T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Version 1.0.1 - now available !!!

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ASD

#101 Post by ASD »

RSH,

Congratulations on this innovative and interesting major work.

I tried tahr64_6.0.5 on a flash stick. It was easy to set up and boot initially, but less intuitive to set up a configuration and reload it.

I very much liked the wallpapers and the look of the dashboard, however the dashboard was very slow loading (perhaps it will be faster on reuse).

Meantime, a few random hints might help me others to further explore some of its many features more easily.

LazY Puppy

#102 Post by LazY Puppy »

ASD wrote:RSH,

Congratulations on this innovative and interesting major work.
Thank you very much.
I very much liked the wallpapers and the look of the dashboard, however the dashboard was very slow loading (perhaps it will be faster on reuse).
Yes, the dash board needs some time to load, as it has lots of stuff to init for its gui. It is a modified combination of Find'N'Run (by SFR & step) and PupMenu (by radky). First load after boot will always be slow - second load shold be much faster (at least it is much faster over here in tahr 6.0.2).
I tried tahr64_6.0.5 on a flash stick. It was easy to set up and boot initially, but less intuitive to set up a configuration and reload it.
Good to know someone's got it setup and running without major problems.

To setup a new configuration is also pretty easy by the pconfig gui (see attached images). Just make the changes and save the configuration file by a new name to the sub-directory ConfigData in your boot diretcory (aka install directory) (e.g. /mnt/sde1/Tahr64605/ConfigData).

No need to enter the full name for the config file like: e.g tahr64_6.0.5-Girls1.cfg. Just enter e.g. Girsl1 (don't use hyphens, underscores are allowed) for its name to saved.

After saving it you'll be asked to create a entry for menu.lst either for ATAHD or USBFLASH. Then switch to the tab of grub4dos menu and copy/paste the created entry from upper text editor into the menu.lst file in lower text editor. Click the button on the right side of this tab's gui to save the modified menu.lst file.

Reboot and choose the new boot menu entry to boot the your new setup configuration.

You could also make a copy of a config file in e.g. /mnt/sde1/Tahr64605/ConfigData and edit its content manually in a text editor.
Meantime, a few random hints might help me others to further explore some of its many features more easily.
There are so many features, I think best would be: tell me what you want to do, and I'm going to explain how to achieve/solve this.
Attachments
Screenshot-2016-04-11-15-56-04.jpg
How to call configuration sfs management from dash board
(119.44 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
Screenshot-2016-04-11-15-49-12.jpg
How to call pconfig gui from dash board.
(87.43 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Fauler_Pappi

Dashboard without jwm ?!

#103 Post by Fauler_Pappi »

High :D LazY Puppy,
is that correct ......that I can use ...... say... x-slacko 4.0 with T.o.p.l.e.s.s. ?

Have a good time
Thomas

LazY Puppy

Re: Dashboard without jwm ?!

#104 Post by LazY Puppy »

Fauler_Pappi wrote:High :D LazY Puppy,
is that correct ......that I can use ...... say... x-slacko 4.0 with T.o.p.l.e.s.s. ?

Have a good time
Thomas
The fact where I was talking about to boot a LazY Puppy 5 without having jwm menu and tray was NOT related to a Puppy with a different window manager like xfce. In that mentioned case jwm will still be the window manager but there'll be just no menu and also no tray from jwm.

If such a setup is chosen to boot the dash board will have only a single tab plus a button to shutdown at the bottom of the dash board gui. Also if such a setup is chosen to boot one needs to setup manually the applications available in the dash board. I will explain this later, if there will be any request to have such a setup to use.

However, I have running x-tahr 6.0.2 as a T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 so it may be possible to get x-slacko also to run as T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5.

In x-tahr I had to do some changes manually that may be also necessary to do for x-slacko. As there were:

- changed the name of the puppy sfs to puppy_xtahr_6.0.2.sfs

- edited the file /etc/DISTRO_SPECS and changed some of its content:

- DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX='xtahr'
- DISTRO_PUPPYSFS='puppy_xtahr_6.0.2.sfs'
- DISTRO_ZDRVSFS='zdrv_xtahr_6.0.2.sfs'
- DISTRO_ADRVSFS='adrv_xtahr_6.0.2.sfs'
- DISTRO_YDRVSFS='ydrv_xtahr_6.0.2.sfs'

I did it inside the initrd.gz and also inside of the puppy_xtahr_6.0.2.sfs. The reason why I did this is caused by having tahr 6.0.2 also installed on this partition. If you don't have tahr 6.0.2 installed also it probably may work also without to apply the above changes.

