Is there an image viewer with slideshow?

Booting, installing, newbie
markofkane

Is there an image viewer with slideshow?

#1 Post by markofkane »

Can I get an image viewer for Puppy Linux that works like Windows Fax and Picture Viewer?

I want to be able to click an arrow to go to the next picture, without the list window. (Text of the names of the files)

I have a bunch of pictures in a NTFS partition I want to be able to view, one at a time, and be able to click to go to the next one. (Keyboard arrows)

Thanks!!

Fossil

#2 Post by Fossil »

You didn't say which version of Puppy you are using but, have you tried Fotox? Alternatively, GQView which, although it has a list view will, when 'F' is pressed, give full screen, then forward/back using the Page Up/Page Down keys.

WhoDo

#3 Post by WhoDo »

GPicView was made for exactly this purpose. Search here for the dotpet!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

markofkane

#4 Post by markofkane »

Thanks!!

But how can I get my images to open with gpicview? I don't have that option listed. I have to open gpicview, and browse and open the files.

markofkane

#5 Post by markofkane »

I think I got it, at least unless there is a better way:

I just put one image copy on my desktop, then drag it to gpicviewer

Then it will go to all the pictures in that same directory!!

If there is a better way, please let me know.

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

markofkane wrote:If there is a better way, please let me know.
Yep! For each image type - jpg, gif, png, etc - right click any image and choose "Set run action". In the bottom box of the resulting dialogue, where it says "Enter shell command", enter the following:

Code: Select all

gpicview "$1"
Once gpicview is open in a directory you just use the arrows to move through the images of any type. If it is supported by gpicview, you'll see it.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

markofkane

#7 Post by markofkane »

Thanks!! That works a lot better!!!

:D :D :D

HairyWill

#8 Post by HairyWill »

WhoDo wrote:GPicView was made for exactly this purpose. Search here for the dotpet!
both gpicview and gqview (does fullscreen slideshows) are in the puppy 4 repository, use the package manager on the setup menu.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

markofkane

#9 Post by markofkane »

Thanks, but I am not sure what you mean, does it have forward and back arrows too? I'll look, is it the install dialog?

Edit: I found it. I am waiting for it to install. :)

Pelo

viewnior, the usual image viewer in 2016, does it too.

#10 Post by Pelo »

gpicview, but viewnior, the usual image viewer in 2016, does it too.
What i fail is to change the order.
goal : to make a tutorial with xvidcap
Attachments
music.jpg
Change the background
(66.33 KiB) Downloaded 283 times

ebisu

Re: viewnior, the usual image viewer in 2016, does it too.

#11 Post by ebisu »

Last edited by ebisu on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

so rename pictures would be a good idea

#12 Post by Pelo »

so rename pictures would be a good idea :idea: Just think about that now...

perdido

#13 Post by perdido »

Something not mentioned yet is using ACDSee32 v2.0 under wine.

I have not found a simpler/ better image viewer than ACDSee32 2.0. It is a small older (1997) windows program that is fully functional when run under wine, that includes the file managing functions. It has slideshow/click for next image, /sort by name/date/size, copy/move/delete, zoom in/out and other functions.

ACDSee32 2.0 runs 100% functional under wine1.4_1.4 (probably other wine versions also)

To associate ACDSee32 2.0 with image files (for click to launch image with a file manager), first install your favorite windows file manager under wine, I use powerdesk 3.0 (powerdesk does not have all functions under wine!!) I use it because it was what I used in windows95/98/2k/XP

Then install ACDSee32 2.0 (probably other versions may work also) and associate image files with ACDSee32 (it does this during install as option)

Put powerdesk (or your favorite windows file manager) in your linux menu or desktop. Or put ACDSee32 2.0 in your linux menu or desktop. Or both if you prefer. I have both listed in my JWM menu.

What does not work with this:
- I have not been able to configure my linux file manager ( XFE or ROX ) to associate the image files(.jpg,.gif,.png,.tiff) to open with ACDsee32 2.0, that is the reason for running the windows file manager powerdesk 3.0 (or windows file manager of your choice)

- Some (newer) image formats do not work with ACDSee32 2.0

This is only what I use, not a recommendation as it is a wine solution and some people abstain from drinking the wine.

musher0

#14 Post by musher0 »

There are also XnView, qiv and geekie, that I know of.

XnView is an outstanding program. Has all kinds fo features for resizing, pivoting,
shading, etc. Works only with Qt, though. So XnView + Qt libraries mean BIG.

geekie allows different types of sort to show the pictures. (By reverse order, by date, etc.)

qiv is technically a CLI that will pop up a picture in the X environment. That said, with its
"qiv.command" script, once your picture is on screen, you can load it in mtpaint (among
lots of other possibilities) for editing. qiv also has a slideshow feature, but you have to
specify it beforehand on its command line.

Finally, mtpaint itself can be made to act as a viewer (but not slideshow) for all jpg or png
pictures say, in your /root/my-documents/my-images directory, with the command

Code: Select all

mtpaint -v *.jpg
The list of pictures appears on the right-hand side, and you browse through them with
your mouse or the arrows.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Pelo

thanks guys of your prompt attitude.

#15 Post by Pelo »

When the puppy help desk team wake up, solutions are raining ! thanks guys of your prompt attitude. :!: 'tous pour un, un pour tous'
Xvidcap or pAVrecord record a window on the screen.
my goal is to compare Music players (jukeboxes) available for our small but speedy Puppy. And to post it on you tube.
It will be the final touch of my long 'benchmark' in the past of the forum. :wink:
A ggod tuto should be understood by non french speeking people, slides being self explanatory.
The sneeky linux man on you tube comments how to do with a single image. But Non US (texan) people does not understand a single word except 'anyway', repeated a thousand times :!:

Burn_IT

#16 Post by Burn_IT »

If running under WINE is acceptable, Irfanview is my much preferred tool.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Pelo

i will try irfanview..

#17 Post by Pelo »

i will try irfanview.. This app is famous, hower never tried in Pelo's Studios.