Linux Users=Idiots?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
gonkbag

#41 Post by gonkbag »

My 15 year old single core PC is as fast as my son's latest multi core Windows box for general use, if not quicker.
Mine too.
I used to cry in utter frustration at the ten odd minutes my girlfriends laptop used to take to boot win7 and then go and make a camomile tea to calm down while I waited another few minutes for the browser to open.
She can now browse the net about 25 seconds after hitting the go button, thanks to slacko (going to try the 64 bit version later).

Back to the original quote/image, it is ironic that the picture's purpose is to slag off linux for its percieved complexity, but ends up reinforcing the fact that most people are selfish, ignorant and lazy, they are spoon fed shite by the likes of microsoft, apple and politicians etc, and go on facebook/twitter to be told what thier opinion is and therefore deserve microsoft and apple telling them how computing should be.
GNU/Linux is just one way of saying I'm not a sheep, I can make my own mind up thanks and I'm not scared to look under the hood.
Having said that, if you look under the hood of windows, osx or ios there's just another hood !

musher0

#42 Post by musher0 »

gonkbag wrote:
> GNU/Linux is just one way of saying I'm not a sheep, I can make my own mind
up thanks and I'm not scared to look under the hood.

Ditto.

Ooo-wah! Linux people are not idiots. They're just plain downright dangerous
for society ;) because: they can think
-- over the hood and under the hood
-- in the box and out of the box.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

8Geee

#43 Post by 8Geee »

I never went past W98-2 (last of the Winows as root?). In 2006, with a bunch of stuff removed from said OS, power-button to screen was 2 minutes using a barton-core AMD 3200+ single (2.2Ghz). No mem-count. 300 watts using a power-cord meter

Pupply slacko 5.7 trimmed with a trimmed office and avidemeux is...

5 times smaller footprint (2.2Gb vs. 440Mb)
2 times faster (120sec. vs. 58sec.)
Consumes 1/10th the power including modem/router ;oP
Atom Diamondville (1st gen) 1.6GHz (7Watt)
(I'd like to pop in a Celeron N2840 (Quad 2.16GHz 10 Watter) just for giggles. zoom!

I may be 'dumb' but I try not to feed the hand that bit me (power comsumption --> fossil fuel --> foreign sourced --> Mid-East).

bloaters gotta fill, and wasters gotta consume
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

bigpup

#44 Post by bigpup »

I think of Linux and Puppy Linux this way:
Attachments
smart-mouse (1).jpg
(78.39 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

musher0

#45 Post by musher0 »

Good thinking, mouse!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

is the topic about Linux or about users ?

#46 Post by Pelo »

is the topic about Linux or about users ?
Linux is not Idiot, but its users, are.
Yes they are. excepted one, pelo :)

musher0

Re: is the topic about Linux or about users ?

#47 Post by musher0 »

Pelo wrote:is the topic about Linux or about users ?
Linux is not Idiot, but its users, are.
Yes they are. excepted one, pelo :)
Hahaha. You're not funny, pelo. :roll:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

jlst

#48 Post by jlst »

If you're just a user that wants a working system... you're no fool. Its easy to get that.
The problem is when you start learning more and more that you become some sort of devoloper.. I don't know.

Pelo

Where is this damned bug in your programm

#49 Post by Pelo »

and that is the beginning of 'idiot' attitude. You ignore your family, the world, your bank account, the only thing that has value, is this damned bug in your programm :!:
Linux, Puppy, is an easy way to programs. in the past it was Basic.
It's difficult to keep out of your mind your program, I had a friend of mine who has divorced not because of linux, but because of langage machine.
At work he was repairing colleagues computers, most of the time.
He could have loose its job, he was given a second chance, because in France, workers are well protected (or boss has humanity)
Idiot is not the word, addict is.
The worse is that everybody don't mind what you do, nobody will clap hands when your succeed. You are alone, completely alone.
Musher0, don't be sad :!: please. Take time for amusement. That will be painful for us if you would loose Humour :(

WB7ODYFred

Other linux based digital audio workstations

#50 Post by WB7ODYFred »

http://www.getstudio1337.com/

Since you talked about 16 or 24 audio track recording simutaneously, I wonder if this DAW Digital Audio Workstation solution on a USB flash drive might work for your use. Or maybe I am an Linux idiot and you need something else.