Try it and let me know how it does/goes.

After this was done, I just drag'n'drop the initrd.gz onto the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. RoxApp directory. Done.

But as in x-tahr there might be some limitations also in x-slacko. These limitations are caused by not using jwm as the window manager and not using the Rox Desktop Environment.

However, the basic features of T.O.P.L.E.S.S. will work as well as it does in a jwm puppy. So you can still create RunScripts and use SFS Modules like you did in LazY Puppy 2.0.2-005.

Ok, since you are a German, you could also post in the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. DE topic, which will be a little more easy for me to reply.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#105 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok.

Downloaded X-Slacko 4.0 and tried to make a T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 from it.

First I found was a very strange init script in initrd.gz.

It has a delay when calling xwin and is complaining something about memory acces error (Speicherzugriffsfehler) at ddcprobe when running xorgwizard-automatic.

The dash board doesn't come up to the screen. Creating RunScripts works but the program (GIMP Painter 2.8.7 tested) had to be started twice. It won't run directly by the RunScript after the SFS was successfully loaded.

Something weird has happened after shutting down T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 based on X-Slacko 4.0.

Could NOT boot anymore from that original boot drive. Had to boot from a different drive, doing a e2fsck on that original boot drive, replacing grub4dos and also its menu.lst. After this I could boot again from my original boot drive.

So, conclusion: X-Slacko is NOT recommended for the use as a T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 !!!

Use standard jwm slacko instead.
Attachments
XSlacko40-Screenshot.jpg
(72.11 KiB) Downloaded 542 times
RSH

rg66

#106 Post by rg66 »

The X-slacko init is from woof testing, it would be quite easy to use the original init from slacko-6.3.0. I've been using X-slacko-4 for months and never had any problems like you are describing.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

LazY Puppy

#107 Post by LazY Puppy »

rg66 wrote:The X-slacko init is from woof testing, it would be quite easy to use the original init from slacko-6.3.0. I've been using X-slacko-4 for months and never had any problems like you are describing.
Unfortunately I don't have slacko 6.3.0 available.

However, I'm pretty sure the problems I had are NOT caused by X-Slacko 4.0 but by T.O.P.L.E.S.S. and how it builds the LazY Puppy 5 from e.g. X-Slacko 4.0.

Some of the original files are modified by T.O.P.L.E.S.S. when dragging the initrd.gz onto the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. RoxApp Directory. A few files are modified manually by myself and these files are loaded by SFS to a top layer (counted from main puppy sfs layer) which is similar then like just to overwrite them by installing a .pet package.

I just need to wait until a ubuntu based standard jwm puppy made by WoofCE tesing is available to apply the new changes from WoofCE testing to the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 Builder. Or is there any available already???
RSH

ASD

#108 Post by ASD »

RSH,

I've spent another couple of enjoyable hours trying this fascinating project on tahr64_6.0.5

I've zeroed out the dashboard so it no longer loads on bootup because I can easily load it from the menu as and when I need it.

Also, I've now tried PupMenu and Find'N'Run on my hard drive installation of tahr64._6.0.5 and they both load almost instantaneously and they're both star keepers.

I haven't yet discovered how to update Palemoon or Flash or use Quickpet and I'll likely have a few more questions much later today.

stemsee

#109 Post by stemsee »

seems to be working on pupjibaro_jessie. Very quick and painless setup ..... now to explore!

LazY Puppy

#110 Post by LazY Puppy »

I've zeroed out the dashboard so it no longer loads on bootup because I can easily load it from the menu as and when I need it.
It should load also by the 'start' keys of the keyboard.

Left start key will switch immediately to the 2nd tab (mod. Find'N'Run).
Right start key will switch immediately to the 3rd tab (mod. PupMenu).
Also, I've now tried PupMenu and Find'N'Run on my hard drive installation of tahr64._6.0.5 and they both load almost instantaneously and they're both star keepers.
The dash board is a first go. Of course it could be improved in the future...
seems to be working on pupjibaro_jessie
Really? :o :shock:
I've spent another couple of enjoyable hours trying this fascinating project on tahr64_6.0.5
:D :D :D
RSH

LazY Puppy

#111 Post by LazY Puppy »

ASD wrote:Also, I've now tried PupMenu and Find'N'Run on my hard drive installation of tahr64._6.0.5 and they both load almost instantaneously and they're both star keepers.
Btw, I've overseen that fact:

That's just nothing to wonder about or to be surprised about.

If you are running/using Find'N'Run and/or Pup Menu in the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5, both of them don't have to init anything since their databases are already created and all necessary parameters are already setup.

If you want to check the speed of loading the dash board compared to loading Find'N'Run and Pup Menu, you'll need to use a different Puppy Linux (not converted to T.O.P.L.E.S.S.). But install the icons_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs to the testing Puppy, to have equal basic settings of around 2,500 icons.

Just activate 'Show all Icons" in Find'N'Run, execute Find'N'Run and after that execute Pup Menu and make an addition of the time both needed to appear on the screen. I'm sure this will be pretty close to the time the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. dash board will enter the screen.

You even would not compare the speed of two different cars entering Los Angeles, when one is starting from Washington DC and the other one is starting from San Francisco, no? :wink: :lol:
RSH

ASD

#112 Post by ASD »

RSH,

When loading the dashboard at boot up it takes about 30 seconds. Thereafter it will reload in about 2 to 3 seconds. Also, as you suggested, the left and right Windows keys work well and quickly from the keyboard.

I’m very pleased you mentioned Find’N’Run and PupMenu. As I wrote, they’re now in my non-T.O.P.L.E.S.S version of tahr64_6.0.5 - which is itself a superb Puppy.

As regards Los Angeles, the speed of entry thereto might be identical. As regards elapsed times taken, I am thinking more in terms of the 186.000 miles per second speed of light rather than that of a Ferrari and I was observing and wondering, not complaining.

I found, and used the Pale Moon updater and getFlash, though, much less importantly, it seems Quickpet is omitted from your version.

After lowering the sound volume, changing the clock display format and adding launch icons to the jwm tray I would like to know how to keep the amendments on rebooting.

I will probably try Wine and its Portable Apps next, though that may have to wait a few days.

LazY Puppy

#113 Post by LazY Puppy »

I was observing and wondering, not complaining
Didn't take this as some complain. :wink:
I found, and used the Pale Moon updater and getFlash, though, much less importantly, it seems Quickpet is omitted from your version.
No, quickpet is only available after installing tahr64fix2.zip from its repo. Until this is installed there is just the bugfix icon at the desktop which installs nearly automatically - so probably you've just overseen that?

However I had to disable the bugfix button, its functions and to remove the related files (done at boot up) as it includes files that will break some files from T.O.P.L.E.S.S.

So, if you need some of these bugfixes, there are two ways to solve this.

1. you start the puppy in original mode, installing the fixes and doing a remaster then.
2. You could provide me the links to those bugfixes (so, that I can download them without the need to search for them in the web or at a page) and I'm going to edit them to make sure not to break T.O.P.L.E.S.S. files. Afterwards I will provide the 'fixed' bugfixes.
After lowering the sound volume, changing the clock display format and adding launch icons to the jwm tray I would like to know how to keep the amendments on rebooting.
In menu SFS P.L.U.S. there are entries of Configuration SFS Module and to Save current configuration.

Shutdown has also buttons to save and shut down, or to save and reboot. It's pretty similar to the save file but much smarter.

Note: once you'd created a configuration sfs module it will load automatically at next boot. To have option to boot without configuration sfs module just create a second one, or make a copy, or create just a fake one. Next boot you can choose which one to use by entering its number - just like the save file.

If you want to boot directly by a specific configuration sfs module, use boot parameter (e.g.) lpconfigsfs=Default_Internet (which is then: config_tahr_6.0.5-Default_Internet.sfs). If you want to boot directly without configuration sfs module and no option to choose one at boot up, use boot parameter lpconfigsfs=no.

Though, the your additions to the jwm tray could make some problems as the original tray is replaced at each boot up. If saving to the configuration sfs module will not keep the your settings, let me know. You'll need to edit the windowmanager_xxx_xxx.sfs manually in that case. I'll explain then how to do...
When loading the dashboard at boot up it takes about 30 seconds. Thereafter it will reload in about 2 to 3 seconds. Also, as you suggested, the left and right Windows keys work well and quickly from the keyboard.
Good to hear that it works as intended.
RSH

LazY Puppy

#114 Post by LazY Puppy »

By the way:
I will probably try Wine and its Portable Apps next, though that may have to wait a few days.
If you have setup the your T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 based on tahr64 6.0.5 for the use of 32bit programs in 64bit OS out of the box (by using this), you can only run 32bit Wine PortableApps!

If you want to run 64bit Wine PortableApps you'll need to do some minor changes.

1st you'll need a 64bit Wine SFS
2nd you'll need to change content of

Code: Select all

mywinesfs="LP5_Wine-1.8.1-i486-2.2.sfs"
to the used 64bit Wine SFS
3rd you'll need to switch these two entries

my1portables="PortableApplications"
#my1portables="PortableApplications64"
All of the above entries are in (e.g.): YourBootDir/ConfigData/tahr64.6.0.5.lped.cfg
4th -of course- you'll need some 64bit Wine PortableApps, since the basic setup includes only a single 64bit Wine PortableApp:
YourBootPartition/PortableApplications64/PortableApps/PhotoLine/Photoline64.exe

Let me now, when you'll plan to add some 64bit Wine PortableApps to your setup, and I'll explain how to do and how you'll get them into the Menu Pipes, so that you can execute them just by clicking a menu entry. Wine SFS will be loaded automatically.

If there is anything not working, rename the 64bit Wine SFS to: LP2_WineCorelSuite.sfs and change the appropriate above mentioned entry to LP2_WineCorelSuite.sfs. Probably there is still a static definition of the Wine SFS somewhere in my scripts, that I didn't found yet. But rename it only if there are problems, please!
RSH

ASD

#115 Post by ASD »

RSH,

Thank you for your replies. I will study them in detail when I have more time.

For now, I would like more of your help with the configuration settings. I can "save" some aspects, but not others.

For example I have downloaded TaS (Take a Shot) from SFR and have used it to make the three screen shots below.

I then used dir2sfs on the directory "tahr64_Config-tas" and renamed it "config_tahr64_6.0.5-tas.sfs.

Then I rebooted choosing the tas.sfs and the three screen shots were in /root/downloads (as expected) and the pet of TaS was and is still available.

However, shot (2) shows the changes to the jwm tray (loaded with landscapes per shot (1)) and the changes I wanted to make choosing the DeepBlueBold jwm theme, deleting the seconds from the time via .jwmrc.tray and increasing the text size in the tray display via jwmrc-theme. All failed - so I need and would like detailed advice.
Attachments
(1) is now.png
(197.14 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
(2) would like.png
(217.93 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
(3)directory.png
(81.34 KiB) Downloaded 333 times

LazY Puppy

#116 Post by LazY Puppy »

I then used dir2sfs on the directory "tahr64_Config-tas" and renamed it "config_tahr64_6.0.5-tas.sfs.
:shock:

Why did you create manually an sfs from directory "tahr64_Config-tas" and renamed it "config_tahr64_6.0.5-tas.sfs?

How did you get that directory "tahr64_Config-tas"?

Please, make a copy of config_tahr64_6.0.5-tas.sfs at same location, so you can boot next time to choose to not to use a config sfs module at boot up. When rebooted without to use a config sfs module remove both of the config sfs modules.

If you e.g. installing TaS und want to keep this installation, just go to the menu SFS P.L.U.S. and choose either 'Configuration SFS Management' or 'Save current Configuration'.

Both of them will execute the GUI for Configuration SFS Management (if no config sfs module was loaded). Just enter a name into the entry field and click 'Create'.

If you are e.g. entering default the config sfs module will be created as: config_tahr64_6.0.5-default.sfs. No need to do anything manually on this task.
However, shot (2) shows the changes to the jwm tray (loaded with landscapes per shot (1)) and the changes I wanted to make choosing the DeepBlueBold jwm theme, deleting the seconds from the time via .jwmrc.tray and increasing the text size in the tray display via jwmrc-theme. All failed - so I need and would like detailed advice.
Ok, I was sure the changes on the tray will not stay persistent as the .jwmrc-tray is replaced at every boot.

Just setup the tray once again to your needs. If all is done, copy /root/.jwmrc-tray somewhere to ext partition.

Then copy the windowmanager_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs into directory Update at the same location where the windowmanager_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs is stored.

Open this directory Update in Rox Filer and right-click the copied windowmanager_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs.

Choose Edit or Edit SFS (or similar to that). You can choose RAM to extract the windowmanager_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs.

Copy the edited .jwmrc-tray file into /root inside of the extraction directory of windowmanager_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs.

Put also a copy of .jwmrc-tray into /etc/xdg/jwm-tray/Original inside of the extraction directory of windowmanager_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs.

Then click the Ok button to rebuild the windowmanager_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs. If it is rebuild and offered to copy, move or copy it into that directory Update (just overwrite the existing copy).

At next boot the windowmanager_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs from directory Update will be moved to the original location of windowmanager_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs before it will load (you can see a message at the boot screen of 'Updating T.O.P.L.E.S.S. System SFS Modules' then).

The your changes made should be persistent now.

Anything else you want to change on the jwm menu may need a similar procedure to do. Edit the files and put them into the appropriate paths inside of the extracted windowmanager_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs.

Btw: the cool thingy is: T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 has everything on board, what's needed to edit/create/extract/combine SFS and PET files by right-click options easily!

Edit:

Please keep in mind:

Themes for JWM, GTK, Desktop-Icon-Setup, Sounds and Mouse Cursor are setup and defined in the config files like: tahr64_6.0.5-Space.cfg.

What ever you will change on these settings during the session and probably saving it into the edited windowmanager_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs or into the configuration sfs module will not stay persistent and therefor being overwritten by the values from inside of a config file like: tahr64_6.0.5-Space.cfg.

Everything what's defined in such config file is setup AFTER the Config SFS Module and all T.O.P.L.E.S.S. System SFS Modules are loaded!
Attachments
Screenshot-2016-04-14-02-17-00.jpg
(94 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
RSH

LazY Puppy

#117 Post by LazY Puppy »

Btw.:

Are you familiar with programming in bash?

If so, you can setup everything, if you'll program necessary things.

Use the file tahr64_6.0.5-etc.profile.local in directory BootUp at same location of the directory Update.

This file looks like this by default:

#!/bin/sh
###############################################################################
# T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Script
# - containing Code to be executed from /etc/profile.local

# RSHs Development Section
# Code here is temporary and therefor intended to be included later into
# function 'configexecute' at Script 'functions-include-init' in initrd.gz.
# At least, if it returns 'stable', 'necessary' and/or somehow 'useful'!

## Copy modified PuppyPin into its path
#if [ "`which quickpet`" != "" ]; then
#	cp -af /usr/local/TOPLESS/PuppyPins/PuppyPin-QuickPet /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/
#	else
#	cp -af /usr/local/TOPLESS/PuppyPins/PuppyPin-NoQuickPet /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/
#fi

# Remove installing the tahr bugfix installation routine/files, as it breaks
# some Files/Scripts from T.O.P.L.E.S.S., like: fixmenus, sfs_load, ... 
if [[ -f /root/firstrun/bugfix || -f /usr/sbin/bugfix ]]; then
	rm -r /root/firstrun
	rm -f /usr/sbin/bugfix
	rm -f /usr/sbin/bugfix_version
	rm -f /usr/share/applications/bugfix.desktop
fi

# End of RSHs Development Section

# Default Section, MUST be in all -etc.profile.local Files

# !!! Do NOT remove or comment out this Variable, if this File doesn't include
# any else Bash Code !!! T.O.P.L.E.S.S. /etc/profile.local will fail then !!!
DUMMYVAR=0
# !!! This File at least needs one (1) Code Definition for Bash to have some
# Content in between of a 'if [...]; then' and 'fi' !!! 

# End of default Section, MUST be in all -etc.profile.local Files

# User Section - please add the your Code below the next Line

# End of User Section

# End of T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Script
It is executed after all T.O.P.L.E.S.S. settings are made. So you can change everything that's already setup by this file's programmed code.
RSH

ASD

#118 Post by ASD »

RSH,

Much later, I will read your replies more carefully and try, with my limited knowledge, to understand them.

Meantime, I will address the questions you asked:

(1)
How did you get that directory "tahr64_Config-tas"?
By typing "tas" in the box shown in your screen shot and clicking the "Create" button.

(2)
Why did you create manually an sfs from directory "tahr64_Config-tas" and renamed it "config_tahr64_6.0.5-tas.sfs?
(a) because getting an sfs file using the "box and button" rarely (might be 1 of every 10 attempts) produced an sfs file without the date and time included in its name. I have tried this so many times that I can sense if it has worked or failed without checking.
(b) because producing an sfs file with the date and time included in its name (using any of your three methods) has never (when chosen during a reboot) reloaded my Pale Moon browser add-ons or any of its settings that I made.
(c) because of (a) and (b) I tried dir2sfs and it worked (after fixing the sfs name).

(3)
Are you familiar with programming in bash?
Most definitely not.

Your comment:
Themes for JWM, GTK, Desktop-Icon-Setup, Sounds and Mouse Cursor are setup and defined in the config files like: tahr64_6.0.5-Space.cfg.
However, such changes to e.g. tahr64_6.0.5-Space.cfg cannot be made using the mainly 1 and 0 options via the three edit windows.

------------------

T.O.P.L.E.S.S strikes me as an exceptional combination of your artistry and computing skill and I find it fascinating. You can make it sing and dance and you are most helpful.
However, tahr64_6.0.5 is already a fully working masterpiece and, for me, implementing any changes made by 666philb should be simple, but adding those changes to T.O.P.L.E.S.S might need your help.

LazY Puppy

#119 Post by LazY Puppy »

Date and time is added to the name of the config sfs module ONLY if you are saving configuration again to a loaded config sfs module. Before saving the configuration again, the old config sfs module is renamed by adding date and time to its name. So, you'll have backups of the previous used config sfs module/s, in case something was going wrong at last time saving the current configuration to the config sfs module.

If you are saving again to a loaded config sfs module, the new config sfs module is stored into that directory Update just as I described in my pre-previous post and it will be moved to its original location overwriting the original one at boot. And yes, each save process creates a new config sfs module including current date and time in its name (as the up to date backup).

So, if you are loading such config sfs module with name and date added just means you are loading the old version, but not the one containing your newly saved changes.

All of the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. System SFS Modules (including the Configuration SFS Module) are following the rules for names of the puppies sfs files like: devx_tahr_6.0.5.sfs or puppy_tahr_6.0.5.sfs. None of them includes date and time, so I tought it's being a good idea to add date and time to the backup files of the config sfs module.

And yes: in some rare cases one would be in the need for my help on T.O.P.L.E.S.S. - just as anyone had been in the need for any help on any Puppy when he started to use Puppy Linux first time or as a newbie.

Never mind; I'm just here for that...

However: T.O.P.L.E.S.S. is mainly and especially addressed to those users -like me- who prefer to run Puppy in RAM (no save file, no save directory, PUPMODE=5), but would like to have some options to keep persistent settings without to do a remaster each time. If anyone's lucky by the default use of a Puppy by using save file and/or save directory, stay with that.

I don't like to use a save file or save directory, so I had made thousands of remasters since the day I had joined the forum as RSH. It's a good option, it's a nice option, it's really a top option! But after around 5000 remasters it's getting boring and am being tired to do a remaster to keep only a changed default wallpaper.

My last remaster ever had been made on 22 Feb 2016 and I'm continuing to NOT to do a remaster anymore but doing persistent changes etc.pp. by T.O.P.L.E.S.S.
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Thu 14 Apr 2016, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
RSH

LazY Puppy

#120 Post by LazY Puppy »

Your comment:
However, such changes to e.g. tahr64_6.0.5-Space.cfg cannot be made using the mainly 1 and 0 options via the three edit windows.
As you can see in that attached image, the PConfig GUI offers combobox lists to choose the themes for JWM,GTK, Desktop-Icon-Setup, Sounds and Mouse Cursor as well as for the available Wallpapers and SFS Modules to load (these are just under a different tab).

All of the 0 and 1 options are just there to switch the related option itself to on/off.

You just need to save it into the directory ConfigData just where that directory Update is located. As you can see in the statusbar of the above mentioned image: the config file loaded into the PConfig GUI is loaded from /etc. So if you just save it back to this, all changes -of course- will be lost at next boot - even if you would save the current configuration to the config sfs module.

The config file in /etc is copied to /etc from that directory ConfigData at boot up.
RSH