(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 25 Jan 2021, 07:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64 702 Final [7 Feb 2016] [CLOSED]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 18 of 21 [309 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Next
kb8amz

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr 2016, 05:05    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Uhh! Got the phantom mouse syndrome after returning from a screensaver. [You know, it's there but you can't see it, except, if you wave it about (!) it occasionally lights up a word/icon/w.h.y. as you drift across it.] Guess we've all experienced this but never really understood why. Problem persists after CTRL-ALT-BKSPCE/xwin.

I have had the same problem with FD 7.02, 17FEB2016 iso, and tried xwin in terminal. xwin not restarting desktop. Tried startx and desktop restarts with cursor visible. I didn't keep a written of list of things that I tried, but I remember stopping the screen saver through the FD Control Panel and stopping any activation screensaver. I prefer not to use screensaver when laptop is plugged into A/C outlet. PC/desktop doesn't go to sleep now an disappearing cursor problem not a problem. I don't have enough experience to guess why.

My first download from ibiblio of FD702 iso, 12MAR2016, apparently corrupted as my laptop didn't read an iso on the CD. Even after discovering which 'F' key to press on boot to get to BIOS find out what was set/not set for POST. I learned that UEFI was set, now disabled, and set 1st boot device to be DVDROM, sr0. This laptop is my newest hardware purchase in more than 10 years. UEFI is new to me, as is PAE. Laptop came with Whine doze 10 but I have no need for since going totally Linux DEC2015.

Maybe I will discover a fix as I read on the remainder of this thread. It's taken me 2 days and 2 sessions each day to read through to page 11. Thanks JB and others that know more than I and are doing the grunt work to make this a super FD. Terry, KB8AMZ
SFR

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr 2016, 09:48    Post subject:  

Belham wrote:
a tray icon that will show the status of your firewall?
[...]
Is there a way for something like that in Fatdog64? Does it already exist??

Not that I know of...
However, I just wrote a simple script (I was going to make something like this for myself, anyway), so check if it works ok for you.
Just extract and click it.

Greetings!
firetray-0.1.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  firetray-0.1.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.19 KB 
Downloaded  487 Time(s) 

Belham

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr 2016, 17:30    Post subject:  

Hi SFR,

I always love it when I've read your posts over the past few years--I normally lurk as a user, as I have to go read and study and play with stuff in-depth when you guys get going on something technical in any of the puppies........but when I've read your past posts, you'll always invariably say something like "Oh, I made this simple change here"..."....or "there..." or, like now, "...I've wrote a simple script...".....and I only laugh at how spot on all the stuff is. So, I downloaded this, ran the script, and sure as the sun rises, a beautiful lit up green firewall is now ensconced in my fatdog702 tray (right-side, between volume control & wpa-gui. And it looks good too (an Irish-Green Firewall Shield with a big Check through it). Heck, in my opinion it looks better than the Slacko one! Smile .

For any other Fatdog64 users out there, SFR's script is a beauty. It's simple, and it just works, with the mouse hovering over saying it says "Firewall is On". And the right click of the mouse on the tray icon lets me turn the firewall off, turn it back on, or even edit the config file.

James and Kirk need to put this little gem in the final Fatdog64 710 that comes out and all future versions. It is just one of those things that is at once beautiful, useful and powerful.

Thank you so much, SFR! (...also wanted to ask, is there any special place I should put the script so I can have it always load on startup? Maybe somewhere in the /usr files? Or should I use the Fatdog64 Control Panel, then "Desktop" tab, and then click on that "Manage desktop startup programs" and put your firewall script in either "personal startup programs" or "system startup programs"?

P.S. Kirk and James, if you're reading, you both need to try this script out from SFR, and get it in the Fatdog710. It's one of the things that yu go "duh, why didn't I have something like this in there before..." Very Happy
SFR

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr 2016, 17:57    Post subject:  

You're very welcome, glad you like it. Smile

Belham wrote:
...also wanted to ask, is there any special place I should put the script so I can have it always load on startup? Maybe somewhere in the /usr files? Or should I use the Fatdog64 Control Panel, then "Desktop" tab, and then click on that "Manage desktop startup programs" and put your firewall script in either "personal startup programs" or "system startup programs"?

Yeah, /etc/xdg/Startup or $HOME/Startup would be the best place for it, so you can easily manage it from Control Panel.

Greetings!

don570

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2016, 15:18    Post subject:  

Does momanager work in fatdog 702?

When I tried, a po file wasn't created by Geany.

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr 2016, 16:04    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:
Does momanager work in fatdog 702?

When I tried, a po file wasn't created by Geany.
don570

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:43    Post subject:  

Ah Yes.. Here it is. I'll test it out.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packages/710/momanager-2015.12.30-noarch-1.txz

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr 2016, 03:27    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:
Ah Yes.. Here it is. I'll test it out.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packages/710/momanager-2015.12.30-noarch-1.txz

Oh No.
After update of gslapt you should find momanager- 20160410-x86_64.

Feedback highly appreciated.
don570

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr 2016, 11:31    Post subject:  

Here it is..

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/contrib/packages/700/momanager-20160410-x86_64-PET.txz

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr 2016, 16:04    Post subject: Firefox 46.0
Subject description: broke update script

I just tried to update Firefox to 46.0 due to some serious vulnerabilities recently revealed. Looks like the update script wasn't smart enough. At the moment I'm running Google Chrome. This naturally allows all of Google's adware to get through. I've been running NoScript on Firefox.

I will try installing gtk-3 separately to see if that fixes the problem.
Belham

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr 2016, 18:49    Post subject: re: prehistoric  

Prehistoric,

Did you figure out the FF v46 problem? How do we install gtk-3? I mean, the gslapt packge manager doesn't bring anything back when I enter either "gtk-3" or "libgtk-3" or any variation thereof. I was able to update my Tahr64 6.0.5 CE USB sticks by just typing "libgtk-3" in the PPM, and it brought back the gtk-3 stuff needed for install to make FF v46 run smoothly (mainly the gui interface, versus the pre-FFv46 that used python).

I am a bit unsure how to go about getting gtk-3 into fatdogs (either the 702 and/or the 710). Do we have to compile the gtk-3 stuff ourselves, before we can load it?? That sounds like a headache as I wouldn't have the slightest idea where everything goes for gtk-related install.

As you, right now I've defaulted back to Google Chrome (which I hate because of all the adware and tracking), but I keep Chrome only for when I wanted to watch Netflix. I just downloaded Palemoon64 bit, installed it on Fatdog64-710, and went into about:config and closed off everything I could to make more hardened than normal, but it still is not addressing everything that FF v46 is regarding recent security issues found.

If you get gtk-3 installed and FF v46 working, would appreciate any tips and/or advice. I even downloaded the FF v46 tar.bz2 directly, tried to install it that way, but it plain refuses to run without the gtk-3 needed.

Thanks.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr 2016, 05:13    Post subject:  

Sorry, we don't have gtk3 libs for 702. I just built one for 710, but don't have enough energy to do the same for 702.
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr 2016, 05:32    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
Sorry, we don't have gtk3 libs for 702. I just built one for 710, but don't have enough energy to do the same for 702.

EDIT

I have packages I compiled in FatDog64-700 a while ago!

They *should* work to get firefox>=46.0 going in FatDog -700,701,702 (works in 700)

http://01micko.com/fatdog64/at-spi2-atk-2.8.1-x86_64-1.txz
http://01micko.com/fatdog64/at-spi2-core-2.8.0-x86_64-1.txz
http://01micko.com/fatdog64/gtk+3-3.8.2-x86_64-2.txz

c83d8a4aed663bcd805f9287828e1a5e at-spi2-atk-2.8.1-x86_64-1.txz
84caaa909deb8cc6cd85a3c8ba0cf121 at-spi2-core-2.8.0-x86_64-1.txz
727b24466c6712d172bbe6c766af6d0a gtk+3-3.8.2-x86_64-2.txz

-------------------------------------------------------

Original stuff below

Slackware64-14.1 gtk3 packages *might* work in 702 - I'll just check the dependencies - I know at-spi is one...

OK, here is the list -

+at-spi2-atk,+at-spi2-core,+atk,+bzip2,+cairo,+cxxlibs,+gcc-g++,+dbus,+expat,+fontconfig,+freetype,+gcc,+gdk-pixbuf2,+glib2,+harfbuzz,+icu4c,+libICE,+libSM,+libX11,+libXau,+libXcomposite,+libXcursor,+libXdamage,+libXdmcp,+libXext,+libXfixes,+libXi,+libXinerama,+libXrandr,+libXrender,+libffi,+libpng,+libxcb,+openssl-solibs,+openssl,+pango,+pixman,+util-linux,+zlib

Probably only need +at-spi2-atk,+at-spi2-core, and of course gtk+3-3.8.2-x86_64-2.txz as I believe others are in FatDog64.

YMMV, and I might get back to this later with a real test.

prehistoric

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:27    Post subject:  

01Micko's suggestions worked. I am now running Firefox 46.0, though my experience with major updates suggests this will not be stable until about 46.0.2.

The longer-term problem of being able to do anything safely on the Internet without becoming a wholly-owned subsidiary of some monster corporation remains.

Just how bad Internet security problems are is highlighted in some recent publications which show the U.S. Secret Service, EU CCC and UK CERT have suffered data breaches. At the other end of the spectrum there are still banks with unattended ATMs running Windows XP and connected to telephone lines.

One might also point out that the average web page now has more code and complexity than the early computer game appropriately titled DOOM. No telling what this will mean for the coming Internet of Things That Go Graunch in the Night.

As always, I forecast strange lights in the skies, earthquakes, tidal waves, monstrous births, and the collapse of civilization as we know it.
Belham

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:39    Post subject: prehistoric  

I got FF v46 working in both Fatdog64-710 (thanks to jamesbond's gtk-3 upload today) and also saw Micko's post for 702, and it works great.

As far as being "safe" on the Internet anymore, given how the Internet was originally designed (to be open, non-encrypted, etc,etc), something is going to have to change over the next few decades. It is spooky at how good coders/blackhats are becoming at standing in the middle of everything, without ever having to infect either end of, say for example, a bank transaction. He!!, the only thing I feel safe with nowadays is using U2F for email (and soon for banking), where I at least get a sense that I am not only relying on a twisted, contorted login name and even more, twisted, contorted password I've conjured up (and have to change religiously every month or so just for peace of mind). Login pictures and/or your own personal logo (as are logins & passwords) are a joke compared to U2F. As much as I hate Google, they are at least correct in pushing this (U2F) and a decent few Gmailers are finally adopting it. Google/Gmail just needs to drop the whole cellphone verification thing for Gmail to become 100% secure in terms of a user accessing it and their email. Now, them protecting your account safely is another matter entirely, lol. Besides, regarding the safety and the Internet, everyone knows a gut-wrenching attack (in terms of not millions, but hundreds of millions if not a billion or two disappearing from a large online bank's users collective accounts) is coming. It is just a matter of when, not if. And it will be another 2009-stock-market-mortgage-debacle event that will set the U.S. economy, Fed Reserve and fin'l markets back on their collective heels and will scare the beejeezus out of everyone. Only then we will see encrypted digital currencies truly take off.
Page 18 of 21 [309 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: