Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 13 Dec 2019, 04:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog - Jessie (21 June 2017)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 41 of 68 [1013 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2016, 19:50    Post subject:  

puppyluvr wrote:
Thanks!
I now have gl on Debiandog!

+1 (me also). Thanks Toni

(Celeron single core with nvidia graphics card)
g.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   46.77 KB
 Viewed   924 Time(s)

g.jpg

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2016, 06:55    Post subject:  

Hi rufwoof,

Quote:
DD Jessie Openbox - if I scroll wheel whilst on the desktop the sensitivity is such that one click of the scroll-wheel results in 2 jumps of the desktop being viewed i.e. with two desktops it simply sticks to remaining on desktop 1.

Yes, I wish I had known earlier, but that can be solved by editing ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml
Look for : <context name="Desktop">
Then move all sections of mousebind actions containing "previous" or "next" to the context "Root"

So then it looks like this:
Code:

<context name="Desktop">
      <mousebind button="Left" action="Press">
        <action name="Focus"/>
        <action name="Raise"/>
      </mousebind>
      <mousebind button="Right" action="Press">
        <action name="Focus"/>
        <action name="Raise"/>
      </mousebind>
    </context>
    <context name="Root">
      <!-- Menus -->
      <mousebind button="Up" action="Click">
        <action name="GoToDesktop">
          <to>previous</to>
        </action>
      </mousebind>
      <mousebind button="Down" action="Click">
          <to>next</to>
        </action>
      </mousebind>
      <mousebind button="A-Up" action="Click">
          <to>previous</to>
        </action>
      </mousebind>
      <mousebind button="A-Down" action="Click">
          <to>next</to>
        </action>
      </mousebind>
      <mousebind button="C-A-Up" action="Click">
          <to>previous</to>
        </action>
      </mousebind>
      <mousebind button="C-A-Down" action="Click">
          <to>next</to>
        </action>
      </mousebind>
      <mousebind button="Middle" action="Press">
        <action name="ShowMenu">
          <menu>client-list-combined-menu</menu>
        </action>
      </mousebind>
      <mousebind button="Right" action="Press">
        <action name="ShowMenu">
          <menu>root-menu</menu>
        </action>
      </mousebind>
    </context>

Then in terminal :
Code:
openbox --reconfigure

And it should be fine.

Found here:
http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:XFCE/Openbox
Quote:
Also, if you notice scrolling the wheel to change between virtual desktops skips one or another virtual desktop (and this bothers you and would like to fix it just for mental sake), ....

Fred
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2016, 18:06    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
...that can be solved by ...

Thanks Fred. I actually like it the way it is - as with two desktops a scroll wheel on the desktop tends to stick to the same desktop (after some flickering). I prefer to click the desktop icons in the tray to actually switch desktops and a scrollwheel whilst on the desktop is more often a mistake/unwanted action (scrolling a window/browser whilst having slipped the mouse outside of that window).

I don't tend to switch desktops that often, more usually just to open up a clean desktop - to then fire-up calculator and then drag that calculator back to desktop 1.
Insomniacno1

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr 2016, 00:05    Post subject: YUMI install not saving to persistent file  

Hi, I installed DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02 onto my 32GB Kingston DataTraveller USB 3.0 using YUMI and the option to use Debian Live 32bit

This worked fine for live sesseion 2 persistent RAM, but when I created a live-rw file - follwoing your guide(btw you should read that one again - the website you refer to, no longer exist) and put that in the /live folder and rebooted it did not save to the file - after many reboots still nothing. So I checked the live.cfg file and it had the persistent in it.

Not really being able to figure out what were wrong I tried the other options to boot, just to tell you that Porteus method is not working at all it complains that it can't find wheezy-i486.sgn (why wheezy and not jessie?) since I have not touched this - the problem must be on your end.

So I looked into my Xubuntu folder and its grub cfg file which is called loopback.cfg and found that here persistent-path=/ were added and missing in live.cfg.

So I added this and now it saves to the live-rw file. On startup I could see all my Partitions, but now my USB were gone - But I did have the live-rw as a drive with same name. Hmm, not so good. I need to be able to access my USB.

I have attached the liv.cfg and my loopback.cfg for reference.

Hope for some quick help:)

JBJ
config.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  config.zip 
Filesize  998 Bytes 
Downloaded  118 Time(s) 
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr 2016, 03:52    Post subject: Re: YUMI install not saving to persistent file  

Insomniacno1 wrote:
Hi, I installed DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02 onto my 32GB Kingston DataTraveller USB 3.0 using YUMI and the option to use Debian Live 32bit

This is the reason for your problems. Yumi does not create menu entries for DebianDog properly. Your attached live.cfg has two entries for the same boot code. The first entry is only one long line instead separate second line starting with append.
Read here about live-boot-2 persistent code for usb created with yumi:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=857065#857065
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=857240#857240

Quote:
but when I created a live-rw file - follwoing your guide(btw you should read that one again - the website you refer to, no longer exist)

This is the live-boot-2 instruction wiki and all links work there (the boot methods post in the thread is linked to this github wiki page):
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Live-boot-2

Quote:
Porteus method is not working at all it complains that it can't find wheezy-i486.sgn (why wheezy and not jessie?) since I have not touched this - the problem must be on your end.

I use the same wheezy sgn file for DD-Squeeze, Wheezy, Jessie and MintPup. This doesn't create any problem. Porteus-boot code will not work because YUMI does not set properly from=/ paramether. Change it to:
Code:
from=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/

More about porteus-boot codes read here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Porteus-boot

Quote:
So I added this and now it saves to the live-rw file. On startup I could see all my Partitions, but now my USB were gone - But I did have the live-rw as a drive with same name. Hmm, not so good. I need to be able to access my USB.

I can't say what is the reason not to see it. Using debdog-installer to create bootrable USB adds desktop icon with the bootable USB drive after booting it.
Your USB created with YUMI and booting DebianDog should be mounted on /live/image

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr 2016, 04:10    Post subject:  

Hi, Insomniacno1,

Edit: Oops, didn't see Toni's post above yet, well... see the below as addition.

Yes, it looks like Yumi doesn't support DebianDog (and the other way around)
The porteus-boot entries are totally wrong (from looking at your live.cfg)

Did not test this particular /multiboot/... setup but these should work:

This if you have "live-rw" savefile inside persistent-path: /multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live
Code:
label sysvinit live-boot-2 in RAM persistent
kernel /multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live/vmlinuz1
append noprompt live-media-path=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live initrd=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live/initrd1.img boot=live config persistent persistent-path=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live swapon noprompt quickreboot toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

This if you have:
- a "live-rw" labeled partition (should be linux filesystem) or:
- a savefile "live-rw" on the root of a partition (/live-rw)
(persistent-path= doesnt need to be set)
Code:
label sysvinit live-boot-2 persistent
append noprompt live-media-path=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live initrd=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live/initrd1.img boot=live config persistent swapon noprompt quickreboot

This for porteus-boot without changes being saved:
Code:
label sysvinit Porteus in RAM nosave
append initrd=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live/initrd1.xz from=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/ noauto copy2ram

This for porteus-boot with changes.dat savefile in /multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live :
(changes.dat should have been be created already, so first boot without save and "Create savefile" from Menu, or just rename your live-rw to changes.dat and put it in "live" folder)
Code:
label sysvinit Porteus savefile changes.dat in live
append initrd=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live/initrd1.xz from=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/ noauto changes=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live/changes.dat

Similar to the above, but changes will be saved only at shutdown/reboot:
Code:
label sysvinit Porteus savefile changes.dat in live save-on-exit
append initrd=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live/initrd1.xz from=/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/ noauto changes=EXIT:/multiboot/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02/live/changes.dat

Hope this helps.

Edit: Examples for porteus-boot corrected, should be from= without the 'live' at the end as it is edited now.

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 08 Apr 2016, 16:59; edited 2 times in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr 2016, 16:42    Post subject:  

Hi All,

New version of porteusbootscript 0.0.3 (new-save-setup).

Added option (checkbox) in case using changes=EXIT:/... for to rotate logs and delete logs older than 1 day or larger than 1MB. (see first screenshot)
When EXIT:/.. is not used there is dialog prompting for to rotate logs yes/no (this also when using live-boot) (see second screenshot)
As logs grow and can fill up the save storage to a huge amount of space it's nice improvement IMO to have the choice to keep log size and age minimal.

Any thoughts?

For Jessie: first install debdog-repo-updater
Code:
apt-get install debdog-repo-updater && apt-get update && apt-get install porteusbootscripts

For Wheezy:
Code:

apt-get update && apt-get install porteusbootscripts

To get back to previous version:
Code:
apt-get install porteusbootscripts=0.0.2

Or even older (same as default in ISO):
Code:
apt-get install porteusbootscripts=0.0.1

Fred
save-on-exit-choice-rotate-logs.png
 Description   
 Filesize   18.77 KB
 Viewed   519 Time(s)

save-on-exit-choice-rotate-logs.png

save-choice-rotate-logs.png
 Description   
 Filesize   23.75 KB
 Viewed   524 Time(s)

save-choice-rotate-logs.png

dancytron

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr 2016, 17:22    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi All,

<snip>

Fred

Is this made to work with DebianDog64?
Insomniacno1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2016, 00:16    Post subject:  

Hi Toni and Fred, thank you I will try this out:)

Toni: the reason why the live.cfg is wrong is that I tried to edit it in Windows Notepad and DD Leafpad(seems to be default editor for .cfg files in DD).

I tried using Geany this time and has added the new live.cfg so you can check if it comes out correct now.

Which one do you guys use, and do you use word wrap and line numbers_

Fred: the new script - how do I add that to my usb?

The live-rw files has been added as changes.dat in the /live folder, so now i both have live-rw and changes.dat in /live

Thanks guys Im going to test this now.

With kind regards

JBJ
PS: could tell me how to get scroll working - its driving me nuts.
Thinkpad t61 synaptics touchpad
live.cfg.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  live.cfg.zip 
Filesize  476 Bytes 
Downloaded  104 Time(s) 
Insomniacno1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2016, 00:38    Post subject:  

Hi Toni and Fred, well so far so good / except that I still can\t access my USB drive as anything else than the live-rw.

Screenshot attached.

Can you figure this out?

JBJ
1.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  1.zip 
Filesize  108.69 KB 
Downloaded  94 Time(s) 
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2016, 00:57    Post subject:  

Insomniacno1 wrote:
Screenshot attached.

Can you figure this out?

/live-rw-backing is in use only with live-boot-2 and it shows the size of your save file if you right click on it choosing Properties. It is not your actual USB drive.
Try to open File System -> live -> image and it should be your USB drive if you boot without Copy to RAM code.
File System -> live -> image will be your RAM if you boot with Copy to RAM code.
In this case try to use mount-wizard (from menu entry or typing in terminal) to access your USB drive.

Insomniacno1 wrote:
I tried using Geany this time and has added the new live.cfg so you can check if it comes out correct now.

Same result. The first menu entry has "vmlinuz1append" together on one line without space. Same with word wrap in Geany.

Quote:
Fred: the new script - how do I add that to my usb?

In terminal:
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get install debdog-repo-updater && apt-get update && apt-get install porteusbootscripts

Quote:
The live-rw files has been added as changes.dat in the /live folder, so now i both have live-rw and changes.dat in /live

You need changes.dat only if you use porteus-boot. From your screenshot seems you use live-boot-2 and the save file is live-rw (not changes.dat).

Quote:

Try typing in terminal tapbutton
Does it help? If it does you can copy or link /opt/bin/tapbutton in /root/Startup to auto-start it each session.

Toni

saintless

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2016, 02:09    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Any thoughts?

Hi Fred.
I remember Sergey gave an option to prevent increasing the size of $HOME/.xsession-errors a long time ago here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=756910#756910
It is included in Jwm version but checking now you didn't add it in OpenBox. Maybe you will like to include this change in updated iso versions. All you need is changing the line in /etc/X11/Xsession to:
Code:
exec >"$ERRFILE" 2>&1

Edit: And information from Keisha about trash folder in rox-filer + thunar environment:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=897285#897285
Probably will be useful in the future.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2016, 04:58    Post subject:  

Toni wrote:
exec >"$ERRFILE" 2>&1

Thanks, much better that way!

@dancytron

Quote:
fredx181 wrote:
Hi All,

<snip>

Fred

Is this made to work with DebianDog64?

It's added to DD64 repo also now, different package though (amd64 arch.)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=897297#897297

Fred
Insomniacno1

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr 2016, 00:34    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:

/live-rw-backing is in use only with live-boot-2 and it shows the size of your save file if you right click on it choosing Properties. It is not your actual USB drive.
Try to open File System -> live -> image and it should be your USB drive if you boot without Copy to RAM code.
File System -> live -> image will be your RAM if you boot with Copy to RAM code.
In this case try to use mount-wizard (from menu entry or typing in terminal) to access your USB drive.

So I take it that I should not use toram=01-filesystem.squashfs if I dont want to have to mount my USB drive on every startup / is that correct?

Insomniacno1 wrote:
Same result. The first menu entry has "vmlinuz1append" together on one line without space. Same with word wrap in Geany.

So which editor do you guys use so that the lines are correct?

Quote:

Try typing in terminal tapbutton
Does it help? If it does you can copy or link /opt/bin/tapbutton in /root/Startup to auto-start it each session.

Toni
[/quote]

Well that turned ON the tap not the scroll. How to get the scroll working?

EDIT: Following this post https://txlab.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/activating-touchpad-in-xfce-debian-wheezy/ and this one https://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad turned touchpad ON. Now I just need the config tool to work so I can adjust sensitivity.

After reboot Synaptiks(not synaptics) showed up in accerssories - Any idea why it didn't go to settings?

Also it does not have sensitivity, so i have to figure that out somehow.

with kind regards

JBJ[/url]

Last edited by Insomniacno1 on Wed 06 Apr 2016, 05:05; edited 4 times in total
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr 2016, 02:36    Post subject:  

Insomniacno1 wrote:
So which editor do you guys use so that the lines are correct?

I use geany mostly. In your attached cfg file only in the first entry the space after "vmlinuz1" is missing. Probably because "append" should be on new line but it isn't. I don't know if this is Notepad <-> Geany convertion error or something else. All other entries have "append" on new line and you can correct the first one easy with geany.

Quote:
Well that turned ON the tap not the scroll. How to get the scroll working?

Tapbutton script enables two fingers scrolling. If you mean how to enable also the edge touchpad scrolling add this line in /opt/bin/tapbutton:
Code:
synclient VertEdgeScroll=1

Quote:
So I take it that I should not use toram=01-filesystem.squashfs if I dont want to have to mount my USB drive on every startup / is that correct?

No. I just don't know why you can't open the usb files in thunar using OpenBox version with live-boot-2, persistent, copytoram code. And I gave you alternative way to mount the drive. OpenBox version doesn't use desktop-drive-icons but only pup-volume-monitor. The desktop drives are generated some other way and probably Thunar behaviour is different compared to Xfe.
Maybe Fred will explain better how it works if you are interested.
Screenshot attached from Jwm version, live-boot-2, persistent in live-rw, CopyToRam code from sda5 . Desktop-drive-icons generates icon for sda5 on the desktop. Click on the icon opens sda5 drive files in Xfe. I can't test usb boot at the moment but I'm sure there will be no difference booting the same way from usb. I will do such test when I have a chance.

Edit: A reminder for me and Fred if it has something to do with this issue. There is small difference in executing /opt/bin/cowsave and /opt/bin/mount-backing scripts in OpenBox and Jwm version. OpenBox starts first mount-backing and then cowsave and jwm the opposite in /etc/rc.local. I doubt cowsave script has something to do with that but I could be wrong. The responsible script for mounting the drive with save file is mnt-backing and it is the same in OpenBox and Jwm version.

Toni
live-boot2-persistent-copy2ram-sda5.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   70.6 KB
 Viewed   402 Time(s)

live-boot2-persistent-copy2ram-sda5.jpg

Page 41 of 68 [1013 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: