USB Boot on IBM 600X?

Booting, installing, newbie
edoc

USB Boot on IBM 600X?

#1 Post by edoc »

Anyone booted Puppy from the USB port on an IBM 600X?

I don't even see an option to do so in BIOS.

doc

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

have you tried plugging in the USB device before switch-on?

Don't know if it will really help, but on my PC here the bios doesn't give the USB boot option unless it actually has the device present.

danleff

#3 Post by danleff »

I don't think this is an option on this system. I looked at the user's manual. Options are FDD (floppy), PCMCIA, HDD (hard drive) and Network boot options.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

edoc

USB Boot on IBM 600X?

#4 Post by edoc »

danleff wrote:I don't think this is an option on this system. I looked at the user's manual. Options are FDD (floppy), PCMCIA, HDD (hard drive) and Network boot options.
I am trying to get the USB floppy workaround to work ... did something wrong because the floppy isn't recognized as bootable.

Was in a rush earlier today, will have to wait 'til Wed. to get back to it. Will report results if I get the floppy-usb two-step to work on the 600X. Still want the USB stick to boot on other newer computers and preferably across platforms.

doc

keenerd

#5 Post by keenerd »

On the BIOS: Did you find a way to get to a 'real' bios? Most Thinkpads (my 600e and what I've read about the other 600 series) from that series have a dumbed down, mouse driven, animated bios. There are a few shortcut keys to enable advanced diagnostic modes, but altogether it's pretty limited.

Best resource I've found so far: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki