[SOLVED] Puppy 64 bit - I miss my Quickpet!

Booting, installing, newbie
Relztrah

[SOLVED] Puppy 64 bit - I miss my Quickpet!

#1 Post by Relztrah »

Well, I upgraded to 64 bit Puppy and aside from a few changes that move my cheese such as the taskbar at the top of the screen and no desktop icons, I am slowly, very slowly beginning to like it.

With Tahrpup I frequently used the Quickpet feature since I don't know how to download and install packages. But the 64 bit version of Puppy has no Quickpet. At least I have not found it.

So where do i find Spotify? I went to the Spotify website and got the attached instructions. This was for Ubuntu and I assumed it would work. (Yes, I know what assume means.)

Just like when I was learning Tahrpup, I'm going to take this one step at a time. For now, all I want is Spotify.

As always, thank you for your help for this newbie.
Attachments
spotify.png
(24.32 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Last edited by Relztrah on Wed 27 Apr 2016, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

Are you sure you downloaded the right ISO?

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Relztrah,

Are you sure you downloaded the right ISO? Tahrpup64 is my default Puppy. I got it from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96748

Quickpet has a menu-listing at Menu>Setup>Quickpet. It's been a while since I started using it. I thought there was a Quickpet desktop icon.* But maybe it only appeared after I setup my internet connection and clicked the Bugfix desktop icon. Or maybe I dragged it from /usr/share/applications.

At any rate, starting Quickpet and clicking the Audio Tab shows you can install spotify using it.

mikeslr

* I no longer have desktop icons. Removed them after installing mavrothal's jwm_app_tray-1.1.pet, available here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76896

LazY Puppy

#3 Post by LazY Puppy »

Quickpet icon appears at the desktop after bugfix is installed. Bugfix icon will disappear then.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Relztrah

#4 Post by Relztrah »

I don't have Bugfix in /usr/share/applications. I looked for it using pFind file finder using the all files option and no files were found. So somehow this version doesn't have it. I can't help but wonder, What else am I missing?

Regarding the version, I believe I'm using Slacko64 Puppy 6.3.0 but I don't know how to verify that. I also believe that I downloaded it from http://slacko.eezy.xyz/download.php.

Is there a different site to download the iso? I didn't see a link to get it at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96748

On a positive note I figured out how to move the taskbar to the bottom of the screen.

mikeslr

Ah Hah!

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Slacko64 6.3 doesn't have either Bugfix or Quickpet -- they are systems only found in Tahrpup (and derivatives).

If I get a chance, I'll boot into Slacko64 6.3 and see if I can figure something out.

But Slacko64 6.3 has an active thread: there have been many recent posts to it. And Slackos in general have many knowledgeable followers and testors. If you want quick and accurate answers, I'd suggest the best place to post any question regarding a Puppy with a recent thread is on that Puppy's thread.

mikesLr

Bushbuck

#6 Post by Bushbuck »

Relztrah wrote: Regarding the version, I believe I'm using Slacko64 Puppy 6.3.0 but I don't know how to verify that.
Are you a Tahr fan?

Slacko Puppy 64 (6.3.0) is a different build to Tahr Puppy 64, which is currently on 6.0.5, I believe. That's what I'm using, anyway.

Apart from having to replicate my tweaks from the 32-bit Tahr 6.0, it's all good. My bugfix icon went away after I had to use the "rearrange drive icons" thing (desktop mgr), but you can run the same thing from the menu.

PS, for currently unknown reasons, I couldn't get Slacko 64 to boot on my computer.
Xenial Puppy 64, Gigabyte motherboard, Intel i7 4770.

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Bushbuck

Questions
when you attempted Slacko64 boot:
  1. Did you atttempt a LiveCD/DVD boot?
  2. Did the boot fail with ...sfs not found message?
Curious

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, reltzrah.

Quite simple to implement, actually.....for Tahrpup (currently on 6.05).

Menu>Setup>Tahr Updates. This will apply the bugfix. If you then do a re-boot, you should find, when you go into Menu>Setup, that you now have an entry for Quickpet.

(You may find that you don't need to re-boot. I tend to do this automatically after an update, so that the changes get written to the save-folder.)

As has been stated, if you are indeed using Slacko64 6.3.0, you're not going to find 'Quickpet', since it is, as far as I'm aware, peculiar to the Tahrpup derivatives; mikeslr is quite right on this point. 'Quickpet' is indeed an excellent feature, though the only thing I have found in the past is that it doesn't always seem to pull all of the necessary dependencies in, despite essentially being a simplified GUI front-end for the Tahr PPM.

01micko has at times during Slacko's history implemented a similar feature called 'Slickpet'. However, I've never found it to be anywhere near as comprehensive as Phil's 'Quickpet'. This is more than likely due to the fact that as far as I can tell, Micko seems to prefer a very simplified Puppy, not too weighed down with 'extras'.

(I run a derivative of Precise 571 by ETP, called 'Chromebook' Pup. It contains a 'Quickpet' feature, though I suspect that ETP may have 'borrowed' this from Tahrpup, or one of the earlier Tahrpup betas.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Bushbuck:- Where are you running Slacko from; hard drive, or USB? I only ask since I, too, have had problems getting it to boot from a USB stick. I've never had the slightest problem getting 570 to boot from USB, but for 630, Mick's introduced a whole raft of new features.....some of which may be responsible for this behaviour? I don't know.

Mike. :wink:

Bushbuck

#9 Post by Bushbuck »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @Bushbuck

Questions
when you attempted Slacko64 boot:
  1. Did you atttempt a LiveCD/DVD boot?
  2. Did the boot fail with ...sfs not found message?
Curious
I was trying to boot off the Slacko 64 6.3 boot CD. It's in an external USB CD drive, and both the test machines can successfully boot other puppy CDs this way.

It gets to the "wait 5 seconds to boot" message, starts booting...

I thought it locked up, but on my small notebook, after a few minutes it said it had a read error, and then "Invalid or corrupt kernel image". Looks like I've burnt a bad CD.

Relztrah

#10 Post by Relztrah »

Obviously I am running the Slacko variety which I am unfamiliar with and I want Tahrpup64. Where do I download the iso?

dancytron

#11 Post by dancytron »

Relztrah wrote:Obviously I am running the Slacko variety which I am unfamiliar with and I want Tahrpup64. Where do I download the iso?
http://puppylinux.com/index.html#download

Relztrah

#12 Post by Relztrah »

Ahhh, yes. I'm back to my familiar Tahrpup interface and I'm using a much faster, more powerful machine, for me anyway. (A hand-me-down from my son.) And there's my Quickpet!
:D
How do I put SOLVED in front of my post?

If there is a way to make a donation with PayPal to help support this forum, or Puppy Linux generally, please post the link. I will most certainly contribute.

gcmartin

#13 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Relztrah
Relztrah wrote:... How do I put SOLVED in front of my post? ...
This can be done as follows:
  1. Insure you are signed in to the Puppy forum
  2. Navigate to your very 1st post (known as the "opening post")
  3. Click the "Edit" button in the upper right corner of the post
  4. Just below the wide solid blue bar, change the Title adding the word <Solved>
  5. Click the Submit button of that screen to see your change(s)
Hope this is helpful

Bushbuck

#14 Post by Bushbuck »

PS, gcmartin, I just burned a fresh Slacko 64 6.3.0 CD, and it booted up OK.
Last attempt must have been a dud.

On casual inspection it works fine; computer is an old Sony VAIO from ~ 2008.