Moneydance finance manager; sharing Java

Business software, financial software, etc.
bald eagle

Moneydance finance manager; sharing Java

#1 Post by bald eagle »

I have good news about an application and a follow-on question.
I have been using Moneydance personal finance manager (similar to Quicken) for some time with excellent results on Linspire. I am changing over to Puppy and I have just successfully downloaded Moneydance 2006 and it works just fine.

Moneydance recommended that their version with JAVA be downloaded with the program as opposed to a separate JAVA installation and I did so.

Now I have another JAVA application (5 line Skink, a music notation program) I would like to use with Puppy and I see no reason to download yet another copy of JAVA. I have located the version bundled with Moneydance in;
root/usr/local/moneydance/jre/bin

1. How do I add this directory to the search path so other JAVA apps can find it?
2. I have tried running java -jar Skink.jar in this directory with no success. In fact, I cannot seem to get any response when I type java in ROX in spite of the fact that it operates Moneydance perfectly.

I am a Linux amateur and would appreciate some help in setting up JAVA to work with multiple applications.

Thanks !![/b]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

put this in /etc/profile.local:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/moneydance/jre
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME

or whatever the exact path to the directory is

then reboot

if there is no file called profile.local in /etc, just create it first (in a Rox window, you can right click and click New, Blank File) ... or type:

> /etc/profile.local

bald eagle

#3 Post by bald eagle »

Thanks a lot for the tip -- it worked perfectly and I was able to get my music edit program to load.

However, for some reason, this JAVA application is not able to access ALSA. I have re-configured ALSA several times and it seems to work all right (al least the puppy barks).

Is there some magic to getting a JAVA app to access ALSA under Puppy?

Thanks!!
[/quote]

Pelo

Moneydance

#4 Post by Pelo »

Moneydance is sucessfull within Windows world, still alive 2016. Would Linux users enjoy it ? It was especially created for Linux. But Linuxians are still in their workshops, cellars or attics, compiling again and again. Downloaded Moneydance for a casting....
MoneyDance last version relased 2015, for Puppy housekeepers, for accounts survey. No need to know linux language, a bit of englih should be necessary, as usual.
I store these Java applications on my disk C: - i.e sda2-, windows 7 so i can work with them either with Windows or Puppy Linux.
Puppy Linux needs to keep under 250MB to run fast on old computers, saved from trash.
Why is the topic so old and with no feed back ? MoneyDance is used by families, ignoring all of linux computing... XP gets very slow, hard disk are full, it's a second chance for Puppy to retrieve some users, beside its roots.
Alsa with MoneyDance :P :P :P , it's not for dancing !
Attachments
Moneydance.jpg
(79.56 KiB) Downloaded 490 times

Pelo

It's not for Puppy, home OS.

#5 Post by Pelo »

wine dances Moneydance without needing the java
It's not for Puppy, home OS MoneyDance is for macro-economists.

Pelo

make your accounts with monyDance thanks to Wine

#6 Post by Pelo »

Puppy 5.7.1 hungarian version can make your accounts with moneyDance thanks to Wine included, free of charg, and no need of Java.
Currencies available should be modified, because euro is not listed, only US dollar can be used by euro community, that a reason of boycott.
Attachments
argent.jpg
Hungarians will not invest here, their money is unknown.
(67.54 KiB) Downloaded 319 times