Mypaint 1.1.0

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
don570

Mypaint 1.1.0

#1 Post by don570 »

On this page are several compiles of mypaint 1.1.0
for various distros

It is possible to install the mypaint v1.1.0 application if the following instructions are
followed:

1) Install a fully working Python installation. Download is
available HERE. Note there are 4 pet package to be install :roll:

Check that you have a working installation by typing in console

Code: Select all

python -V
The version should be shown in console ---> 2.7.8

2) To install mypaint app , 2 more pet package must be installed.

File: numpy-april64-1.9.1.pet
Size: 8.38 MB
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/bf0a8e5e
(untick box to avoid downloader app)

File: mypaint-april64-1.1.0.pet
Size: 34.06 MB
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/06516675
(untick the box to avoid the downloader app)

32 bit April
mypaint-april-1.1.0.pet 37 mb
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/affde30a
(untick the box to avoid the downloader app)

and also install a full version of Python 2.7.8 including numpy
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97945

For precise puppy , slacko tahr or tooppy linux
mypaint-precise-1.1.0.pet 33mb
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/1f924bd3

For wheezy linux compiled in Pupjibaro Wheezy 1.0.6 beta

File: mypaint-wheezy-1.1.0.pet
Size: 31.77 MB
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/6d370038

Check to see if your installation is working by typing 'mypaint' in console.
If you see a warning message that mentions numpy then you haven't installed
the numpy pet.

When mypaint launches an errors window appears, but it can be
closed by clicking 'Close' button.

If a python programmer knows how to stop this window from appearing
contact me.
Last edited by don570 on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 00:37, edited 7 times in total.

David Andrew

#2 Post by David Andrew »

Sir, many thanks for putting this together.

I've managed to install this on Puppy Lighthouse 64, (with a few more dependencies). I've been trying forever to get this to work with Lighthouse. I thought I'd never see the day.

This will save me the trouble of migrating and dual booting all the time from now on.

I get the same Python error, but there where no issues during my test run.

don570

#3 Post by don570 »

I should download fatdog 700 and see if it works as well.
fatdog has the wacom X driver inside so there would be no trouble with
pressure sensitivity. Thanks for report.

David Andrew

#4 Post by David Andrew »

don570 wrote:I should download fatdog 700 and see if it works as well.
fatdog has the wacom X driver inside so there would be no trouble with
pressure sensitivity. Thanks for report.

Having tried your pets on a fresh L64 without savefile, it also did not work.

I will investigate as to exactly what else needs to be done, and then I'll post a step-by-step here for Lighthouse 64 users.

There was an additional benefit: GIMP 2.8 can now export .ORA files, and I've got a bunch of plugins now working that never appeared before. This is probably due to your Python pet.

One side effect is that Playonlinux no longer works properly because of python issues, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

David Andrew

Installing Mypaint on Lighthouse 64

#5 Post by David Andrew »

Turns out, that simply installing Don's pets will not work on Lighthouse 64 without a certain method. For some reason, LH64 is very fussy about how it is installed, and additional steps are required. So here's a simple step-by-step guide for LH64 users (this is also to enable .ORA file support with Gimp on LH64, which does not work by default):

First of all, if you have a saved file, take the precaution of backing it up before you follow this. I can't vouch for potential conflicts it might cause with python applications that I don't use, unfortunately.

Step 1: Upgrade LH64's default Gimp 2.8 to 2.8.14 by downloading the TXZ package from here:

http://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/ ... are64/xap/

It will install just by double clicking on it. This is important to get .ORA files working.

Step 2: Install this Slackware 64 fftw package:

http://pkgs.org/slackware-14.1/slackwar ... 1.txz.html

I don't know if it's needed for .ORA files, but it is needed for G'MiC. Just to be on the safe side.

Step 3: If you have any Python packages installed, whether it be pets or other packages that LH64 supports, uninstall them.

Step 4: go to /usr/lib and delete the entire "python 2.7" directory. This is important.

Step 5: Download the Python 2.7.5 TXZ package from here:

http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackw ... kware64/d/

Then install it.

Step 6: Download all of Don's pets from the OP, and install them (except his python) in the exact order as shown here, starting with the numpy pet:

Mypaint should now work. You will still get an error message as reported in the OP, but it will still work after closing this message:

Please note that Don's Python is not needed, so leave it out. I have it installed on my own setup and it hasn't caused any bother, but everything works fine without it. I believe the Slackware Python 2.7.5 was a major culprit in getting it to work.

Additional notes: After you install the Gimp 2.8.14 Slackware 64 package, Gimp will disappear from the start menu. Don't worry, as it can still be launched from the terminal. You just need to add it back to the menu manually.

don570

#6 Post by don570 »

I compiled in april 32bit and precise puppy linux

for more choice. It works well with the pressure sensitivity in precise slacko tahr tooppy. 8)

josejp2424

mpin pupjibaro wheezy

#7 Post by josejp2424 »

download mpaint and python, but it gives me mistake on having opened

Code: Select all

We are not correctly installed or compiled!
script: "/usr/bin/mypaint"
deduced prefix: "/usr"
lib_shared: "/usr/share/mypaint/"
lib_compiled: "/usr/lib/mypaint/"

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/mypaint", line 170, in <module>
    datapath, extradata, confpath, localepath, localepath_brushlib = get_paths()
  File "/usr/bin/mypaint", line 111, in get_paths
    from lib import mypaintlib
  File "/usr/share/mypaint/lib/mypaintlib.py", line 28, in <module>
    _mypaintlib = swig_import_helper()
  File "/usr/share/mypaint/lib/mypaintlib.py", line 20, in swig_import_helper
    import _mypaintlib
ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import

don570

#8 Post by don570 »

This is caused by not installing numpy which is in my python package I
posted or perhaps you have installed numpy and it wasn't compiled
specifically for your distro.

