DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mcewanw

Re: DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie

#181 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:DebianDog 64 bit version.

=========================================
Edit: 20.03.2016 - New iso image uploaded. List of changes read here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 415#895415
=========================================
Thanks Fred,

I'm downloading it now. Autumn here now so I'll probably have more time soon for DD-related testing.

William
github mcewanw

Pelo

the frog can get bigger, but not so big as the beef

#182 Post by Pelo »

DEbian is not so much the problem. It's a big Linux distribution, it can be used in entreprises by thousand of employees, that makes necessary a lot of controls of security, data entered, updating... as Windows !
When a distro is mono-user, for home servicing, like Puppy everything is lighter.
Packages now are dowloaded from Debian as you tell, but when you dowload one kde application, debian install all KDE, even if only some parts would be enough.
The spirit of big linux is complete install, the spirit of puppy was to select only the just needed. i was a hard job to make pets, made by volunteers,

if packages dowload all dependancies, it's no more worth to build puppies of 130mb size, the first downloads of packages will submerge the poor Puppy.

In conclusion, if people need lighter than Debian, but bigger than Puppy, freedom to them.. the frog can get bigger, but not so big as the beef (Jean de La Fontaine, Pelo's translation) :)

fredx181

#183 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Dan,
I understand you mean there's nothing in the menu to enable slim or something?

Yes, the instructions in the Jessie thread seemed to indicate there would be a menu entry to turn slim on and off. The version I used didn't have that.
Yes, true, I knew there was a slim i386 .deb in the custom repository but totally forgot about the menu entry.

I modified now 64bit version, with menu entry to switch on/off and also when uninstalling slim the "old" automatic login will be restored.
It's newer version number then official Debian so just install with:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install slim
To make it work properly with save-on-exit from console (porteus-boot) I modified /etc/slim.conf, line 6 by adding -novtswitch :

xserver_arguments   -nolisten tcp -novtswitch
The downside is that when you type exit as username (as you mentioned) you need to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to the console login.
Behaving will be different when removing the -novtswitch option from line 6 (is default):

xserver_arguments   -nolisten tcp 
But then console save-on-exit choice doesn't work well (GUI save or not-save choice works well in any case, btw).

Fred

mcewanw

#184 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Fred,

Your DD64 appears to be a winner - my partner has requested it be installed on her machine. She needed a 64bit OS for program Viber, which is why I wasn't able to convince her to keep using other DDs or MintPup.

One problem I have so far with DD64 is that Timezone isn't setting the clock correctly here (it is one hour out). I think I read some earlier posts about the matter, but can't remember where. I don't want to muck around with the BIOS clock since that would upset time on other OS installed. I imagine it is something to do with UTC or Local time - I used to know about that kind of thing, but been to long since I played with it all and forget how.

Oh, the other thing is, we tried getting some Philippines radio stations on DogRadio in DD64, but none came up in search. They used to in previous DogRadio so I realise you must have a different search list - what was the large list you used before?

As I say, time will tell, but DD64 looking good. I was thinking of modifying Linux MInt 64 to provide the functionality of the various DDs and Mintpup, but don't know enough about all that has been done in DD and so much to search... Hence happy to have this DD64. I'm wondering how many changes you needed to make to its initrd to get porteus boot to work?

Cheers,

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#185 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William,
Your DD64 appears to be a winner - my partner has requested it be installed on her machine. She needed a 64bit OS for program Viber, which is why I wasn't able to convince her to keep using other DDs or MintPup.
Ah, Good :)

Myself I prefer not setting a specific time zone, standard on DD64 the timezone is set to UTC, see in /etc/timezone:

Etc/UTC
But in fact the time displayed by e.g. date command or conky is not the correct UTC time.

Sun Mar 26 13:50:07 UTC 2016
UTC, 13:50:07
UTC time officially at this moment is 1 hour earlier. (compared to my timezone, Amsterdam)
I don't mind that, it just reads the time from the hardware clock which I have set in the BIOS to my local time.

