How to get HP Deskjet 5150 USB printer working?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Jmonti007

#1 Post by Jmonti007 »

Hello,

I have recently started playing with Puppy 2.13 on an old PC at work. I've managed to get networking, sound, and video working great. I even managed to set up a small save file to retain my settings and installed Firefox. The last part of the puzzle is getting my HP Deskjet 5150 USB printer working. If I can do that, this will be a great workstation again.

Can anyone point me to "Howto" or give me some directions on getting it working?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

vanchutr

Puzzle with printer

#2 Post by vanchutr »

Thanks to Pakt!
1. You need to download your printer file .ppd from www.linuxprinting.org
2. Download the program cups-install-v0.3.pup (in this forum)
3. Put your printer .ppd file in /root
4. Install the program cups-install-v0.3.pup. If you don't see any errors. That's good.
5. Open the web browser and go to localhost:631. You continue to add your printer ...
Finish.

Jmonti007

#3 Post by Jmonti007 »

vanchutr,

Thanks for the fast reply! Thats exactly what I was looking for. I'm off to try this out.

Thanks again,

Jay

Jmonti007

Re: Puzzle with printer

#4 Post by Jmonti007 »

vanchutr wrote:Thanks to Pakt!
1. You need to download your printer file .ppd from www.linuxprinting.org
2. Download the program cups-install-v0.3.pup (in this forum)
3. Put your printer .ppd file in /root
4. Install the program cups-install-v0.3.pup. If you don't see any errors. That's good.
5. Open the web browser and go to localhost:631. You continue to add your printer ...
Finish.
Update:

I just printed out my first test page. Your instuctions were right on! Firefox downloaded the .ppd file and the CUPS program into /root. I clicked on the CUPS file and everything went as it should.

A gold star for you!

Scoticus

Installing a USB printer- Help.....

#5 Post by Scoticus »

Like Jmonti007 I too have been experiencing difficulty in printing.

In my case I was able to find my printer listed and followed the instructions and received verification that things were right. However when I attempted to print a trial page it did not work. I am unsure whether I have made a proper selection as there did not appear to be a selection for a USB connection.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction.

Thanking you in anticipation.

vanchutr

Installing a USB printer

#6 Post by vanchutr »

If You want a precisely answer (or hint) or help of other member on this forum: Please post here those details:
What Puppy' version you 'd used? ...
(I think that: every Puppy version must be install the CUPS in differents may? May be I'm wrong. When I played with 2.01 I must install CUPS by the cups-install (from dear Pakt) but this 'nt worked on 213; then I must use the cups-install-v0.3.pup ... reason: missed something in devx_213)
In general, when you can see the CUPS page (http://localhost:631/) that mean: Your printer was succefully installed)
Be lucky

Scoticus

#7 Post by Scoticus »

vanchutr please bear with me as I am totally new to Puppy and feeling my way arround. I am attempting to use 2.13 and finding things a bit slow in the learning curve.

Following Set up, Puppy Printer Wizard I was able to select my printer from the dropdown menu. I then followed through the selections and on checking xpdq details am told that the printer is configured properly and should work on the system. The xpdq status section shows: status-exec script had no output.

I am using a USB connection with my printer and wonder if this is a contributing factor as I do not recall being given a choice for USB as part of a list I was offered.

I hope this will assist you in guiding me to a positive result.

Many thanks

Ian

vanchutr

Printer HP...

#8 Post by vanchutr »

Dear Scoticus,
I'am sorry.
I'd told about the CUPS server printer. I did'nt setup my printer through the dropmenu setup of pristine Puppy. (The pristine Puppy used the Xpdq to print!). My printer is'nt listed in setup dropmenu; then I must use the CUPS.
Please review the above posts. You can try with the CUPS install program (of Pakt). I think it is very, very good (for printer). I worked with it and successfully installed for some printers (out of list in menu printer setup).
Some body else will help you (how to use xpdq to print doc).
Be happy.

Scoticus

#9 Post by Scoticus »

vanchutr do not worry in the lease. Like you said in the first instance if I has given enough info you would not have confused the issue.

I think I will leave things open against this post for the moment and see what comes over the next few days and post as a specific to the printer if nothing comes along.

Once again thanks

Ian
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: How to get HP Deskjet 5150 USB printer working?

#10 Post by BarryK »

Scoticus wrote:I am using a USB connection with my printer and wonder if this is a contributing factor as I do not recall being given a choice for USB as part of a list I was offered.
One of the steps in setting up the printer asks you to choose the printer port (usb, parallel) -- when a printer config file in XPDQ is being created.

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

yes,

when you run printer wizard, and choose all the appropriate choices, the xpdq window will pop up. then you have to select Add printer, choose some more options, then, (and i think this is where a few people get lost, when it asks for Name of device, if you just hover the mouse cursor over the window, it gives you some typical options for either parallel, or usb, connected printer.

also make sure you select the added printer, and make it the default printer.

John Doe

#12 Post by John Doe »

muggins wrote:...and i think this is where a few people get lost, when it asks for Name of device, if you just hover the mouse cursor over the window, it gives you some typical options for either parallel, or usb, connected printer...
Wanted to relate that I too have found myself pointing this out to people in the past week.

The tip on mouse over is GREAT, but perhaps that tip should be printed on the screen also.

Scoticus

#13 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks BarryK, Muggins and John Doe I now have things working.

Having gone back through the Wizard I completed the various sections and got it to work. I thing where I went wrong was when given the choice for the Name of device I entered the information in uppercase. Changing the case got things to work.

When I attempted to print initially I clicked on the C66 option and got nothing but accepting generic worked.

All hopefully is now well in the print department.

Thanks again

Ian