I have downloaded and will check to make sure my packages work correctly.

don570

#9 Post by don570 »

When I checked I realised that I had not posted all the python pets
that are necessary. I have now posted these as an archive that can be
opened up and install all the pets.

Check for download on python page.

Wheezy mypaint package will now work if all the python pets are installed.

josejp2424

mypaint-1.1.0

#10 Post by josejp2424 »

Now if it works. Thank you don570.

mypaint 1.1.0 pupjibaro_wheezy_1.0.6

Pelo

My paint from PPM tarhrpup not working ?

#11 Post by Pelo »

The easier way was to use VanPup by upupRaring , i thought.
utilisation Forum Ubuntu
MyPaint is not really what i thought, it's mainly for drawing, not for editing Photographic
Attachments
MyPaint.jpg
Painting needs too much time.
(63.26 KiB) Downloaded 438 times

Pelo

mypaint-1.1.0_sfs4.sfs: 51 M

#12 Post by Pelo »

mypaint-1.1.0_sfs4.sfs: 51 M would satisfy painters with a Puppy as Precise 5.4.3. My paint does it. I am not concerned in fact. I edit only my Camera's pictures

mikeslr

Mypaint 1.1.0 via Quickpet Tahr

#13 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I installed Mypaint into Tahrpup 6.0.5 via its Quickpet so I don't know if this error also pertains to don570's build. At any rate, opening Mypaint via a terminal reports a missing icon, namely "gtk-missing-image", or at least that's what googling the error message suggested.

At any rate, installing the attached image to /usr/share/icons seems to satisfy it: opening via terminal no longer displays that message.

I also did not install don570's Python 2.7.8 including numpy. Tahrpup 6.0.5's pfind reports python including numpy already present. I think it's version 2.7.7. This is a nearly "virgin" Tahrpup -- I keep a SaveFile just for testing purposes. Currently all that is installed is gnewpet and PaDS, Only (I think Oscartalk's) jdk-8u77 is sfs-loaded.

@ Pelo -- IIRC, somewhere you suggested that only Mypaint in Vincent VanPup works correctly. Have you tested Mypaint in Tahrpup? If so, what functions aren't working?

I agree with your assessment. This is too important a program for graphic artists to only have fully functional in a Puppy which isn't supported and, unfortunately, was based on an Ubuntu variant which Ubuntu no longer supports*. [It's Quickpet no longer connects to an existing repo. I didn't try to use PPM to access Ubuntu repos as my recollection is that they no longer exists].

This should not be taken as a criticism of either pemasu --who created the original raring-- or starhawk who chose one of the most advanced Puppies at the time to flesh-out with many fine graphics programs. It is rather a recognition of how far Puppy development has progressed and how significantly different Puppy development is to Ubuntu development.

Ubuntu has the resources to, from time to time, publish "limited edition" versions along with an announcement that beyond "such" date it will not be supported. This seems to be their method of testing new kernels, the applications which are to run under them, and otherwise try new ideas.

Puppy Linux does not have those resources. But when pemasu woofed raring-3.9.9, that was the only practical method to create a "cutting edge" ubuntu-based Puppy. Since that time, the procedure by which a Puppy's kernel (firmware and drivers) can be replaced by newer or different kernels (firmware and drivers) along with developments in woof to facilitate such switching have progressed to the point where it is almost routine.

It might not be as much fun, but I think it would be more efficient for Puppy devs to take advantage of new developments in the distros whose binaries they use to woof Puppies, to include such developments in "Long-term-supported" Puppies, rather than to "start from scratch" to woof the latest development build.

Of what use, for example, is it to create a Puppy whose PPM will provide the ability to install debs from a Ubuntu repository which will cease to exist in a couple of months? How does the user of such Puppy install security fixes for problems only discovered after Ubuntu published a version?

mikesLr
Attachments
gtk-missing-image.png
place png in /usr/share/icons
(9.63 KiB) Downloaded 424 times

LazY Puppy

#14 Post by LazY Puppy »

The gtk-missing-image should be in gtk-stock since it is a gtk-stock icon.

Probably your gtkdialog or gtk package is faulty?

I'm in tahr 6.0.5 and the gtk-missing-image is still there.
Attachments
Screenshot-2016-05-02-01-15-13.jpg
(33.91 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Pelo

drawing takes in account the pressure of the pencil.

#15 Post by Pelo »

Beyond installing MyPaint, (VanPup has it installed and running) i find that colous available are "Washed", 'délavées' in french.
Is it a bad use of the brushes ?
MyPaint seems to be for tactiles computers, because drawing takes in account the pressure of the pencil. My computer is a standard one. The mouse is the pencil.
Somebody knows more about that ?
However i only use a camera, MyPaint could produce nice effects on my pictures. My first tries were deceiving (see Rugby on the screenshot above)
I regret that developers take so much pain installing applications, for us, for our hobbies. But understand that a Puppy wouldn't have interest if only for compiling new puppies. I Thank them a Lot :wink: and we will be there to get success.