XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pelo

XenialDog for frenchy guys

#41 Post by Pelo »

Gparted ext2 partition in pendrive.
Testing the process. At reboot my laptop quite explode, something bad :evil:

a- type setxkbmap fr in terminal (setxkb?qp fr)
b-/etc/default/keyboard change us by fr and save.
c - numlock to activate
d- copy bookmarks html from one of your archives
e- launch frisbee ( :) easy )
F launch Firefox browser
g launch puppy from your bookmarks
i enter your adsl password;
j feed back your flops and success to XenialDog topic.
K have a drunk :) and taste the menu if something new.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 04 May 2016, 10:25, edited 4 times in total.

mcewanw

Re: FFmpeg not needed for MP3. ?

#42 Post by mcewanw »

Pelo wrote:saves are now understood and run in my Linux partition (porteus). In my opinion that is the main difficulty for people used to Puppy.
8) thanks for the explanations.
:?: Where do you type Changes=/porteus in Live.cfg ?
What is Live.cfg? Why don't you just install to usb drive using the provided installer (XenialDog-Installer or whatever it is called) which uses standart grub4dos and then you just need the correct menu.lst that we are all used to setting up? I think that would be a lot easier than using some external usb creator program, which only a few people here on Puppy are likely to be familiar with. We can easily help you with grub4dos and menu.lst configuration though.

I don't have XenialDog on this computer so I can't verify the installer name but I imagine it is in Start menu -> Accessories or Utilities or System (probably Accessories).
Pelo wrote: Please confirm i cannot save to my pendrive because FAT32 is the format. Perhaps i should create a Partition ext2 in this pendrive using Gparted,
I am exploring.
Correct me if I am wrong Fred, but I think with porteus boot you cannot save changes to directory if ntfs or fat32 but you can save to these formats if you instead use changes.dat save file. Otherwise, Pelo, yes, you could create separate ext2 partition and use changes to directory with porteus boot.
Pelo wrote: Now i am facing to recording applications. No sound (Xvidcap and Precord)
Precord help told me that FFmpeg not needed for MP3.
Precord depends only on arecord and lame to record mp3 files (i.e. doesn't use ffmpeg for that) so you just need to check both these are part of the installation using:

Code: Select all

which arecord

which lame
If these commands indicate the presence of arecord and lame then Precord should record mp3 fine once the volume mixer (alsamixer) has been correctly set up capture input source; for example: capture from internal microphone or whatever you wish to use as your input source.

Clicking the Mixer button in Precord config screen will bring up alsamixer and by talking into microphone you should see if working in the also provided VU display. If VU not moving in response to microphone speaking than adjust the Capture settings in alsamixer window and select Mic for input and maybe some Mic boost for more sensitivity - all that is in alsamixer settings. Once thus set up and alsarecord and lame verified as being installed then precord will record fine as usual. The only occasion exception is if the sound card isn't in the usual card 0 device 0 soundcard location - if not, you would need to try position 0,1 or 1,0 or 1,1 (by ticking the relevant card,device checkboxes) - usually you just leave them blank though to indicate card,device = 0,0

EDIT: Worth mentioning, I think, that arecord -l (an L) will list the card,device numbers for the sound devices on your system.

William
Last edited by mcewanw on Wed 04 May 2016, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

Pelo

Merci de votre aide.

#43 Post by Pelo »

:) happy to 'get a little help from my friends' -Joe Cocker- here
Appreciated because some Puppy-builders let users burn their puplet and leave a few days later..
:? flops
So Many...
:P success
Lili Linux USB Creator, unless the whole USB is formated Fat 32,

mcewanw ... you can use XenialDog install process, ... if XenialDog yet installed (I don't burn CDs) :!:
Audio : You Tube music plays, no flashplayer to install. Bravo !
I am used to set parameters retrovol and alsamixer. Precord would miss lame (quite sure) and Xvidcap too, of course.

