
sh-4.1#
Do you think a LIBPATH script to set a path to the right lib files (if I can find them) would get past this problem?

Thanks for any ideas.

David S.
Attachments
ovprecise58_k3911_starts.jpg
(53.38 KiB) Downloaded 1503 times
ovprecise58_slimjetclosed.jpg
(66.5 KiB) Downloaded 1505 times

Mike Walsh

#56 Post by Mike Walsh »

@davids45:-

David, you have to remember that with both Oscar's and my own packages, most of the sandboxing has had to be removed in order for them to run with Puppy's 'root' model. It's probably not as safe as the full sandboxing, but they are functional. I'm wondering now if it's possible to run them as 'spot' in order to get round that restriction...

Other thing is, it's perfectly normal for pretty much all the Chromium-based browsers to complain when you run them from the terminal. I used to do the same in Ubuntu a while back, just to check things ran OK, and even in a true multi-user system, it still whinges..!

OscarTalks

#57 Post by OscarTalks »

Slimjet packages now updated to 10.0.7.0
As from 10.0.6.0 this 32bit version now ships with Pepper Flash 20.0.0.306 for some reason and there is a mention of a flash issue in the change log so I am a bit puzzled by this.

@davids45
As Mike says, you will usually get some whinges in terminal but the browser does work. I have not tried to make Slimjet run in Puppies with glibc older than 2.13 and although it may be possible I have tried it with Chromium in the past but never had any success so gave up on it. I'm a bit confused if you were asking something else. I would usually use the .desktop file to create a pinboard launcher but if you have some unusual partition configuration I suppose you can do it with a simple script and allocate an icon etc.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#58 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Oscar.
OscarTalks wrote:As from 10.0.6.0 this 32bit version now ships with Pepper Flash 20.0.0.306 for some reason and there is a mention of a flash issue in the change log so I am a bit puzzled by this.
It's not just the 32-bit version. They appear to have done the same with the 64-bit version; instead of 22.0.0.192 they've reverted back to 21.0.0.242...

I've replaced this slightly older version with the current PepperFlash in the 64-bit packages. It appears to play perfectly OK, so I don't really see what was meant by 'flash issues' in the changelog.

Weird.

torgo

Using the .deb packages in Tahr and Tahr64

#59 Post by torgo »

Hi all. Haven't been around for a while and just found this message thread.

I've been using Slimjet in Tahr 6.05 and Tahr64 6.05 and have been loving it.

One note... whenever I've needed to install it, I've just used the .deb files on the Slimjet web site.

At least in Tahr, all you need to do to make it work is go to /usr/share/applications, open the slimjet.desktop file as text (Open With Geany or Open As Text) and add --user-data-dir to the end of the Exec statement found around line 108 of the text file.

(We used to have to do this same trick to make Chrome work in Lucid.)

I personally prefer the menu to list it as "Slimjet browser" instead of "Flashpeak Slimjet", so I also make that change to the Name[en-US] line on line 116 of the text file.

When you're done, save and close the file, and then go to the Puppy main menu and choose Exit -> Rebuild Menu to make it use your updated file.

As others have noted, it takes a little more to make it work in Precise. But in Tahr and Tahr64, simply adding the --user-data-dir has worked for me every time.

Mike Walsh

#60 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, torgo.

Yes, you're right (I've found this myself); both the Tahrs will install many apps/progs direct from the .deb packages.....and they work immediately.

The main reason Oscar and myself have produced SFS packages is because many Puppians like to 'unload' stuff that they're not currently using....it being one of Puppy's features that enables it to work better with old, low-spec hardware. To produce an SFS, you have to have the file structure worked out, as you would for a .pet.....and for that, you have to incorporate more extensive changes that will work with Puppy's 'root-only' model.

That's why half the wrapper-script (which the .desktop file points to) ends up being stripped away. In any Pup other than Tahr (even the 'buntu-based ones like Precise & Lucid), some of the wrapper-script actually interferes with execution of the browser in Puppy.

Incidentally, you can't run SlimJet in Lucid, even if you wanted to.....because the glibc is simply too old for it to function.