Probably the easiest way to do things by the book is to set your time zone and install ntp:

apt-get install ntp
I'm struggling myself to understand exactly how this all works but I investigated a little so here some hints (for with or without having ntp installed).

To make things behave the same as Windows does (in case of dual boot):
In the file /etc/adjtime you can set LOCAL or UTC, set it to LOCAL

63.851349 1458991920 0.000000
LOCAL
Same for file /etc/default/rcS, add a line:

UTC=no
Set your timezone:

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
Reboot and set the time in the BIOS to your local time (which I believe is 13 hours later than UTC (GMT/UTC +13) in your case (Auckland, New Zealand)

I think this is official Linux way:
Set to UTC in /etc/adjtime

63.851349 1458991920 0.000000
UTC
Same for file /etc/default/rcS, add or change to line:

UTC=yes
Set your timezone:

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
Reboot and set the time in the BIOS to UTC time (13 hours earlier than Auckland time, in your case, New Zealand)
This will give problems when dual booting with Windows as it will set the hardware clock to local time, resulting in wrong time when booting Linux.

Other options:
- Activate /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh :

insserv hwclock.sh
/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh start
This will save the system time to the hardware clock at shutdown.
- Install ntp (get the time from the internet)
- Set the hardware clock from terminal, e.g:

hwclock --set --date "Sat Mar 26 13:50:07 2016"

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong with any of this!

About DogRadio, strange, I found some Philippines radio stations, and the search index hasn't changed, still from the RadioSure database.

Fred

anikin

#186 Post by anikin »

Fred, please, don't be shy to refer to this DD Howto section:
Awhile ago, a good Samaritan, who goes by the forum name of anikin made an attempt to explain the issue here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 203#806203
Let me just add a thought about ntp. In my view, Toni should not include it in official DD releases, because it makes things more complicated. Honestly, an average Joe Beercan doesn't need that kind of time precision on their machines. Which also comes at a price - a needless (surprise/unwanted) connection to a time server. Those who do, can easily install ntp themselves.

fredx181

#187 Post by fredx181 »

sorry, deleted
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#188 Post by mcewanw »

Hello Fred,

Thanks, I'll try resetting time by one of the methods you suggests - should be fine.

Also, sorry, DogRadio is finding Philippine radio stations afterall - maybe after I re-indexed? Anyway, works... The radio is being used a lot here!

EDIT: Fred, turns out my BIOS clock was set wrongly and I didn't notice ... I am using Local time, and once I reset my BIOS clock all was fine...

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#189 Post by mcewanw »

Hello again Fred,

Whilst I know how to run, for example, Skype with apulse, I actually want to get pulseaudio itself running. However, after installing it via apt-get I can't get it to start the pulseaudio daemon with pulseaudio --start, or with pulseaudio --system. The first says it isn't designed to run as root user, and the daemon doesn't start, and the second gives permission error message:

root@jessie64:~# pulseaudio --start
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.
root@jessie64:~# pulseaudio --system
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-exit not set!
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-module-loading not set!
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling SHM mode!
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling exit idle time!
E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Failed to create secure directory (/var/lib/pulse): Permission denied
I'm trying to run both Skype and similar program Viber (which has a different problem in that it can't find internet connection - but I won't bother you with that one since something stupid about Viber I think)

I'm wondering if you have tried to startup pulseaudio (or I missed something about it in this thread) and found a solution?

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

Atle

#190 Post by Atle »

Testing of new version and "quick install"...

Usually I download a puppy, click on the .ISO file and then copy them over to where i want them. Then i run Grub4Dos and reboot into the puppy for a look...

Now this method failed here. Grub4Dos could not pick it up.

Anything I could do different in order to try it without CD/USB?

Atle

oui

#191 Post by oui »

oh! Atle

DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie

is not really a Puppy... In my eyes, it is the next generation of Linux or OS! Puppy linux only hosts actually that new system with other possibilities: More possibilities as Debian, more as Puppy Linux did have. But, it is good so, DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie did learn a lot of Puppy Linux. So both are progressing a lot working together.

You really need to adapt your grub configuration file to start DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie...

it is so...

and you are not free to let all smudge you want on your disk: DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie will find and USE it!

but DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie is actually probably the best operating system even been created.

my actual grub.cfg (for the real actual GNU grub!):

# Begin grub.cfg
# By default boot the first menu entry.
set default=1

# Allow 2 seconds before booting the default.
set timeout=2
set color_highlight=blue/white
set color_normal=cyan/black
# insmod all_video
# insmod jpeg
# terminal_output gfxterm

menuentry  "Kubuntu sda6" {
   set root=(hd0,6)
   linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 ro
   initrd /initrd.img
}

menuentry  "Debian64 sda6" {
   set root=(hd0,6)
   linux /0deb64/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/0deb64/ changes=EXIT:/0deb64/live/
   initrd /0deb64/live/initrd1.xz
}

menuentry  "LYunicorn sda6" {
   set root=(hd0,6)
   linux /0LYunicorn/vmlinuz lpextsfs=no lpconfigsfs=no lpusersfs=no subdir=0LYunicorn pfix=ram # pmedia=cd
   initrd /0LYunicorn/initrd.gz
}

menuentry "ReactOS" {
	set root=(hd0,msdos1)
	chainloader +1
	parttool (hd0,msdos1) boot+
	multiboot /freeldr.sys
}

menuentry 'FreeDOS (on /dev/sda2)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-7C73-AEC9' {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod fat
	set root='hd0,msdos2'
	if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos2  7C73-AEC9
	else
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 7C73-AEC9
	fi
	parttool ${root} hidden-
	drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
	chainloader +1
}

menuentry  "slitaz frugal sda1" {
   set root=(hd0,6)
   #linux /0u/linux root=/dev/sda6 ro quiet
   linux /0u/linux tasks=standard pkgsel/language-pack-patterns= pkgsel/install-language-support=false priority=low ---
   initrd /0u/initrd.gz
 }
good luck!

PS: I actually not have really Kubuntu 16.04 installed! Only the actual base of Ubuntu with xorg but also with some KDE app's having in my eyes no equivalent in other Linux like "kate". I use KDE and it is the reason why LazY Unicorn is also available: The KDE "part" that Jejy69 did extract of Slax and offer us in 32 bit (Slax has it also in 64 bit) as dotsfs is not available in 64 bit, so, if you want KDE, you have to commute to an old 32 bit system and LazY Unicorn is one of the Puppy's offering the most directly available dotsfs at all and over that to use the KDE-sfs from Jejy.. SliTaz frugal is the recovery Swiss knife on my system! It is on a different partition to be operable on the rest of the disk if needing. With only 44 bit and a 64 bit kernel can SlitTaz install in a few minutes all important things needing for that! That partition sda1 is very small...

fredx181

#192 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William,
I'm wondering if you have tried to startup pulseaudio (or I missed something about it in this thread) and found a solution?
Not really, I've tried it long time ago and had some troubles (can't remember what).

I just tried now and it seems to work (at least I have sound, alsamixer won't run but volume can be adjusted with volumeicon slider):

root@jessie64:~# pulseaudio --system
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-exit not set!
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-module-loading not set!
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling SHM mode!
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling exit idle time!
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: OK, so you are running PA in system mode. Please note that you most likely shouldn't be doing that.
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: If you do it nonetheless then it's your own fault if things don't work as expected.
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Please read http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/WhatIsWrongWithSystemMode for an explanation why system mode is usually a bad idea.
But the above doesn't look good of course.

I don't know, sorry, maybe you need to install more, e.g. pavucontrol

As you may know, Skype is a i386 package, the easiest to run it on DD64 is to load the module "skype_apulse.squashfs"
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/363 ... e.squashfs
(or download with sfs-get)
Or see here (if you didn't notice already):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 430#890430

Fred

fredx181

#193 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks oui!

@Atle

For porteus-boot grub4dos menu.lst entry:
Say you have created folder "debdog64" on the root of sda1, copy the "live" folder inside, so you get /debdog64/live

title DebianDog64 Porteus-boot changes to folder (hd0,0)/debdog64/live
 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /debdog64/live/vmlinuz1 from=/debdog64 noauto changes=EXIT:/debdog64/live/
 initrd /debdog64/live/initrd1.xz
Fred

oui

#194 Post by oui »

Hi Fred

writing my precedent answer for Atle, I did search and look for links... As I see, for us Jejy69, for SourceForge Loukitchou (in both cases Jerome out Perpignan/France), did create an home at SourceForge in 2014 before he did become student (he is now student and I did read somewhere it is the reason because his contributions to linux have to be reduce!).

I suppose it would be a real good thing DebianDog64 - 64 bit DebianDog-Jessie would get an home (as you know, I have an own remasterised version of it. It is now a big *.squashfs with now ab. 430 MB, finished the initial attempt to reduce the size to an only "one-bone" or somewhat at that. but it contains an extremely rich environment for my daily activities, is extremely fast, does not require some activity of the cooling fan, the laptop stay about completely cool also if I compile all the base of LinuxFromScratch (a lot of other systems warm the laptop without to do something interesting at all :roll: !), and better it remasterizing if needing daily is a real pleasure (on my second really powerful laptop; but the big system runs also problem less on my old absolutely not powerful laptop, the emachine of Acer named in the left rand of my messages...).
Attachments
deb64b.jpg
(46.4 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
deb64ca.jpg
(44.46 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
deb64cb.jpg
(41.25 KiB) Downloaded 516 times
deb64d.jpg
(37.64 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
deb64f.jpg
(90.44 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
deb64g.jpg
(39.23 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
deb64h.jpg
(28.55 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
deb64i.jpg
(47.02 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
deb64j.jpg
(69.99 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
deb64k.jpg
(30.35 KiB) Downloaded 510 times

oui

#195 Post by oui »

view on the JWM screen with hidden tray shown and on the subdir /usr/share/applications showing the resident applications (not coming from external dosquashfs files)

actual /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<JWM>

<!-- The root menu, if this is undefined you will not get a menu. -->
   <!-- Additional RootMenu attributes: onroot, labeled, label -->
   <RootMenu height="15" onroot="12">
      <Program label="Dhcp" confirm="false">/usr/bin/frisbee</Program>
      <Program icon="ed.png" label="Ed">leafpad</Program>
      <Program icon="rox.png" label="File browser">rox</Program>
      <Program icon="granule.png" label="Flash cards">granule</Program>
      <Program icon="gramps.png" label="Genealogie">gramps</Program>
      <Program icon="merkaartor.png" label="Land maps editor">merkaartor</Program>
      <Program icon="marble.png" label="Marble">marble-qt</Program>
      <Program icon="messenger.png" label="Messenger">ayttm</Program>
      <Program label="Mixer" confirm="false">x-terminal-emulator  -T "Mixer" -e sh -c "/usr/bin/alsamixer"</Program>
      <!-- Program icon="mixer.png" label="Mixer">default_mixer</Program -->
      <Program icon="paint.png" label="Paint">mtpaint</Program>
      <Program icon="run.png" label="Run">gmrun</Program>
      <Program label="Spreadsheet" confirm="false">x-terminal-emulator  -T "SC" -e sh -c "/usr/bin/sc"</Program>
      <!-- Program icon="sc.png" label="Spreadsheet">default_spreadsheet</Program -->
      <Program icon="ted.png" label="Ted">Ted</Program>
      <Program icon="terminal.png" label="Terminal">x-terminal-emulator</Program>
      <Program icon="waveedit.png" label="WaveEd">mhwaveedit</Program>
      <Program icon="seamonkey.png" label="Web, emails, Html ed">seamonkey</Program>
      <Program label="HTML viewer light" confirm="false">x-terminal-emulator -T "retawq" -e sh -c "/usr/bin/retawq"</Program>
      <Program label="Vim" confirm="false">x-terminal-emulator  -T "vim" -e sh -c "/usr/bin/vim"</Program>
      <Program label="Yap" confirm="false">x-terminal-emulator  -T "yap" -e sh -c "/usr/bin/yap"</Program>

<Separator/>
        <Include>/etc/jwm/debian-menu</Include>
      <Separator/>
        <Program icon="grun.png" label="grun">gmrun</Program>
        <Program icon="xfce4-appfinder.png" label="appfinder">xfce4-appfinder</Program>
      <Separator/>
      <Program icon="lock.png" label="Lock">
         xscreensaver-command -activate
      </Program>
      <Separator/>
      <Program icon="reboot.png" label="Reboot">wmreboot</Program>
      <Program icon="poweroff.png" label="Poweroff">wmpoweroff</Program>
      <Restart label="Restart" icon="restart.png"/>
      <Exit label="Exit" confirm="true" icon="quit.png"/>
   </RootMenu>

<Group>
      <Class>Pidgin</Class>
      <Option>sticky</Option>
   </Group>

<Group>
      <Name>gkrellm</Name>
      <Option>nolist</Option>
      <Option>sticky</Option>
   </Group>

<Group>
      <Name>xterm</Name>
      <Option>vmax</Option>
      <Option>icon:terminal.png</Option>
   </Group>

<!-- Additional tray attributes: autohide, width, border, layer, layout -->
   <Tray  x="0" y="-1" height="32" autohide="true">

<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
      <TrayButton label="JWM">root:1</TrayButton>
      <TrayButton popup="grun" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/grun.xpm">exec:gmrun</TrayButton>
      <TrayButton popup="xfce4-appfinder" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/xfce4-appfinder.xpm">exec:xfce4-appfinder</TrayButton>
      <TrayButton popup="snapshot" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/ksnapshot.png">exec:mtpaintsnapshot.sh</TrayButton>
      <TrayButton popup="rox" icon="/usr/share/rox/images/application.png">exec:rox</TrayButton>
      <TrayButton popup="browser" icon="/usr/share/icons/Faenza-minimal/apps/64/web-browser.png">exec:seamonkey</TrayButton>
      <TrayButton popup="mixer" icon="/usr/share//pixmaps/mtpaint.png">exec:x-terminal-emulator  -T "Screensnapshot" -e sh -c "/usr/bin/mtpaintsnapshot.sh"</TrayButton>
      <TrayButton popup="mixer" icon="/usr/share//pixmaps/kmix.png">exec:x-terminal-emulator  -T "Mixer" -e sh -c "/usr/bin/alsamixer"</TrayButton>
      <TrayButton label="_">showdesktop</TrayButton>

<!-- Additional Pager attribute: labeled -->
      <Pager labeled="true"/>

<TaskList maxwidth="256"/>

<Dock/>

<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->
      <Swallow name="xload" width="64">
         xload -nolabel -bg black -fg red -hl white
      </Swallow>

<Clock format="%H:%M">xclock</Clock>

</Tray>

<!-- Visual Styles -->

<WindowStyle>

<Font>-*-fixed-*-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*</Font>
      <Width>4</Width>
      <Height>20</Height>

<Active>
         <Text>white</Text>
         <Title>gray30:gray60</Title>
         <Outline>black</Outline>
         <Opacity>1.0</Opacity>
      </Active>

<Inactive>
         <Text>#aaaaaa</Text>
         <Title>#808488:#303438</Title>
         <Outline>black</Outline>
         <Opacity>0.5:0.9:0.1</Opacity>
      </Inactive>