I was happy enough with Tahrpup and its quickpet, and its Qt Libraries. Which idea they had to delete FFmpeg, very bad idea.

root@xenial:~# which arecord
/usr/bin/arecord
root@xenial:~# which lame
root@xenial:~#

"What is Live.cfg? Why don't you just install to usb drive using the provided installer (XenialDog-Installer or whatever it is called) which uses standart grub4dos and then you just need the correct menu.lst that we are all used to setting up? I think that would be a lot easier " That is true. From time to time, i like to 'walk on the wild side ' 8) With XenialDog, as to-day.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 04 May 2016, 10:09, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

grub4dos boot : denied (Lili USB Creator Will be elected)

#44 Post by Pelo »

grub4dos boot
only accepts to boot in always fresh mode because NTFS or Fat Found in ./
USB reformated and XenialDog installed with Lili USB creator,
My 'pupsave' loads at boot, Porteus process.
I erased all my infructuous tries.
It when the Puppy is installed that users really begin to work. Mounting a video is a long long way.... but that is a hobby, more than booting the puppies. :P

That does the job :

label XenialDog Porteus Always Fresh
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz from=/ nomagic base_only norootcopy

label XenialDog Porteus in RAM (save in changes=/changes.dat file)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/mnt/sda3/Porteus/changes.dat :!: this one.

label XenialDog casper-boot in RAM (save in casper-rw file or partition)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd.lz boot=casper ignore_uuid cdrom-detect/try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs toram persistent

fredx181

#45 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:itle XenialDog - porteus-boot - in RAM save on EXIT changes=/changes.dat file
uuid 629C-631F
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ noauto copy2ram changes=EXIT:/changes.dat
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz
Above is for when changes.dat savefile is on the root of a partition.
It should work but I'd recommend to have it in a folder with unique name e.g. xendog, in that case, create folder xendog (e.g. /mnt/sda3/xendog):

Title XenialDog - porteus-boot - in RAM save on EXIT changes=/xendog/changes.dat file
uuid 629C-631F
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ noauto copy2ram changes=EXIT:/xendog/changes.dat
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz
No full path needed, it will be found at boot

If "xendog" is on a ext2/3/4 partition you can use save to folder,

changes=EXIT:/xendog/
Hope it's clear now.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 04 May 2016, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#46 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: If "xendog" is on a ext partition you can use save to folder,

changes=EXIT:/xendog/
Hope it's clear now.

Fred
But is it correct, as far as I recall, that if xendog is on a fat32 or ntfs partition you can use a save file called changes.dat (in /xendog folder)? And you should construct changes.dat first, in that xendog folder, to whatever size is most suitable for you needs. And on kernel line of menu.lst you then need this part:

changes=EXIT:/xendog/changes.dat
when underlying partition for the changes.dat save file is ntfs or fat32?

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#47 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:changes=EXIT:/xendog/changes.dat

when underlying partition for the changes.dat save file is ntfs or fat32?
Yes, savefile placed on fat32 works in any case, but for ntfs, I think hibernation should be disabled (in Windows).
If it's enabled it probably won't work.

Fred

fredx181

#48 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:Now i am facing to recording applications. No sound (Xvidcap and Precord)
Precord help told me that FFmpeg not needed for MP3.
Yes, I could not record sound with xvidcap either, thanks for reporting.
I must admit that some apps I didn't test properly yet, for next ISO release it will be different.

New version of xvidcap, 1.1.7a, install:

apt-get update
apt-get install xvidcap
Or from Synaptic: First: Reload, then search xvidcap and install/upgrade.
Changed: removed dependency of pulseaudio, (works fine with oss driver /dev/dsp)
This way install space required will be a lot smaller also.

New version of precord, 9.0.4, install:

apt-get update
apt-get install precord
Changed: Added dependency: lame
Or from Synaptic: First: Reload, then search precord and install/upgrade.

Changes added to Changes and fixes list

Fred

musher0

#49 Post by musher0 »

Hi, FredX.

I tested your XenialDog on a HP Compaq 6715b portable.

The boot process got me to the X window and jwm (?), but it was unusable: the screen
was full of triangles (such as "dented fanions with mites eating at the colors".) That
sentence sounds like poetry but it isn't! No fun at all!

Never had that problem before. I got boots to black screen now and then on a very small
number of Puppies, but this is new.

BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mcewanw

#50 Post by mcewanw »

Hello musher0,

I haven't myself tried out DDXenial but will do tonight so my experiences with it may help you out since my machine is an old HP Elitebook 2530P. Most of these older HP machines are pretty similar and I can also later try out DDXenial on an HP 6730P, which one of my friends have. It would be useful to know the complete specs of your machine including processor, RAM, and the graphics chip it has, in order to make a comparison.

Also, I note there is a XenialPup now available in beta; have you tried that out? If that works for you then I expect it should be easy enough to get DDXenial working on your machine too since most of the underlying software/drivers are likely the same.

FYI, my HP Elitebook 2530P main specs (just read whilst in TahrPup) are Intel CPU Core2 Duo L9600 2.13GHz; 2 GB RAM; Intel Integrated Graphics with Kernet driver i915 (VGA controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07) Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30e1); 1200 x 800 pixel resolution LCD (your machine probably more since bigger screen);

I'll let you know my own results once I have them (never had any problem with any of the DebianDogs or Mintpup on my HP machines as yet).

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#51 Post by mcewanw »

Hi musher0 and also Fred,

On my above-mentioned HP Elitebook 2530P laptop.

Created folder called DDXenial32 on my /dev/sda7 ext2 partition, downloaded XenialDog iso and, whilst in tahrpup, clicked on it and extracted its whole casper folder (only) into that DDXenial32 folder. Used the following grub4dos menu.lst entries to boot XenialDog:

title PorteusDog Xenial32 openbox (sda7)
root (hd0,6)
kernel /DDXenial32/casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/DDXenial32/ changes=EXIT:/DDXenial32/casper/
initrd /DDXenial32/casper/initrd1.xz
Booted fine and no X display issues on this machine as it turns out.

Only problem is that I rely on wifi for connection and Frisbee wouldn't connect, but I'm pretty sure that is simply because you have forgotten to include rfkill command again Fred, which is required for these particular HP machines to connect! ;-)

By the way, I've forgotten (assuming I ever knew) how to post screenshots in the nice uncluttered form you use Fred.

William
Attachments
xendog1-20160505081600.jpg
XenialDog after no issue booting on HP Elitebook
(62.08 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
github mcewanw

saintless

#52 Post by saintless »

Maybe this is the problem:
Why Radeon Users May Want to Avoid Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
musher0 wrote:...HP Compaq 6715b portable...
VGA ATI Radeon X1250
mcewanw wrote:... HP Elitebook 2530P...
...HP 6730P...
VGA Intel GMA 4500MHD
VGA Intel GMA 4500MHD
VGA Intel GMA X4500 HD

Toni

mcewanw

#53 Post by mcewanw »

Ah... It seems your HP Compaq machine is very different with AMD Turion 64 X2 CPU and ATI Radeon X1250 graphics? Sorry, musher0, I can't help with that one.

William

EDIT: Yes, Toni, I think the same - didn't notice your post since was just posting my above response at about same time...
github mcewanw

Pelo

A pendrive couldn't be partionned Fat32 and ext 3

#54 Post by Pelo »

mcewanw m'a écrit :
"Correct me if I am wrong Fred, but I think with porteus boot you cannot save changes to directory if ntfs or fat32 but you can save to these formats if you instead use changes.dat save file. Otherwise, Pelo, yes, you could create separate ext2 partition and use changes to directory with porteus boot. "

My goal was saving on my pendrive, it's my usage at home.
Now i save on Hard drive, linux Partition formated ext3.
I erased what i wrote on the forum about my failing tries,
one of them was partioning pendrive in one fat32 section (ISO) and the second ext2 for my data. At reboot the computer made a continuous sound, nothing started.
Conclusion : what i am interested in is what applications are available for download which i could not install with a classic Puppy. So i will keep save on my Hard drive, it's not a huge handicap, just a change in my habits.

Pelo

lame missing for audio recording

#55 Post by Pelo »

about lame missing for audio recording, to-day i saw thar Asri edu has lame available in its blog. If anyone knows where lame is available elsewhere, i would not refuse the information.
Solved : available in the packages. Recording voice with Precord without trouble.
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 07 May 2016, 15:21, edited 2 times in total.

musher0

#56 Post by musher0 »

mcewanw wrote:Ah... It seems your HP Compaq machine is very different with AMD Turion 64 X2 CPU and ATI Radeon X1250 graphics? Sorry, musher0, I can't help with that one.

William

EDIT: Yes, Toni, I think the same - didn't notice your post since was just posting my above response at about same time...
Many thanks, William and Toni.
Quite informative. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mcewanw

#57 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Fred,

Just confirming that I got my wlf1 wireless connected after first installing rfkill. Did have problem getting Frisbee to connect (had to go to Diagnostics and Edit config to allow restart networks). Presumably Frisbee connection would be fine if I first remastered with rfkill included. I haven't remastered.

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Re: lame missing for audio recording

#58 Post by mcewanw »

Pelo wrote:about lame missing for audio recording, to-day i saw thar Asri edu has lame available in its blog. If anyone knows where lame is available elsewhere, i would not refuse the information.
That lame you mention is a dotpet for Puppies of course. In Debian/Ubuntu Dogs you can, as Fred said, simply install lame with:

apt-get update

followed by:

apt-get install lame
or via GUI package manager 'Synaptics'

lame is available in the other DebianDog OS's already and Fred will include it in next iso for XenialDog.

Note that you also need to change some habits when using Debian-style package management. Pretty much all available Linux software is available straight from the Debian/Ubuntu repositories. You can search for packages using Synaptic Package Manager or via commandline using 'apt-cache search'. For example:

apt-cache search abiword
which returns a whole lot of info including the needed one:

"abiword - efficient, featureful word processor with collaboration"

which you could then install from the commandline (including its auto-resolved dependencies) with:

apt-get install abiword
(assuming you have already or recently run 'apt-get update')

Or again, if you prefer, you can find and install using GUI package manager from StartMenu -> System -> Synaptic Package Manager

If you ever want to get rid of it (or any other program installed) you can either use Synaptic Package Manager to do so or at command line:

apt-get remove abiword

or more thorough removal to (include the apps configuration files) with

apt-get purge abiword
Occasionally the underlying packaging database system (dpkg) tells you some stuff has been left behind but is not being used. You can then remove such junk with:

apt-get autoremove
Similarly, it very occasionally happens (more often when using dpkg utility directly rather than the apt utility) that some dependencies haven't been fully installed. You generally can get that auto-fixed by typing command:

apt-get install -f
Worth mentioning also that Fred has created/included some utilities for creating sfs (squashfs) files from apt fetched packages (rather than installing them directly). For example in MainMenu -> Module Tools -> AptToSfs. Note also that you can create a special small sfs for ffmpeg from MainMenu -> Module Tools -> FFmpeg2sfs. You can activate/load/unload these sfs files directly from File Manager via provided right-click activate/deactivate module commands. And you can quickly remaster your installed system via MainMenu -> System -> RemasterDog. Its a very very flexible system. You can also stick your squashfs files (which should have that extension) inside your casper folder and that causes them to be auto-loaded at boot time.

William
github mcewanw

dancytron

#59 Post by dancytron »

Correct me if I am wrong.

The one thing to remember about remastering, is that it includes the things that are in any *.squashfs files you've loaded but that those things are not included in the database that is keeping track of all the installed files.

So remember to unload any *.squashfs files before remastering so apt-get doesn't get confused later on.

Pelo

Mcewanw, merci, your information is useful.

#60 Post by Pelo »

Mcewanw, merci, your information is useful. My computer has to produce what i ask it, not me to satisfy what is provided.
:( lame was not found by XenialDog packags manager. lame-3.98.4-i686.sfs: 512 K provided via adri edu repo, to be tested
XenialDog with recording not available was not worth leaving Puppy Linux.
What i Miss in Puppy is stuff for video editing, and recording the audio is part of it.
I have Dolby system in my computer and NVIDIA Optimus. Until now both are not usable by Linux. But i don't really them for my comments.
The goal is to extract from national videos the part concerning the local soccer teams. and join them to other local information, mostly cultural... free of charge :!: