USB boot with pup001 on hard drive

Using applications, configuring, problems
nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

USB boot with pup001 on hard drive

#1 Post by nduanetesh »

Hi,

I'd like to carry my OS of choice (puppy, of course!) around on my USB key to various computers in my life, but keep a separate pup001 file on each 'puter's hard drive, so I don't have to worry about configing internet connections and such each time I boot up. (To clarify, I want my USB bound puppy to read a pup001 on the hard drive, rather than a pup100 file on the key, each time it boots.) I'm guessing that I need to change some options in the syslinux.cfg found on the key, but I'm not exactly sure what. I tried changing PHOME=sda1 to PHOM=hda1, but this gave me a whole pile of errors and eventually dumped me at a prompt (couldn't start X). So, how can my desired configuration be achieved?

Thanks,

ND

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Ahmm, not a bad idea. You might be interested in Lobster's post on Puppie Holliday here.

Sorry I can't help you more.

Rich

#3 Post by Rich »

it should work ok !

I have a machine at work with pup001 file on it. If I boot my home pc with the usb pen I get my usual home system.
However, if I boot the one at work, I get the 'initial puppy' that I first installed. The pup001 file at work is as new, no mods or addons .

Rich

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#4 Post by nduanetesh »

Rich, that's very strange. Are you using puppy 1.0.2? Anytime I boot it (without config changes), whether or not there's a pup001 file on the hard drive, puppy either creates it's own pup100 file on the key, or uses the one that it has already created on the key.

However, I have had some success, though it's not very elegant, and not quite what I had in mind. After going into syslinux.cfg and changing PHOME=sda1 to hda1, I got errors that puppy couldn't find usr_cram.fs, and that pretty much ends the fun. I wondered if PHOME not only indicated to puppy where to put the pup file, but also where usr_cram might be located. So I copied usr_cram onto my hard drive and rebooted. Everything works just fine and USB puppy is now using the pup001 file on the hard drive. (I also had to change the PFILE line to make sure it looked for pup001, rather than pup100.) So, it's technically doing what I want it to, however I'd rather not have to copy usr_cram.fs onto the hard drive of each computer where I want to use puppy.

I'm very interested in MwPhoto's thread here, as I think he and I are working toward the same goal, and I think his solution might be more elegant than my idea of using the pup001 file on the hard drive of each computer.

ND

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#5 Post by nduanetesh »

I realized something shortly after my last post, and I have learned a little something since then.

First, I realized that all I've really accomplished is to turn a USB key into a boot disk for a puppy HD install

Second, I have learned that my minor success earlier does not work if the hard drive is partitioned NTFS (duh).

Feeling less Ultra Super than usual...

ND