</WindowStyle>

<TaskListStyle>
      <ActiveForeground>black</ActiveForeground>
      <ActiveBackground>gray80:gray90</ActiveBackground>
      <Foreground>black</Foreground>
      <Background>gray90:gray80</Background>
   </TaskListStyle>

<!-- Additional TrayStyle attribute: insert -->
   <TrayStyle>
      <Background>gray90</Background>
      <Opacity>0.75</Opacity>
   </TrayStyle>

<PagerStyle>
      <Outline>black</Outline>
      <Foreground>gray90</Foreground>
      <Background>#808488</Background>
      <ActiveForeground>#70849d</ActiveForeground>
      <ActiveBackground>#2e3a67</ActiveBackground>
   </PagerStyle>

<MenuStyle>
      <Background>gray90</Background>
      <ActiveForeground>white</ActiveForeground>
      <ActiveBackground>#70849d:#2e3a67</ActiveBackground>
      <Opacity>0.85</Opacity>
   </MenuStyle>

<PopupStyle>
      <Outline>black</Outline>
      <Background>yellow</Background>
   </PopupStyle>

<IconPath>
      /usr/share/icons/wm-icons/32x32-gant
   </IconPath>

<!-- Virtual Desktops -->
   <!-- Desktop tags can be contained within Desktops for desktop names. -->
   <Desktops width="4" height="2">
      <Background type="image">/usr/share/images/default.jpg</Background>
   </Desktops>

<!-- Double click speed (in milliseconds) -->
   <DoubleClickSpeed>400</DoubleClickSpeed>

<!-- Double click delta (in pixels) -->
   <DoubleClickDelta>2</DoubleClickDelta>

<!-- The focus model (sloppy or click) -->
   <FocusModel>sloppy</FocusModel>

<!-- The snap mode (none, screen, or border) -->
   <SnapMode distance="10">border</SnapMode>

<!-- The move mode (outline or opaque) -->
   <MoveMode>opaque</MoveMode>

<!-- The resize mode (outline or opaque) -->
   <ResizeMode>opaque</ResizeMode>

<StartupCommand>
        xli -onroot -fillscreen /usr/share/images/default.jpg &
        conky -c ~/.conkyrc-live &
        setxkbmap us intl &
        cp -a /mnt/home/0deb64/live/mozilla/* ~/.mozilla/
   </StartupCommand>

<!-- Key bindings -->
   <Key key="Up">up</Key>
   <Key key="Down">down</Key>
   <Key key="Right">right</Key>
   <Key key="Left">left</Key>
   <Key key="h">left</Key>
   <Key key="j">down</Key>
   <Key key="k">up</Key>
   <Key key="l">right</Key>
   <Key key="Return">select</Key>
   <Key key="Escape">escape</Key>

<Key mask="A" key="Tab">next</Key>
   <Key mask="A" key="F4">close</Key>
   <Key mask="A" key="#">desktop#</Key>
   <Key mask="A" key="F1">root:1</Key>
   <Key mask="A" key="F2">window</Key>
   <Key mask="A" key="F10">maximize</Key>
   <Key mask="A" key="Right">rdesktop</Key>
   <Key mask="A" key="Left">ldesktop</Key>
   <Key mask="A" key="Up">udesktop</Key>
   <Key mask="A" key="Down">ddesktop</Key>

</JWM>

Attachments
deb64a.jpg
(50.82 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
deb64aa.jpg
(58.88 KiB) Downloaded 525 times

Atle

#196 Post by Atle »

Thanks to all for the Grub info.

I'll test this then. So maybe Grub4Dos needs some more lines of code as it could then pick up stuff like this distro, Slitaz and other that you can "dish out" in a drive and boot into.
I got similar instructions once at Slitaz forum and it worked fine.

Thanks again

atle

mcewanw

#197 Post by mcewanw »

Hello Fred,

The Skype sfs is a good solution and worked fine except on first use I had a freeze of my touchpad driven cursor. After rebooting, however, all has been fine so far.

Next I have to get Viber working (which is a 64bit app). I'm not sure if that also needs pulseaudio. If so, I'm hoping apulse will also work with it. I will also try to get that working via an sfs of Viber - in that regard I'm thinking I might prefer to have apulse permanently installed - I presume that wouldn't cause any problem with apulse also being included in the Skype sfs?

In terms of bug reports I should mention that my system has occasionally frozen/hung whilst using Palemoon such that I've had to press on/off switch on my computer to reboot. It doesn't happen very quickly, but has happened a few times on this machine, which is an HP Elitebook 2530P (Intel Core2 Duo processor). Maybe my machine has an issue with Palemoon, but I'm leaving things as they are for just now so that I can continue to observe. Have you had any other reports of system freeze? Anyway, if it happens again, I'll let you know and I'll maybe then try uninstalling Palemoon and installing Firefox or iceweasel to see if that makes any difference - I'll also keep an eye on memory usage, though I don't think I'm running into issues with that per se since 2GB RAM on this machine and only using a few hundred MB most of the time with what I'm doing.

EDIT: I've had no crash/freeze at all tonight so no idea at all, unfortunately, what combination or sequence I was using resulted in one.

It is certainly a nice system, and I like using 64bit system since my computer is 64bit capable - anyway, in a few years time maybe not so many people still using 32bit machines so very important, I feel, to have 64bit versions of DD etc. Actually, I find it rather ridiculous that Skype haven't produced a Linux 64bit version yet... though I guess Linux is not a priority for Microsoft owned Skype...

Cheers, William
Last edited by mcewanw on Thu 31 Mar 2016, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#198 Post by mcewanw »

oui wrote:view on the JWM screen with hidden tray shown and on the subdir /usr/share/applications showing the resident applications (not coming from external dosquashfs files)

actual /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc
Hello oui,

I'm interested in the JWM configuration you have shown. I am wondering if that creation included the removal of all openbox/xfce components?

I'm also curious on resulting memory usage immediately after booting your JWM system (e.g. as shown in htop).

Finally, regarding your JWM menu - is that manually crafted or if a new application is installed (via apt-get install or Synaptic, for example) does the new application automatically get an entry, when appropriate, in your JWM menu or do you need to add it by hand?

I'd certainly be interested to know in detail what changes you made to create your JWM version since I rather like using JWM myself if only because I like as low RAM usage as possible for my Window Manager (and I find JWM in conjunction with ROX pinboard amazingly good in that respect and relatively powerful despite its minimalism)

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#199 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William,

Thanks for testing!
Next I have to get Viber working (which is a 64bit app). I'm not sure if that also needs pulseaudio. If so, I'm hoping apulse will also work with it. I will also try to get that working via an sfs of Viber - in that regard I'm thinking I might prefer to have apulse permanently installed - I presume that wouldn't cause any problem with apulse also being included in the Skype sfs?
No, it shouldn't cause a problem, didn't test that particular setup, though.
Have you had any other reports of system freeze? Anyway, if it happens again, I'll let you know and I'll maybe then try uninstalling Palemoon and installing Firefox or iceweasel to see ito f that makes any difference
Not a total system freeze, but I had a few times a freeze of the tint2 bottom panel, in terminal "tint2restart" made it work right again.

I'd appreciate if you test this further.

Edit: Glad anyway it's becoming spring here in Holland after a long, long winter and... Glad there appears to be more frequently someone like William in this thread who has suddenly more "intertest", obviously because of having the opposite season autumn/winter in New Zealand. :)

Be careful William, not to catch a cold! :wink:

Fred

oui

#200 Post by oui »

Hi William

Thank you for the interesting
mcewanw wrote: I'm interested in the JWM configuration you have shown. I am wondering if that creation included the removal of all openbox/xfce components?