Anybody else proffer Linux DAW solutions??

LazY Puppy

Re: Other linux based digital audio workstations

#51 Post by LazY Puppy »

WB7ODYFred wrote:http://www.getstudio1337.com/

Since you talked about 16 or 24 audio track recording simutaneously, I wonder if this DAW Digital Audio Workstation solution on a USB flash drive might work for your use. Or maybe I am an Linux idiot and you need something else.

As I wrote in another post of this topic:
By the way: Puppy Studio could not recognize my external 16/24 Multi Track Audio Mixer and it was not stable on both of my machines (Studio 4 & 14.37 (1 & 2) 32bit versions).
Not being stable means exactly (e.g. one issue): need to move the mouse for miles to get the mouse cursor moved ten pixels on the screen. And there was another issue on the keyboard after starting Jack Control (qjackctl).

All of the keys pressed returning doubled output, so hit 'r' returns 'rr'. No chance to get the damn thing working properly on my machine.

By the way: hit 'backspace' once, removes both of the output 'r'.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rokytnji

#52 Post by rokytnji »

Never mind.

Keisha

Re: Other linux based digital audio workstations

#53 Post by Keisha »

First Toni and Fred lured me to DebianDog and then I decided to try the distro that Linus Torvalds himself uses: for the past year I've been using the Korora spin of Fedora, with an xfce4 desktop. I found it to Just Plain Work, Always, and it gets security and update upgrades faster than Debian (and way faster than Puppy). At present I believe Fedora to be The Best Linux Distro. The only way it could possibly be better would be if some genius could Puppify it.

I have not yet tried this, but in theory, once you have Fedora all set up, you can visit Planet CCRMA (the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics, pronounced "karma," hosted at Stanford University)

(see https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fe ... edora.html
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_CCRMA)

and equip Fedora with a realtime kernel. And then with anything else your heart might desire in the way of musicians' software.

As I say I have not tried a realtime kernel on Fedora/Korora, but it appears it would be trivially easy to duplicate the functionality of Puppy Studio or Studio 13.37 from CCRMA using Fedora's dnf package manager.

For my mere purposes of websurfing, digital photography, and office apps Fedora 23 has been absolutely bulletproof. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the best DAW platform too, after you trick it out at CCRMA. Usual caveats apply of course, for example with a realtime kernel you want to use ps2 keyboard and mouse.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

Pelo

Linux Torvald doesn't install Debian, so complicated.

#54 Post by Pelo »

" DebianDog and then I decided to try the distro that Linus Torvalds himself uses: "
Linux Torvald doesn't install Debian, so complicated.
Linus is only an user, as me (TV interview)
"Linus used to run Fedora on his Macbook Air 11"
"I took a glance at Linus' recent g+ update, he was on Fedora and just upgraded to F21.
"As my understanding he doesn't use it and doesn't hate it either."
This man always has Puppy in the pocket. (traced on Google+)
Google + ??? in french forum, The Senators will kick him out. :!:

kb8amz

#55 Post by kb8amz »

@rufwoof - An idiots idea of a idiot is like two negatives making a positive.
I agree. Not burning any brain cells to illicit a comment on such a benign statement/graphic.

Most people that make this kind of comment have never used another OS.

Pelo

Fedora es la Puppy del maestro.

#56 Post by Pelo »

"At present I believe Fedora to be The Best Linux Distro. The only way it could possibly be better would be if some genius could Puppify it. "
Fedora es la Puppy del maestro.
What about users and Idiot, why Idiot ? because of Linux ?
the title makes no difference between linux distros.
as Puppy is a light linux, perhaps we are less idiots than Fedorians or Ubuntians.