I'm also curious on resulting memory usage immediately after booting your JWM system (e.g. as shown in htop).
pls find at the bottom a view on top started immediately after reboot using the icon "run" and the command "xterm top".

in that version, I did not remove the openbox/xfce components as well as PCmanFM as only very small changes of size are permitting so and it disturb to much the preacquired settings made in the original DebianDog64...
Finally, regarding your JWM menu - is that manually crafted or if a new application is installed (via apt-get install or Synaptic, for example) does the new application automatically get an entry, when appropriate, in your JWM menu or do you need to add it by hand?

I'd certainly be interested to know in detail what changes you made to create your JWM version since I rather like using JWM myself if only because I like as low RAM usage as possible for my Window Manager (and I find JWM in conjunction with ROX pinboard amazingly good in that respect and relatively powerful despite its minimalism)
my own works consists only to modify the lines for the hidden tray, add icons (for this part only), add the Debian app "menu" and complete the "high level part" of my menu manually of course (but it is the best: nobody else as I myself can know what I use all days)
from item Dhcp to item Yap (it is an small Prolog interpreter; probably that nobody will have Yap at the main menu, or Land map editor, or Genealogie etc. ...), so I am the only one person able to adapt that high level part of the menu... The item "Debian" is standard and will automatic added with all its content if you install the Debian app 'menu' and 'jwm' (if you will also use "ratpoison" to avoid to use a mouse, you need also the Debian app "9menu", and "menu", of course. After start ratpoison has a complete menu to offer to you). Nothing to do more than to install both...

I don't like xfce4 but i really like xfce4-appfinder! It is able to join both: Debian-Menu content and KDE-Menu content (if KDE is installed or added! It is not evident: Debian-Menu does not take care on usual KDE app's! And Kubuntu-Menu does show only a part of the other X-applications... One of the actual nonsenses of the Linux world) and offers a beautiful highly standardised arrangement in categories with all icons without toil... it requires no effort from you to offer that, in about the same look as Apple appfinder.

But I don't like PCmanFM because I am a very old user of Puppy, and am accustomed to define easily my standard app's, "send to", create symlinks with CrtShift and move, etc... I am not willing to change my habits...

I use DebianDog64 without save file (I never use a save file since about 5 years). Please look at the StartUpCommands part in my config file:
<StartupCommand>
xli -onroot -fillscreen /usr/share/images/default.jpg &
conky -c ~/.conkyrc-live &
setxkbmap us intl &
cp -a /mnt/home/0deb64/live/mozilla/* ~/.mozilla/
</StartupCommand>
the last line cp -a /mnt/home/0deb64/live/mozilla/* ~/.mozilla/ is very interesting:

I have in /mnt/home/0deb64/live a version of the content of the usual hidden subdir /root/mozilla. In my 01-filesystem.squashfs is this subdir empty (content erased as remastering time as proposed by the remasterdog routine). so each restart the system get the stage, what I did define myself, of the content of /root/.mozilla, always the same as long I don't record willingly a new one in /mnt/home/0deb64/live/mozilla/. so it is only possible to spy one session or catch the password I am willing to let in it or entered at runtime in the new session and where I did confirm 'save that password'. no other trace. This make the terribly garrulous and indiscreet internal directory of mozilla a lot more discreet and stil :idea: . all new cookies are away :wink: . but I can add new ones if I record a different stage of that subdir in /mnt/home/0deb64/live/mozilla/ :roll: ...

of course, you can do the same with all other internal subdir of applications having a risk to be indiscreet.

the second effect is also important: that subdir, /mnt/home/0deb64/live/mozilla/ , stay accessible as a normal subdir on the harddisk, not in a system like a savefile. so it is possible to use it, sometime after copying AND, DON'T FORGET, after a 'chown', in other linux versions...

kind regards
Attachments
TopAfterRebootKl.jpg
(74.03 KiB) Downloaded 693 times